Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Yauatcha do a tasting menu and that's pretty pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The Ledbury is very good. We had an amazing meal at Marcus Waring at the Berkeley. One of the best meals I had was Roganic, which was Simon Rogan's; he's now at Fera at Latisha which I believe is amazing. The Glasshouse also looks good, as is Pied a'Terre

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

peanut- posted:

Tasting menus aren't really that common these days. Small plates reign supreme.

The Clove Club and Story jump to mind. HKK or Gymkhana for Chinese and Indian.

Le Gavroche is always an option too.

The Clove Club tasting menu really was outstanding. You can get some of the standouts on the bar menu though, like the pine fried chicken.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Nephzinho posted:

The Clove Club tasting menu really was outstanding. You can get some of the standouts on the bar menu though, like the pine fried chicken.

Ooh. That sounds lovely. Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Horse Clocks posted:

Any thoughts on where I can take my (pregnant) wife for her birthday next week?

She was thinking of going to temper, but they say 'don't eat medium meat when pregnant', but that's what she wants. Conflicted.

On that point, sous vide med rare meat should be safe as long as it is cooked long enough to be pasteurised - if you can find a place, it could be a nice cheat to continue eating non-immolated meat through the pregnancy without worrying about the little one.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Yauatcha do a tasting menu and that's pretty pricey.

I found that Yauatcha have really gone down hill since the changeover. I'm sure I've already whined about it here, but when you're out for a special occasion and they give your expensive bottle of wine to the next table it can really grind your gears.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I found that Yauatcha have really gone down hill since the changeover. I'm sure I've already whined about it here, but when you're out for a special occasion and they give your expensive bottle of wine to the next table it can really grind your gears.

What? Surely the solution to this problem is very simply that you get another one? If they gently caress up that badly it's very much on them and you don't end up any worse off.

I guess my point is that, while this is a big fuckup, it certainly shouldn't do much more than colour your review. If everything else was bad then fair enough.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

ineptmule posted:

What? Surely the solution to this problem is very simply that you get another one? If they gently caress up that badly it's very much on them and you don't end up any worse off.

I guess my point is that, while this is a big fuckup, it certainly shouldn't do much more than colour your review. If everything else was bad then fair enough.

They got really, really angry. We had to pay for that wine and more wine... to actually drink. Food was fine, but HKK/Hakkasan forever now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
They gave your bottle of wine to a different table... and you paid for it? Why would you do that?

I struggle to believe they'd ever even ask you to unless there's way more to the story.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Yeah I really don't believe that. If a restaurant gave an expensive wine to another table and tried to make me pay I'd have flat out refused and called the police if they kept insisting

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Pleas elaborate on the wine story

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I don't see that it's really that complicated. I hate those communal bottle holders that some restaurants have. It wasn't near us, it was near them.

We were having cocktails, when we said let's have the wine now, they were like you drank it. We said nope. Waiter wrangler appears and says we're making things up. We end up having to buy second bottle. They absolutely would not give in nor acknowledge that they made a mistake.

Edit: As loving lol at calling the police over a) a bottle of wine and b) during what was supposed to be a happy party.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I don't see that it's really that complicated. I hate those communal bottle holders that some restaurants have. It wasn't near us, it was near them.

We were having cocktails, when we said let's have the wine now, they were like you drank it. We said nope. Waiter wrangler appears and says we're making things up. We end up having to buy second bottle. They absolutely would not give in nor acknowledge that they made a mistake.

Edit: As loving lol at calling the police over a) a bottle of wine and b) during what was supposed to be a happy party.

You said it was expensive? Lol if you just roll over and take that

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sorry but it still sounds utterly bizarre and I can't really imagine how it happens or how you just accept it.

The other table just guzzled wine they never ordered? The waiter had no idea who he'd brought it to? You didn't have a bunch of completely unused wine glasses on your table to point at?

I wouldn't threaten to call the police so much as tell them they're welcome to if they want me to pay for the wine.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Seriously, how did you roll over on that, that's absurd.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

peanut- posted:

I wouldn't threaten to call the police so much as tell them they're welcome to if they want me to pay for the wine.

