Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Radiation slows down industry and atmospheric dust drops the temperature but fortunately at these levels the effects are trivial. ~4 months for the radiation to recede to background levels, ~2 months for the dust to settle and it'll be just like it was excepting a spaceport, DSTS and a bunch of people :ohdear:

Do need to be a tad careful with planets with a liquid hydrosphere as significant atmospheric dust could temporarily drop the temperature below the hydrosphere's freezing point, potentially cascading into a runaway ice age. That's Aurora :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nothing's more fun than kicking up enough dust that the oceans freeze and the temperature runs away to like -60 and kills everyone. So much cheaper and easier than having to manually bomb all the people to death or pump chlorine into the atmosphere, too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Nothing's more fun than kicking up enough dust that the oceans freeze and the temperature runs away to like -60 and kills everyone. So much cheaper and easier than having to manually bomb all the people to death or pump chlorine into the atmosphere, too.

Can terraformers work quickly enough to be used in battle?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Crazycryodude posted:

pump chlorine into the atmosphere, too.
I'm about to start a game as custom race orcs and shall give this a try when I get the chance. :twisted:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

Can terraformers work quickly enough to be used in battle?

You probably don't want to try it while stuff is still defending the planet, but even the slightest amount of poison gas in the atmosphere can cause a significant increase in the colony cost and cause mass die-offs if there isn't enough infrastructure. Doesn't matter if the air already wasn't breathable, though. The die-off won't be instant either, the annual growth rate will just go negative by a lot.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

tatankatonk posted:

Did we really just kill or injure 2 million people :sweatdrop:

Yes very much so. This is fairly mild for aurora orbital bombardment.

Titan has a thick atmosphere otherwise we could use direct fire weapons on the enemy ground units.

Hessi
Oct 28, 2010
Too bad there isn t a possibility of doing kinetic strikes aka rocks with strap-on boosters without the canned light? But omlettes and eggs i guess, the Revolutionaries would loose after all if we didn t get involved. Will we have a cb´hance to do the battle of the 3rd Fleet vs IC reinforcements or just get a battle report with the result?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Nice to see my first major action is murdering a bunch of civilians. :clint:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Anyone on Titan living near the vicinity of military infrastructure should have thought about that before they were born into wage slavery.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

30 April, 0230hrs

With the fighting on Titan settling down the fleet settles into a familiar routine of refueling and resupplying. Thanks to his previous success with mine development Cryo is placed in charge of producing Martian-compatible missiles from facilities in Titan orbit with the help of the local workers. The local workforce is generally ecstatic and seem to regard the Martian spacers as liberators rather than enemies. Cryo reports that 2-3 days should be enough to provide sufficient missile loadouts for the fleet.

The net is closing in on Titan with IC forces closing from two directions and the Terrans incoming from the inner solar system.

Third Fleet has been skirmishing with the IC reinforcements from Jupiter and is somewhat overmatched at present. Four IC ships have also split off at an astonishing 3600kps and are heading for a point NE of Saturn, no doubt planning to rendezvous with the Uranus reinforcements. 3rd is barely holding off the massive IC fighter waves and is unable to split to pursue as this would expose the separated ships to destruction. Depending on how the battle swings you may not be able to expect reinforcement from 3rd fleet in time.

The IC reinforcements from Uranus are about 4 days from Titan and are being shadowed in by FSC Windhund.

Observed Peril is following the IC ships fleeing Saturn and the Deimos are about 10 hours from intercept.

Finally the massive Terran force is lumbering through the asteroid belt at 2500kps being tracked the whole way by Mars based DSTS. Smaller ships are probably not resolvable due to their low thermal signature. It is about 6 days out from Titan.

Time for a plan to defend Titan!

Your current fleet status can be found here. In the images above the distances on the contacts are their distance from Titan.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 18, 2017

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Would we be able to have the FSCs shadow the fleets long enough to get accurate info on their final attack directions? Would another minefield be feasible and worth diverting resources to? We have the designs already. It worked quite well last time hitting them with their pants shields down.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If we can get another minefield I would love that, but we've got like 1/3rd as much time as we did back around Triton, no minelayers, and need the factory time for our ASM's. Saros' call, though.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Second question, since the shipyards were captured relatively intact with ships at various stages of completion, are any of them semi-combat capable? If they just have launcher tubes or guns on a skeleton hull that we can tow out as an orbital platform manned by men in vac suits it would still be another gun in the fight.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

We don't even need a precise attack direction in order to lay a minefield. They have to enter the Saturn system to use their heavy beam combatants, so we can just drop mine pods above rhea and titan. IC simply won't be able to avoid them

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Mines don't have IFF, they'll immediately spooge their missiles all over us.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Well I'm glad that I'm nice and safe in Triton's shipyards

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Would we be able to have the FSCs shadow the fleets long enough to get accurate info on their final attack directions? Would another minefield be feasible and worth diverting resources to? We have the designs already. It worked quite well last time hitting them with their pants shields down.

