Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That sounds really obnoxious unless I'm missing a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
:thejoke:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BioEnchanted posted:

That sounds really obnoxious unless I'm missing a joke.

Nah man
Hes gotta take good care of his credibility and LPer brand cachet

Ita a good idea

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm tired, thought I was being dumb :P

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Putty posted:

I had the idea to start putting sponsored content in my LPs, but disguise them as screamers so people get scared rather than think I'm a shill. Thoughts?

I see no flaws whatsoever with this plan.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty posted:

I had the idea to start putting sponsored content in my LPs, but disguise them as screamers so people get scared rather than think I'm a shill. Thoughts?

im gonna take this idea.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
So I've run into a unique issue. Well. Probably not that unique.

I got a copyright dispute on this video. Not a strike, just a dispute. Videomite is a Turkish company and the channel Geekyapar // OYUN is a Turkish gaming channel which oh gee whiz just happened to put out an Arkham City video with this exact scene a few days ago. I feel pretty confident in saying neither of these fuckers has any legal grounding for this claim. Do I just toss out a dispute on fair use or do I join the pantheon of people who are just getting hosed by youtube?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Claim fair use, I forget what the dispute/appeals process is like so I'm not sure if there is a form where you can actually write something a little more freeform instead of just hitting radio buttons, but pointing out that they're both using footage from a game rather than anything anything of the uploader's own creation seems like it would be worth doing.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Youtube doesn't have an option for "The entity making the claim does not actually hold the copyright for the content," so there's a giant hole in their dispute mechanism. I don't know whether it's because nobody at Google thought anyone would ever file a false claim, or because they're not willing to handle the legal issues that would open up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nidoking posted:

Youtube doesn't have an option for "The entity making the claim does not actually hold the copyright for the content," so there's a giant hole in their dispute mechanism. I don't know whether it's because nobody at Google thought anyone would ever file a false claim, or because they're not willing to handle the legal issues that would open up.

I'm guessing the latter. There's always easy cases like this (where someone who obviously has nothing to do with the copyright is filing a false claim), but there's also the possibility of someone disputing the actual company's ownership and requiring investigation to confirm.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
They released the claim. Jerks.

Anyway here's an actual sandcastle post. It's been a year since I did solo post-commentary and it feels weird. Please tell me if it's bad. It feels kinda rough to me!

You Only Let's Play Twice (No One Lives Forever 2)

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way is a really good game! The sequel to The Operative, the humor has changed, the gameplay has largely improved, the gunplay has improved, the graphics have definitely improved, and all over it's an extremely solid experience. The game kicks off fairly shortly after the conclusion of No One Lives Forever 1. H.A.R.M. is resurgent due to the events of Contract: J.A.C.K. which is a bad game I'll talk about here and there but otherwise ignore. Cate Archer, our brave heroine, continues to foil international plots and look kickin' rad while doing it.

As before I'm not super familiar with this game but I'm confident most of it will shake out well. These games do remain in rights limbo so unless you've got a physical copy you won't have much (legal) chance of playing it. But as always, please enjoy, and let me know if I can make any improvements.

Videos

Cate Archer Must Die!
Scene 1/Polsy

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

They released the claim. Jerks.

Anyway here's an actual sandcastle post. It's been a year since I did solo post-commentary and it feels weird. Please tell me if it's bad. It feels kinda rough to me!

You Only Let's Play Twice (No One Lives Forever 2)

No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M.'s Way is a really good game! The sequel to The Operative, the humor has changed, the gameplay has largely improved, the gunplay has improved, the graphics have definitely improved, and all over it's an extremely solid experience. The game kicks off fairly shortly after the conclusion of No One Lives Forever 1. H.A.R.M. is resurgent due to the events of Contract: J.A.C.K. which is a bad game I'll talk about here and there but otherwise ignore. Cate Archer, our brave heroine, continues to foil international plots and look kickin' rad while doing it.

As before I'm not super familiar with this game but I'm confident most of it will shake out well. These games do remain in rights limbo so unless you've got a physical copy you won't have much (legal) chance of playing it. But as always, please enjoy, and let me know if I can make any improvements.

