Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the default number of friends is 250 isn't it

i mean i know everyone here is probably super popular and awesome but i think to hit that you have to have a pretty loose definition of "friend"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

corn in the bible posted:

Steam Level actually affects how many friends you can have on Steam for some inane reason

I think that was their intended pain point for getting people to buy in even if they didn't care about badges.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

corn in the bible posted:

Steam Level actually affects how many friends you can have on Steam for some inane reason
that's fine because no one sane is hitting their friend limit anyways. nobody actually knows or regularly plays with that many people.

I have 65 friends and my friends list already feels a bit bloated to me, I don't really know almost half these people.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i know everyone here is probably super popular and awesome but i think to hit that you have to have a pretty loose definition of "friend"

And anyone who has been Steam user for a while and doesn't use it for just a couple games will be level 10-15 with 50+ extra "friend" slots without doing anything special for it.
I was lvl 14 before crafting any badges.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

IronicDongz posted:

that's fine because no one sane is hitting their friend limit anyways. nobody actually knows or regularly plays with that many people.

I have 65 friends and my friends list already feels a bit bloated to me, I don't really know almost half these people.
I hit the limit after trading for a while + the first time I gifted goons on my birthday. Started regularly purging my friends list after that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sininu posted:

And anyone who has been Steam user for a while and doesn't use it for just a couple games will be level 10-15 with 50+ extra "friend" slots without doing anything special for it.
I was lvl 14 before crafting any badges.

yeah i just checked and having been part of steam since time immemorial and literally having performed no action with badges and cards in that time i'm apparently level 16

Xander77 posted:

I hit the limit after trading for a while + the first time I gifted goons on my birthday. Started regularly purging my friends list after that.

man it would be a hilarious catch-22 if the people having the most problems with the steam friends limit are only people who are knee deep in the trading card game in the first place

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have about 500/700 friends, mostly from the goon groups. Purge people who are offline for 30 days. Being at my level does get me about two boosters a week and that 30 cents builds up for the big sales. Every bit of it from credit.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I'm at like 400 something of 460 something and it's mainly from that one time I posted my profile during one of the steam sales years ago when people were all "yo let's add goons as friends" I should probably purge my friends list sometime.

edit: vv Probably.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 17, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

this is going to be the steam equivalent of the people who keep hundreds of tabs open in their internet browser and never close it isn't it

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That stuff is automated now.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
80-90 has been pretty hard to level up for me (87). I might stop at 100 where that shape change happens. Also, huge friend lists are nice for leaderboards in games just for comparing.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
http://store.steampowered.com/app/676820/Subsurface_Circular/ is a cool little game about robots and their place in human society. Basically a Visual Novel, so don't expect any gameplay apart from conversations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

ymgve posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/676820/Subsurface_Circular/ is a cool little game about robots and their place in human society. Basically a Visual Novel, so don't expect any gameplay apart from conversations.

Ooooh, Mike Bithell. Maybe I'll like this one. Loved Thomas Was Alone and didn't like Volume.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The Devil May Cry reboot is on sale right now, and I've been having a good time with it. The combat is pretty cool, the art direction is amazing and I get to punch demons until they explode. DMC4 is also on sale if you wanna go all purist too.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I actually think the DMC reboot is ok but holy poo poo DMC 4 is a far far better game, it's not just a purist thing.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

il_cornuto posted:

I actually think the DMC reboot is ok but holy poo poo DMC 4 is a far far better game, it's not just a purist thing.

I'm sorry for insulting your videogame. DMC4 is also good!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
DmC was my first ever Devil May Cry and it just made me confused as to why anyone ever even liked the series, so that's my two cents there. Once I played earlier games it was like, oh, I get it now.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

wow i was going to pick up the special edition of dmc4 but am i correct in understanding that all the dlc save for the trish and lady costumes is paying to unlock stuff that you can unlock just by playing the game

or is it even worse and you have to pay to have that content in the game at all?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Here's Lethal Laser: http://store.steampowered.com/app/669390
A tower defense game all about managing lasers with reflections and refractions and whatever else you can do with lasers. It's a really cool idea but it looks like trash!

this looks dope as hell actually. kinda reminiscient of onslaught 2

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Gerblyn posted:

The Devil May Cry reboot is on sale right now, and I've been having a good time with it. The combat is pretty cool, the art direction is amazing and I get to punch demons until they explode. DMC4 is also on sale if you wanna go all purist too.

Quality of the game aside, it was 1$ not long ago so I really doubt there's anyone in these forums who wanted it and didn't get at the time

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

wow i was going to pick up the special edition of dmc4 but am i correct in understanding that all the dlc save for the trish and lady costumes is paying to unlock stuff that you can unlock just by playing the game

or is it even worse and you have to pay to have that content in the game at all?

