Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I went out to my local Gamestop yesterday and bought the Circle Pad Pro for my old 3DS XL because I have a couple of games that can use it (RE: Revelations and Kid Icarus). I'm an idiot who didn't realise that it requires one AAA battery and for a bit I thought that it was defective, but now it's fine. I actually think that I might use it all the time because it really improves the 3DS for me ergonomically. I bought one of those soft grip devices and that helped a bit, but I think that this is even better. The downside, of course, is that it makes the system a lot larger. Can't win them all, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

The downside, of course, is that it makes the system a lot larger. Can't win them all, I suppose.

The other downside is that it makes the normal R button hard to reach. The R button on the Circle Pad Pro doesn't work with games that don't use it (so almost all of them).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

This week's drop

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Magician Lord | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Jackbox Party Pack | NA | PAL | $24.99 / £18.99 / €20.99 (eShop Only)
Jackbox Party Pack 2 | NA | PAL | $24.99 / £18.99 / €20.99 (eShop Only)
Sky Ride | NA | PAL | $ ? / £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)
Sonic Mania | NA | PAL | $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99 (eShop Only) (August 15)
Troll and I | NA | PAL | $29.99 / £24.99 / €34.99 (eShop Only) (August 15)

3DS
Alchemic Dungeons | NA | $5.00 (eShop Only)
Chicken Wiggle | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £13.49 / €14.99 (eShop Only)
Little Adventure on the Prairie | NA | PAL | $ ? / £2.99 / €3.49 (eShop Only)
SmileBASIC | PAL | £ ? / € ? (eShop Only)

:siren: Buy Sonic Mania, it's really good. :siren:

(Don't buy Troll and I though)

ACA NeoGeo Magician Lord is a side-scrolling action game, and was one of the NeoGeo launch titles. Jackbox Party Pack 1&2 are both dropping, and do exactly what they say on the tin. Sky Ride is an indie action game where you fly on a hover bike around a map, fighting enemies. It's apparently not very good.

On 3DS, NA are getting Alchemic Dungeons, which dropped in PAL region recently. It's a Roguelike turn-based action RPG. Both regions are getting Chicken Wiggle, a platformer which includes a Level creator. PAL region is getting Little Adventure on the Prairie - it may also be dropping in NA, it's marked as "TBD" there. Also, PAL is finally getting SmileBASIC, which was released in NA 2 years ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Thoughts on magician lord? I'm in a neo geo collecting lately (digital titles though)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Ineffiable posted:

Thoughts on magician lord? I'm in a neo geo collecting lately (digital titles though)

Be dead down here.

(It's a quarter muncher, basically.)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

FAST rmx is getting a free update in September, adding 6 new tracks and finally getting released in Japan

Still one of my favourite Switch games, hopefully all the new Japanese players will provide some real competition :smug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Also it looks like the Switch is getting Paypal support (at least in Japan, to start).

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Looks like Puzzled (Joy Joy Kid) is our NeoGeo drop for this week (at least in Japan). Something of a Tetris clone where you have to release a balloon from the bottom of the screen. Check it out.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

iajanus posted:

Also it looks like the Switch is getting Paypal support (at least in Japan, to start).

Can confirm it also appearing in Europe.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I only just got a Switch today so idk how long its been there, but its also on my very patriotic american system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

I only just got a Switch today so idk how long its been there, but its also on my very patriotic american system

Congrats on your epic purchase

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thank you friend, I couldn't have done it without the support of all those that bought switches before me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Thank you friend, I couldn't have done it without the support of all those that bought switches before me

As long as you don't gently caress ME OVER ON SPLAT ZONES, ITS OBVIOUS. THERES ONE OBJECTIVE loving PAY ATTENTION TO THE MAP!!!, you'll love the purchase

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah the NeoGeo games are released in all 3 regions together so far. In general, the Switch eShop has been very good at releasing stuff in NA and PAL simultaneously. There have been a few exceptions, but so far those have only been released maybe a few weeks apart (I think the longest was Flip Wars releasing in NA about a month after PAL). And anyway, the shop is region free so you can just create a separate NA or PAL Nintendo account and login to the shop with that if you want something from another shop (or a JP account also).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rexroom posted:

Can confirm it also appearing in Europe.

