Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orty
May 14, 2007

Currently feeding my 3 cats Fromm Tunachovy dry (with tiki cat wet supplement every once in awhile) and they are loving it, but with Chewy not stocking it anymore I got a little curious as to what all else is out there. It seems like most people don't like Fromm due to a high carb count? I also don't understand the whole fruits and veggies thing, is that even a benefit?

Where does the Fromm dry food rank compared to stuff like Wellness Core and Orijen etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've been feeding my dog a large breed formula since the shelter billed her as a large dog. She's between 50-55 lbs. I've mixed in some food of the same brand and flavor that I guess is their average dog formula because PetSmart had a coupon for a free bag of dog or cat food recently but the large breed didn't have a bag that came in a small enough size to get a free bag. I haven't had any problems yet so I think I'm fine to keep switching her to the "regular" food.

Now I'm adopting a second dog who is under 50lbs. I'm not sure what her ideal weight should be but I'll discuss that more with my vet once the adoption has gone through and we've had an exam. The shelter wasn't sure of her exact weight or what it should be but we're thinking 25-30 lbs. She seems a healthy weight now but her intake was 2 months ago and she hasn't been spayed yet. She'll be weighed when she has surgery.

I feel like it will be easier to manage if they are eating the same dry food. So I plan to fully transition Dog1 from large breed to regular and Dog2 from the shelter brand to the new food at the same time.

I guess my question is should I give Dog1 any large breed supplements for joint health? As far as I can tell, the main difference between the large breed and the regular are the large breed has larger pieces, which I don't think is a huge difference, and it has added supplements for joint health.

I will ask my vet also.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GoodBee posted:

I've been feeding my dog a large breed formula since the shelter billed her as a large dog. She's between 50-55 lbs. I've mixed in some food of the same brand and flavor that I guess is their average dog formula because PetSmart had a coupon for a free bag of dog or cat food recently but the large breed didn't have a bag that came in a small enough size to get a free bag. I haven't had any problems yet so I think I'm fine to keep switching her to the "regular" food.

Now I'm adopting a second dog who is under 50lbs. I'm not sure what her ideal weight should be but I'll discuss that more with my vet once the adoption has gone through and we've had an exam. The shelter wasn't sure of her exact weight or what it should be but we're thinking 25-30 lbs. She seems a healthy weight now but her intake was 2 months ago and she hasn't been spayed yet. She'll be weighed when she has surgery.

I feel like it will be easier to manage if they are eating the same dry food. So I plan to fully transition Dog1 from large breed to regular and Dog2 from the shelter brand to the new food at the same time.

I guess my question is should I give Dog1 any large breed supplements for joint health? As far as I can tell, the main difference between the large breed and the regular are the large breed has larger pieces, which I don't think is a huge difference, and it has added supplements for joint health.

I will ask my vet also.

I always assumed "large breed" on dog food packaging referred to really big dogs, like 90 lbs plus. 50-55 lbs isn't really all that big. Both my mutts are in that range, pretty much full grown, and are doing great on regular adult food. Although they've only been transitioned off of puppy formula for a few months.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Super Grocery Kart posted:

I always assumed "large breed" on dog food packaging referred to really big dogs, like 90 lbs plus. 50-55 lbs isn't really all that big. Both my mutts are in that range, pretty much full grown, and are doing great on regular adult food. Although they've only been transitioned off of puppy formula for a few months.

Yeah, I didn't know what food to get. The shelter had her listed as a large dog so I bought large dog food. I told my vet what I'd picked out and she told me it was fine.

Apparently there are vastly different definitions of small, medium and large dogs depending on what you're looking at.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Large breed usually has larger kibble and some vitamins like chondritin and glucosamine and caratine (sp?) but some lower the fat too so idk, I always assumed it was more for 70lbs+ cos mine is 50lbs and does fine on regular adult formulas with joint supplements.

Also Blue Buffalo is following the route of Natures Recipe and showing up in Targets, hope this doesnt lead to a drop in quality again.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

ANUSTART posted:

Large breed usually has larger kibble and some vitamins like chondritin and glucosamine and caratine (sp?) but some lower the fat too so idk, I always assumed it was more for 70lbs+ cos mine is 50lbs and does fine on regular adult formulas with joint supplements.

I'll ask my vet about joint supplements. And I did notice slightly higher reported calorie content in the regular version of the food so we'll watch their weight.

quote:

Also Blue Buffalo is following the route of Natures Recipe and showing up in Targets, hope this doesnt lead to a drop in quality again.

I hope not. We'll see though. My cats have been eating Blue Buffalo for most of their lives and I've been hesitant to switch them off of something they've been doing well on. I picked it for the dogs since the cat version has been good for the cats.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Which one would be better for my dogo?

Purina ONE SmartBlend or Acana chicken cobb?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Nierbo posted:

The Acana by a million times. Google the ingredients, Purina is mostly corn.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I see. Thanks.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

The feeding instructions say to feed smaller dogs once a day and larger dogs twice a day. I've been feeding my 50lb dog twice a day. Is it a huge deal if I feed my 25 lb dog twice a day instead of once?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nierbo posted:

I've been in your place back when I needed to get my pupper in better health. I spent way too much time doing my research. Against pretty much every food I could compare it with Acana won easily. It has been wonderful for her health and the food has been 100% consistent and fresh. It's excellent stuff.