Videos

Cate Archer Must Die!
Scene 1/Polsy

Looks great, I've been waiting for this one.

Also, what does it mean in this context that they released the claim? Did they back off once you filed the dispute? Do they face any repercussions for filing a false claim, or can they shotgun those all over youtube?

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 15, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Also, what does it mean in this context that they released the claim? Did they back off once you filed the dispute? Do they face any repercussions for filing a false claim, or can they shotgun those all over youtube?

I'm not a lawyer so I might be completely wrong here, but as far as I'm aware you're supposed to get in trouble for false claims, but in order to get in trouble you have to be sued by someone you made a false claim against.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah that doesn't exactly stop some people. There's at least one person that i know of who is being sued for dmca claims but is still issuing them like there's no tomorrow.

Though I'm glad someone is doing No one lives forever Two. I never beat that game and any playthrough I do find is about the first game. I look forward to seeing it.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 15, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

senrath posted:

I'm not a lawyer so I might be completely wrong here, but as far as I'm aware you're supposed to get in trouble for false claims, but in order to get in trouble you have to be sued by someone you made a false claim against.

There is also one huge hole in this: Its not like that Turkish group could be sued. What are you gonna do, sue them under the laws of Turkey? Meaning anyone in a foreign country can issue them willy nilly and have zero legal repercussions.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
No, but they could be sued under U.S. law if they're doing business in the U.S., at which point they have a choice. Either show up and deal with a court system they're unfamiliar with (expensive), or don't show up (cheap) and lose the case by default. They may choose to pick option #2, but the repercussions for losing the case would probably include some sort of fine to be paid to the U.S. government, which may or may not be more expensive than the costs of defending the lawsuit would have been. And if they don't pay that fine, the repercussions would, eventually, end up with, "Well, if you won't abide by our laws then we won't let you do business in the U.S. at all." Which would be written in much thicker legalese, but that's what it would boil down to.

So it's not quite such a huge hole as all that. U.S. courts have no jurisdiction in foreign countries, but "We won't let you do business in the U.S." is enough of an economic penalty that it's a viable threat to many people. Which would probably include this Turkish gaming company, since they have a Youtube channel and Youtube is owned by a U.S. company. If a U.S. court says, "You're barred from doing business in the U.S.", Youtube would be legally justified in shutting down that person's Youtube channel, and they'd then lose whatever advertising revenue they'd been getting from that channel.

Of course, in this specific case they released the false claim, so it's basically a moot point now.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

senrath posted:

It's a bit worse than that on Youtube, since most of the claims are from the automated system. It's got no option to say "This is a false positive and isn't the content you matched it to," so you have to make a statement under penalty of law that you own the content even if you don't long before any claimant would be making a legal statement one way or the other.

Manual claims are, according to copyright law, made under penalty of perjury. I don't think that's something they have to be sued for, since it's a criminal offense, but the victim would have to get the legal system involved, and it's probably going to be tough to find a prosecutor willing to take that up.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

Manual claims are, according to copyright law, made under penalty of perjury. I don't think that's something they have to be sued for, since it's a criminal offense, but the victim would have to get the legal system involved, and it's probably going to be tough to find a prosecutor willing to take that up.

Very tough: it's only actually been prosecuted twice since the law was first passed, because the law specifically mandates that the plaintiff has to prove bad faith on the part of the one that made the claim, so no one usually bothers to even file because it's rarely with the effort.

In both those cases it was because it was even more ridiculous of a claim than the usual YouTube nonsense and there was someone really intent at taking a shot at it. One of them was a company claiming a link to a page with a link to a page with leaked damaging information about them was a DMCA violation in an attempt at shutting down the leak, which the EFF took up, and the other was a known massive copyright troll and someone who was intent on getting them to stop; they ended up not showing up to court and losing by default.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
I was wondering if there was an existing discord channel for this forum? If not, what do you guys think of having one? It could make collabs ten times easier, maybe even have some fun discussions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Skypizza posted:

I was wondering if there was an existing discord channel for this forum? If not, what do you guys think of having one? It could make collabs ten times easier, maybe even have some fun discussions.