Correct, aside from the costumes the DLC is just early unlocks.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
WOW, this game actually made it out of EA today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyd3o0CXVY

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow, really? I bought that game years ago. I would have to think that anyone who wants it already owns it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Venuz Patrol posted:

this looks dope as hell actually. kinda reminiscient of onslaught 2
Right? I just wish the art assets weren't garbo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Remember Me is aptly named because it's something I do whenever there's a Capcom sale.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
GamersGate has the cheapest Tales of Berseria deal ever so far

Also, do not get Zestiria

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harminoff posted:

WOW, this game actually made it out of EA today?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiyd3o0CXVY

But does it actually have a game now? For years it's just been tiny incremental upgrades to the building system which is boring by itself.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Knobb Manwich posted:

The game is still there I'm just wary of futzing about trying to learn basic poo poo like "why did my skirmishers calmly walk towards the enemy skirmishers, let them get a volley off, let them retreat, while still sedately walking forward when they've been given a right-click attack order, repeat" within the 2 hours. Maybe they have more range than I do? Height difference? Different guns? Are my guys just really sporting and don't like shooting enemies in the back? Things like left click hold to draw movement arrows or select multiple units, right click hold to draw a defensive line is fairly self-explanatory.

Sounds like you ordered your skirmishers to walk at a longer-ranged enemy and the enemy fired on you then ran away. If you click the "run" button they should get into range and shoot, though obviously they'll absorb a volley while doing so.

quote:

I hate not having even a rough idea of what units are, what they do, what to expect from them.

There are four main types of unit:

Infantry - these are usually large blocks of men, up to 2500 in a unit in the player army, though you do occasionally see more in special units. They're good for standing and fighting, but not as good man-for-man at melee as melee cavalry, and not as good in a firefight as skirmishers. Basically get them into range of the enemy and let them shoot all day. Bonus points if you can get them to be shooting the enemy while in cover. If you're desperate to dislodge an enemy quickly, you can order them to charge, but I wouldn't advise this without 3-to-1 odds in your favour. Ideally you want to have a unit shooting into any melee they engage in, too.

Skirmishers - smaller dispersed groups of men, up to 750 in a unit (I think). They take less damage from shooting due to their dispersed nature. They tend to be equipped with longer ranged or faster-firing weapons to give them an edge in shooting matches. Dismounted cavalry falls into this category.

Cavalry - There are two main types of this, the shooting kind, and the melee kind. The melee kind has something short-ranged like revolvers or sawn-off shotguns and a saber, the shooting kind tends to have a carbine (like a cut-down rifle that fires more often but at less range). I tend to prefer the melee kind since I find I have tons of guys in my army who can shoot, but only a few that can run down that goddamn artillery the enemy put in an exposed location. Melee cavalry is best employed charging at artillery that's not looking at you, or going after skirmishers - big blocks of infantry tend to have the edge in numbers over them.

Artillery - There are lots of types of cannons in the game, but they all do more-or-less what you'd expect a cannon to do. However, things get interesting when you consider the ammunition types. There are three in the game - solid shot, shell, and canister. Solid shot is used at long range, and makes a lot of noise but doesn't do much damage, shell is medium range and does some damage, while canister is a shotgun from hell that does all the damage. Rifled cannons tend to be good at long range, smoothbores and howitzers tend to be better at canister shot.

There's a little information button in the bottom-left of the screen during a battle that you can click to see what weapons a unit has, along with other details of them.

quote:

Or for terrain features, like roughly how much force do you need to apply to uproot 400 men from a defensive position, how beneficial that high ground is, that forest. Some kind of guided scenarios to give me a basic tactics tool box for situations like attacking, defending, delaying, scouting would be pretty good, and even better if I didn't have to turn the game off to go look for it. Or break from the campaign and save just before an attack, see how it goes, load and try another tactic.

This is the most frustrating part of any game when I don't know poo poo about how it works, and instead of doing something to ease me into it they're wasting my time with tips like, "general important gives buff to friendlies". That's awesome mate but I'm only mildly retarded and could figure that one out.

For terrain features the unfortunate answer is "It depends". Generally guys in good cover tend to take half of the damage from shooting that guys in the open do, so I guess you could send two men to their every one and expect to draw? If you need those 400 men dislodged in a hurry you could try sending 1200 men in a charge, but it's good to have more to shoot into the melee.

Attacking is difficult - many generals in the American Civil War never really got the hang of it. You will take horrible casualties pretty much however you try it, but the main trick to learn is flanking. Enemy line infantry can only face one way, so if you can fix them with one unit and send another round 90 or more degrees to their line, they'll take horrible morale penalties for being shot in the side or back and will rout out of their nice cover. Bringing your artillery up close behind your attacking units helps a lot too.

Defending is easy, though it can often not feel that way against a determined attacker. One good trick in defending is to have a unit or two behind your frontline to shoot into any melees the enemy initiates. Make sure you have your artillery close behind your defensive line - there's a bit of a tradeoff involved though. Too close and they'll take damage from stray bullets, too far and they won't be able to use their better ammunition types.

