Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Okay cool. I don't imagine either of you would care, but you can get the vent assembly off of an 80-82 truck, and it REALLY helps move the air compared to just the vent window and sliding rear. My 82 F-150 has them, and my other two will get them when the weather is better.

My focus is on the 80-86 year group, although I'm keeping an eye out for the right 87 parts truck as that's supposedly the only year that Ford put the 460 and np435 together, and the parts list that other guys came up with to do that looked like a huge pain to pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Atmus posted:

Okay cool. I don't imagine either of you would care, but you can get the vent assembly off of an 80-82 truck, and it REALLY helps move the air compared to just the vent window and sliding rear. My 82 F-150 has them, and my other two will get them when the weather is better.

You mean these things? :D I've been wanting a set a while. Sadly the kickpanel plastic didnt match well in the bricknose interior so i left em.

gently caress yes.

No dice on a donor harness. one truck was blackmold/ratshit central and i went through enough of that with this truck. The other had the harness cut in 3 places. Had the yard been willing to deal, i would have purchased and patched it together.

I repaired the exhaust the other day too, but no use in posting pictures of chicken poo poo on rusty stove pipe.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

cursedshitbox posted:

You mean these things? :D I've been wanting a set a while. Sadly the kickpanel plastic didnt match well in the bricknose interior so i left em.

gently caress yes.

No dice on a donor harness. one truck was blackmold/ratshit central and i went through enough of that with this truck. The other had the harness cut in 3 places. Had the yard been willing to deal, i would have purchased and patched it together.

I repaired the exhaust the other day too, but no use in posting pictures of chicken poo poo on rusty stove pipe.

If i didn't know any better, I would say this thing is starting to look half-respectable. That seat looks sharp as hell.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Yeah, those. They turn the interior into a tornado at around 80mph.

The plastic does lend itself to painting, but yeah good luck getting it to match.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
yea the color is off, but its hidden good enough you don't see the drat things. The driver's side is totally different in mounting, so i need to fab an adapter plate.

50% off at the yards. the haul:

F150 cab harness, F250 7.3 bay harness. hoping i can take these two and build one.
base model dome light without map lights.
left mirror
sliding rear window, bricknose body, obs slide mechanism. they have better latches.
non a/c blower box. It'll free up some space on the passenger side of the engine and look mobetta.

led reverse lamps in. the originals werent all that bright.

Dome light swapped. the map lights have long since perished, and that fucker was dim as all poo poo anyway.

Took a die grinder to the mirror cause loltorx stripped the gently caress out. it had a chunk busted out that my fat middle finger is obscuring.

step 1. strip everything, wire wheel farmerdildo's and my own prior welds. The chassis bolts were in but good, and my bap bap wasnt taking em out, nor did i really feel a trip to home depot, so i repaired the core in situ.
the jack is to keep that side from sagging when I patched it.

a single 2" strap across the backside, and two 1" straps on the lower section of the front. repaired a bunch of other cracks, and braced some spots that only had spot welds.
oh and the black/primer had to go, it looked rather tacky.

Passenger vent in. had to reroute the harness and do some trimming, i slipped with a razor and tried to remove some digits in the process, but nope, just hosed up my lovely trim panel. oh well.
the drivers side is dented in and is a larger plate, cause thats where the ECU goes on the gasoline versions, i need ot build an adapter plate...also found mo' nest. thought i hosed that side out a year ago...guess not. for fucks sake.

back glass swapped. that was a minor bitch. I ended on that today, i'll do the trim piece and clean everything up tomorrow.

If you're keen of eye, you'll note the oil fill cap has been obliterated by yours truely. you see, I was using a divine rod to persuade steel, and this divine rod has a secondary job of seeking out nearby components and smashing them. Amazon prime ftw.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 2, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That was some good snapchat progress yesterday. I meant to keep snapping my 'rust repair' but once the paint came out I got lazy.

Went and looked at that F450 (F-Superduty) thanks to your truck. Hell of a truck and would tow all my cars at once let alone the race car but it's geared super low so it's screaming at 55mph

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yea that would likely have 5.13 gears which is low af. good since the idi is a gutless gently caress, but lololol. Mine have 4.10 and they work well with 35s or 37s. 32/33s were way low.

