Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Podima posted:

How many times per month can teachers award points? Once per month or is it as arbitrary as the original source? (barring vetoes/etc. from other teachers)

Once per month, a Teacher (i should probably rename to Professor though oops) can either ##award OR ##detention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

Once per month, a Teacher (i should probably rename to Professor though oops) can either ##award OR ##detention

Professors would be better, yeah. What does ##detention do?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

busb posted:

all the world's a stage, and we are merely shitposters and idiots.

But not when i mod something i've spent a lot of time writing and thinking about.

FWIW when I play something I almost always put a shitton of time/effort into it, don't take my signup post too seriously :)

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Should I up my account for pms? How does the Friendly speciality work and how revealing is it? Is effort required per month to use it?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hello hi I have never played a forums game before, should I play this one or would it be better for people who already know what they're doing? If yes to the first please consider this my sign up owl.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

This looks like a ton of fun! I'd like to sign up as well.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Podima posted:

Professors would be better, yeah. What does ##detention do?

Sending a Student to detention means they cannot do anything except Study that Professor's classes, or Rest. I'll update the Teacher's actions in the OP to be more specific.

MinutePirateBug posted:

Should I up my account for pms? How does the Friendly speciality work and how revealing is it? Is effort required per month to use it?

Hmm it possibly isn't necessary for this game as i have created a Discord server for the game, and i can PM people on that if they prefer. If you've got plat then might as well activate it, but don't bother buying it specifically.

As for specialties... I've intentionally left the specifics of the role vague for now. My initial thought is only players that choose that specialty will know exactly how the role works. Depending on how the Sorting goes, it could be a benefit or a drawback if say an opposing house doesn't have anyone Friendly and know what they are capable of. Generally, if i am talking about an action it will cost Effort to use.

But if people would prefer a more open setup, i can make all roles completely described.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nah uncertainty about roles/specialties/whatever is good, let people trade info!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Radio! posted:

Hello hi I have never played a forums game before, should I play this one or would it be better for people who already know what they're doing? If yes to the first please consider this my sign up owl.
Hi! Nobody has played this before and nobody knows what they are doing (myself included), so you're in good company and welcome!

FewtureMD posted:

This looks like a ton of fun! I'd like to sign up as well.

:yeah:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Radio! posted:

Nobody knows what they are doing, one of us, one of us

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

busb are we going to have house specific discord chats to hang out with where people who want to follow the game can idle and watch us hang out, are we, are we, are we???

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Quidthulhu posted:

busb are we going to have house specific discord chats to hang out with where people who want to follow the game can idle and watch us hang out, are we, are we, are we???

I'm not sure what you're asking. Each House has its own secret discord chat.

I haven't considered spectators, i don't know if anyone would even want to, seeing as there are no deaths/eliminated students people that are invested in the game will still be in the game. The forums thread will have the results of everything and public actions etc so that is easily followed. i might create a separate spectator chat on Discord if people want it, but probably wouldn't give them access to the House chats.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can I use other class skill if I can make it work for the situation/task?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

Time requirements:

FIFTEEN M---

Bifauxnen posted:

I will set a timer to make sure I only play for exactly 15 minutes per day.

welp i just lost the first real time event

busb posted:

i might create a separate spectator chat on Discord if people want it, but probably wouldn't give them access to the House chats.

after three giant social games - what spectators really want is a dedicated place to talk about the game and the ability to watch as things develop as if they were watching a tv show

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Nyaa posted:

Can I use other class skill if I can make it work for the situation/task?

Hmm i don't quite get what you're asking here sorry :(

Event requirements will be RNGed, so any skill could theoretically come up for an event, with class specific events (which will be the majority) aligning along the reference table i supplied. If i roll really lucky/unlucky the event could require weird and whacky skills. Whenever i announce an Event i will specify exactly which skills will benefit it, and will generally follow the formula in the example in the OP (Effort x Base Attribute) + class skill + speciality bonus

peramene posted:

FIFTEEN M---

welp i just lost the first real time event

after three giant social games - what spectators really want is a dedicated place to talk about the game and the ability to watch as things develop as if they were watching a tv show

I dont get the 15 minutes joke sorry Bif+pera :(

I don't know if this will get spectators, but i will keep that in mind! I'm just nervous about strategies leaking from spectators to players :ohdear:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I originally expected very low engagement from the Myst crew. I specced the game such that you could have a quick conversation, decide what you were going to do with your alliance or on your own, shoot me your orders and be done.

15 minutes a dayTM.

Instead, many people ended up putting in 7 hour days (and myself 14) and are now so attached to their characters that the Myst Crew very frequently just calls each other by those names or does so as a reminder of kinship.

so the joke is a combination of "lol pera" and also a reminder that no matter what you do this will consume our entire lives

which reminds me:

you're gonna run all seven years over the course of time - at least if this does well - yeah?

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I ask because I really like the idea of Myst games being a spring thing and Hogwarts games being a fall thing

we can talk

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
let me just comment again on how eerily appropriate busb's terrible anime av is for this thread

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

peramene posted:

you're gonna run all seven years over the course of time - at least if this does well - yeah?

Why whatever could you possibly mean :angel:

Podima posted:

let me just comment again on how eerily appropriate busb's terrible anime av is for this thread

i always forget i have this thing as i have avs off. stupid tommunist :argh:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

it's a big part of why i was so convinced you were a broad

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hmmm, ok.

I guess I can hang in one more discord channel.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

busb posted:

busb I have got a serious case of Fridayitis and I am getting loads of graphics stuff done right now instead of work, would you like an Ultima 7 avatar?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No make more Myst gifs wtf

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Bifauxnen posted:

busb I have got a serious case of Fridayitis and I am getting loads of graphics stuff done right now instead of work, would you like an Ultima 7 avatar?

Thank you but it's really not necessary! i won't stop you if you wanted something to play around with but i'm not too fussed tbh. I just hope people not from auspol/mafia seeing the game for the first time realise it's a joke.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima posted:

I already got some done! Don't wanna burn out here

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

busb posted:

Thank you but it's really not necessary! i won't stop you if you wanted something to play around with but i'm not too fussed tbh. I just hope people not from auspol/mafia seeing the game for the first time realise it's a joke.

Podima posted:

alrighty then I'll just finish this up real quick boss

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

i want to be in the friday, booo future people

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Hi I like reading mafia and I figure I should actually join something now that i'm around for a while.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

xiw posted:

Hi I like reading mafia and I figure I should actually join something now that i'm around for a while.

Welcome! Just be warned this is Not Mafia (well unless you roll Professor, then it's kinda like mafia a bit)
But if you've read the rules and get the gist you'll do fine!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

busb posted:

Welcome! Just be warned this is Not Mafia (well unless you roll Professor, then it's kinda like mafia a bit)
But if you've read the rules and get the gist you'll do fine!

Yeah totally, I've read some of the civilisation / soldier / 12 jester games etc too and the weirdness is appealing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ahem, when do I get to wear the sorting hat?

Is this going to be some "Which Hogwarts house are you?" personality quiz?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

When do we get patronuses and are they gonna be cute

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Sign me up please

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

I'm very powerful please include that in my student write up. I've played in a Harry Potter inspired LARP.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

God DAMMIT Meinberg!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

it's hogwarts - a touch of class, not a touch of...what you said.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

it's hogwarts - a touch of class, not a touch of...what you said.

dont be jelly

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

someone needs to do a Phoenix Wright FRG someday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006