Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

What ever happened to Virigoth? Never see that guy anymore.

I'm still here. I started playing MMOs to drown the pain. I've got a good post or three I should write out post merger with my company.

Content: We got rid of Workday to change to some Oracle piece of poo poo for time-off/on-call. I now have to submit my on-call time as an excel spreadsheet so our Director can enter it. Workday let us record hours and submit for approval. Why???! :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Fool posted:

Corvettefisher got banned, posted again as Dilbert as gently caress, got banned again, came back, toxxed himself out of these threads but couldn't help himself and got banned again.

Midelne is living the pod life and doesn't have time for us anymore.

I seem to remember Corvettefisher popped back up to tell everyone how great it was being a professional cosplayer, didn't he?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

He was probably the most relentlessly annoying poster this forum has seen, a walking pile of alcoholism, Dunning-Kruger and anime

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jeoh posted:

He was probably the most relentlessly annoying poster this forum has seen, a walking pile of alcoholism, Dunning-Kruger and anime

For what it's worth, I can confirm DAF's opinions about anime were as atrociously bad as the rest of his general posting.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
poo poo pissing me off.

Proposal to check and remove domain admin from normal user accounts denied again.
Reason: unnecessary extra work. besides we have antivirus. :smith:

I even gave them a script to check for every normal account that has domain admin rights. All that should have been done is create a second account with domain admin.
That is only used when using it for work that requires domain admin access. I've even showed them how I do it. and the security risks that domain admin brings with it.

:negative:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sefal posted:

poo poo pissing me off.

Proposal to check and remove domain admin from normal user accounts denied again.
Reason: unnecessary extra work. besides we have antivirus. :smith:

I even gave them a script to check for every normal account that has domain admin rights. All that should have been done is create a second account with domain admin.
That is only used when using it for work that requires domain admin access. I've even showed them how I do it. and the security risks that domain admin brings with it.

:negative:

I can understand giving users local admin rights because of stupid software poo poo, but domain admin? :yikes:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Enterprise Admin or go home.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Jeoh posted:

Yeah but if I remember right he knew his poo poo, didn't he? Or was that all a facade too?

Man I should really catch up on all this juicy drama!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
CenturyLink was no-show for a second time.

They marked it as installed AGAIN.

A installer never set foot on the property at any time. Hell there isn't even a line to the building yet.

I give up.... I really do.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rudager posted:

I can understand giving users local admin rights because of stupid software poo poo, but domain admin? :yikes:

Jesus. I don't even have real domain access until I'm finished my probation period. I can bind, but that's about it.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 18, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

CenturyLink was no-show for a second time.

They marked it as installed AGAIN.

A installer never set foot on the property at any time. Hell there isn't even a line to the building yet.

I give up.... I really do.

Got security camera footage of the site's entrance? Get whatever timestamp they reckon an installer attended and send them the footage from around that time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I absolutely love making a network diagram where one endpoint is a cloud labeled "Unknown network"

Where do these T1s go? They haven't been used in over three years, we don't pay for them, and yet one of the link lights is still on. The cable leads into the wall in a building where the only network equipment is in the server room.

And don't I loving know that the whole matchstick mess is going to fall apart when I unplug it.

Set up a maintenance window, unplug it, and test if everything still works. Leave it unplugged unless someone reports a problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Got security camera footage of the site's entrance? Get whatever timestamp they reckon an installer attended and send them the footage from around that time.

How does that solve the problem when the problem is that they just don't care?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Unfortunately no, the site is still under construction. Just now starting to put the network in.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Volmarias posted:

How does that solve the problem when the problem is that they just don't care?

Normally I'm not a big proponent of lawsuits, but twice claiming work completed without any actual attempt should be actionable. A few lost suits for that poo poo would probably help nationally.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The issue is that they are in telecoms, so they don't give a poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Unfortunately no, the site is still under construction. Just now starting to put the network in.

Ask them to tell you what the current values are on the port leading to your site, because I doubt they'll be very good readings if there's no service on your end.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ask them to tell you what the current values are on the port leading to your site, because I doubt they'll be very good readings if there's no service on your end.

Well there definitely wouldn't be very good values, because there isn't even a line to the building yet!

They are supposed to show up again today. Not holding my breath.

Do they make 21 mile long Ethernet patch cords? Because at this point that looks like the only way we are going to get service.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

Set up a maintenance window, unplug it, and test if everything still works. Leave it unplugged unless someone reports a problem.

I know the endpoint on the other end of the T1 but i have no idea where the demarcs are for this poo poo. We havent routed over this T1 since we bought a 30 mbps evpl link over our fiber line.

I had no idea we were even paying for an active T1 so somebody is gonna be happy in the business department next week.

Pretty loving typical that the guy before me did the smart thing by upgrading to a superior service, and then did the dumb thing by never cancelling the old poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Well there definitely wouldn't be very good values, because there isn't even a line to the building yet!

They'll either lie to you, or have to comment that it clearly isn't installed. On what's presumably an IP phone system on your end that records all calls?...

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They'll either lie to you, or have to comment that it clearly isn't installed. On what's presumably an IP phone system on your end that records all calls?...

"Sir we are seeing 100% packet drop, can you confirm your equipment is powered on? Yes sir you should have equipment I see the notes that this service was installed twice. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Well then, if you can't power the equipment on I'm afraid I can't help troubleshoot this issue, please contact the warranty services department for further assistance. Their number is invisible and their hold time is roughly 2 - 39 hours."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I know the endpoint on the other end of the T1 but i have no idea where the demarcs are for this poo poo. We havent routed over this T1 since we bought a 30 mbps evpl link over our fiber line.

