Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

busb posted:

EXAMPLE:
Month 1: Birb Steirk ii has 3 Knowledge and 2 Cunning and for Month 1 he uses 3 Effort to ##Study Potions 3 times the first month, giving him a Potions=3 at the start of the second month.

Month 2 there is a solo Potions event, where every students can try to brew the best Chillax Potion. The Event calls on Effort*Cunning (+2 for Studious, Prankster and Pureblooded) stats for success.
He submits a night action of ##Participate Potions with 3 Effort on the event, and ##study potions with 1 Effort, overexerting once.
Birb contributes 3 for his Potions skill, and adds that to triple his Cunning attribute due to his 3 Effort (+2 points for his Cunning skill, tripled by 3 Effort to +6), for a total contribution of 9.

He comes second in the event, winning Slytherin +10 Points (someone put in more effort and/or better skill somehow and won +20 points). He also suffers 3HP damage from the overexertion, leaving him at 7HP for month 3, and with Potions at 4.

Is this example on how events work what is going to be the standard? Where attribute points are multiplied by effort plus a flat bonus for skill in the class? Or could a different event be Skill*Effort+Attribute? Or is it a mystery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I'm in.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Wait if we're first years how can we be on the Quidditch teams? You're not allowed until second year!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Grandicap posted:

Is this example on how events work what is going to be the standard? Where attribute points are multiplied by effort plus a flat bonus for skill in the class? Or could a different event be Skill*Effort+Attribute? Or is it a mystery?

The example shows the standard formula, but it won't be the only one.

:thumbsup:

FewtureMD posted:

Wait if we're first years how can we be on the Quidditch teams? You're not allowed until second year!

But what if... there is no second year? :speculate:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Mordiceius posted:

Ahem, when do I get to wear the sorting hat?

Is this going to be some "Which Hogwarts house are you?" personality quiz?

Sorting is described already in my uh... 4th post just before the signups list

Radio! posted:

When do we get patronuses and are they gonna be cute

first years can't cast patronus charms gosh!!

wheredashimapansat
Oct 14, 2016
/In if you'll have me.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

wheredashimapansat posted:

/In if you'll have me.

Of course!

i'm going to leave signups open for a bit, if we get more numbers that are divisible by 4 we can expand the game easily to fit them in so hopefully everyone has a chance to get in if they want.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Welp, I'm In.
When should I send the character sheet PM? After I have been approved or when the Sorting starts?

LupusAter fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 18, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Tommunist posted:

Are we allowed to execute other students

CRUCIO

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
okay okay im casting a spell guess what it is and win a minor boon

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

LupusAter posted:

Welp, I'm In.
When should I send the character sheet PM? After I have been approved or when the Sorting starts?

Once the playerlist has filled up i will announce in thread and will mock up a better template or something for people to use

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike posted:

Is it a smartness spell?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu05euwsqGo

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Birdstrike posted:

EXPELLIARMUS!

There, now you're not casting anything :smuggo:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

busb posted:

Hmm i don't quite get what you're asking here sorry :(

Event requirements will be RNGed, so any skill could theoretically come up for an event, with class specific events (which will be the majority) aligning along the reference table i supplied. If i roll really lucky/unlucky the event could require weird and whacky skills. Whenever i announce an Event i will specify exactly which skills will benefit it, and will generally follow the formula in the example in the OP (Effort x Base Attribute) + class skill + speciality bonus

Sorry, let me be more clear using your example:

quote:

Month 2 there is a solo Potions event, where every students can try to brew the best Chillax Potion. The Event calls on Effort*Cunning (+2 for Studious, Prankster and Pureblooded) stats for success.
If I have terrible potion and cunning stat, could I in this case use Effort*Empthy (+2 friendly, pure/mudblooded) to ask a friend to make one for me?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Nyaa posted:

Sorry, let me be more clear using your example:

If I have terrible potion and cunning stat, could I in this case use Effort*Empthy (+2 friendly, pure/mudblooded) to ask a friend to make one for me?

Ah i get you. You're taking a freeform role playing/CYOA approach.
No that doesn't work i'm sorry. Basically in that example, you're not going to be able to obtain a big score, you're bad at that specific Event. Only the stats I will list for the Event will provide a bonus. if you have no relevant stats you could just put in 3 effort for 3 total contribution (you'll get a minimum 1 contribution point per effort so there's no multiplying of zero).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I am withdrawing from this game, sorry busb

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I'm in.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The Lord of Hats posted:

EXPELLIARMUS!

There, now you're not casting anything :smuggo:

sorry I casted :quig:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Anyone touches busbs avatar i will be forced to take action

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Tommunist posted:

Anyone touches busbs avatar i will be forced to take action

What if someone changes it to this?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Meinberg posted:

##vote Meinberg

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Meinberg posted:

That is good

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
anime.... no...

anyway i have slightly tweaked the Sorting wording. we are 6 players away and while weekends are slow, if we can fill this up today then we can get things underway before its over t hat would be fantastic for me.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Sign me up for this magical school year!

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Sign me up.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
welcome aboard!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Alright, I can be the wizards and do the magic with my wandz, pew pew...magic!

(sign me up)

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Gonna be the best little wizard. I'm in.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
2 more to go, hopefully we get the last slots overnight and we can Sort poo poo out tomorrow!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
stay on target

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The 'cl' fell off.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Sure thing busb!

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!
Very interested in this setting and this game format. I throw my hat in the ring and hope for ties with Slytherin.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
This looks like it could be fun. I'd play if you'd have me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yay, that's everyone I think! :toot:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sign me up if there's still room.

e: looks like I missed the train on this one.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
If we can get two more we can easily up the house numbers to 7, otherwise I'm sure I'll need replacements at some stage!

I'll give it until characters are done.

Which means get cracking! I need everyone to PM me their characters. Do not post them in this thread.

Or PM me on discord (link to come)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
busb here is my character:

quote:

busb, the talking plane. Anime is bad. Video games are bad. Harry potter is bad. Everything is bad except for Masterchef. I have been telling people this for 420 years. If anyone disagrees I must punish them.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
that is a good character, now go catch your actual plane birb.

For everyone else: if you don't want to use the coding in my fourth post, all i need at a bare minimum is:

Your chosen speciality:
Prankster - Effortblocker and counters the Bully,
Bully - Effortblocker and counters the Prankster
Studious - more effective at Studying actions
Friendly - Investigates statistics of other players
Duellist - Safeguards other players
Pureblooded No ability (vanilla), but comes with its own benefits
Muggle No ability (vanilla), but comes with its own benefits

6 points allocated to:
Bravery - affects physical events and Quidditch
Empathy - affects social events and the end of year Formal
Cunning - affects sneaky events
Knowledge - influences Exams

Your Sorting Request! I highly encourage people to read the Sorting post again. Sorting will take place in the randomised order in the 4th post

Welcome aboard the Hogwarts Express everyone!
https://discord.gg/fb3446

busb fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Your Professors are very happy to meet you, everybody say hello to:

King Burgundy
Ernie
AnAnonymousIdiot
Podima

You four do not need to submit me statistics, but I need to talk to each of you in PMs on Discord!

• Locked thread