I know this is a shitte pic, but gently caress yes i can unlock my drivers door with a key now. a small latch side bracket was gone, and all the rods with it.

Moulding done. My fingers are burger at this point and i'm takin' a break from fixes.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/a/WF5s1

This trip here

resulted in this here. dammit

both sides.
Looks easy yea?
#21.

sweeeeeet

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Front leaf bushes ahoy!

unbolt both ends of the leaf, swaybars, shocks, and panhard. let the axle drop to the ground.

Earlier in the thread the shackle >> frame bushes were replaced, and not doing them again. First one done.

Do the fronts, rehang the axle to the shackle, then use a ratchet strap, pry bars, and copious swearing to pull the axle forward.

Hatefuck the rears out.

Piece of poo poo monroe shocks from 1975 still are pressurized but the bushings are shot. gently caress monroes anyway.

Tentative planning:
front axle seals next
rear bushings
shocks all around.
swaybar bushings.
rewire + oil change

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 22, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Busy with preppin for finals, hence thread closure, plus in a funk, etc.

I threw donkey in a carshow a week ago.

http://imgur.com/a/OuvxX

someone legit called the thing 'donkey' with no prior backstory. :kimchi:

Have a sticker. Probably gonna start some wrenching next wednesday or so.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Some seriously cool stuff at that car show, looks like good times.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Anti-archives bump!

Lived in Ukraine for a month. Decided to move there. I'm going to do the rear bushings and possibly the axle seals then sell it

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

cursedshitbox posted:

Anti-archives bump!

Lived in Ukraine for a month. Decided to move there. I'm going to do the rear bushings and possibly the axle seals then sell it

Seems like a bold call moving to a place that's going to be conquered by Russia and then be subject to their anti-LGBTQ laws.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Stitecin posted:

Seems like a bold call moving to a place that's going to be conquered by Russia and then be subject to their anti-LGBTQ laws.

He went over it in the chat thread. He's not going in blind.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

beep-beep car is go posted:

He went over it in the chat thread. He's not going in blind.

Thanks, and sorry. I don't follow that thread, but I have this one bookmarked and was happy to see it come back to life. Looking forward to seeing what sort of Eastern Bloc projects get rolling.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
How long until you buy a btr 3 and make that a rv

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rolled 10k mi on it finally. Oil changed. Bus is sold to another goon. I'm delivering the drz to LA this weekend. Rear bushings are next and this guy is going up for sale.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
How much would it be to ship it to Philly area?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Rolled 10k mi on it finally. Oil changed. Bus is sold to another goon. I'm delivering the drz to LA this weekend. Rear bushings are next and this guy is going up for sale.

Wish I had the cash for the Truck :(

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

My wife has been saying we need a truck...

It's not that far from SF to Seattle

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What will you be asking for this beautiful bitch? Tentatively interested :dukedoge:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
http://imgur.com/a/rAdz5

Washed my rear end.

~1300mi in 2 days last weekend. averaged 16.2mpg.

I'm going to *try* and get around to the following before the sale, Tentatively we're flying back to Ukraine 18th of sept.

headlight switch socket replacement + relays for lights
Wiper switch replacement to a non-interval wiper
washer pump install
Heaterbox conversion to heat only
Rear bushes.

Going to list the truck at 7K locally. If you want to do the front axle seals, 5 thou goon price and it's yours. If I'm going to do them, that'll be extra.
Want the tools to do them yourself? All my wrenching poo poo goes for 3k usd. Theres more than 5 grand in snapoff/crapsman alone, not counting screwdrivers, pliers, air tools, or the boxes they reside in.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good luck with the sales and move. I wasn't reading AI last year so this is the first I've read about the truck.
I'm glad I read the thread because even though I've got a ton of problems and feel sad for TT right now I love your vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiLCGMf5VcA
I got a laugh for the first time in months/years

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 17, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fo3 posted:

Good luck with the sales and move. I wasn't reading AI last year so this is the first I've read about the truck.
I'm glad I read the thread because even though I've got a ton of problems and feel sad for TT right now I love your vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiLCGMf5VcA
I got a laugh for the first time in months/years

Thanks dude! ahaha yeah this old pig came a long way. Annoys me just a slight amount to have to sell it. If it seriously doesnt sell by the time we leave I'm gonna sign it over to a trusted friend and resume if/when we return stateside.

cursedshitbox posted:

headlight switch socket replacement + relays for lights
Wiper switch replacement to a non-interval wiper [ordered]
washer pump install
Heaterbox conversion to heat only done
drivers foot vent 50% done
Rear bushes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You're putting more effort into a truck you're selling than i do into one i drive every day.

