Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Jason Sextro posted:

when I spend pages laughing at the exact same thing let me know

This logic on Something Awful has weight, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
We are only allowed to laugh at one pompous yet insecure bully per thread here on Something Awful dot com.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Did you smell blood in the water or something. Shut the gently caress up already. Or don't.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Guard Frequency Episode 180 http://guardfrequency.com/180

Interesting bits:
30:40 - Talking about GORF's The 9 voices of the Star Citizen debate
33:50 - Classivies self between "believer" and "evangelist"
34:30 - "believer"
34:50 - I've moved to "skeptic"
35:00 - 4th guy? between "skeptic" and "agnostic"
36:30 - Elite has my attention till SC releases in 5 or 6 years

--feedback section--
42:30 - oh that dudes a skeptic, oh this guy is a believer. Oh this next feedback is an evangelist
45:10 - loosely transcribed feedback from someone named 'proxy thoughts' that I couldn't find posted anywhere.
"I would like to deposit a new item to the list of items on why they are missing goals. Intentional Obfuscation. What I mean by that is a calculated risk weighing how much they will annoy and anger fans over when planned dates fail purely in hopes of keeping people busy enough not to remember all the stuff they've quietly removed from the schedule. Or an even better example, the phenomenon of CIG's continuing erratas 3.0 timeline and everyone bleeding out their dissatisfaction with yet another slide, while not even thinking of the first chapter of Squadron 42 that was promised, and look that's not even on the schedule anymore. It hasn't even been whispered about since they failed to deliver it almost a year ago and yanked it "at the last minute" Which I would expect to mean it was very close to complete.
No matter the case, even if all the dates they put forward were earnest, which I am certain they are not. CIG's and especially Chris Roberts' projected dates are about as reliable as the weather forecast, which puts predictions in solid runnings with the local palm reader. The point is you can bet on one thing, it's all an elaborate ruse to net in your money."

47:50 - 3.0 needs to be stable or the media is gonna rip CIG a new one
50:20 - Derek's tweet. "Where are we gonna put Derek on the wheel?" "For the record, the feedback and conversations I've had with this particular listener have actually been rather pleasant I have to say. Derek, keep listening, thanks for being a fan, I look forward to more rather pleasant interactions and discussions in the future."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lotta skulls posting recently. Are they all the same user?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

I'll buy anyone a skull avatar if they can clean https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV up for use on the https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ google sheet. Meaning remove all the stuff already listed.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

he reads them anyway, which makes it funnier

in fairness he only sees them if they're quoted

:wink:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Tophat buddy dial it back a bit. Your :justpost: needle is buried in the red end of the gauge

lol, only eighty percent?

Right now on this page, I only see 8 posts. The rests are all "Jerk Detected" :grin:

ps: Meanwhile, I'm engaged in a JPEG buying war with some clown who thinks I'm going to quit changing my avatar. I guess we'll be paying Lowtax' mortgage this month. BITCH! BRING IT!!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Virtual Captain posted:

I'll buy anyone a skull avatar if they can clean https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV up for use on the https://starcitizentracker.github.io/ google sheet. Meaning remove all the stuff already listed.

Finished.

https://pastebin.com/epYq886v

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Also, plz don't take away my ponytar.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

LMAO!! OK, that's just mean :grin:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

:eyepop:

I'm glad CIG devs can still laugh at the insane weirdos who literally worship them.

Here's a new one for MoMA

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Meanwhile, I'm engaged in a JPEG buying war with some clown who thinks I'm going to quit changing my avatar.

whats wrong with your avatar?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

his nibs posted:

whats wrong with your avatar?

Nothing actually. I had changed it to the signal booster one yesterday for context. Someone changed it back. I changed it again. They changed it back this morning. And so it goes.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

Meanwhile, I'm engaged in a JPEG buying war with some clown who thinks I'm going to quit changing my avatar.[/b]

Lowtax clicked on a link that read "Webmaster followed this one weird trick to produce unlimited funds. Warlords hate him!"