1. Go to the first post in this thread.
2. Press Ctrl+F.
3. Search 'Discord'
4. Click on the link you find.

Good luck!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Final episode of my first LP. It's been a blast learning along the way and talking to myself in the wee hours of the night not trying to wake up my family. I've already started recording my next one. Thanks to anyone who took even a sniff of a glance. And if you didn't, thanks for tolerating me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJ6rjXKuRQ

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Spikeguy posted:

Final episode of my first LP. It's been a blast learning along the way and talking to myself in the wee hours of the night not trying to wake up my family. I've already started recording my next one. Thanks to anyone who took even a sniff of a glance. And if you didn't, thanks for tolerating me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJ6rjXKuRQ

The fullcaps title with no break to show what the video title is, the game name is, and a straight LP video having it's own kooky branding, made me turn off immediately. A description that is just plugging your twitter is even worse.

"TIRED PLAY MASS EFFECT FINAL EPISODE FATE OF THE GALAXY" vs "Let's Play Mass Effect - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" is a much better title. Heck, "Mass Effect (2007) - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" or "Mass Effect 1 - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" are much better titles as it shows clearly which title in the four game series this is.

You don't need to introduce who you are in each episode, especially in the finale: That's what your channel name is for. You don't need kooky branding unless you do anything different, which you don't. Your commentary is not awful though, it's fairly par for the course. Do try not to talk over dialogue or cutscenes as often though, that's a major pet peeve. (I will back your Aliens stance though).

Lastly though, you should probably upload the first video of your next series here, receive feedback, potentially re-do it and open up a thread here in the lets play subforum. You'll learn way more, since people will actually be watching and could give feedback throughout.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I tend to introduce myself at the start of my videos but it's just because it feels rude not to to me. It just wouldn't feel right.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The fullcaps title with no break to show what the video title is, the game name is, and a straight LP video having it's own kooky branding, made me turn off immediately. A description that is just plugging your twitter is even worse.

"TIRED PLAY MASS EFFECT FINAL EPISODE FATE OF THE GALAXY" vs "Let's Play Mass Effect - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" is a much better title. Heck, "Mass Effect (2007) - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" or "Mass Effect 1 - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" are much better titles as it shows clearly which title in the four game series this is.

You don't need to introduce who you are in each episode, especially in the finale: That's what your channel name is for. You don't need kooky branding unless you do anything different, which you don't. Your commentary is not awful though, it's fairly par for the course. Do try not to talk over dialogue or cutscenes as often though, that's a major pet peeve. (I will back your Aliens stance though).

Lastly though, you should probably upload the first video of your next series here, receive feedback, potentially re-do it and open up a thread here in the lets play subforum. You'll learn way more, since people will actually be watching and could give feedback throughout.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I think I'll take you up on your advice about opening up a thread here. Just wanted to say, you guys have been super nice. No one has been rude or just told me to gently caress off and leave them alone. I really appreciate the tips guys.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

Thank you so much for the feedback. I think I'll take you up on your advice about opening up a thread here. Just wanted to say, you guys have been super nice. No one has been rude or just told me to gently caress off and leave them alone. I really appreciate the tips guys.

That's because this is the "halp how do i lp" thread. The actual Let's Play subforum is usually pretty nice too, but not always.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, we're generally pretty friendly if the effort is put in to learn. It when people come in with a thread featuring a camcordered Youtube dump of 100 hours of Persona 5 in which the player clearly has no idea what to do that we get catty because it's then obvious that the person hasn't read the rules or the sandcastle at all. :P

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Just watch out for all the hints of jerkiness still on the forums if you want to avoid them. One major example- if you don't pick a genre label for your thread you end up with "poo poo Post". You may not want that designation, or if you're like me and ended up with it unknowingly, you may decide it's all about irony and defying labels. :)

Good luck.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A more general tip is not to overextend - doing a bunch of really long games all in a row may get tiring. My first LPs here were really short games, like 12-15 videos, and now I'm doing a much larger game now that I have the workflow down, but after this I'll probably go back to something fairly short for my next project before going to a game a really wanted to do for a while, but that will still be fairly chunky in length. If I go straight to the latter I feel like I'd probably burn out.