Yeah this is what I was getting at

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Could you have stopped your neighbours drinking your wine? Or asked them to pay for it? Or were they gone by the time your bill came?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So when this restaurant brings you your expensive wine they put it in a bottle holder that's not near your table and expect you to go over and get it yourself if you want to pour yourself a glass?

This story is sounding more dubious by the minute.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I imagine the tables were close together, or were the kind that are shared between different groups. I believe the wine mix up happened I'm just amazed the OP paid for wine they didn't drink.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

:psyduck:

I bet you paid the service charge too didn't you?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

OP maybe you were in a big group and just don't realise how many glasses are in a bottle?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I feel like a restaurant putting your bottle of wine somewhere you can't even see it is a huge loving red flag right there.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Last autumn I went to a pop up supper club run by some chefs from a very good neighbourhood restaurant near where I live and yesterday I got an email to say they're putting it on again in a slightly different format:

https://www.chickenotwoods.com/

The food is exceptional and reasonably priced and it's running every Friday night from early September at a cafe in Muswell Hill.

:getin:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey, that looks cool. I like Flesh & Flour, it's my preferred local coffee place.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

ineptmule posted:

Hey, that looks cool. I like Flesh & Flour, it's my preferred local coffee place.

I've never actually bought anything from there but I might give the coffee a try when I'm up there this weekend!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I feel like a restaurant putting your bottle of wine somewhere you can't even see it is a huge loving red flag right there.

It's really common. Yautcha, sake no hana, Hakkasan, HKK and even that fondue place in soho all do it. I went to Lupin's recently and while the place is amazing, the best thing I can say is that they put the wine holder on the window sill next to us. You wait for the waiter to bring you the wine fyi.

I'm surprised something like this didn't happen earlier, because my father (and FIL) always both do this when we eat out where everyone else will have cocktails or soft drinks to start with and they immediately order a massive bottle that we don't touch until like 45 minutes later, when everyone has completely forgotten we ordered the sodding thing.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

OP maybe you were in a big group and just don't realise how many glasses are in a bottle?

This is what the restaurant said, which is part of why it was such a big fuss. I would agree except literally no one had had any beyond the first tasting because of the cocktails.

Also we didn't notice the guys drinking the wine because they were a few tables away, until we put two and two together, because invisible Michael Winner's ghost didn't down it, but we were the only two groups in there at the time.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Had brunch at Ester's in Stoke Newington today (French toast):

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tarbrush posted:

HI everyone,

What're the go-to recommendations for a blowout place to go at the moment? The Ledbury comes highly recommended, what else is there? Doesn't have to be European, but a tasting menu is a must.

I realise this guy has probably gone ahead and had a great time somewhere, but if anybody else is wondering the same thing, the best tasting menu I've had anywhere in London, possibly anywhere, is Vineet Bhatia London - formerly Rasoi. Basically flawless, a total breath of fresh air from the general Modern/French proliferation. It was amazing from start to finish. My only complaint was that the service was overly attentive for my tastes (possibly me being oversensitive and British). As in, they will try and put your napkin on your lap for you. Uh, no thanks good chap.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm in Haringey/Wood Green for a couple of weeks, is there any good (ideally non-chain) Mexican food around?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Nothing in the immediate vicinity that I am aware of. But if you're open to other recommendations, please come down Green Lanes and go to Devran for a Turkish platter with friends.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Jeza posted:

I realise this guy has probably gone ahead and had a great time somewhere, but if anybody else is wondering the same thing, the best tasting menu I've had anywhere in London, possibly anywhere, is Vineet Bhatia London - formerly Rasoi. Basically flawless, a total breath of fresh air from the general Modern/French proliferation. It was amazing from start to finish. My only complaint was that the service was overly attentive for my tastes (possibly me being oversensitive and British). As in, they will try and put your napkin on your lap for you. Uh, no thanks good chap.