At this point you should just book a spot on a roro now and rock it in Ukraine.

Also, i have to say, i was in Ukraine for christmas and new years in 2008, and i have to say i think you're making the right choice.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Apart from having to import parts for it is there anything really STOPPING you rocking the brick shithouse all over Europe?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Still trying to figure out if I could get this shipped across the county for cheap. Finding a truck like this that's actually maintained is hard.

Ferremit posted:

Apart from having to import parts for it is there anything really STOPPING you rocking the brick shithouse all over Europe?
I'm guessing it would cost several times the value of the truck to import it

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ferremit posted:

$52,000 usd in change in import cost on displacement alone. That does not include getting it there....or finding imperial hardware in a metric country (this really gets me goin).

Nitro: goondrive! hahah. You could do it in a weekend if you're crazy enough.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can get around all that if you do it within 6 months of getting your permanent residency.

https://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/business/how-to-import-a-vehicle-without-paying-a-fortune-310961.html

I would think bypassing a $52,000 tax would impart a value on the vehicle greater than the cost of shipping.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wiring fixes!

Mega ultra hosed headlight switch cause theres no relays. New socket installed.

Intermittent wiper delay box is hosed so i replaced it with a non-interval wiper switch. No more random wiper failures in the rain.

headlamp relays to compliment the new dash connector. Since I had the spare harness these connectors retain factory wiring colors.

I also took time and filed down the dash light contacts as some of them were flickering driving me bonkers.

Vdrop went from over a volt down to .2VDC with the lights on. I'm happy with this.

E: Powershift. The visa we're after won't make that possible.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
This is one of the coolest truck builds I've ever seen. Thanks to this thread I've been on CL almost every day looking for one.. though I should probably just use this thread vicariously. My dad has an 86 F250 he got when I was around 10 years old (29 now), originally had some non 7.3 in it that blew up so we swapped it to the 7.3. Here we are and the thing is still going, though it burns glow plugs like nobody's business. He uses starter fluid in the breather to get it going now but it starts just fine once it's warm. Anyway this truck is amazing and I'm sad you have to sell it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

gently caress yea half off day at the yards. Contractors screw poo poo to the decks of vans so I couldn't get a good flat sheet. This will do till I find what i'm after.
Vacuum brakes fixed from a sticky servo valve, scored a new pedal box too.

:siren: the trip blew up on us as this week was the deadline for visas. Ukranian redtape, etc. Putting it behind me, moving onwards. :siren:

That said. Since shitbucket is staying around, it's gonna get some new things.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm happy to continue watching the adventures of Donkey the farm truck on its journey to becoming semi-nice.

Sucks about the trip but c'est la vie.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm happy to continue watching the adventures of Donkey the farm truck on its journey to becoming semi-nice.

This bitch almost got a -factory- turbo if it weren't for joe brodouche being a wetstain in the mattress.

First American car I've owned with working washers. Zerk fittings on order to modify the new pedal box as well as exhaust adapter bits for a 3.5" exhaust.

E: new pedal box in

out with the old

combo of old pedals on new bracket. drilled/tapped for zerks. (they'll be here on wed)

and back into the dash it goes.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 5, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

drooooop

1 done. 1 to cuss at.

Frame to leaf bushes done. 4 more to do, but not today.

E: new shocks ordered all around

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 7, 2017

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh boy does that look like fun!!

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I hope this thread doesn't disappear ever because I have a 7.3 IDI that this entire thread will be informative on if I ever have to do any serious under the hood work. Thankfully mine seems to be in really great shape for being as old as I am.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

I hope this thread doesn't disappear ever because I have a 7.3 IDI that this entire thread will be informative on if I ever have to do any serious under the hood work. Thankfully mine seems to be in really great shape for being as old as I am.

