Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

Insanity and stupidity

Why is reddit so mean to touchdowntim? I like to think of him as a shining beacon in the volumetric fog that they can't get working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Corn Nuts posted:

This took me way longer than I expected

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Why is reddit so mean to touchdowntim? I like to think of him as a shining beacon in the volumetric fog that they can't get working.

They get upset at someone like Tim. You see the 5 coming towards you then you turn to see the 5 going in for a touchdown. He's the best despite the death threats and abuse hurled.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Sedisp posted:

Jesus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN7HOzS2W2Y&t=144s

this is quite literally baby's first foray into coding level mistakes.

That is okay, buddy. You wrote a generic system where you mark places in your level geometry that can accept boxes, so you can just slide it over to the side and recompile...

Surely.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Amazing Zimmo posted:

:siren: INCOMING SHIP SALE :siren:

No sir this is not pay to win at all

lol what the gently caress is this?

Lando is so uncomfortable with all this that he's putting on a fakey show persona? Why else would you write anything like that except that you're trying to distance yourself from what is happening?

Dude is literally mentally disassociating.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

still funny

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zest posted:

Posting from the past, but is Rez really a VR must buy? I feared it was just a crap port. If it's decent, I can see it being the absolute best mindfuck-fun roller coaster shooter ever >.>

*please convince me to buy this game that exists, as opposed to Star Citizen by Crobbles*

It's actually a really nice port on PC and the entire game is in VR and on-rails which is pretty cool and do-able and it's pretty loving D O P E.

And then they made a singular just for VR mode that is fantastic and blows it out of the water and it was like 20$ and is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QGWA7fM1SY

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is the new $400 jpeg another stealthy, punches above its weight, space superiority fighter that obsoletes all the ones before it or is it designed for a game mechanic that probably won't ever make it into the game?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

big nipples big life posted:

Is the new $400 jpeg another stealthy, punches above its weight, space superiority fighter that obsoletes all the ones before it or is it designed for a game mechanic that probably won't ever make it into the game?

Only the $435 variant punches above its weight, the $400 ship merely punches its exact weight.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Corn Nuts posted:

This took me way longer than I expected

:sandance:

:five::five::five::five::five:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

big nipples big life posted:

Yes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

$450 to match the number of days since a significant game update

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

vyst posted:

:eyepop:

drat

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

MilesK posted:

Here is Star Citizen's technical director rendered in-game somewhere around December 2014.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/2wyjjx/sean_tracy_engine_technical_director_at_cig_looks/

http://i.imgur.com/zcf34mK.mp4

The current state of face technology (which took thousands of hours of work)

:thunk:

In as Shadow Acne in the case.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

goddam

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Teabagged by TheAgent: A Beet Wagon Story
by the way teabagging you caused my entire screen to spaz out to the point where I constantly put my assault rifle through my own spine to fire at people

the stimpire is alive and well

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/898629381400084481

:toot:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I leave to schedule another MRI and miss Derek melting down in real time

what a world

Amidst the turmoil and inevitable backlash against ourselves, I hope everything is ok!

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Chris fell off a yacht and broke his wrists. We're pushing back the totally amazing Gamescom thing.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen : Derek smart is a lecher,full story on page 3.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

He must've been playing 3.0.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Amidst the turmoil and inevitable backlash against ourselves, I hope everything is ok!
it's all good, looks like a .8cm benign glomous tumor on my right hand, directly under the nailbed

have to go into surgery for it because its like being tortured in a motherfucking ninja movie whenever I use it for anything

especially playing star marine

DuckDynasty
Sep 23, 2015
Ping pong catte

https://goo.gl/images/f3uH9x

DuckDynasty fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 19, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DuckDynasty posted:

Serious post...

GORF (great poster) hit the nail on the head earlier. Derek hasn't met a hill, or coke machine, that he isn't willing to die on. It's part of his "charm" but it has also served to put him in the role of "boogeyman", alongside goons, for all citizens.

This gives them an outlet for all their doubt/angst/frustration/anger so that CIG and "future, past and present Chris" as GORF so eloquently put it, escape their deserved critical attention. I mean think about it... If some of these citizens put half the effort that they put into Derek into thinking critically about Chris and the project they'd have to confront some obvious truths.

This is where I may diverge from some in this thread. I view backers as victims through and through. They are in the midst of having what I believe is a massive fraud perpetrated on them. Each person reading this needs to decide if they feel that backers are victims or not. Victims deserve our support and empathy, not scorn and derision.

