Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

I got to see the Progressive Liberal tonight!

He's...not very good.

I'm a big CWF Mid-Atlantic fan, and I saw Chet Sterling and Aric Royal were in a tag team. Chet is face and Aric is heel in CWF, is Aric a babyface in NOVA or what? How was their match with the Ugly Ducklings?

Honestly I'm very interested in a rundown of the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I probably can't give a good rundown just because I'm not great at that. That tag match both teams seemed to be working as some sort of tweener. I'm not sure I would say there was a clear heel or babyface. It was a pretty fun match though. One of the better ones, for sure. Let's see what I can remember:

There was some sort of tag match going on, but we got there late and only really caught the end.

Brittany Blake fought Allie Kat in a decent match. The crowd seemed mixed on who to cheer for. Blake won with a WWE-patented rollup when Kat was arguing with the ref who pulled out a laser pointer and distracted her.

Fred Yehi vs Tim Donst was a fun match, though it took awhile to get going as they did some comedy bits at the start. Donst offered Yehi one of his kneepads for safety. Yehi accepted it after getting dropped on a knee and getting hurt. He then went to do something off the ropes and they were too loose (the ring crew loosened them before the match), so they stopped and tightened the ropes with lots of "SAFETY FIRST" chants going on.

Innocent Isaiah and Faye Jackson vs. Veda Scott and Chuck Taylor TM was okay, Isaiah and Jackson were the faces and Scott and Taylor were the heels. Taylor sang a song before the match. It involved lots of mixed-gender action (since Isaiah is a tiny guy and Jackson is a large woman), and heels won, I believe.

Dan Richards the Progressive Liberal vs. Money Greene had clear alignments and Richards won in a short, not great match. Money Greene seems fun.

6-man tag between The Carnies and The 1%. The Carnies were supposed to be the babyfaces here, but the 1% were getting a lot of support (including an entire section that had light up foam fingers). It dragged and the kind of small ring made it all seem like it was constantly full. There was some weird spot where the Carnies made one of the 1% do a Canadian destroyer off the turnbuckle on another one? It wasn't clear and didn't make a whole lot of sense. The Carnies won with a tombstone piledriver and the Undertaker pin. This dragged a bit longer than seemed necessary.

Keith Lee fought Angelus Layne in a no-DQ match. The stipulation was barely relevant, though, as the most that happened was Layne using a chair on Lee a few times. His big slaps on her chest were crazy, and it was about as good a match as I would have expected. Lee eventually won, and showed Layne respect for fighting hard.

Overall, it was a fun show, and I'll totally go again, but it was longer than I thought it would be. They had a pre-show match at like 7:45, we got there around 8:15 (official start was 8), and it went until almost 11. I think MCW puts on a better product overall, but this is closer, and live wrestling is always fun.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nova Pro Wrestling - Cool for the Summer - 8/18/2017
https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=182061

It was the first sell out crowd in Nova Pro history, which is pretty great. The Annandale VFD Bingo Hall does have a lower capacity than the JCC, but it was very packed and the crowd was fairly hot. This was an angle-light show with good wrestling up and down the card and a lot of comedy.

The video camera crew got stuck in traffic on 495 so the very early matches on the card were on Periscope:
https://twitter.com/VAWrestling/status/898692966751096832
Near the end of that clip you can see the Indy Geek Six Man Scramble, where one of the indy geeks does a One Winged Angel in a six minute match on the preliminary card. It was otherwise a solid match with a lot of cool dives.

Allie Kat vs. Brittany Blake was good, Allie Kat got booked back after her great showing on that tryout card a few months ago.

Crowd enjoyed Veda Scott and Chuck Taylor vs. Faye Jackson and Innocent Isaiah, Stokely was way over with his singing gimmick and they got a lot out of it. Beau Crockett attacked Isaiah, who challenge Beau to a Last Man Standing match at next month's show. The Cutie and the Beast feud must continue.

John Kermon vs. Chip Day was okay, not a lot of heat for it and Chip did not seem that comfortable working Kermon's MMA style.

Tim Donst vs. Fred Yehi was strong. Donst has gotten over a "safety first" gimmick in this promotion after having to stop to tie his shoe during a match a few shows back. Yehi participated in it early when he noticed the middle rope was loose and they stopped the match to tighten the anchors and the crowd loved it. Eventually they started doing a match it was good.

