Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Appoda posted:

Probably true. The narratives, characters, and dialogue to all of those games are poo poo, but I stand by Symphonia being a bit more mechanically sound/easier to understand than some of the other titles on steam. You get the things that make the numbers go up. Sometimes you eat food. Certain moves combo together nicely. Etc.

Are there any other notable/good RPGs on steam that are lesser known? Every now and then I get the urge to jump down the jRPG rabbit hole, even if I rarely come out liking them in the end.

Berseria is legitimately well-written, in that it has a consistent and entertaining cast of characters, a grasp of theme and motif, and a plot that hits all the necessary beats without forcing you through a lot of tedious globetrotting and politicking (like Abyss), overuse of fantasy jargon (Abyss again), or accidentally turning into an entirely different and half-finished story in the final act (Vesperia).

Also the protagonist is probably one of the best heroines I've seen in a while, even if she does look like she lost a fight with a rider mower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Appoda posted:

Are there any other notable/good RPGs on steam that are lesser known? Every now and then I get the urge to jump down the jRPG rabbit hole, even if I rarely come out liking them in the end.

I never beat Last Odyssey because some of the characters and cutscenes were too annoying to me, but it has a decent battle system, doesn't even allow grinding and some aspects of the story are really good. I know some people liked it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I remember enjoying the Last Odyssey until 2 children randomly joined my party, and they were so awful and twee that I just couldn't continue.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

TopHatGenius posted:

Prey is super good. Love the aesthetics and if you want a System Shock 3, this is it. Also the Neuromod powers system lets you really change how to approach the game so multiple playthroughs can be really different.

This is true, I feared to put enough alien bits in my eye to shoot lightning, opting instead to be supernaturally good at improving weapons, and also mega jumps. I didn't even use combat focus, but when I do a typhon power run I think I gotta try it. And all this throwing things at monsters deal sounds very efficient.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I remember enjoying the Last Odyssey until 2 children randomly joined my party, and they were so awful and twee that I just couldn't continue.

The kids are faintly improved by being actually related to the protagonist, but yeah, Phil and Lil Pickles butting into my party was a little much.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Are you guys talking about lost odyssey or is there another game that randomly features annoying children. Also I don't think it is on pc?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The Lost Odyssey, and yeah it's X360 only I think.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

kater posted:

Are you guys talking about lost odyssey or is there another game that randomly features annoying children. Also I don't think it is on pc?

Huh you're right, sorry. I really thought it was on PC for some reason.

The 2 kids were exactly what made me stop playing too, though, so if that many people had the same problem maybe it's not worth playing anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think "randomly features annoying children" describes about 90% of all japanese games and about 50% of all western games

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I didn't mind the kids but the game overall goes kinda downhill after the first disc. The stories stay cool though.

As for steam jrpg recommendations: West of Loathing.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

nearing 7 months since release and people are starting to notice that berseria is actuallly good

i blame zestiria impacting initial reception

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Catpain Slack posted:

there was only one thing in the game i disliked loving elevator puzzle :argh:

For me the truly irritating thing about that is after struggling with that loving puzzle and finally besting it, I later discovered that if I had explored around the Alexandria Ranch some more first I could have completely avoided that puzzle :negative:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

kater posted:

As for steam jrpg recommendations: West of Loathing.

Best part is the game doesn't have any annoying children.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vesperia has always been my favorite Tales game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Appoda posted:

Have you tried Trails in the Sky or Trails of Cold Steel?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Regarding the Steam Key allocation stuff from yesterday: Valve released a brief statement to press asking about it:

quote:

Steam keys have always been available for free to our partners to help them sell PC games at physical retail and on other digital stores. In return, we've asked that partners offer Steam customers a fair deal, similar to what they're offering on other stores. None of that is changing.

But over the last few years, new features and additions to Steam have changed the way Steam keys were being used, for instance as a means for game-shaped objects to monetize on Steam through methods other than actually selling fun games to customers. Most notably, this meant farming Steam Trading Cards. We shared a lot of info about that issue, and our response to it, here.

While our changes did impact the economics of trading card farming for new products coming to Steam, there are still a lot of games and game-shaped objects using Steam keys as a way to manipulate Steam systems. As a result, we're trying to look more closely at extreme examples of products on Steam that don't seem to be providing actual value as playable games-for instance, when a game has sold 100 units, has mostly negative reviews, but requests 500,000 Steam keys. We're not interested in supporting trading card farming or bot networks at the expense of being able to provide value and service for players.

It's completely OK for partners to sell their games on other sites via Steam keys, and run discounts or bundles on other stores, and we'll continue granting free keys to help partners do those things. But it's not OK to negatively impact our customers by manipulating our store and features.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Steam Thread 2017: game-shaped objects

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Kins posted:

Regarding the Steam Key allocation stuff from yesterday: Valve released a brief statement to press asking about it:

the steam announcement they linked to has complaints from people living in third world countries who do trading card scams as their primary form of income

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Anyone got anything good from GOG's pinatas? Just makes me want Viva Pinata 1/2 on steam...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

strategery posted:

Anyone got anything good from GOG's pinatas? Just makes me want Viva Pinata 1/2 on steam...