Can you actually use a non-JP card to buy stuff off the JP eShop using it, though? PSN has PayPal support and blocks PayPal transactions using bank accounts/cards not from the same region as the store.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lemon-Lime posted:

Can you actually use a non-JP card to buy stuff off the JP eShop using it, though? PSN has PayPal support and blocks PayPal transactions using bank accounts/cards not from the same region as the store.

Just buy a gift card on play-asia. Easy as pie.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Amazon JP sells eshop credit and download codes also, and accept foreign credit cards

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, the entire draw of being able to use PayPal on the other eShops is that you don't need to go through Amazon or Play Asia first, which is why I'd like to know. :v:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

iajanus posted:

Just buy a gift card on play-asia. Easy as pie.

Do not buy from Play-Asia. Find any other avenue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

Do not buy from Play-Asia. Find any other avenue.

What's wrong with Play-Asia? :confused:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A dumb K-T PR person tried to make out that the reason DOAX wasn't getting a western release was because it was too sexy for westerners, which the anti-censorship/SJW types jumped on. Play-Asia inadvisably tried to ride that wave to advertise you could still buy it from there, that's kind of it.
Everyone else has forgotten about it by now.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

As a Westerner, I find sexy ladies very offensive.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean the whole thing was dumb from all sides but I'm not gonna boycott a company I've only ever had good dealings with over it, especially since that's the only bad thing they've ever done to my knowledge.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I had a friend who worked there until very recently. Her reason for quitting was that, according to her, most of the management has changed over the past year and it's become a very hostile place to work, but that's all very second-hand and I guess doesn't directly affect the consumer.

I never actually bought stuff from them either way so I hardly care other than I guess I now also have a "Play-Asia = bad now" bias in my head thanks to her griping.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

A dumb K-T PR person tried to make out that the reason DOAX wasn't getting a western release was because it was too sexy for westerners, which the anti-censorship/SJW types jumped on. Play-Asia inadvisably tried to ride that wave to advertise you could still buy it from there, that's kind of it.
Everyone else has forgotten about it by now.

You can currently use the code "CENSORED" on their website for a discount. It is advertised at the beginning of every Censored Gaming YouTube video. They are riding that wave to this day, and you should not support them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol welp

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Takoluka posted:

You can currently use the code "CENSORED" on their website for a discount. It is advertised at the beginning of every Censored Gaming YouTube video. They are riding that wave to this day, and you should not support them.

Is there something I'm missing here or are you suggesting that we avoid a company because they ran a promotion...?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Enallyniv posted:

Is there something I'm missing here or are you suggesting that we avoid a company because they ran a promotion...?

Their promotion is a direct appeal to the gamergate flipout over a game being "censored" by not being localized. It's not banned by the US government, the NA branch of the publisher just didn't want to deal with all the baggage that comes from the titty game this time around. These people are constantly trying to move the goalposts of what censorship means, and we shouldn't encourage an import company that actively validates them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

the NA branch of the publisher just didn't want to deal with all the baggage that comes from the titty game this time around.

also the previous games sold like hot garbage in the west so there's no real incentive for them to bother
:capitalism:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
First they didn't choose to release the sexy video game and I said nothing because that's totally their call.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Takoluka posted:

That sounds like the way a lot of generic promo codes work today, insomuch as you get a tiny discount by entering the name of the place that sent you, since that's def related to that channel.

