Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Holy poo poo. He really is making the next Star Trek series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
He definitely gets what made the Star Trek I grew up with so good. It remains to be seen whether he can translate that into a good TV show but there's a zero percent chance it'll be worse than Discovery

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

quote:

The Orville isn’t serialized, so it’s free to hop around from lighter stories to heavier ones from one week to next, MacFarlane says: “Each week, you’re seeing a little movie, and each story is different. And tonally, there will be some variance. But the characters are always the characters.” He cites Star Trek: The Next Generation as a touchstone, which had “a big two-part episode about the Borg that was followed up the next week with a story about Picard going home to France to visit his brother at the winery… And I remember thinking, ‘God, this is how TV should be. You should be able to write any kind of story each week, and really surprise your audience.'”
I wouldn't cite Family as an example of non-serialized storytelling :v:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

^I thiiink he's referring to how the episode was completely different from the previous two. Crazy poo poo in space followed by an introspective episode set on Earth. The follow up in another show would've been post-battle thing or politics or whatever but TNG went a completely different route (which owned, ofc).

Jeb! Repetition posted:

His heart is so completely in the right place about everything that it's gonna be devastating when the show sucks.

It could easily suck bad for sure but at least that would put it on par with Star Trek

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 18, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My wild-rear end guess of a prediction: The show is going to be quite good. Not perfect, but much better than anything Discovery could hope to accomplish, and a good Star Trek show all around. But it's only going to make it a couple seasons, before the network does the usual "wait why are we paying for this" that happens to sci-fi shows people care about and cancels it. And this isn't 1967 anymore so a letter-writing campaign will do jack poo poo and five years later The Orville will be remembered fondly, an example of what science fiction *can* be.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I'm setting the bar a lot lower. If it's not completely grating, I'll watch it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somebody, I think it may have been Brannon Braga, described it as closer in tone to M*A*S*H.

If that's the case, it could be fantastic!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

My wild-rear end guess of a prediction: The show is going to be quite good. Not perfect, but much better than anything Discovery could hope to accomplish, and a good Star Trek show all around. But it's only going to make it a couple seasons, before the network does the usual "wait why are we paying for this" that happens to sci-fi shows people care about and cancels it. And this isn't 1967 anymore so a letter-writing campaign will do jack poo poo and five years later The Orville will be remembered fondly, an example of what science fiction *can* be.

Of course. This is Fox after all, they don't measure genre success in ratings, they measure it in the tears of broken fandoms from prematurely canceled shows.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zurui posted:

I'm intrigued but I'd be so much more down for this if MacFarlane hadn't inexplicably cast himself as the lead in another show.

Same, but I can figure it as long as he doesn't try to shoehorn in his love for lounge singing.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He will, it will probably be one of his character quirks.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

As long as he does it on the holodeck :colbert:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh god, I just had an image of him singing the theme tune a la Roddenberry's lyrics for TOS.

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight...

:gonk:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Nah, Sisko already did it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously he'll have to break out his skills to communicate with the Planet Of The Lounge Singers.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Man I forgot Avery Brooks is a crooner. That was so surprising.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm preemptively keeping my hopes down for this show, the previews didn't really thrill me, but when I read all these little blurbs about how much of a TNG fan Seth is and how the show isn't going to be Family Guy In Space, I can't help but hope it ends up being good. I'll give it a fair shot, just like I'll give Discovery one too (which also seems underwhelming to me).

I'm just worried that when the metal hits the meat and the show needs to be serious, it'll fall flat or be sabotaged by a fart joke or something.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I honestly don't get all the McFarlane hate, but then I haven't really watched a whole lot of his stuff. :shrug: I've also watched a few of his talk show appearances and a Family Guy behind the scenes thing and thought he was very funny.

I found the first trailer pretty funny and didn't get the impression that it will be very serious at all, but the second one definitely showed that it's not going to just be solid jokes. I'm pretty hopeful.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I honestly don't get all the McFarlane hate

I'm sorry but you aren't allowed to be an internet cool kid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think a lot of the hate is for later seasons of Family Guy, which I figured Seth had checked out of long ago aside from reading his lines.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Also, A Million Ways To Die In The West might be one of the worst things ever committed to film

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

raditts posted:

Also, A Million Ways To Die In The West might be one of the worst things ever committed to film

It was basically a live action Family Guy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Good little talking head from Seth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8AXpIP3yDc

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

David D. Davidson posted:

I'm not sure, in American Dad he let's Scott Grimes handle most of the singing;
https://youtu.be/wltTIJiIBiw

He could continue here and we get 90s R&B recreations in the holodeck.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

I have this theory that Seth is actually twins, one good and one evil, and the evil one eventually took over Family Guy while the good one went on to make Cosmos, and from what I can tell from the trailers, this show.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

raditts posted:

It drags a little and feels more like a TV movie than something anybody would ever, in any universe, pay cinema prices to see, but it's not that bad.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

HORATIO HORNBLOWER posted:

It drags a little and feels more like a TV movie than something anybody would ever, in any universe, pay cinema prices to see, but it's not that bad.

Having Liam Neeson insisting on playing an Irish cowboy was worth it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I can only 90% dislike that movie, because the BTTF3 cameo bit warmed my heart.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Argue posted:

I have this theory that Seth is actually twins, one good and one evil, and the evil one eventually took over Family Guy while the good one went on to make Cosmos, and from what I can tell from the trailers, this show.

So you're saying Seth visited the Black Lodge?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Argue posted:

Seth McFarlane is actually just a persona of Roger the Alien.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

Seth McFarlane is actually just a persona of Roger the Alien.

Surprisingly plausible

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There is always that one persona that no-one can see through. :thunk:

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

It's interesting because David A. Goodman is showrunning this series, and he wrote for Star Trek: Enterprise.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I hope Seth MacFarlane can channel his inner Picard/Stewart and give us some serious diatribes. I mean, that was just one part of why TNG was so cool; Picard would lay out the verbal smackdown on some oppresive race or injustice. I don't know if Mac has it in him acting ability-wise, but it would be so cool if he did.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Part of me wants this to be good the other part knows there's going to be a cheap racial joke in the first 5 minutes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

qirex posted:

Part of me wants this to be good the other part knows there's going to be a cheap racial joke in the first 5 minutes.

So it'll be like TOS?

(C'mon, if Starfleet had a HR Dept, McCoy would be called down there every week.)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

As long as it lasts long enough for McFarlane and Grimes to finally do a live action duet.

This would be incredible.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Seth Macfarlane and Patrick Stewart work together a lot, from the voice work in Family Guy and American Dad, but also Macfarlane produced Blunt Talk too.

I would really, really be surprised if Patrick Stewart doesn't show up in Orville at some point, wearing a huge wig.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The more Seth MacFarlane reiterates that this isn't Family Guy In Space, and the more short clips we see from the show, the more I feel like it's going to be akin to SG-1 in tone. And that excites the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Seth Macfarlane and Patrick Stewart work together a lot, from the voice work in Family Guy and American Dad, but also Macfarlane produced Blunt Talk too.

I would really, really be surprised if Patrick Stewart doesn't show up in Orville at some point, wearing a huge wig.

As long as he's doing an obvious and terrible New York accent, too.