Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Holy poo poo, Lava Reef Act 2 as knuckles is fantastic, especially the boss. The only thing that I don't like is that the Super transformation takes the place of your glide, and doesn't let you glide or wall climb until you land, which normally is fine, but the path to the boss as Knuckles requires you to glide and wall climb into it, so I ended up wasting two or three lives dunking myself into the pit on accident instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is it a week on Tuesday yet.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

While exploring GHZ I managed to find 2 giant rings in Act 2 but when I went back later I could only find one the one that you get to by jumping through a wall filled with water. Where the hell is that second one or did I dream it?

Also regarding the gold/silver coins: is there a set number of each or do you have to complete all the different blue sphere stages twice to get them all?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

While exploring GHZ I managed to find 2 giant rings in Act 2 but when I went back later I could only find one the one that you get to by jumping through a wall filled with water. Where the hell is that second one or did I dream it?

Also regarding the gold/silver coins: is there a set number of each or do you have to complete all the different blue sphere stages twice to get them all?

You get a gold when you perfect a stage, you only get a silver if you don't.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Perfecting (collecting all possible rings) a blue sphere stage gets you the gold medal, just completing gets a silver. The game will only give you stages you don't have silver or gold on till you have all silvers, any silver stages will come back into the rotation so you can gold them. So basically you'll only need to repeat if you missed gold on your first clear.

There's a reward for all silvers, but I dont think there's anything for all gold.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Perfecting (collecting all possible rings) a blue sphere stage gets you the gold medal, just completing gets a silver. The game will only give you stages you don't have silver or gold on till you have all silvers, any silver stages will come back into the rotation so you can gold them. So basically you'll only need to repeat if you missed gold on your first clear.

There's a reward for all silvers, but I dont think there's anything for all gold.

Ah sweet, didn't realise it skips ones you've already golded, that's handy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I put my Sonic Mania metal card into the Kiryu business card holder from Yakuza Zero. This has been the best year for Sega all decade.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Do you have to collect all the blue spheres in one go to Perfect a stage?

Do they ever reset in a playthrough?

e: This all seems to be answered above

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The one thing that annoys me is getting all the blue spheres and going out of my way to pick up all the rings but then I complete the stage with a square formation which automatically ends the stage but leaves those last few rings behind. :argh:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The one thing that annoys me is getting all the blue spheres and going out of my way to pick up all the rings but then I complete the stage with a square formation which automatically ends the stage but leaves those last few rings behind. :argh:

Yeah, you basically need to plan ahead and leave a formation that can't be turned into rings for last. Some levels make it really tricky to get a perfect. There's one level thats like a 1 wide hallway with a lot of turns and two rings to the left of the last orb, and it's not like you can just jump the orb to get the rings. I'm guessing you need to turn around at the start or something.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

XavierGenisi posted:

Holy poo poo, Lava Reef Act 2 as knuckles is fantastic, especially the boss. The only thing that I don't like is that the Super transformation takes the place of your glide, and doesn't let you glide or wall climb until you land, which normally is fine, but the path to the boss as Knuckles requires you to glide and wall climb into it, so I ended up wasting two or three lives dunking myself into the pit on accident instead.

Yeah, think with 3 buttons to jump, they would make one of them not turn you super.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I love Blue Sphere.

It's basically a high speed, escalating tension, abstract spatial kinetic puzzle game.

I'm being facetious with the word count there but it really is an action-puzzler, half graphing problem and half obstacle course, where you make shapes in the right order and make sure to end on the right kind of line. Once you realise that it's a puzzle it kind of all just clicks into place, really.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I also love Blue Spheres, because you can screw up in a survivable way and come back to tackle the problem again. Unlike the Sonic 2 Special Stages where if you screw up then you're just screwed. You also don't need to memorize them outside of general things like "this is the one with the cross" or "I know there's a grouping of 4 over there i can leave till last for a Perfect."

They're also Much easier doing them on my switch in handheld mode rather than on the TV due to the milliseconds of lag.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Special stage 5 can eat a bag of dicks

Are there any bonus rings in Metallic Madness and Titan Monarch Zone?

I'm earnestly wondering if what level you get the rings on changes anything (I doubt it). I tried that loving stage like 8 times from Hydrocity onward, and couldn't do it, went to Green Hill Zone to try again and did it first try without changing anything about how I approach the stage :catstare:

There are bonus rings in MM and I think TMZ, but I couldn't find how to reach them

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 18, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Jarogue posted:

Yeah, think with 3 buttons to jump, they would make one of them not turn you super.

Sonic 3 Complete actually does this and lets you cancel your super form too. Maybe the developers thought it would be unintuitive.

I wish you had an option for max control too. The insta-shield wouldn't interfere with the drop dash, because the drop dash is activated by holding the button down instead of double tapping it. I really like both and wish I could use both.