The FSC will shadow the fleets in unless given other orders. You're very pressed for time with making missiles so more mines are out of the question i'm afraid. Whats more you don't have anthing to lay them with.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Second question, since the shipyards were captured relatively intact with ships at various stages of completion, are any of them semi-combat capable? If they just have launcher tubes or guns on a skeleton hull that we can tow out as an orbital platform manned by men in vac suits it would still be another gun in the fight.

It's possible that the Titan Free State may be able to activate a ship in time but they are pretty back and forth about it so expect it to appear as last minute reinforcements if at all. For the captured Koshkin's you've been quoted a week to swap and integrate engines but maybe a miracle will happen.

Frigates and Missiles:

A quick and dirty refit of your two Hubble class Anti-Fighter frigates is underway. Two tubes and part of her EWAR capability is sacrificed for a replacement sensor suite and slighty expanded magazine space.

code:
FR Hubble Mk II class Frigate    2,900 tons     88 Crew     491.5 BP      TCS 58  TH 144  EM 0
3310 km/s     Armour 3-18     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 0     PPV 10
Maint Life 1.3 Years     MSP 79    AFR 89%    IFR 1.2%    1YR 49    5YR 738    Max Repair 120 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 9 months    Spare Berths 0    
Magazine 138    

SpaceX 192 EP Nuclear Pulse Engine (1)    Power 192    Fuel Use 88.33%    Signature 144    Exp 12%
Fuel Capacity 70,000 Litres    Range 4.9 billion km   (17 days at full power)

Virgin Galactic Size 1 Missile Launcher (10)    Missile Size 1    Rate of Fire 10
Special Refit Missile Fire Control FC28-R7 (70%) (1)     Range 28.4m km    Resolution 7
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile Mk II (30)  Speed: 17,900 km/s   End: 6.1m    Range: 6.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1 
Size 1 Anti-Fighter Missile Mk II (108)  Speed: 17,900 km/s   End: 27m    Range: 29m km   WH: 1    Size: 1 

Special Refit Active Search Sensor MR29-R7 (70%) (1)     GPS 560     Range 29.6m km    Resolution 7

Compact ECCM-1 (1)
You also have new missiles designs coming in from Mars, the updates are incremental but will slightly improve your capabilities.

code:
Size 1 Anti-missile Missile Mk II  Speed: 17,900 km/s   End: 6.1m    Range: 6.5m km   WH: 1    Size: 1 
Size 1 Anti-Fighter Missile Mk II  Speed: 17,900 km/s   End: 27m    Range: 29m km   WH: 1    Size: 1 
Size 2 Anti-ship Missile Mk II  Speed: 16,800 km/s   End: 46.3m    Range: 46.7m km   WH: 3    Size: 2

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 18, 2017

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
Forewarning. I'm a poo poo strategist here.

To what extent can we use titan itself as a screen for our fleets? With a basic strategy of harassing them as they come into the system with some of our longer range middle ships but keeping the bulk of our fleet in reserve for a knife fight.

Another horrible idea is to tow some of our crippled ships out with skeleton crews to get some potshots in and act as magnets for some of those Marissa Meyers salvos.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Well there are no meyers in the enemy force. Looks like we're the ones with box launchers this time around. As for hiding behind celestial bodies, that's not handled in the game but saros has been willing to fluff it a bit previously. We're going over ideas for fuckery and tactical plans on discord right now.

A few more details given by saros over discord:
+ We can assume the new Henry Ford and Feynmann classes are fast, close range beamships.
+ The Jupiter force likely has a new, meaner edition of the Koshkin. We don't see it right now cause it's too small.
+ These new classes were being held up by IC for a surprise counterpunch but our successes have forced a premature deployment.
+ We can assume that IC knows exactly what our force looks like.