I did exactly one that got me Victor Vran, which like, thanks I guess. I'd say that's probably the least interesting thing it could have given me that I'll actually play eventually.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

They gave me Anno 1669, Battlezone 1969 and World in Conflict. I guess I might play world in Conflict?

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
On a lark I went and tried a pinata and got Expedition: Viking, which I had actually been wanting to buy. $30 game for $3 not bad!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

the steam announcement they linked to has complaints from people living in third world countries who do trading card scams as their primary form of income

i want to say a few years back a goon who quit his job in order to do this was upset because they banned his account from trading

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I see Signal from Tolva is the daily deal today. Has anyone played it? I used to have it wishlisted, but took it off during the summer sale for some reason (can't remember why - maybe it was too samey?)
It's the same team that did Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

strategery posted:

I got Bedlam Deluxe which I've heard is...not great. Then I got Trine. I'm done.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Idgi. How exactly are they turning card sales into monies? Selling stuff on the marketplace just gives you steambux?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Jim Barris posted:

Idgi. How exactly are they turning card sales into monies? Selling stuff on the marketplace just gives you steambux?

I'm no expert, and just guessing, but you could buy a TF2 hat for $3000 steam bucks (if you made that much by selling stuff), sell that for private money separately (so the person paypal's you $3000), and then just trade for it on Steam for a $0.11 emote.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jim Barris posted:

Developers get a 10% cut (Valve gets 5%) from every marketplace sale. Valve pays devs via bank transfers, not steambux, lol.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

They weren't asking about devs, but users getting $ out of Steam.

I just assumed they did stuff like this:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3807537

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I am going to have to buy Prey. I was wary of it because it looked like generic alien shooter. After seeing people on Giant Bomb praise it and seeing the praise here, I checked out the demo. I love exploring things, collecting, and figuring out mysteries. I think I'm going to like the rest.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

keep in mind it isn't about the cards themselves, but backgrounds & emoticons that don't need to be relevant to the game that you're adding into the steam market

if you have bots farm the cards from keys and craft up the backgrounds & emoticons you can set the expected market value. sell a couple so it looks like demand exists for the pricepoint and spam it on some popular game discussion threads so the general public knows the emoticon exists and tries to buy it only to see it's going for $50 on the market, but the game costs $5 so really it pays for itself in card money

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

strategery posted:

I got Faces of War, Metro 2033 Redux, Armikrog, Edna and Harvey and Slave Zero. Faces of War and Armikrog I'm uninterested in, Metro 2033 Redux I already own on Steam, the other two are poo poo. Wish I got lucky and got something good I didn't already own.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

il_cornuto posted:

Huh you're right, sorry. I really thought it was on PC for some reason.

The 2 kids were exactly what made me stop playing too, though, so if that many people had the same problem maybe it's not worth playing anyway.

1) lost odyssey is one of the best games i've ever played hands down
2) the kids' dubs in english are aggressively bad (even though the game's lip flap is natively synced to english :v:)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

if you have bots farm the cards from keys and craft up the backgrounds & emoticons you can set the expected market value. sell a couple so it looks like demand exists for the pricepoint and spam it on some popular game discussion threads so the general public knows the emoticon exists and tries to buy it only to see it's going for $50 on the market, but the game costs $5 so really it pays for itself in card money

People are weird.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Kragger99 posted:

I see Signal from Tolva is the daily deal today. Has anyone played it? I used to have it wishlisted, but took it off during the summer sale for some reason (can't remember why - maybe it was too samey?)
It's the same team that did Sir, You Are Being Hunted.

I got it the week it came out and beat it. It has some neat, eerie story moments but it's pretty short (explored the whole game world area in 8 hours) and repetitive. Very little weapon or enemy variety.

I just took a look at the "not recommended" reviews near the top of the store page and I agreed with them, I suggest you check them out - it's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination, it just feels like a neat idea for a game severely constrained by its budget. $10 might be an appropriate price for the experience.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Long shot, but watch_dogs2 straight-up does not work with at least 2 different controllers - the R-stick functionality is completely gone. Doesn't happen with other games. Thoughts?

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I did two pinatas on GOG, got Resonance which I already own on steam and https://www.gog.com/game/tahira_echoes_of_the_astral_empire which looks neat

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Bruteman posted:

I got it the week it came out and beat it. It has some neat, eerie story moments but it's pretty short (explored the whole game world area in 8 hours) and repetitive. Very little weapon or enemy variety.

I just took a look at the "not recommended" reviews near the top of the store page and I agreed with them, I suggest you check them out - it's not a terrible game by any stretch of the imagination, it just feels like a neat idea for a game severely constrained by its budget. $10 might be an appropriate price for the experience.

Thanks. I actually got it a little cheaper as I owned the 2 other games that team did, and just bought their entire bundle.
For ~$8, it's worth a try.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

strategery posted:

I got Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and the pinata price ended up being cheaper than it's ever been but I doubt most people will be as lucky so I'll stop while I'm ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Long shot, but watch_dogs2 straight-up does not work with at least 2 different controllers - the R-stick functionality is completely gone. Doesn't happen with other games. Thoughts?

Sininu posted:

Do you have Xbox One Controller? Go to big picture mode, find the game, go to controller options for that game and turn off Steam controller configuration support. It breaks right stick and dpad in some games.

Try this even if you have X360 controller.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Aug 18, 2017