Derek has strong opinions but unclear objectives. In his all out warlording he has actually (IMHO) managed to lessen the amount of critical attention being paid to CIG by backers. He has also cost people their jobs, privacy, and money in the process of being a somewhat reckless warlord. That's ok, it's part of his "charm" but as long as we are discussing having a "signal booster" we should think about what signal we want boosted. Is it one of animosity and ridicule or one of earnest care and compassion?

I know were just supposed to poo poo post and laugh but there are hundreds of thousands of people who are (in my opinion) being defrauded, a warlord warlording with great collateral damage, and a charlatan desperately trying to make a game with an "ends justify the means" mentality. I for one don't want to just be on the "winning" (hindsight correct) side, I want to be on the "right" (morally/ethically) side.

Sorry to serious post... also AAA game dev, AMA.
the dude who shot me a couple of times was really awesome at it, the best ever, he was the best shooter at shooting things I've ever seen. in fact, it's so awesome, he could shoot me again. go ahead! it's beauty in motion. I love it. I love him, now that I think about it. I've never been shot before but this was the most realistic shooting I've ever experienced. I'd buy his bullets for him, how much do bullets cost? $400? sure! that sounds about right. bullets should cost that much for a gunman so handy with his firearm. it's the best thing, being shot by this man. I loving love it

all of these people deserve everything they get from crobbers. they can play in the PU the same as any of us. if that's what they want to sink $40,000 into, let them and let's loving laugh

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
earnest care and compassion

lol

if we really cared about these people we'd never let them play another round of star marine

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sometimes people can go too far to stalk other people. I don't mind if you do it, but it's slightly creepy to bring into the thread and I don't think offers anything that could possibly end well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I realize I am comparing the current state of star citizen with being shot

I should apologize, playing star citizen, in any form, is much worse than being shot

thanks for letting me clarify

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So uhh did he go blind again... or?

I can only imagine it had nothing to do with his dieting decisions but a streak of bad luck (just like the sepsis), and only the power of Crobberts could give him sight once again?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

it's all good, looks like a .8cm benign glomous tumor on my right hand, directly under the nailbed

have to go into surgery for it because its like being tortured in a motherfucking ninja movie whenever I use it for anything

especially playing star marine

Sounds painful. I hope you will have it taken care of and find good health! :)

DuckDynasty
Sep 23, 2015
Ping pong catte is best catte

https://goo.gl/images/f3uH9x

DuckDynasty fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 19, 2017

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
Anyone else hyped for the $400 ship coming out? I think its great value

https://i.imgur.com/s2MrRie.mp4

NoMas fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 19, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DuckDynasty posted:

Yet you still have an account and played earlier. If you believed what you espouse then you wouldn't be actively participating.

There often isn't much "signal" in your posting and these last two are a decent example of that. If you have sources at all you'd be doing a them a solid by not posting so recklessly. If you don't, continue.
shut up derek

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DuckDynasty posted:

This gives them an outlet for all their doubt/angst/frustration/anger so that CIG and "future, past and present Chris" as GORF so eloquently put it, escape their deserved critical attention. I mean think about it... If some of these citizens put half the effort that they put into Derek into thinking critically about Chris and the project they'd have to confront some obvious truths.

This is where I may diverge from some in this thread. I view backers as victims through and through. They are in the midst of having what I believe is a massive fraud perpetrated on them. Each person reading this needs to decide if they feel that backers are victims or not. Victims deserve our support and empathy, not scorn and derision.

The Citizens that we make the most fun of are in a funny position. Because they are simultaneously victims of a scam AND perpetrators of it. As a hobby, they donate surprising sums of money to a flaming dumpster, and then attack people who point out there is a fire, while explaining to anyone who will listen that dumpsters have always been a great place to put your time and savings. I feel bad for them but I also feel mad at them, and so bemused laughter is the result.

Really, as Star Citizen goes, it's a relatively harmless scam full of big personalities and high drama with pretty low stakes. I come hang out in this strange thread as a kind of vacation from a world full of much more dangerous liars with much more awful dreams.

When I get most uncomfortable is when I hear about the people who are in for $x0,000. I sincerely hope that all of those people are strangely rich and that amounts of money which exceed my annual income are a pittance to them. I'd hate to think that people were destroying their lives over pretend pretend spaceships.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DuckDynasty posted:

Serious post...