It appears IC isn't going to wait for their whole fleet to arrive before attacking Saturn. The BC group is running ahead with a significant speed differential. We expect the BC group will meet up with the Uranus group, then attack. Total attack force looks to be:

2x Henry Ford (unknown BC, expected beam combatant)
2x Richard Feynman (unknown cruiser, expected beam combatant)
3x Einstein missile cruiser - We need to stop the one fleeing Saturn before it links up with the rest.
Unknown number of Koshkin Mk.2 (beam destroyer)

Overall, the enemy has a huge amount of beam firepower but not much missile throw weight. They are also outrunning their FSVs so they won't have the missile stocks for an extended exchange. We expect them to come at us and seek a beam fight as fast as possible, which they will likely win if we have not sufficiently hurt them with missiles. We've considered preemptive attacks on the separate forces before they can combine, but the time and distances involved don't support that strategy very well.

We're thinking we need to begin harassment as soon as possible with the captured box fighters and wear them down exactly like what they did to us. Long range sorties will hopefully catch IC with their shields down and cause some major damage. We'd focus on reducing their PD capability with these attacks.

When they arrive at Saturn we'll use our missile ships, including the captured box launchers, to damage the enemy beam forces as much as possible. Concentration of force is essential here - penny packeting our missile assets into small salvos will make them less effective and probably lose us the battle. Between our PD cruiser, captured PD orbitals, and new frigates, we think we can stop the enemy's return missile fire.

Hopefully after the harassment and missile barrages they'll be worn down enough for us to take them in a beam fight.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Other potential plans for fuckery: hide in the clouds of Saturn. We just saw the IC fleet inbound on us for the first time, this is a great opportunity to have a carefully constructed, easily interceptable panic attack on the fleet channel and look like we're about to start running for our lives (while actually moving all the orbitals and ships we can into Saturn's atmosphere). Add in the TFS and our "abandoned" ground troops loudly cursing our name and promising to feed Yellerbill his own testicles, and hopefully the IC thinks we're booking it home. Then they swagger into the Saturn system swinging their dicks around and glancing meaningfully at the rebels, only to be met by 500 missiles coming out of the clouds of Saturn while they're looking the other way.

The one problem is that right now, the IC still controls most of the DSTS on Titan. We can glass it and blind them so they can't watch us anymore, but it would likely incur major civilian casualties. With this in mind, I think we should ask the TFS leadership what they think, and for their permission if they like the plan. I think it's a really good plan, but we'd be killing millions of their people, it should be their call.

Saros, can we dial them up and see what's what?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 18, 2017

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Additional Notes from Discord: Currently the battle plan involves several steps. As mentioned above this starts with using or IC box launcher fighters to try to harass the enemy PD ships. We will continue this as long as possible thanks to their range allowing us a few reloads. Once the enemy closes in we will wait until all missile ships are in range before firing. We specifically want our first wave to all hit around the same time so there is a better chance to get through PD. Specifically this means holding off on having the Musk, Mayer, and Mobile fire until the rest of our ship is in range, preferable with the enemy a little bit inside our missile range so they don't try to kite everything. The first wave of fire would primarily be aimed at the two BCs, with the Musk targetting one and the Mobile the other. We may throw the mayer at one of these as well. The rest of the fleet will then begin firing upon other enemy ships to attempt to wear down as many of the close range IC ships as possible.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

100% behind hitting them with their own goddamned box fighters.

I also like the idea of Operation Thunderclap and shooting them with surprise cloud missiles. If we do go that angle, the half built ships in dock work in really well if we can get some of them armed too. Assuming Saros lets us do that of course.

Is there any way to swing that ploy if we don't get the go ahead to glass the tracking station? Can the SB pull us any favors?

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 19, 2017

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I'm optimistic about "Operation Thunderclap" and I'm nth-ing "hitting them with their own goddamned box fighters."

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

YellerBill posted:

I'm optimistic about "Operation Thunderclap" and I'm nth-ing "hitting them with their own goddamned box fighters."

:same:

Let's do it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'll bet at this point IC engineers are desperately working on a way to field modify all their ships with a kill switch that fries all targetting electronics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SECURE TRANSMISSION INCOMING

This is Void Colonel SebMojo, Mars Navy Ident 2 triple C niner five eighty eight, forty seventh squadron, Pluto Actual. This transmission is eyes only, Mars level security.

I have momentous news, the substance of which is in my full report along with a complete telemetry data package I sent through at 0330 by quantum encrypted signal burst. In summary; my fellow Martians, we are not alone in the universe. We are very much not alone.