We're off to Umu on the recommendation of a friend of my dad, but I will definitely add that to the list, thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey folks, need a recommendation for a place for a quiet special occasion, around 10 people who need to be able to speak clearly to each other. Food requirements are gluten-free friendly, and quite special feeling. At least one member of the party is veggie. Price maximum £50 per head although with flex to accommodate for drinks.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

ineptmule posted:

Hey folks, need a recommendation for a place for a quiet special occasion, around 10 people who need to be able to speak clearly to each other. Food requirements are gluten-free friendly, and quite special feeling. At least one member of the party is veggie. Price maximum £50 per head although with flex to accommodate for drinks.

Quite easy to find somewhere for £50 per head but 'special feeling' is a bit tougher. You could try Brasserie Zédel. Very central, pretty reasonable prices, nice décor. They have a Vegetarian/GF menu, but you'd need to phone/email for a booking of 10 I'd imagine. Most of the nice quiet places are a bit further out of Central London (well, the not eye-wateringly expensive ones). A more expensive option could be The Delaunay. They are both sister restaurants to The Wolseley. Old school and with very nice surroundings. Both attract theatre-going clientèle.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Was in London and after reading much goodness about Dishoom, went there to see first hand what the fuss is about.

Arrived around 8pm-ish. About 1.5h wait (45 lineup/45 in the crowded bar) finally got seated on a Saturday night at around 10pm.

It was a solid 8/10. Lost one point for that lineup/no reservations policy. I like Indian food, and it was spot on. Love the sealed pot biryani, and the black house daal was great.

Perfect place if you're doing a double date.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
In my experience even when you do have reservations they ram you into the bar for an hour anyway.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I moved to Battersea a few months ago and have to say there are quite a lot of good food options around Clapham Junction station/between the commons.

Recently tried Little Bird, sort of a mediterranean-Asian-Peruvian (ish) fusion, small plates, solid cocktail menu. This is their 2nd location after the first in Chiswick, both have a casual holiday-feel to their decor and a good buzz. Only disappointing dish was the Peruvian black rice with almonds and coconut, which could have been good but was just drastically under-seasoned and bland, and there was no salt & pepper on our table. Seared tuna sashimi in ponzu was great.

Just across the street is the Walrus Room, which has very good cocktails for about 9 quid and seems like a great date spot.

There's also a place on Northcote road called Vagabond wines, which is a bit pseudo-industrial hipster chic and can get quite crowded, but they do wine dispensing machines on a card payment system. What brought me back again, though, was their fried chicken - it's cooked sous vide first then flash fried, so it's incredibly moist but with a crispy coating and a nice chipotle mayo type sauce. Their menu changes seasonally I believe, so I'm not sure how long that will be available, but definitely a really nice bite.

Plus, there's reasonable quality pho and a Franco Manca within walking distance, a great cheesemonger, local butcher, and a seafood truck, so that's a bonus. I guess what I'm trying to say is Battersea is good.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

unknown posted:

Was in London and after reading much goodness about Dishoom, went there to see first hand what the fuss is about.

Arrived around 8pm-ish. About 1.5h wait (45 lineup/45 in the crowded bar) finally got seated on a Saturday night at around 10pm.

It was a solid 8/10. Lost one point for that lineup/no reservations policy. I like Indian food, and it was spot on. Love the sealed pot biryani, and the black house daal was great.

Perfect place if you're doing a double date.

That actually doesn't sound too bad for a Saturday night. I don't think I've ever been there without spending 45 minutes at the bar, but if you plan ahead you can usually avoid the line. In the winter they have warm cider and poo poo for people waiting outside!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My London knowledge is failing me. Remind me of some options for places to eat with parents on a weekday night when they have a train from King's Cross leaving at 9pm or thereabouts. Not after anything fancy, just something decent and north/central. Anything except seafood places can be considered.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Zedel do a 4 course formule menu for £20 that's really good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

My London knowledge is failing me. Remind me of some options for places to eat with parents on a weekday night when they have a train from King's Cross leaving at 9pm or thereabouts. Not after anything fancy, just something decent and north/central. Anything except seafood places can be considered.

I had surprisingly good Spanish food right next to Kings X. Cambio? Something like that. Not too pricey either.