Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

It was the one that looked like it was drawn by Seth MacFarlane. Despite being a bit goofy it didn't seem that bad from what little I saw of it.

Back on topic, my only real gripe with the premiere is that they kind of cram the majority of the main cast into the first episode while the original seemed to space things out a bit better (I believe characters like Launchpad and Mrs. Beakly/Webby weren't introduced until like the second or third episode of the first show). It still handles it well enough (in fact, I think I kind of like the reboot better overall. Not that the original isn't still a decent show).

Well to be fair the "first episode" of the original was part one of a five part story so that's why it was spaced out. And it's one of the best things the series ever did. (Also one of the big Sun Medallions from that episode was in Scrooge's garage in this episode). You can do a five part pilot when you have 65 episodes to fill. Not so much when you have 20-25. You can't spend a fourth or fifth of your season just introducing the main characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

Well to be fair the "first episode" of the original was part one of a five part story so that's why it was spaced out. And it's one of the best things the series ever did. (Also one of the big Sun Medallions from that episode was in Scrooge's garage in this episode). You can do a five part pilot when you have 65 episodes to fill. Not so much when you have 20-25.

Yeah that makes sense, it's just some things felt a bit rushed like Launchpad just being there with no explanation. Still wasn't enough to distract from the overall enjoyment of the episode though.

Hell, the mere fact we got a 44 minute premiere is a small wonder in this day and age.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 18, 2017

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If I had to guess, we'll get more of Launchpad's story when Darwking shows up and offers alternative employment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I thought it was fine though. Most cartoons are faster paced now than they were then anyway.

Also in case anyone maybe saw that Easter Egg I mentioned and recognized it but didn't quite know from where he it is in the original Ducktales in the last part of the pilot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah that makes sense, it's just some things felt a bit rushed like Launchpad just being there with no explanation. Still wasn't enough to distract from the overall enjoyment of the episode though.

Hell, the mere fact we got a 44 minute premiere is a small wonder in this day and age.

That is essentially two episodes so it isn't exactly 100% rushed.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

No explanation? He's Scrooge's valet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

No explanation? He's Scrooge's valet.

Ah right, forgot about that part. Nevermind that point then.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Donald's suit had a little inspiration.

https://twitter.com/ssorobo/status/897684032753983488

Also I'm gonna start making some gifs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How long until Donald's reunited with Julia Daisy?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Anyone else notice the genie's lamp from the Ducktales movie in the garage? :3:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

RandomPauI posted:

How long until Donald's reunited with Julia Daisy?

I thought the reporter at the end might have been Daisy until I noticed the green hands and feet. Having the balls to change her... uh... species... and reference Quack Pack seems a little too good to be true.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Vicissitude posted:

Anyone else notice the genie's lamp from the Ducktales movie in the garage? :3:

I don't think you need to spoil an easter egg. And I'm not entirely sure if it's the one from the movie or the one from the original intro that Scrooge and Glomgold fight over.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone off the original show explained why Glomgold is Scottish rather than South African? Was it just so Scrooge's rival would also be Scottish or was it because apartheid was still on in South Africa in 1987 and they wanted to avoid controversy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Has anyone off the original show explained why Glomgold is Scottish rather than South African? Was it just so Scrooge's rival would also be Scottish or was it because apartheid was still on in South Africa in 1987 and they wanted to avoid controversy?

Likely the latter, and they probably made him Scottish for the former reason.

Oddly enough it'd make sense now that he pretends to be Scottish because his national origins get him zero respect anywhere.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Oddly enough it'd make sense now that he pretends to be Scottish because his national origins get him zero respect anywhere.

He's wearing a kilt, though! A kilt!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ConanThe3rd posted:

What gets me is that she somehow shot him in the backside ("Ow, my tail bone!") inspire being at point blank range to his face.

It's probably a blunder but its just so odd it loops back around to funny.

She probably hit him hard enough for him to fall on his arse

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

She probably hit him hard enough for him to fall on his arse

But he was already on his arse :iiam:

but yeah, that's all besides the point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though in the comics I don't think either one of them was supposed to be Scottish, why did they decide to make Scrooge that way in the cartoon? Just because of his last name?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Though in the comics I don't think either one of them was supposed to be Scottish, why did they decide to make Scrooge that way in the cartoon? Just because of his last name?

Scrooge is and always has been Scottish.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Scrooge is and always has been Scottish.

Huh, I thought I'd heard somewhere that that was one of the problems Don Rosa had with Ducktales.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Larryb posted:

Huh, I thought I'd heard somewhere that that was one of the problems Don Rosa had with Ducktales.
Considering he wrote this, I very very very much doubt that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah nevermind then. I forget, was it him or Carl Barks that hated the show and why?

Speaking of Life & Times though, I'd really like to see them do an animated adaption of that one day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Don Rosa has a complicated relationship with DuckTales. On the one hand, he's said that taken by itself, he thinks it's one of the best children's cartoons of the 1980s.