I had no idea we were even paying for an active T1 so somebody is gonna be happy in the business department next week.

Pretty loving typical that the guy before me did the smart thing by upgrading to a superior service, and then did the dumb thing by never cancelling the old poo poo.

I imagine some higher up said they had to keep the old T1 in case the new connection didn't work, or maybe it was intended to be a backup connection for failover but was never configured.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

I imagine some higher up said they had to keep the old T1 in case the new connection didn't work, or maybe it was intended to be a backup connection for failover but was never configured.

Nope, 100% guarantee this is not the case. IT is it's own island here, a red-headed stepchild of the business department. There is not a single higher up that would understand, let alone interfere with T1 lines.

My predecessor sucked at this job and left zero documentation for anything. It's so much more likely that this slipped under his radar. There are two other T1 lines that have been deactivated, but are still plugged in to the router.

If anything the old MSP probably convinced him to keep it in place for a month and nobody wrote that down, so everybody forgot it was there and we've been paying ever since.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"Sir we are seeing 100% packet drop, can you confirm your equipment is powered on? Yes sir you should have equipment I see the notes that this service was installed twice. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? Well then, if you can't power the equipment on I'm afraid I can't help troubleshoot this issue, please contact the warranty services department for further assistance. Their number is invisible and their hold time is roughly 2 - 39 hours."

PTSD warning pls

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not pissing me off: Long vacations are the best. Am 2500 miles into a 5000 mile road trip and have been away from my desk for almost a week and a half. And won't be back for another two.

The best part is coming out of some rural area every other day and when my phone gets a signal seeing the unread emails badge grow by 200. Nope, not gonna peek, no one can force me!

My coworkers are good at their job so I'm sure everything's fine, but I haven't had a proper vacation in years and this is a weird place to be.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Someone would be murdered. Just reading this makes me angry!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

mattfl posted:

Someone would be murdered. Just reading this makes me angry!

If murder over the phone was possible, I can't say I wouldn't have used that ability already.... Multiple times. Not that it would do any good however. Someone equally as useless would have replaced them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

At some point I'm going to have fire our new-ish helpdesk guy. He's an idiot.

After people leave, we archive the mailbox to a PST and then burn it to a DVD in case someone needs it later.

Who's been doing ONLY the inbox? New guy.

He's also not very careful when creating email forwards. Made one, spelled the last name wrong, wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't the company's owners kid/last name.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mllaneza posted:

My thinking right now is that if I drink enough I'll forget I'm planning write a scathing Glassdoor review of my current place of employment. It's a good theory.

Go through seven proxies. Nothing bad can happen then, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I received an email from Cybercoders that said "Your resume is impressive. Would you be interested in an opportunity as a desktop support engineer?" :confuoot:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dick Trauma posted:

I received an email from Cybercoders that said "Your resume is impressive. Would you be interested in an opportunity as a desktop support engineer?" :confuoot:

I know I always feel personally complimented when I'm caught in the blast radius of a recruiter carpet-bomb.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Trauma posted:

I'm pretty sure engineers get paid pretty well, you should go for it. :yotj:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Naw, Centurylink will happily transfer you to someone who can help.

1 - back to the call pool
2 -4 - see 1
5 - Spanish-only CSR
6 - see 1
7 - DSL router hardware repair
8 - 10 - see 1
11 - someone who actually seems helpf... oh, it's 6 PM time to drop the call and go to the after-hours message better luck tomorrow!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dick Trauma posted:

You have a pulse, don't get too excited. Cybercoders is literal garbage and I never want to take a resume from them again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Samizdata posted:

Go through seven proxies. Nothing bad can happen then, right?

Team size is also an issue.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Team size is also an issue.

Huh. Well, when you do drink and snap, at least give us some hints to the posting so we can cackle along with you, albeit soberly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Volmarias posted:

You have a pulse, don't get too excited. Cybercoders is literal garbage and I never want to take a resume from them again.

The joke is that I'm currently a senior VP and have been a manager of some sort for the last 17 years. They would've seen that if they'd read my resume.

Not that I think I'm better than a desktop engineer, just that with my experience it would seem to be a big step backward and significantly less pay.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
"Thoughts?"

This word makes me crazy and instantly brings out the snark in me.

"Hey Agrikk, you should work on X unrelated thing to your customers, position or job description. Thoughts?"

Yeah, here's a thought: No.

Here's another thought: Go gently caress yourself.

Here's a third and fourth thought: Happy Friday, bitches. I'm on PTO for the next week.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Relevant to the recurring PTO discussions:

I'm taking two weeks off starting next Wednesday. This is the first time in 3 or 4 years that I've been able to take that amount of time off in one go.

The difference in attitude about vacation at $currentJob vs $oldJob is striking.

Whenever I mention my upcoming vacation at $currentJob, the reaction is always positive "That great! Have fun! Don't worry about this deadline, we'll move it to accommodate you!"

Whenever I took any time off, even if it was just a single day the reaction was always "What are we going to do? How will this thing get done on time? I'm going to need you to be available by phone."

Joke's on $oldJob though, since I quit and moved 400 miles last fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Agrikk posted:

"Thoughts?"

This word makes me crazy and instantly brings out the snark in me.

"Hey Agrikk, you should work on X unrelated thing to your customers, position or job description. Thoughts?"

Yeah, here's a thought: No.

Here's another thought: Go gently caress yourself.

Here's a third and fourth thought: Happy Friday, bitches. I'm on PTO for the next week.

Relevant to this, people using "no?" as shorthand for "is this correct?" - e.g. "That build deployed yesterday, no?". I can't explain why it grates so much, but it does.