Royal/Sterling vs. the Ugly Ducklings was great and the crowd once again gave a standing ovation for a Ducklings match. I thought it was slightly weaker than last month's Ducklings vs. Gymnasty Boys match, mostly because Royal can't bump the way White Mike and Timmy Lou were bumping for the Ducklings. But it was still very entertaining and Arik Royal had so much fun that he got on the mic and said he wanted to do the match again. To Sub Rosa's question, Royal and Sterling are both faces here. Royal had an "undefeated in Nova Pro" gimmick going for like the first 18 months of the promotion until he finally lost to Logan Easton Laroux in the Commonwealth Cup. That included defeating like Chris Hero, Fred Yehi, and David Starr, so he got over in that time.

The Progressive Liberal vs. Money Greene was exactly what you expected. PL is a lower level indy guy in terms of wrestling experience, he's just got the gimmick. Money Greene is an incredible talker with the rich guy gimmick and he's also a guy that seems like he started training when older because he loved wrestling, so he was never trying to be a tremendous worker. He knows his level. He is actually relatively over with the crowd here because of his "cheat to eat" catchphrase and he had to cut a pro-Trump promo to get a little more heat on him than usual. Dan Richards has funny gear and he knew that this is the liberal part of the country so he was a face and they played the roles well and had a sub-par wrestling match. I heard a couple people talking pre-show near me that were explaining that they came to their first Nova Pro show last night just to see The Progressive Liberal, so he no doubt sold some tickets to the event.

1% vs. Carnies was a good match. Both teams are heels but Carnies are a little less hated than rich people so they played the faces. Everyone in the match was good and they had a good six-man tag.

The main event, Keith Lee vs. Angelus Layne, was tremendous. If you recall from last month, Angelus Layne shot a fireball into the face of the promoter Mike King, and her "reward" was that he called in Keith Lee (for the first time in Nova Pro) to get vengeance on her. Earlier in the show Angelus came out after they sang happy birthday to Papa Hales and tore up a Papa Hales shirt to get heat. Keith came out and offered that she could apologize to the promoter and he wouldn't destroy her, which she refused. Match was then set to be no disqualification. During Keith's entrance she came and whacked him with a chair, and the main "no DQ" part of the match was that a chair was in the ring most of the time to help Angelus equalize against a clearly more powerful Lee. The match was very good, although the crowd was pissing me off. Individual people in the crowd were trying to get themselves over by shouting things and because the venue is small Keith kept hearing them and responding. That hurt it a little. But in it was a great power battle. Keith Lee won but he gave Angelus respect after the match and also vowed to return to Nova Pro.

Next month is The Nova Project 3, which is the second anniversary of the promotion and the start of year 3. If the blow off Beau/Isaiah then they'll need to hopefully jumpstart some new stories, because everything else has been wrapped up now that Angelus has been defeated. Only stuff announced so far is Arik Royal trying to get his revenge on "The Champion of the 1%" Logan Easton Laroux, the Beau/Isaiah Last Man Standing, and the return of Mia Yim. They didn't even announce any big booked names on the show last night. That one is 9/22 at the Jewish Community Center.

Boco_T fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 19, 2017

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Carnies are great. That Canadian Destroyer move is great, when executed properly. Maybe whoever in 1% beefed it?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Nick Iggy yelled "Forced Destroyer!" when they did it so it made sense to me what was happening. It was Bobby Shields and Alexander James taking it. They had reversed the first attempt and it still took too long to set up the successful second try. Eh, it was fine.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Yeah, that's what it's called. The Tombstone variant is the IOU1 Driver.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Boco_T posted:

To Sub Rosa's question, Royal and Sterling are both faces here.