Oh god don't take my word /work for gospel. I'm just joe schmoe the ex burnt-out-mechanic.

seatbelt color swatches for future shenanigans.

gently caress yes 3.000 is a match.
Ordering these probably tomorrow when i'm less drunk than now.

Gas-a-justs installed up front. I haven't driven it yet, but holy oh gently caress me is it so nice with mostly new bushings. This fucker's almost sublime now.

Exhaust parts are here. That's this weekends project aside from more liquor solutions. it's my birthday after all, don't judge too much you shits

BONUS round:

I lifted wifes old bike cause we were gonna go camping, but uhhh it had an exhaust leak.

ahaha you gently caress.
and the solution:

oh yeah I might tackle the bed too.

Edit:

Admiral Bosch posted:

. However, the few times I've taken it on simple off road paths, it seems extreeemely bumpy. After some research, I have come to the conclusion that the TTB is supposed to alleviate some of that. The truck is in good shape, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the suspension has never been worked on. It's got leafs front and rear with shock absorbers up front and airbags in the rear. The shock absorbers look really old. It's extremely up-and-down bouncy even with potholes in a parking lot. It's hard for me to get much information on stock 80s F series as expedition vehicles for some reason, and every "hardcore" offroad F series I see has been modified to hell and back. I'm not terribly interested in putting a lift kit on it, as it already rides decently high and I understand that the TTB system is difficult to lift properly without ruining alignment over time. Is airing down the answer? Should I replace the front shocks? I am planning to put some good tires on it soon. If anyone who's curious would like pictures, just tell me where to point my camera.

sorry. Hi. Okay so you have a TTB leafsprung d50. They have maybe 5" of travel on a good day and you can drat well bet the bushings are all loving hosed. You won't be able to align it until your rebush everything and install fresh shocks.

If you're cheap, rebush it, maybe figure out a way to get diesel excursion springs(V codes, iirc) on TTB.
If you have about 1500 bucks to spare, go to 05+ supeprduty axles. You'll need to get the mounts on the frame too(you can get the part new from ford. look up what the bronco guys do) , or order it separately. It is not 8x6.5 but 8x170. YOu'll also get disc rear brakes, a long pinion 10.5 instead of a short pinion 10.25. for a 250 it should essentially be a weekend and 2 12 pack project.

My truck has an 'acceptable' ride to me. it's pretty nice with a thousand pounds or better on the bed. It does not ride like a superduty.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 9, 2017

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

cursedshitbox posted:

Edit:

sorry. Hi. Okay so you have a TTB leafsprung d50. They have maybe 5" of travel on a good day and you can drat well bet the bushings are all loving hosed. You won't be able to align it until your rebush everything and install fresh shocks.

If you're cheap, rebush it, maybe figure out a way to get diesel excursion springs(V codes, iirc) on TTB.
If you have about 1500 bucks to spare, go to 05+ supeprduty axles. You'll need to get the mounts on the frame too(you can get the part new from ford. look up what the bronco guys do) , or order it separately. It is not 8x6.5 but 8x170. YOu'll also get disc rear brakes, a long pinion 10.5 instead of a short pinion 10.25. for a 250 it should essentially be a weekend and 2 12 pack project.

My truck has an 'acceptable' ride to me. it's pretty nice with a thousand pounds or better on the bed. It does not ride like a superduty.

This is mostly greek to me, but thank you for chiming in. I am a very cheap person because I have to be. What bushings are you referring to? Just the pivot bushing? How difficult would it be to replace them by myself in my apartment parking lot? I don't have a lot of serious mechanic tools, or the budget for them, or anywhere to put them. I definitely don't have any way to safely compress and install shocks.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I did shocks in the driveway today with an two 18mm wrenches (leverage), 18mm ratchet, breaker bar 22mm socket and a prybar.
Bushings are hell. sixth or seventh reich of hell. Be smart and farm them out. I'm pretty well equipped for a home gamer in tools and they're still a motherfucker.

Bushings yeah
6 on the leaf spring and pivot
2 on the ttb
that should get it steering correctly.
do the sway bars and the six in the rear if you want it to be /nice/.