Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm betting the park is so expensive that most people only ever go once or twice in their lives. They just wouldn't know about whatever quests they are missing out on. Though it must suck if you get into the middle of something good and then some guy shows up and says "Time's up."

I think they mention ending the big loops with a huge world event, so odds are your narrative would swerve to end in a shootout instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Collateral posted:

The point being that Delores is a star attraction, something that punters (like the guy who owns the park) come back to enjoy. Do they have a queuing system? What happens if MiB is due to ride that attraction and the guy before him got a bit rough and killed her or decided to take her with them across the river? Tell the MiB to experience something else? There is no reason for them not to have multiple Delores models. One going on the big discovery journey, one in the town dropping her can, another finding her dad dead etc.

Uh. Well, you gotta reserve your Fastpass for Dolores in advance to make sure you get to ride.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

One Delores for maximum immersion.

Because current management keeps standing in the way of the whoreoboros.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, also remember that Dolores isn't like a main attraction or something. She's only special to the viewer but to 99% of the guests in the park she is just one of many.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 3, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Yeah, also remember that Dolores isn't like a main attraction or something. She's only special to the viewer but to 99% of the guests in the park she is just one of many.

Yeah. She's special to Ford and Arnold and William and the Man In Black, and since they're important human characters with an attachment to her...

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Why did MiB need to exsanguinate Kissy before scalping him? That seemed unnecessarily cruel even for that rear end in a top hat.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Why did MiB need to exsanguinate Kissy before scalping him? That seemed unnecessarily cruel even for that rear end in a top hat.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

packetmantis posted:

Kissy was supposed to have a much larger role after the pilot, but then his actor died :(

Something that William/MiB understands is how the park actually functions. One thing he seems to observe is the way newcomers are always around hosts. If a newcomer kills all the hosts around him, the closest hosts around will rally towards the player. I think this is to make sure the narrative keeps flowing and for the safety of the guest. A host present will have Good Samaritan programming to stop the guests from harming themselves.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Aug 6, 2017

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Doggles posted:

Have you figured out how the guns work yet? :can:

Low velocity wax bullets that'll sting a bit but not do any real damage? The hosts will have either very fragile skin and tissue, or be rigged with squibs so they explode with appropriate gore.

I kind of like that they never explain the guns - adds to the woozy uncertainty about what is/isn't real.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Low velocity wax bullets that'll sting a bit but not do any real damage? The hosts will have either very fragile skin and tissue, or be rigged with squibs so they explode with appropriate gore.

I kind of like that they never explain the guns - adds to the woozy uncertainty about what is/isn't real.

One of the bigger plot points in the early half is that QA forgot to remove a bullet from inside maeve

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

News has it that the HBO hacker who leaked the GoT stuff now also leaked Westworld stuff. I don't know what, I don't know if it's substantial or anything.

But just a warning to y'all that there may be spoilers out there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Spoilers: the ultimate Voight-Kampff test.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A turtle is lying on its back in the desert. It doesn't look like anything to you, why is that?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Because I am also a turtle.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

News has it that the HBO hacker who leaked the GoT stuff now also leaked Westworld stuff. I don't know what, I don't know if it's substantial or anything.

Good, I am making a loving fortune selling salt to Morton

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Teddy dies again!

A HBO brothel scenes has lots of topless extras.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There's even CONFEDERATE spoilers already!

https://twitter.com/Ethan_Booker/status/892392732223787009

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

This checks out.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Spoiler! Its going to be poo poo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

A turtle is lying on its back in the desert. It doesn't look like anything to you, why is that?

Because I like turtles, to quote a very smart person.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/07/china-mars-replica-space-tibet-plateau

95000 square kilometers. That's the size of Portugal.

It's not quite Westworld but people are going to pay craploads of money to camp in the middle of a specially designed desert. Sounds close enough to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/07/china-mars-replica-space-tibet-plateau

It's not quite Westworld but people are going to pay craploads of money to camp in the middle of a specially designed desert. Sounds close enough to me.

Unless they dome it and suck the oxygen out to let people play Quaid I'm not impressed.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Carbon dioxide posted:

Capitalism is doing a way better job of erasing the idea of Tibet than communism on its best day.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Unless they dome it and suck the oxygen out to let people play Quaid I'm not impressed.
Yeah. I'm a space of enthusiast, but I'm not really seeing the point of this.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

May as well say the Painted Desert is the most Jupiter like place on earth and build a space port on it, if all you're going for is a vague look.

edit:
Everyone should see the Painted Desert anyways though. It's awesome.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

New Delos email arrived in my inbox

Delos Corporate Mainland posted:

SUBJECT: Did everyone at Westworld get fired?
If not, you're about to. I never got a response on the asset retrieval from San Diego and the vendor shipped everything to us in sleep mode. There's one stored in my office right now. I don't know how you guys do this--even if they're not real, they're real creepy.

New York City is coming up. How do you want to handle? Proceed with the roadshow as planned? Nobody has run a diagnostic on these hosts in months and I'm not sure how they'll perform once they get out there. And truthfully, after a few select San Diegan black hats, some of the hosts could use a Body Shop tune up.

If I don't hear from someone in the next 15 minutes, we're moving forward and shipping these out. One Mesa filled with lazy, unresponsive assholes doesn't stop the show.

Nerdietalk fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 29, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Is that saying that the bots are sending Woke bots to travelling westworld advertising roadshows? Lol

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL that such an annoyed, corporate e-mail could be the trumpet that sounds the Fall of Man

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Doggles posted:

Have you figured out how the guns work yet? :can:

In the movie wasn't it something to do with detecting the body heat of the host/guest. I always imagined it was something like that. Also, I have a theory the whole thing is on a space station or Mars or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it will be Australia still

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nerdman42 posted:

New Delos email arrived in my inbox

How do you sign up to get these?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Its the state of Idaho finally being put to decent use

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

KoRMaK posted:

How do you sign up to get these?

I signed up for a trip to Westworld. Literally, there was a whole pretend "when do you want your trip? Put in your email here" thing on the website

I'm not sure if the process is the same with the website hosed post-uprising

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I tried to sign up around the time things started to go down on the show, it's no longer an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The new thread is up

• Locked thread