However, in the context of the wider Duck franchise, he really dislikes how it overshadows the comics despite not being as good as the comics. The way he's put it is that he thinks DuckTales is to the Duck comics what Superfriends was to DC superhero comics.

I think it's also partly because he used to go to conventions in the late 80s and early 90s and people would come up to him and ask if he was the guy who drew "the DuckTales tie-in comics".

He really, really hates Bubba the Cave Duck, though. He has this really strict idea that all of Scrooge's adventures with the nephews take place between 1947 and 1967 (when Scrooge dies at the age of 100), when Carl Barks started and finished writing and drawing Scrooge comics respectively and doesn't like stories that deviate too far from that setting.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Aug 18, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Don as a writer but he has a really Comic Book Guy-y perception of how things should be done or handled.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like Don as a writer but he has a really Comic Book Guy-y perception of how things should be done or handled.

Carl Barks used to reply to his letters by telling him he was too hung-up on continuity.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I mean, nobody likes Bubba the Caveduck, so he's in good company.

I love Don Rosa, but he's got this weird possessive thing going on with duck comics because of how he got screwed by Disney. I totally get the "people come up to you at conventions and think the thing you worked on was a tie in to a current thing when in fact you started it first" because I've been on that side of the table. He's gotten more curmudgeonly in the past few years, which is his right I suppose, but he's not the only one who gets to dictate how people write/interpret the ducks and how other people feel about the characters.

c.f. "Scrooge McDuck's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but it's certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots than the tortured trillionaire crying out for Glittering Goldie."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kefkafloyd posted:

He's gotten more curmudgeonly in the past few years, which is his right I suppose, but he's not the only one who gets to dictate how people write/interpret the ducks and how other people feel about the characters.

Yes he is.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

there's been dozens and dozens of writers who have contributed to the disney ducks universe over a period of over half a century

boiling it down to "only two writers have written anything that matters" is kind of unfair

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is this what posts in the comic books forum are like?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Super Friends comparison seems about right, maybe this show will be the Justice League.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah it's pretty much that they wanted to avoid Apartheid questions with him.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

The man is the ultimate fanfic writer, from making his name/income on excellent fanfics of his favorite property to admitting that he can't see himself writing for something of which he isn't a fan. If someone says "Fanfic doesn't pay!", ask "What the gently caress do you think Don Rosa's done for years?".

And I love Don Rosa's work, I actually prefer it to Barks'. The art especially, but also the writing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Like, I write my own fan material. I get it. And I love his work.

I just disagree with some of what he says. I've disagreed with people about interpretations and the value they put on various aspects of fictional works, but in the end, fiction is stronger for having a variety of interpretations. I think Rosa's vision can just be too narrow or self important sometimes.

God knows I've had the same problem, of course. No one's perfect.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

X_Toad posted:

The man is the ultimate fanfic writer, from making his name/income on excellent fanfics of his favorite property to admitting that he can't see himself writing for something of which he isn't a fan. If someone says "Fanfic doesn't pay!", ask "What the gently caress do you think Don Rosa's done for years?".

He actually sold the construction business he inherited from his father (having calculated that he would earn about half as much but still enough to live on) so he could write Donald Duck comics full time.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Didn't Barks sue him at one point over the use of the (non Duck) characters he created or something like that? And then when Barks did a couple of new stories in the 90s he chose other artists to draw it over Rosa.

It's got to sting knowing your idol hates you. Add to it all these Euro publications reprinting your work and you not seeing a dime for it, I can't blame him for becoming a bitter old man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nnn... Nooo? Carl Barks never sued him. Where did you get that from?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TFRazorsaw posted:

Like, I write my own fan material.

Please post your Scrooge x Flintheart fic.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, we're not doing this.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I haven't seen it, but there's a documentary on Rosa that mentions it in the description.

quote:

But in spite of his succes, he has had to struggle his entire life to do what he loves most of all, to write and draw Uncle Scrooge comics. He has had to deal with a crushed hand, failing eyesight, low payment, obnoxious Disney copyright executives, a responsibility to the family company, loneliness and a lawsuit by and against his own idol, Carl Barks.

Edit: movie was completed years ago, but I have no idea where to watch/buy it outside of like, Denmark. I remember watching a brief clip online with an excerpt of an interview with Rosa and it was the saddest loving thing. Didn't think I could stomach 75 minutes of pure depression from one of my all time favorite writers.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Larryb posted:

One issue Rosa had was Scrooge having such a blatant Scottish accent, he always felt that since Scrooge left Scotland at a pretty early age and spent most of his life in the United States that he'd only have the slightest trace of a Scottish accent if he had one at all

Also while I don't agree with absolutely everything he believes, I do feel he is probably the second best Duck writer after Carl Barks, and part of that is due to how much love and thought he gives his work