Also don't get discouraged if you don't get replies. Sometimes games speak for themselves and don't leave much for discussion. Most of my threads have eventually become me chainposting updates, but I know I'm still being watched for the duration due to seeing that the number of views on the thread spikes when new vids are posted.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 20, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

achtungnight posted:

Just watch out for all the hints of jerkiness still on the forums if you want to avoid them. One major example- if you don't pick a genre label for your thread you end up with "poo poo Post". You may not want that designation, or if you're like me and ended up with it unknowingly, you may decide it's all about irony and defying labels. :)

Good luck.

And if you do gently caress that part up, you can always post a request here, in the Discord, or PM Fedule or me to change the thread tag.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thanks to the suggestion posted above, I've decided to start a thread for my next LP - Mass Effect 2

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831203&pagenumber=1#lastpost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK28dXqg7-k

Can Commander Shepard overcome impossible odds to save a galaxy that seems determined to drag its feet in the face of possible destruction? Well, things don't seem to be going well so far.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You should post that in the New LP thread, where people post announcements of their new LPs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Solumin posted:

You should post that in the New LP thread, where people post announcements of their new LPs: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993

Appreciate

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Trying something different for my next LP. Hoping I can get some feedback before I go full in because this is a lot more effort than regular talking over video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZglvIMm1axc

I'm considering sticking to the gimmick for the thread, too. Which would mean updates are just a hand-written journal page that link to the videos and no other preamble or information about the game. But maybe it would be better for the thread to give viewers a little more info on what's going on here. I welcome opinions on the matter.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

ZiegeDame posted:

Trying something different for my next LP. Hoping I can get some feedback before I go full in because this is a lot more effort than regular talking over video games.

I'm considering sticking to the gimmick for the thread, too. Which would mean updates are just a hand-written journal page that link to the videos and no other preamble or information about the game. But maybe it would be better for the thread to give viewers a little more info on what's going on here. I welcome opinions on the matter.

So I tried watching the video but I bounced off it. I started skipping through and realized I wasn't paying attention. I'd chalk that up in part to me doing something that I only had half attention on the video, part in that I've never seen the game. That could all just be me but it didn't work. It might be better if the videos were shorter, 43min is a long time to demand attention for a narrative VLP.

I do like the idea for thread updates being in the hand-written note form. If you are attached to the narrative format, I'd say thread notes would be the place to do it for more of a hybrid VLP. But that's just like, my opinion. Man. If you feel strongly about the narrative VLP, go for it. I'd still err on shorter videos though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ZiegeDame posted:

I love the idea, but you ham it up a bit too much. It feels like a bad Freeman's Mind. It's also far too long as dscruffy pointed out: Freeman's Mind does 5-10 minute highly scripted and rehearsed videos for a good reason. Given the nature of the game, straight comedy is probably a bad idea. However, a Bear Grylls style survival guide presentation can not only give you a great jumping off point to deliver information about the game in an in-universe fashion, it itself is also funny without being obnoxious.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

baldurk posted:

Switchover is done, DNS propagation seems to be pretty much sorted now although there's always a handful of slow holdouts.

Let me know if something is busted.

I know it is now about a month later, but I'm having trouble resolving lpix.org and so do those dns lookup websites.
My phone still manages to when on mobile data, but maybe that's going on cached data?

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Geemer posted:

I know it is now about a month later, but I'm having trouble resolving lpix.org and so do those dns lookup websites.
My phone still manages to when on mobile data, but maybe that's going on cached data?

Same problem for me. It was fine this morning (I think) but I can no longer resolve lpix.org. On the other hand lparchive.org resolves just fine. Let me know if there's some more info you need or if you want me to try something.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Geemer posted:

It was working for me earlier today, and looks like it just went down.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Dreamhost is being DDos'd leading to DNS resolve failures.

You can hosts file it temporarily to 209.133.211.153 but remember to delete it after things are back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

baldurk posted:

Dreamhost is being DDos'd leading to DNS resolve failures.

You can hosts file it temporarily to 209.133.211.153 but remember to delete it after things are back to normal.

Thanks for the update!