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Nothing actually. I had changed it to the signal booster one yesterday for context. Someone changed it back. I changed it again. They changed it back this morning. And so it goes.

First world problems eh

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
Not a jerk

:smuggo:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'd really like to see the CIG funding tracker compared to Lowtax's the past three days...

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

The Titanic posted:

The problem with Derek is that he does great and plays along and is really chummy and seems to not be being old usenet Derek. But then something happens.
The bristles come out. Then people go bonkers and the fangs come out. The vicious attitude people have always associated him with once more is on full display. Usually people who were supporting him go "Uh... whoa, calm it down.." but can't, and others scream "see I told you so, he always does this!" And ultimately what ends up happening is that for every inch of goodwill he's built up, he breaks down.

I don't think I've ever seen an Internet personality with so much... force? Behind him. I just hope that we can stop eating our own again, and move on and continue to monitor Star Citizen and other train wrecks. We nearly made it to GamesCom or whatever it is. Have patience!

DuckDynasty posted:

Derek has strong opinions but unclear objectives. In his all out warlording he has actually (IMHO) managed to lessen the amount of critical attention being paid to CIG by backers. He has also cost people their jobs, privacy, and money in the process of being a somewhat reckless warlord. That's ok, it's part of his "charm" but as long as we are discussing having a "signal booster" we should think about what signal we want boosted. Is it one of animosity and ridicule or one of earnest care and compassion?

I know were just supposed to poo poo post and laugh but there are hundreds of thousands of people who are (in my opinion) being defrauded, a warlord warlording with great collateral damage, and a charlatan desperately trying to make a game with an "ends justify the means" mentality. I for one don't want to just be on the "winning" (hindsight correct) side, I want to be on the "right" (morally/ethically) side.

Just like with Game Development, I don't think you all really understand or appreciate what Dr. Smart is trying to accomplish.

I'll keep this simple for you: You cannot have your cake, and eat it, too. You can't have it both ways.

If you want to make lots of enemies: try to change something. And Dr. Smart cannot operate any other way.

Also, just like how Dr. Smart has an uphill battle against CIG and the internet, similar to the battles of Che Guevara and Barack Obama, just note this fact: you can't build a tremendous cake without breaking a few eggs....or heads.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 19, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
The book that comes out of these threads will have a very complicated section/chapter/footnote about the Internet Warlord.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

toanoradian posted:

The book that comes out of these threads will have a very complicated section/chapter/footnote about the Internet Warlord.

They already have...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
In less than a week, a literal total eclipse hits America and a figurative one is feared in Germany, as Star Citizen's chance to shine so brightly for the world faces blockage by the enormous dark mass of unfulfillment fixed stubbornly over the Gamescom stage...

It would seem an opportune moment for skeptics to shine, but what's this? Why, a perfectly timed outbreak of the dancing plague hits DS and SA and it's ON! :) lol.

Virtual Captain posted:

Guard Frequency Episode 180 http://guardfrequency.com/180

Interesting bits:
30:40 - Talking about GORF's The 9 voices of the Star Citizen debate
33:50 - Classivies self between "believer" and "evangelist"
34:30 - "believer"
34:50 - I've moved to "skeptic"
35:00 - 4th guy? between "skeptic" and "agnostic"
36:30 - Elite has my attention till SC releases in 5 or 6 years

Wow -- I missed this, Virtual Captain -- the discussion hoped for previously denied by Relay gets delivered by GF. (I know you tried, Jake - thank you for trying.)

Listening to this, they really seemed to miss or willfully avoid discussing the real framework at first - The 9 Voices of debate. They focused heavily on the "Sincere/Insincere, Doubtful/Hopeful" descriptors of the 3 basic voice groupings - Dark Space, Middle Ground, Hyper Space.

I couldn't tell if they didn't want to start out using the actual labels, perhaps because they seem inflammatory? Or did they not just get the taxonomy? Is the chart less clear than I assume?