The Super Peel-Out isn't too useful because you could always spin dash then jump to keep your momentum but it sure looks cool. Yeah yeah, Sonic's legs going into a figure 8 makes no sense, I get it, but it looks cool. There's a lot of things about Sonic games that make no sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Some Sonic Mania glitches showed up on highlight reel today, this one's the least spoliery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm8Xu8tMz7w

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've beaten the game, I only have two emeralds and I have no idea how to find more giant rings. These stages are so motherfucking huge.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

VJeff posted:

I've beaten the game, I only have two emeralds and I have no idea how to find more giant rings. These stages are so motherfucking huge.

I'm finding a lot more of them going through as Knuckles.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

VJeff posted:

There is one right in the beginning of Press Garden Act 1. I just keep repeating that until I get them all. Knuckles' Mirage Saloon has one even earlier.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How do you replay giant ring stages? Once I go in one it turns to a wireframe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I love Press Garden. It might be my favorite original stage.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How do you replay giant ring stages? Once I go in one it turns to a wireframe.

Same as in Sonic 3, once you beat the game you can go back into previously cleared stages and get the emeralds again.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
If you've never played a single Sonic game before, is Mania a good buy or would it be a better idea to play the first three games first?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You will miss some references to previous sonic games, but there are so many references to segas back catalog and just sega history in general that it would take you a year of playing sega games to get them all.

Just jump in, there is no big story to understand. Just know that Sonic is not Mario and vice versa, they handle different and that's by design.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

khwarezm posted:

If you've never played a single Sonic game before, is Mania a good buy or would it be a better idea to play the first three games first?

I don't think it'd hurt to play them before Mania. Mania feels like it aught to be a good buy regardless but then I know someone who did and they were getting stuck because they didn't realize they could spindash, break certain walls... Mania certainly doesn't go out of it's way to explain anything, so it helps to be familiar with the level design and mechanic tropes of Sonic, but it's not critical because it's a fairly basic platformer. Also, the added bonus of playing 1-3&K before Mania is that you'd get the various callbacks and level remixes would probably have a better effect then they would without seeing the original forms.

That said, if you don't find Sonic 1 very fun, just move on from it. It's easily the weakest of the original series.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Chieves posted:

Is there a ROLLING STAAAAAAAAART reference though? If not, game is trash, 4/10.

GAME OVAH YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does playing as Tails change level layouts like Knuckles?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hey, does anybody know if the OST is gonna wind up on Spotify at any point?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Some Sonic Mania glitches showed up on highlight reel today, this one's the least spoliery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm8Xu8tMz7w

Robotnik's Deadly Speed Traps!

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I just tried out Super Knuckles and was a little disappointed to find that his gliding speed limit isn't lifted. Finding a long stretch of air in S3K and gliding faster than Super Sonic can run was the best. I also miss that wall slam move but that's only for Hyper to be fair.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does playing as Tails change level layouts like Knuckles?

I assume not, since I'm pretty sure Sonic and Tails had the same level layouts in the original Genesis games, whereas Knuckles had modified levels to accommodate his lower jump height emphasize exploration.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ChaosArgate posted:

I assume not, since I'm pretty sure Sonic and Tails had the same level layouts in the original Genesis games, whereas Knuckles had modified levels to accommodate his lower jump height emphasize exploration.

That's what I was thinking. A shame since I wish there was more incentive to just playing Tails in Sonic 3&K too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

That's what I was thinking. A shame since I wish there was more incentive to just playing Tails in Sonic 3&K too.

The incentive to play Tails is basically just "If you were dumb like me and did a Sonic-only run instead of S&T you can get at all the poo poo where you came off a ramp at max speed, didn't react to a new path at the height of the jump fast enough, and now you can't get back up again".

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just know that Sonic is not Mario and vice versa, they handle different and that's by design.

Also, be prepared for the first playthrough to feel really disjointed and the game to seem weird and a bit short.

Sonic conceptually was designed to be one of the 5 whole games you owned, and was designed with the storage limits and the lack of save functionality that came with a cart game in 1992 in mind. The whole concept of the game dates to Yuji Naka playing through Mario 1-1 & 1-2 as fast as possible to get to the warp zone, and realising he was enjoying flying through the level and taking ridiculous risks to shave seconds off each run, so if you go in expecting a one-and-done play through you'll come out with a sour taste in your mouth. In many ways, Sonic is as closer to something like Tony Hawks as it is to Mario.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love Press Garden. It might be my favorite original stage.

Both acts are my favorites of the new level music

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

holy poo poo this game is amazing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I seem to remember a few areas in that game that can only be reached by flying (though I suppose you could get the same result if you played Sonic & Tails with a second controller on hand).

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Currently watching my brother power through this game on his first try. Raking up lives, four emeralds by Press Garden, five perfects out of only six sphere attempts and one life lost to a time over because he was so enamoured with Flying Battery. Of course, having the guts of 1000 hours in Sonic 1-3&K and the sega master system games gives him a bit of an advantage. :shepicide:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Try CD as well, people are split on it but it has its moments. Maybe after 1-3 though. The real defining feature of the classic games is inertia, not speed. Maintaining your flow to bounce smoothly through the levels is the name of the game.

Also I'm really interested to see how someone reacts to the old games when they're going in fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

h*ck yeah