Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Season 3 of Veronica Mars also had a Stanford Prison Experiment episode where college kids torture each other. :psyduck:

I think they must have been flailing in ratings and tried to be really edgy in season three. It feels a lot different than the previous two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Guy Mann posted:

On a lighter note, season 3 had an overarching plotline about a campus rapist that was at one point going to be played by Michael Cera and he even appears in the premiere as a tour guide before scheduling conflicts made him give up the role. Even back then the cute little nerdy kid from Arrested Development playing a rapist is pretty :wtc:, I can't imagine how differently his career could have gone if he had taken that role.
Not to mention one of the victims was Alia Shawkat.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Veronica Mars and school shooting episodes, one episode that was really pleasantly surprising was in season 1 when she's investigating a bomb threat and suspects a fat goonlord at her school because he's awkward and really into weapons but it turns out he's just a hardmless nerd who likes video games and Kurosawa movies.

There was an episode of the (criminally overlooked) detective show Terriers that was chilling at the time but is now somewhat laughable thanks to The Cuck Meme ruining the central twist of them being hired to investigate a wife's infidelity by her husband only for it to turn out that he's a psychopath with a cuckolding fetish who gets dangerous when he finds out that she isn't cheating on him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

On a lighter note, season 3 had an overarching plotline about a campus rapist that was at one point going to be played by Michael Cera and he even appears in the premiere as a tour guide before scheduling conflicts made him give up the role. Even back then the cute little nerdy kid from Arrested Development playing a rapist is pretty :wtc:, I can't imagine how differently his career could have gone if he had taken that role.

Well, if you really want to play "what if?" with Michael Cera's career he actually auditioned for The Sixth Sense back in the day. That would have certainly propelled his career in a different direction.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Veronica Mars also had a good transgender episode that was ahead of its time.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
One that I feel has aged particularly well was A Nero Wolf Mystery. Mostly that's due to the original stories being quite entertaining and the shows fairly rigid adherence to Rex Stouts books anencephaly short stories. Another part is the show almost never had any guest stars, instead it used an ensemble cast that played a new character every week. The consistent characters were always played by the same actors, but a murder victim in one episode will be the murderer in the next.

Some do age poorly but those are the ones set in the early 60s without nearly as much work put into the sets and locations as he 40s and 50s episodes.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Corrode posted:

That's the same one. She thinks Jonathan is going to shoot up the school, but actually what she heard was the dinner lady planning to poison everyone.

I'll be damned, that's right. It's been a long time since I watched Buffy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leavemywife posted:

I'll be damned, that's right. It's been a long time since I watched Buffy.

"You had sex with Giles? You had sex with Giles! On the top of a police car?! TWICE?!"

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The early X-Files had some bad moments.

The one episode with the face on Mars. Higher res photos today make the whole thing completely silly.
Plus to add insult to injury what was meant to be cheap to make blew out on budget for the set build of the NASA centre.

Another had someone going postal in a clock tower after seeing messages in microwaves and ATMs telling him to kill.

And early online dating was explored with a serial killer. Complete with suspense scene
as a fax machine slowly sends an identity photo as the killer approaches.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

funmanguy posted:

One that I feel has aged particularly well was A Nero Wolf Mystery. Mostly that's due to the original stories being quite entertaining and the shows fairly rigid adherence to Rex Stouts books anencephaly short stories. Another part is the show almost never had any guest stars, instead it used an ensemble cast that played a new character every week. The consistent characters were always played by the same actors, but a murder victim in one episode will be the murderer in the next.

Some do age poorly but those are the ones set in the early 60s without nearly as much work put into the sets and locations as he 40s and 50s episodes.

It's a pity that they never got to the Zeck trilogy.

Maury Chaykin as Wolfe was Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes level casting. I have no idea who you could cast if you tried to reboot Nero Wolfe today.

Could you imagine, say, the CW doing a Nero Wolfe show? Wolfe would be played by Ian Somerhalder and always talk about how he used to be fat.

Also, Kari Matchett looked fantastic in that show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WebDog posted:

The one episode with the face on Mars. Higher res photos today make the whole thing completely silly.
Plus to add insult to injury what was meant to be cheap to make blew out on budget for the set build of the NASA centre.

Another had someone going postal in a clock tower after seeing messages in microwaves and ATMs telling him to kill.

And early online dating was explored with a serial killer. Complete with suspense scene

I dunno, those all sound pretty funny. But I've always found that particularly creative conspiracy theories and schizophrenic rantings make for great story ideas.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

WebDog posted:

Something I've been curious about Re: X-files was how it affected the "Men in Black"/government/Area 51 conspiracy theories subculture. I'm assuming X-files didn't start the whole craziness (I'm guessing that was Roswell), but did it fuel it or was it dismissed completely by the nutjobs?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

Because only ugly hulking jocks rape people, okay.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

sassassin posted:

Because only ugly hulking jocks rape people, okay.
That's not the point he's making, it's just counter to Michael Cera's image.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Foxhound posted:

Something I've been curious about Re: X-files was how it affected the "Men in Black"/government/Area 51 conspiracy theories subculture. I'm assuming X-files didn't start the whole craziness (I'm guessing that was Roswell), but did it fuel it or was it dismissed completely by the nutjobs?