Delaying is difficult - the main trick to know for this is that infantry units have a button for detaching skirmishers from the main units. When needing to retreat, have all your infantry units detach their skirmishers, then the infantry units run for it while the skirmishers shoot at the enemy. You might well lose the skirmishers, but better losing a portion of your force than the whole lot.

Scouting is simple - get a fast, disposable unit to a high place with lots of sight lines. Cavalry are great for this. You'll occasionally see places marked with an "eyeball" symbol, these are particularly good places to have scouts and will show you lots of the map.

Lemme know if you have any other questions, Ultimate General: Civil War is one of the best RTSes I've ever played.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
I feel good about my Rookie Arcade run in Nex Machina:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Orv posted:

But does it actually have a game now? For years it's just been tiny incremental upgrades to the building system which is boring by itself.
Yeah, the trailer includes a shot of catapulting an explosive barrel into a tower as though that is a thing you're supposed to do in the game which I highly doubt. I'll check it out when I get home since I've played plenty during their major point releases and yet the game flow was still just a wave survival.

Plus I want to see if they included the Kickstarter island like they said they would.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'm playing West of Loathing, at I picked all three hallucinogenic mushrooms. They increase your mysticality, and I don't need that, so I sold them. Now I need them for a quest. It has been a few days in-game but they haven't grown back yet. Is there anywhere else I can get them?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Can't you buy them back from who you sold em to? I think that stuff sticks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

No, I sold them to Wandering Sally.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The mushroom girl in fort darkness sells you one for 1k.

E: also what's wrong with zesteria?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowcaster posted:

My steam friends only exist for leaderboards and spamming my store with recommendations for anime because they're goons.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Grapplejack posted:

E: also what's wrong with zesteria?

Lots of Stuff

Zestiria is basically an extremely unfinished rpg that managed to have an ending I guess. Characters in it barely have any arcs that go anywhere worthwhile. Plot points just vanish never to be heard again. Has huge loving zones with nothing in them and dungeons are both some proc gen bullshit AND the walls of them gently caress up the game camera real bad during combat. Certain random encounters (ones with 5+ spell casters) have a high probability of just wiping you on the floor and causing you to go to your last save (which is only god awful because you can at least save anywhere?) Also, literally the worst equipment system of any rpg ever conceived..

The only real positives I can say about Zestiria is that every new enemy basically gets a real dumb pun conversation and uh some of the character humor is good?

Don't Buy Zestiria ever unless you want to die. (Do, however, buy Tales of Berseria because that game is one of my favorite games of this year)

OneDeadman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 18, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

The mushroom girl in fort darkness sells you one for 1k.

Thank you.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I actually like Zesitira a lot more than most and don't think it's the worst thing ever but it has a lot of problems, though Berseria has a lot of the same issues and is even worse in some areas. That said, Berseria is easier to play and get into because it does not have the dumbest equipment/skill system I've ever seen and that's not hyperbole and it's easier than Zestiria because in Zestiria you actually have to change your ai tactics from random fights to boss battles because otherwise your ai companions will get destroyed in every hard fight. In Berseria, the ai companions are probably too good at dodging because dodging is tied to an important fight mechanic. Zestiria's combat is also way too focused on elemental weaknesses and the skill triangle which results in fights with a lot of mage enemies being ridiculously hard. Berseria you can button-mash to victory pretty easily on any difficulty below hard.

I won't compare plots because tales games are literally the jrpg-est of jrpg's plot-wise but the character skits and stuff like that in Zestiria are actually really good and probably my favorite of the tales of games I've played. There's also a ton of incredibly good puns if you like that sort of thing. I don't think I've played a game with more puns and kudos to whoever localized all of them.

I like tales games and liked Berseria but I don't think it's a sign of the renaissance of the tales series like a lot of others do. It probably has even worse dungeons than Zestiria (and zestiria's were really bad), mediocre art design, typically bland tales music (zestiria might be the only tales game with a couple of tracks that aren't completely forgettable) and some vestiges of zestiria's terrible equipment system (though much better) and some other dumb design decisions but it hits all the main tales games points like having a fun battle system and decent skits and stuff.

Berseria feels like a mostly finished solid game while Zestiria is just all over the place and honestly feels the worst at the parts they probably spent the most time working on, like the beginning and the end of the game. I still liked it enough that I replayed it recently but it's a hard recommend for anyone that's not already familiar with tales of games and/or willing to put up with a game with a ton of issues in exchange for a ton of puns.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 18, 2017

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Anyone want a Dawn of War III 50% off coupon? Link your steam profile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

il_cornuto posted:

DMC4 has a worse story and the second half of the game is literally just the first half played backward. Even at its most obnoxious I would still take DmC's dick jokes and Fox News bad guys to Generic McAnime whining about his girlfriend and fighting Crystal Dragon Catholicism.

The core gameplay is better though, aside from the really terrible platforming with fixed camera angles.