To recap: Following brief and conclusive military action, we took control of an underground research installation, following investigation by Captain Autoshades, we encountered a verified extraterrestrial subsurface base, apparently under the control of an artificially intelligent persona, which describes itself as ‘Facility’. Facility claims to have been crippled by a lack of TNEs - details of the very large quantity it claims to need are in the report. Captain Autoshades’ suit comp recorded the following transmission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxeiFdiCMIo

In discussions with Facility it became apparent that it convincingly claimed to be able to locate and operate gates capable of interstellar travel. Details of the process are attached for analysis; science staff in mission indicate that the theory appears sound, if this gate can be located.

Fellow martians; the stars are within our grasp.

After taking appropriate precautions we cooperated with Facility in lifting into orbit what it claimed to be a scanning device that would allow it to locate such a gate at an in-system Lagrange point. Upon activation of the device a gate point formed and expanded and an unknown extrasolar entity attempted to force passage into Pluto orbit. I ordered fire for effect from Atrocity Exhibition and the Destroyer Gusty. Our efforts were successful and the gate was destroyed, but not before a destructive beam measured at in excess of 4 petajoules obliterated the Gusty with all hands. I hereby recommend all crew for the posthumous award of the Deimos Cross for gallantry

Since the engagement, which was 14 hours ago, Facility has been silent and unresponsive. However recon has reported discovery of significant stores of advanced materiel, mainly drones and missiles. We are investigating whether they can be repurposed.

We are holding the future of Mars in our hands out here and with it the potential to advance the plan by decades if not centuries. I request all the support Mars can spare. We will hold this rock to our last breath until it arrives.

Mojo, out.

TRANSMISSION ENDS

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 20, 2017

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Everything above is canon and is hitting Martian Fleet command right about.... Now.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Facility what have you done?
. . . Facility? :eek:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Poor Martian Fleet Command. Biggest most important battle in Mars history coming up and they're crippled by this.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yesssss Facility hook us up with them sweet sweet bullshit missiles.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Time to rename the Atrocity Exhibition to plain ol' Atrocity when it gets upgraded to its final form.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

A far better "poo poo, aliens" missive than the one I was allowed to make. Go get em Martians. Take the galaxy.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Really changes the perspective on the Terrans possibly having jump technology. Do we tell them about this an tip our hand on Facility and all the sweet toys we might pull out of that? Or do we let them do their experiments and risk opening a gate that doesn't have the artillery on hand required to push back when whatever the hell that was tries to force its way in?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Nah let Earth gently caress around with forces beyond their comprehension, worst case their exploration teams get eaten by Azathoth or whatever. If we hear reports of Terran scouts mysteriously disappearing (or just being overdue), then we can get worried.

Definitely don't tell them anything about Pluto, though, because then they'll want it back.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
I believe worst case would be that they lead the elder gods to Sol system, not that they lose some scouts...

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Pash posted:

I believe worst case would be that they lead the elder gods to Sol system, not that they lose some scouts...

...but they would eat Earth first, right? Probably?

If they eat Earth first, then, for a brief moment, Mars will have won the Sol wars!

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Once we're out of our current hot mess and get some breathing room then we should put some effort towards a force capable of blockading a specific point in space, regardless of whether United Terra find sufficient exploitable extra-solar resources to outpace us or the space equivalent of a dark alley to blunder into

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheWetFish posted:

Once we're out of our current hot mess and get some breathing room then we should put some effort towards a force capable of blockading a specific point in space, regardless of whether United Terra find sufficient exploitable extra-solar resources to outpace us or the space equivalent of a dark alley to blunder into

I think the mine field approach would be a good cheap starter. can we improve the tech on that easily?

also this gigantic storehouse of hyper advanced drones and missiles might help idk

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 19, 2017

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

sebmojo posted:

I think the mine field approach would be a good cheap starter. can we improve the tech on that easily?

also this gigantic storehouse of hyper advanced drones and missiles might help idk

Yeah, uh, I feel like someone should have asked this sooner, but is there any loving way we can get them to Triton right now!?

I for one would appreciate having super alien missiles and killer drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr. Snark posted:

Yeah, uh, I feel like someone should have asked this sooner, but is there any loving way we can get them to Triton right now!?

No. Space is very, very big and our current engines are very, very slow. Even if a fast scout with cargo space somehow was already in Pluto orbit and loaded, it would take longer to get to Triton than we have. The absolute closest Pluto gets to Neptune is 2.8 billion kilometers, according to a quick Google search. At 4000 km/s, that still takes 700,000 seconds, which is 8 days and some change. I'm pretty sure we're less than a week out from action at this point. Pluto can be as far from Neptune as 11.77 billion kilometers, which is actually completely out of the range of any of our military ships AFAIK. It isn't that far in the LP, but I included that as a reference.