I think a lot of conspiracy theory lovers really liked X-Files because it was the first mainstream + popular show to explore some of those ideas that might have only been explored on dark usenet groups.

Also it was a drat good show, and probably turned a lot of people onto conspiracies and weird stuff. I'll go with "what is fueling it" for $200

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's not the point he's making, it's just counter to Michael Cera's image.

Michael Cera's image is pretty much huge creep so

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a pity that they never got to the Zeck trilogy.

Maury Chaykin as Wolfe was Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes level casting. I have no idea who you could cast if you tried to reboot Nero Wolfe today.

Could you imagine, say, the CW doing a Nero Wolfe show? Wolfe would be played by Ian Somerhalder and always talk about how he used to be fat.

Also, Kari Matchett looked fantastic in that show.

Hutton rocked as Archie too. Really, half the show was just watching them two gently caress around.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lichtenstein posted:

Hutton rocked as Archie too. Really, half the show was just watching them two gently caress around.

Oh, yeah, Hutton's a lot of fun in it - I believe he was a pretty big driving force behind the scenes as well; produced and directed some episodes and generally made sure the programme stuck to the spirit of the novels.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

WebDog posted:

The X-Files season 1 episode "Darkness Falls" has 30 loggers missing in a forest in Washington State, with ecoterrorists suspected. The only response is the deployment of two FBI agents and one local park ranger.

As a Seattle-area resident, this struck me as bizarre that 30 missing people would merit such a tiny response. Even the disappearance of one hiker is a significant news event, and having environments suspected of slaughtering dozens of men would be a huge event, and everyone's primary concern wouldn't be getting the lumber moving again.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Last Chance posted:

I think a lot of conspiracy theory lovers really liked X-Files because it was the first mainstream + popular show to explore some of those ideas that might have only been explored on dark usenet groups.

Also it was a drat good show, and probably turned a lot of people onto conspiracies and weird stuff. I'll go with "what is fueling it" for $200

Same here. The '90s were a good time for all of these weird theories to come into the limelight and the popularity of the show really helped.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The X-Files season 1 episode "Darkness Falls" has 30 loggers missing in a forest in Washington State, with ecoterrorists suspected. The only response is the deployment of two FBI agents and one local park ranger.

As a Seattle-area resident, this struck me as bizarre that 30 missing people would merit such a tiny response. Even the disappearance of one hiker is a significant news event, and having environments suspected of slaughtering dozens of men would be a huge event, and everyone's primary concern wouldn't be getting the lumber moving again.

It would have been funny if the show began after the initial investigation because since the things doing it are lightning bugs pacified by light that any real investigation with huge gently caress-off lights would have kept the bugs dormant, meaning nothing would be found initially until Mulder and Scully showed up. That would have been a nice twist. Also, I spoiler-tagged that because everybody should check out that episode, it is quite neat.

I think the X-Files can age well if you take the time the show aired into account. There are some episodes that simply don't (the VR one) but a lot of them really do still pack a nice punch. You just need a bigger suspension of disbelief than usual.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I think the X-Files can age well if you take the time the show aired into account. There are some episodes that simply don't (the VR one) but a lot of them really do still pack a nice punch. You just need a bigger suspension of disbelief than usual.

There's actually one episode ('Home') that talks about this in a meta sort of way - characters in the story talk about how their once quiet home is changing, growing closer to the cities, if not physically then at least culturally. It's hard for what's going on in the story to happen again, as time and technology advances and everything becomes so much more interconnected than before.

It's also a loving great episode, super creepy. Beautifully shot, too.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Coucho Marx posted:

There's actually one episode ('Home') that talks about this in a meta sort of way - characters in the story talk about how their once quiet home is changing, growing closer to the cities, if not physically then at least culturally. It's hard for what's going on in the story to happen again, as time and technology advances and everything becomes so much more interconnected than before.

If that's the one I think it is, it's one of the few that has no supernatural or sci-fi elements, and could feasibly happen in the "Real World."

And yes, super creepy, all the more so BECAUSE it could actually happen.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Coucho Marx posted:

That's the first episode that had the THIS poo poo IS DISTURBING YOU MAY NOT WANT TO SEE IT warning before it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

The Bloop posted:

That's the first episode that had the THIS poo poo IS DISTURBING YOU MAY NOT WANT TO SEE IT warning before it.

They weren't kidding, either.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

It changed the way city destruction was portrayed even in movies that still did it, too. Man of Steel and Godzilla '14 focus on the rubble and the dust a lot more than the 'clean' destruction you used to see.

