Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
neither is necessary. the trial of the fool is, though. you also need to talk to the seer with 2400 essence. those are the most obscure i can think of off the top of my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So I got to 300 thanks to elder hu and went and explored kingdoms edge and found the coliseum. I also have two of the three nailmasters(Sheo and Oro). It's looking like my options now are either Deepnest or the Sewers. Can I get to the final nailmaster with what I have right now or should I pursue one of these two paths?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah, he is in a somewhat hidden zone but you only need dash and wall jump to get to him.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Zaggitz posted:

So I got to 300 thanks to elder hu and went and explored kingdoms edge and found the coliseum. I also have two of the three nailmasters(Sheo and Oro). It's looking like my options now are either Deepnest or the Sewers. Can I get to the final nailmaster with what I have right now or should I pursue one of these two paths?
Since you've been in Kingdom's Edge, I assume you've been to King's Station? Unless there's a lock I'm forgetting, you should be able to head downward from City of Tears to reach Ancient Basin as well.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Since you've been in Kingdom's Edge, I assume you've been to King's Station? Unless there's a lock I'm forgetting, you should be able to head downward from City of Tears to reach Ancient Basin as well.

Ah yeah i started down the path to that but backtracked to check out Kingdom's edge instead. I'll probably hit up the sewers after work and then flip a coin for deepnest or basin.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

Ah yeah i started down the path to that but backtracked to check out Kingdom's edge instead. I'll probably hit up the sewers after work and then flip a coin for deepnest or basin.

Minor spoilers for where to find stuff: other than a Pale Ore, and a crucial plot progression thing that you don't care about if you're not rushing to finish the game, there's really nothing interesting in Deepnest. Not saying you shouldn't go, it's really atmospheric and fun imo, but if you don't like it, you can avoid going in there for a good long time

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm not in any big rush to clear anything just having fun exploring and getting new powers.

The only thing I wanna make sure I don't screw up is the little npc story lines so I'm avoiding bosses until I've been anywhere in an area i would expect to be able to talk to someone.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Dancer posted:

Multiple people have found that boss to be a particularly hard fight for when you meet him. And yes, there will be a few other difficulty spikes along the way. The good news is that you don't actually *need* to kill him to actually progress for a good long time, and some things you can get, particularly nail upgrades, tend to make boss fights a *lot* easier. (For reference: you start with 5 nail damage, and get +4 per upgrade. So the first upgrade, that you probably had, almost doubled your damage, and two upgrades from now it will be doubled again).

As to what else you can do right now: Farm up enough geo to buy the lumafly lantern from Sly if you don't have it yet, then head East from the Crossroads

Edit: Come to think of it, the area you will get to if you follow the instructions in my spoiler will also be a good indicator of if you can handle the platforming. If you get there and it feels too hard (which it might), then maybe yeah, stop while you're ahead. The game has lots of good things going for it, but they're pointless if you're too frustrated to be able to enjoy them.

Trip report: followed your suggestion and then powered through the game to 95% completion, good tip! Amazing exploration and characters, fun combat, gorgeous art and world, incredible atmosphere, what a game.

Got halfway through the White Palace and then realised it has none of those things, so that's the game for me, but I feel like I got what I wanted out of the game anyway.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Hey, buzzsaws are an incredible atmosphere

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The White Palace is a good and fun place.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Enjoy the nice glowy scenery and the calm atmospheric that will lull you to sleBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
White Defender should have thrown dung covered sawblades at you.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the maggot pits in deepnest should be replaced with buzzsaw piles

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
Hornet's fight should be replaced by a buzzsaw suspended on a string.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
The hive should have been a group of carpenter bees with table saws and band saws and sawblades everywhere

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Instead of riding the stag between stations you should just have to nailjump on a sawblade the entire way there.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
with how bleak the game is overall i was half expecting the last stag to die at some point and leave me walking the stagways alone

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Deepnest :stare:

The sound design on the spider zombie things sends chills down my spine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just finished this game over the weekend. One of the best 2d platformers I've played in a long time.

Also, Dung Defender is awesome, even though I'm unclear on what the switch after you fight him does.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SirPhoebos posted:

Just finished this game over the weekend. One of the best 2d platformers I've played in a long time.

Also, Dung Defender is awesome, even though I'm unclear on what the switch after you fight him does.

It lowers the acid level which opens up the room that holds the acid-resistance item.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Discovered the White Palace, and I gotta respect the game going all Kaizo :getin:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

My weekend is Monday/Tuesday so I ended up spending those days just absolutely tearing through the entirety of this game. 100% completion with all the superbosses fought. What an amazing game. The visuals for the final boss were so cool.

Also white palace rules and is good.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

From a lore perspective my one disappointment with the game is that you never really get to do anything with the last great knight. You fight Hegemol's armor, interact with isma and zemer for powerups and of course orgrim is the DD. Hopefully Dryya gets some kind of DLC fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I hope the Hornet DLC is a prequel and you encounter all 5 knights.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

I hope the Hornet DLC is a prequel and you encounter all 5 knights.

Will the Hornet playstyle be similar to what we have now or is it going to be entirely different? Or do we still not have much information?

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
If you break a secret barrier with the one move, and you also did that quest, you can hear a mournful bug whimper:

~i hope hornet can cancel her dash into an attack~

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1imD1_uu0w

New stuff~! I am extremely into the theme of this content update, cannot wait to see it in action

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I mean dreams are pretty important to the plot, why not explore some nightmares as well :unsmigghh:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm super into the idea of a spooky content update for Halloween. Looks like at least some of the Deepnest stuff is getting fleshed out too based on one of those new charms.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this looks rad as gently caress

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hells to the yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno why this stuff is all free. I'd glady throw money at DLC for this game cause this team deserves it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shovel knight got extraordinary amounts of good will and positive coverage by throwing out free content. presumably hollow knight is following a similar model, or perhaps the team simply refuse to be out-knighted

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So is this better for Switch or Steam? I had a friend tell me it scratched the exploration itch started by Breath of the Wild and that's as good as any selling point I've ever heard.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So is this better for Switch or Steam? I had a friend tell me it scratched the exploration itch started by Breath of the Wild and that's as good as any selling point I've ever heard.

It's not out for Switch and we don't have a release date either, so for now it's PC or bust. (The exploration is real good.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The game is extremely good but its not open-world exploration in the vein of BotW. Its much more like a Metroid or Castlevania game in terms of how you explore the world.

I'd say if you have an itch to play it just get it on the PC. The Switch version is supposed to come out this year but it still doesn't have a launch date so I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up delayed.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno why this stuff is all free. I'd glady throw money at DLC for this game cause this team deserves it.

The Hornet DLC campaign will be paid I think, this is just the second of 3 planned free updates before they get to work on that.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I had a Hollow Knight thought. I really hope that somewhere in their plans for Deepnest/Weavers Den, Team Cherry will use the fact that some spider mothers carry their children around on their back while they're little. That's it, really. Just a bug thought about the bug game.

https://twitter.com/CrawliesWithCri/status/863803872770351104

https://twitter.com/tomhouslay/status/909899914209107968
Very sweet critters

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
A spooky news
https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/status/921008051112501250

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

:yeah: New content on my birthday. Can't wait.