Do other sites have their own promo codes for play asia?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

grand theft grotto posted:

First they didn't choose to release the sexy video game and I said nothing because that's totally their call.
:same:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

This week's drop.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Puzzled | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
forma.8 | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (eShop Only)
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle | NA | PAL | $59.99 / £ ? / €59.99 (eShop / Retail) (Aug 29)
Minecraft Story Mode: The Complete Adventure | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Aug 22 NA / ? PAL)
Piczle Lines DX | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £13.99 / €14.99 (eShop Only)

WiiU
Final Soldier (TG16) | PAL | £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Soldier Blade (TG16) | PAL | £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)

For anyone who is unaware, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is an X-Com-esque tactical game featuring both Mario and, well, Rabbid characters. Ubisoft handled development, but it actually looks quite good despite that (impressions are positive from people who have played it also). It may be somewhat shorter than you might expect though, it seems to be roughly 16-20 hours long. There has been DLC announced already, which will include some co-op maps later this year, and "new story content" in 2018. The Season Pass is $20.

Also on Switch this week, Puzzled is a sort of Tetris clone originally released by SNK in 1990. forma.8 is a Metroidvania, it's on WiiU also. Minecraft Story Mode was released this week in NA, both retail and digital. Piczle Lines DX is a sort of Picross clone, but you draw lines instead of filling in squares.

In PAL territories, there are two more TG-16 games on the Virtual Console - Final Soldier, and Soldier Blade.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

Their promotion is a direct appeal to the gamergate flipout over a game being "censored" by not being localized. It's not banned by the US government, the NA branch of the publisher just didn't want to deal with all the baggage that comes from the titty game this time around. These people are constantly trying to move the goalposts of what censorship means, and we shouldn't encourage an import company that actively validates them.

For all of the lovely things that lovely companies do, this seems like the most forced moral outrage I've seen in a while.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Fremry posted:

For all of the lovely things that lovely companies do, this seems like the most forced moral outrage I've seen in a while.

Yes, especially since that happened 2-3 years ago.

Bringing it up like its current is just desperation.

Most of the things that spurred from that event was forced.

Back on topic, Sonic Mania was the most fun i've had playing a new game in years and other than a few minor glitches i absolutely recommend it.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Also, I guess they didn't make a big announcement for it, There's a Pokken DX demo, which allows for 15(?!) matches.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
bummer that to use PayPal to buy things from a different region eshop the paypal account has to match that region. Was hoping this would finally be an easy way to buy games from other regions with exact funds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

This week's drop.

Switch
ACA NeoGeo Puzzled | NA | PAL | $7.99 / £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
forma.8 | NA | PAL | $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (eShop Only)
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle | NA | PAL | $59.99 / £ ? / €59.99 (eShop / Retail) (Aug 29)
Minecraft Story Mode: The Complete Adventure | NA | PAL | $39.99 / £ ? / € ? (eShop / Retail) (Aug 22 NA / ? PAL)
Piczle Lines DX | NA | PAL | $14.99 / £13.99 / €14.99 (eShop Only)

WiiU
Final Soldier (TG16) | PAL | £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)
Soldier Blade (TG16) | PAL | £6.29 / €6.99 (eShop Only)

For anyone who is unaware, Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle is an X-Com-esque tactical game featuring both Mario and, well, Rabbid characters. Ubisoft handled development, but it actually looks quite good despite that (impressions are positive from people who have played it also). It may be somewhat shorter than you might expect though, it seems to be roughly 16-20 hours long. There has been DLC announced already, which will include some co-op maps later this year, and "new story content" in 2018. The Season Pass is $20.

Also on Switch this week, Puzzled is a sort of Tetris clone originally released by SNK in 1990. forma.8 is a Metroidvania, it's on WiiU also. Minecraft Story Mode was released this week in NA, both retail and digital. Piczle Lines DX is a sort of Picross clone, but you draw lines instead of filling in squares.

In PAL territories, there are two more TG-16 games on the Virtual Console - Final Soldier, and Soldier Blade.

How is there not a proper picross yet on this thing, I need puzzles

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
A handful of the Sega 3d classics are 55% off in PALand so I picked up Streets of Rage and OutRun and am thinking about Fantasy Zone 2.

It's a shame they never did Streets of Rage 3 in this range because the pushed in diorama style 3d works really well for those games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
A double shame since that would have been a quick and easy way of playing the Japanese version of 3 that didn't have all those dumb changes.

Sonic 3 would have been nice just so the whole trilogy was complete, but we all know that unless its a straight port it isn't happening.