The space shuttle Columbia disaster changed how spaceships look when crashing into the atmosphere. Just off the stop of my head, Gravity and one of the Star Trek reboots had the same 'little pieces like comets' instead of the single ball of flame they used to make.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"You had sex with Giles? You had sex with Giles! On the top of a police car?! TWICE?!"

"We can work out after school, you know, if you're not too busy having sex with my mother!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

DrBouvenstein posted:

If that's the one I think it is, it's one of the few that has no supernatural or sci-fi elements, and could feasibly happen in the "Real World."

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, even for that show. Fox actually refused to re-air it for several years due to all the complaints they got about the content. Also, for like the next year, Chris Carter tried to recapture the tone poorly on Millennium.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Coucho Marx posted:

I was just thinking about this episode recently. I feel like it started the trend of expecting horrible things to happen as soon as you hear mellow '50s music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvzNeh4Mq1o

Alhazred posted:

"We can work out after school, you know, if you're not too busy having sex with my mother!"

Owned.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, the way it works in the show is a little far-fetched, but the general conceit of a heavily diminished inbred family experiencing issues of profound congenital defects in newborns is plausible enough. A whole family of Charles II of Spain, basically.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was just thinking about this episode recently. I feel like it started the trend of expecting horrible things to happen as soon as you hear mellow '50s music.

I get the same feeling whenever I hear Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. I guess it was Zodiac that did it for me.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
watching the sopranos.

Some of the stuff does not hold up. Knight in White Satin Armor (where Janice shoots Richie) especially. The calling card scam is something that kids that watch it are just not going to understand. It was in that weird time between payphones and cell phones. Also, hijacking a truck full of pokemon cards.

Nancy Marchand's ghost was really good at the beginning, until you realize it's the same three animations looped, and some of the voice clips are obviously edited. But in the still shots, and the first time you see the animation loop, it's actually not that bad for the time, but feels dated now with how far CGI has come in the last 15 years.

Dr Jankenstein has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Aug 19, 2017

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Hahah ohhh yeah! The first time I saw it I was impressed until we saw her a second time.
-Tony says something random-
-completely unwarranted- I WISH THE LORD WOULD TAKE ME

I hate to say it but as much as I love Game of Thrones, anything heavy with CG isn't going to age well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Mann posted:

Unless it's a superhero movie or Transformers, in which case grim recreations of 9/11 are par for the course.

Also Spielberg's War of the Worlds was only 4 years after 9/11. Not a great movie but some really effective scenes.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh yeah part of the fun of the early X-files before the mythology went up it's own arse was the fact it loved to take every bit of pseudo-science from the 60's and 70's and run wild with it.
I used to read the Usborne paranormal/supernatural books and most of the stuff there filtered into some aspect of the early shows. I recognised the hand in the opening credits as being from Kirlian photography.

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I hate to say it but as much as I love Game of Thrones, anything heavy with CG isn't going to age well.
Oooh yeah. Wish there was a compilation of bad early CG; Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, Xena, Hercules, Sinbad, Babylon 5.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Mu Zeta posted:

Also Spielberg's War of the Worlds was only 4 years after 9/11. Not a great movie but some really effective scenes.

That film could have really done with pretty much anyone but cruise in the lead role, and an ending that wasn't the inevitable 9/11 based hoorah stuff.

I would love to see a fullbore attempt at recreating the original book version, it's a fantastic read

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DesperateDan posted:

That film could have really done with pretty much anyone but cruise in the lead role, and an ending that wasn't the inevitable 9/11 based hoorah stuff.

I would love to see a fullbore attempt at recreating the original book version, it's a fantastic read

The best adaptation of War of the Worlds is the Jeff Wayne one. After Welles, of course.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I remember as they drove away from the destruction, the little girl in the backseat crying, "Is it the terrorists?" and that really got to me. The idea that 'the terrorists' were the boogeymen for little kids now. The movie isn't great but yeah, it has its moments.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

DesperateDan posted:

Yeah, TWotW just feels so... modern? The pacing and characters and elements of action and horror don't read like something I'd expect from the late 19th century.

I think it would be hard to do a new adaption not set in present day America. as the core premise of the story is humanity's greatest ever superpower being hopelessly outmatched by an alien force.
I'd be interested in a Victorian England version for sure, but if the aliens took casualties from pre-WW1 artillery and battleships it would probably diminish their threat to a modern audience.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WebDog posted:

Oooh yeah. Wish there was a compilation of bad early CG; Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future, Xena, Hercules, Sinbad, Babylon 5.

Don't forget old live-action PC game cutscenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Yeah, TWotW just feels so... modern? The pacing and characters and elements of action and horror don't read like something I'd expect from the late 19th century.

I think it would be hard to do a new adaption not set in present day America. as the core premise of the story is humanity's greatest ever superpower being hopelessly outmatched by an alien force.
I'd be interested in a Victorian England version for sure, but if the aliens took casualties from pre-WW1 artillery and battleships it would probably diminish their threat to a modern audience.

You could do a Cold War version like the Iron Giant, but then you're just doing the Iron Giant with less :3:.