GORF (great poster) hit the nail on the head earlier. Derek hasn't met a hill, or coke machine, that he isn't willing to die on. It's part of his "charm" but it has also served to put him in the role of "boogeyman", alongside goons, for all citizens.

Derek has strong opinions but unclear objectives. In his all out warlording he has actually (IMHO) managed to lessen the amount of critical attention being paid to CIG by backers. He has also cost people their jobs, privacy, and money in the process of being a somewhat reckless warlord. That's ok, it's part of his "charm" but as long as we are discussing having a "signal booster" we should think about what signal we want boosted. Is it one of animosity and ridicule or one of earnest care and compassion?

I know were just supposed to poo poo post and laugh but there are hundreds of thousands of people who are (in my opinion) being defrauded, a warlord warlording with great collateral damage, and a charlatan desperately trying to make a game with an "ends justify the means" mentality. I for one don't want to just be on the "winning" (hindsight correct) side, I want to be on the "right" (morally/ethically) side.

Sorry to serious post... also AAA game dev, AMA.

The problem with Derek is that he does great and plays along and is really chummy and seems to not be being old usenet Derek. But then something happens.

It could be some random post. Some errant comment. Some misjudged angle that just happens to rub him the wrong way.

The bristles come out. Then people go bonkers and the fangs come out. The vicious attitude people have always associated him with once more is on full display. Usually people who were supporting him go "Uh... whoa, calm it down.." but can't, and others scream "see I told you so, he always does this!" And ultimately what ends up happening is that for every inch of goodwill he's built up, he breaks down.

Sometimes it ends in a ban, sometimes he can calm down on his own, but you never know which thing will blow up the bomb. Will you be the one who accidentally pulled the Jenga piece that caused the uproar? Will people hate you for getting Derek upset, or will people go after him?

I don't think I've ever seen an Internet personality with so much... force? Behind him. I just hope that we can stop eating our own again, and move on and continue to monitor Star Citizen and other train wrecks. We nearly made it to GamesCom or whatever it is. Have patience!

Also I feel that unless a backer is conned in by a friend from some sort of referral process unaware, I don't think backers quite deserve the concept of being "innocent chumps in need of rescue."

That time passed around November of last year. At this point they pretty much deserve everything CR dishes out to them. There will still be smart ones, but I think we've reached peak "scam realization" by the general public.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Derek likes chumming the waters. We all know what happens when Goons smell blood in the water.

Does Derek drop meltdowns in this thread because he can't help himself, or is it on purpose? Maybe a little bit of both?

Derek's been trolling for 20+ years, we can never know his mind. We can only study his craft.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Rudager posted:

Just listened to some guy on that talk about how he's going through checking every gun/attachment to make sure it's all highlighted when you mouse over a gun in the shop.

What a loving waste of time for an "alpha", that sounds like something you'd do way down the line in the polishing phase.

Then again, MVP release?

Yeah he was saying the highlight was sometimes highlighting just the weapon and not also the attachments to it and he was going through and checking them all. The first thing I thought was that this should be a central coding fix that either works or doesn't and not some thing to be checked on an item by item basis.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

XK posted:

Lando is so uncomfortable with all this that he's putting on a fakey show persona? Why else would you write anything like that except that you're trying to distance yourself from what is happening?

Dude is literally mentally disassociating.

Joking or making light of a situation when you are uncomfortable is a very normal thing people do. He is just extremely embarrassed to be the head guy who has to beg for money, while also holding privileged information about how badly things are going behind the scenes. There isn't anything more to it.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

King of Cheeses posted:

Yeah he was saying the highlight was sometimes highlighting just the weapon and not also the attachments to it and he was going through and checking them all. The first thing I thought was that this should be a central coding fix that either works or doesn't and not some thing to be checked on an item by item basis.

This is what developers do when they don't actually want to be working at the moment. It sounds good when you explain it to upper management if they ask and the other developers that know better are too busy to give a crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Tokamak posted:

Joking or making light of a situation when you are uncomfortable is a very normal thing people do. He is just extremely embarrassed to be the head guy who has to beg for money, while also holding privileged information about how badly things are going behind the scenes. There isn't anything more to it.

That might be how someone with a guilty conscience behaves, but I don't think that necessarily describes Lando. If he really felt compunction over anything, he wouldn't let his dad continue to be a citizen, let alone bring him on streams and such.