Thanks. That's a little weird to me since it's explicitly in the same universe as CWF. The Chet/Logan feud is continuing in CWF, for example (likely will be the finals of the Weaver Cup tournament). Arik is way better as a heel, tbh, look forward to when they turn him.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/899732063867330561

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh no

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

why

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
incredibly glad that was a gif so I wouldn't have to hear the sickening thud that surely made

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:gonk: NOOOOOOOOOO

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What the gently caress

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

protip: show up to the venue early and lay out some mats. practice that poo poo.

or miss and endlessly amuse me.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I feel really bad at how much I laughed at that.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Tight

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Clearly retaining https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/900176379924402177

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/BAHUFMW/status/900327777861345281

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

TK Cooper is out of BOLA due to injury. Replacement is Joey Janela

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
For people that love all my posts in this thread:

https://twitter.com/PowerbombTV/status/900502552931860480
https://twitter.com/VAWrestling/status/900506620467322880

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
powerbomb.tv sounding increasingly interesting. It's probably time for me to cancel FloSlam: the only WWN I really feel the need to watch are the live EVOLVE shows I go to, and there's basically nothing else worthwhile on the platform.

powerbomb's run a few live shows, right? how's that worked out so far?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwQtY5xm4v0

Rey Mysterio vs Will Ospreay

Jay Lethal vs Zack Sabre Jr

Ricochet vs Angelico

KUSHIDA vs Kenny Williams

Penta El Zero M vs Bad Bones

Joe Coffey vs ...

Mike Bailey vs Travis Banks

Hiromu Takahashi vs Lucky Kid

Plus... War Machine & Marty Scurll vs The Prestige

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Chris James 2 posted:

I've got to give Joey so many props for reinventing himself from nobody CZW jobber to basically a Young Buck.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Bad Boy Joey will win.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

https://twitter.com/NextGenTN/status/900706679997820928

I was already excited for this show because they booked Penta/Fenix and it's only two hours away. Now I'm extra excited.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

also young bucks are off of night 2 or whatever night it was that had SPPT vs the Bucks

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mob posted:

https://twitter.com/NextGenTN/status/900706679997820928

I was already excited for this show because they booked Penta/Fenix and it's only two hours away. Now I'm extra excited.

I went to thier show in June and it was way better than I expected. Had the best Cody Rhodes match I've ever seen actually. I mean it was the only one I ever really liked, so easy bar to clear, but. I'm really happy they book the Lynch Mob which is the best tag team with the worst name, and Shawn Shultz who 15 years ago I thought was the only good wrestler in East TN and I can't believe he never became something big.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/wcpw/status/901066974079438848

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sub Rosa posted:

I went to thier show in June and it was way better than I expected. Had the best Cody Rhodes match I've ever seen actually. I mean it was the only one I ever really liked, so easy bar to clear, but. I'm really happy they book the Lynch Mob which is the best tag team with the worst name, and Shawn Shultz who 15 years ago I thought was the only good wrestler in East TN and I can't believe he never became something big.

Yeah my buddy I'm going with has been to every show of theirs show far(and I tease him about how much he loves Cody), as well as every SUP Graps show. I hope they end up adding Joey Ryan to this show because I've never seen him either.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Mob posted:

Yeah my buddy I'm going with has been to every show of theirs show far(and I tease him about how much he loves Cody), as well as every SUP Graps show. I hope they end up adding Joey Ryan to this show because I've never seen him either.

He was on the June show, first time I saw him, and... I mean I don't know why I never thought so before because it's all about his dick getting grabbed, but his whole gimmick came across as way way gayer than I expected. Not helped by many male fans begging to suck his sucker or rub him down with lube.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Sub Rosa posted:

He was on the June show, first time I saw him, and... I mean I don't know why I never thought so before because it's all about his dick getting grabbed, but his whole gimmick came across as way way gayer than I expected. Not helped by many male fans begging to suck his sucker or rub him down with lube.

It's not gay to want to rub Joey down with some oil. Its like spotting someone at the gym. Bros helping Bros

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

My favorite part is when he stops the ref from ringing the opening bell and says "touch my peniiiiiiiiiiiiiiis"

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh cool, Joe Malenko’s putting on another wrestling event at the Tampa JCC, formerly the old armory. No card yet but the last fanfest he put on was fun other than Dusty dying literally that afternoon. I’ve still got my Norman Smiley autographed index card somewhere.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZiO2bGv1GI

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/901862593832394752

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so I'm pretty sure they must have had zsj, riddle and keith slated for the 3 unannounced spots but since evolve added a 10/14 date, they're now only appearing on night 1 and aaw is three guys short lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shane may have been the curt stallion spot come to think of it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

hey that's not ciclope