Once they got past that, they used the labels pretty frequently. So I guess it wasn't a total loss. (And Derek's brief email at the end -- did they really need a week to decide where he falls? He's already told them, he's the trifecta - Troll, Hater, Heretic. Come on, guys, layups don't get any easier than that!)

G0RF fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Aug 19, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

When you think about it, Derek Smart being taken for a ride is the only thing MoMA ever was right about :v

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
cat taxxe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

G0RF posted:

the discussion hoped for previously denied by Relay gets delivered by GF.

They apparently spoke about the wheel on episode 179 but it got cut due to time. "That was the original idea for discussion before the delay announcement!"

G0RF posted:

Listening to this, they really seemed to miss or willfully avoid discussing the real framework at first - The 9 Voices of debate. They focused heavily on the "Sincere/Insincere, Doubtful/Hopeful" descriptors of the 3 basic voice groupings - Dark Space, Middle Ground, Hyper Space.

I detected the same avoidance. But it is hard to describe in an audio only setting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

3.0's arena commander update trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHQ77BZDZg

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

basically sums up that entire effortpost I made :v:

It does, doesn't it? I really enjoyed your posts though.

I'm sure they'll figure out how to mangle the engine into something they'll be able to release and maintain for another decade, after all it's Chris Roberts we're talking about

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

It's pretty loving remarkable that out of the thousands and thousands of hours of video CIG have made about their SPACESHIP GAME not a single piece of it was as cool looking or exciting as a dumpy trailer for Battlefront II(2)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's pretty loving remarkable that out of the thousands and thousands of hours of video CIG have made about their SPACESHIP GAME not a single piece of it was as cool looking or exciting as a dumpy trailer for Battlefront II(2)

early days etc

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tank Boy Ken posted:

People with Autism/Asperger are know to be emotionally as well developed as young children. So they're forever young!

No we aren't you idiot

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Toblakai posted:

Dude, this sounds like you are talking about 5 year old kid.

Or the commander in chief. The internet is the great leveller, knocking everything down to the level of stupid.

Relax your mind, turn off and flow downstream. It is just posting.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Lotta skulls posting recently. Are they all the same user?

gently caress, wrong account again.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=boosting

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

Zealot logic posted:

"More arcadey shallow BULLSHIT from the wallet-rapists at EA aimed right at the console peasants. Forgive me if I'm unimpressed, I'll wait for the TRUE spiritual descendent of Star Wars gaming, the one that cuts no corners, makes no compromises, takes its time to get it right and oh, STARS MARK HAMILL bitches!"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Please tell me that's an actual quote

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
If you guys have an itch for late 90's space games, X-Wing Alliance (a game from 1999), just got a massive update from the XWAUP team and Darksaber.

http://www.xwaupgrade.com

http://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

G0RF posted:

quote:

"More arcadey shallow BULLSHIT from the wallet-rapists at EA aimed right at the console peasants. Forgive me if I'm unimpressed, I'll wait for the TRUE spiritual descendent of Star Wars gaming, the one that cuts no corners, makes no compromises, takes its time to get it right and oh, STARS MARK HAMILL bitches!"

PAH! I REFUSE TO PAY $20 FOR A FEW ADDONS FOR A GAME THA.... Ooooh, a $450 ship that punches above it's weight... :shepspends:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
http://itsalmo.st/#ele

hosed up the date

his nibs fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 19, 2017

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Warhawk109 posted:

If you guys have an itch for late 90's space games, X-Wing Alliance (a game from 1999), just got a massive update from the XWAUP team and Darksaber.

http://www.xwaupgrade.com

http://darksaber.xwaupgrade.com

Wtf is this stupid poo poo with twenty-five goddamn parts to download is this the loving middle ages my man

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Tophat can you make another 30 posts about how hard you're laughing? That would be really funny and force me to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ayn Marx posted:

When you think about it, Derek Smart being taken for a ride is the only thing MoMA ever was right about :v

Derek Smart : "I want off MoMa's mild ride!"