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious

GoodBee posted:

The feeding instructions say to feed smaller dogs once a day and larger dogs twice a day. I've been feeding my 50lb dog twice a day. Is it a huge deal if I feed my 25 lb dog twice a day instead of once?

As long as you're not feeding your 25lb dog twice as much food, it wouldn't make a difference. Calories/day is calories/day.

Your little one will probably appreciate getting fed twice.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Looking for a senior cat dry food brand that is a softer or easier to chew. Something she can snack on between meals so hopefully she a) gains weight and b) stops waking me up at 3am for a feeding.

Cat is 11 year old and eats 3.3oz of wet blue buffalo/wellness every day. She won't eat more than this.

She's gone from 7lbs to 5.5lbs over the last few years. Already talked with vet about this and had several tests done. She is on prednisone to help with some digestion issues.

As she's gotten older, Evo dry food seems to give her trouble and she doesn't eat it. Teeth are cleaned and checked by vet regularly.

Already tried adjusting feeding times. It doesn't seem to help much. If I go too late in the day she will not leave me alone which is a problem as I work from home.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Has anyone heard about recalls for Taste of the Wild "high prairie" dog food?

Our dog recently got really sick and was diagnosed with an ulcer- his appetite is just slowly starting to return after a couple weeks and a few pounds lost, and he will just barely be willing to eat deli meat and chicken now (we've been offering anything just to get him to eat SOMETHING).

I'm concerned that if it was due to his food, he'll get sick again once he starts eating kibble once more.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

hats4cats posted:

Looking for a senior cat dry food brand that is a softer or easier to chew.

You can mix warm water with the dry food but I don't know how long you can leave it out.

You could also try finding some soft treats for supplemental feeding. It's not complete nutrition but if the choice is treats or nothing, it might be okay since your cat is eating actual cat food too. You can at least ask your vet if it's an okay long-term solution.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

EVG posted:

Our dog recently got really sick and was diagnosed with an ulcer- his appetite is just slowly starting to return after a couple weeks and a few pounds lost, and he will just barely be willing to eat deli meat and chicken now (we've been offering anything just to get him to eat SOMETHING).

I'm concerned that if it was due to his food, he'll get sick again once he starts eating kibble once more.

I don't think there was an official recall, but there were quite a few rumblings a few weeks back about ToTW making dogs sick. Mine were just finishing a bag of High Prairie when I first heard about the issues. They never had any issues from it, but they didn't really seem to be in love with it, so the rumors of illness just gave me another reason to transition them back to Merrick.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

Stick with the meat from now on friend ;)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

EVG posted:

Taste of the Wild has recently had reports of dogs getting sick off the dry food, as noted in our recent thread on the matter. I would recommend moving away from Taste of the Wild.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone have a guide for home making your cat Cat Food? I work in a kitchen all the time, and the boss lets me take ingredients home, so I feel like this would be an excellent chance to quickly whip up some kitty cat food.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Does anyone know how long pet food class actions take? I submitted a claim during the Blue Buffalo "we don't use byproducts" "oh yes you do" fiasco back in March 2016 but the most recent thing on petfoodsettlement.com is some appeals paperwork dated July 2016. It says "This process could take some time" but over a year seems pretty long.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OK, my cat has never been picky with food for most of his life, but now in his old age (he's at least 14 years old now), he's really getting picky on his food. Based on this thread's recommendation I'd been feeding him mostly Wellness Core for the last 6-7 years, but now he won't eat it unless he's really hungry. He'll eat a little every day, but what he used to eat in one day now takes him 3 days.

He'll eat the hell out of wet food, thats tasty to him, but expensive. I'll bite the bullet and just buy cans if I have to, but is there another dry food that is "tasty", which he just might decide to eat with gusto?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Rigel posted:

OK, my cat has never been picky with food for most of his life, but now in his old age (he's at least 14 years old now), he's really getting picky on his food. Based on this thread's recommendation I'd been feeding him mostly Wellness Core for the last 6-7 years, but now he won't eat it unless he's really hungry. He'll eat a little every day, but what he used to eat in one day now takes him 3 days.

He'll eat the hell out of wet food, thats tasty to him, but expensive. I'll bite the bullet and just buy cans if I have to, but is there another dry food that is "tasty", which he just might decide to eat with gusto?

there's gotta be wet food that isn't expensive

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Maybe his teeth hurt? Or it may be that he has less appetite, but wet is so tempting he'll eat it anyways. He's an old man, let him eat what he likes.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

EVG posted:

Maybe his teeth hurt? Or it may be that he has less appetite, but wet is so tempting he'll eat it anyways. He's an old man, let him eat what he likes.

I think this might be what I needed to see. I don't think he has a crazy disease, and I don't think his taste has changed. He's just a very old cat and I think he just wants yummy food now. He won't live much longer, he's been a very good cat, and I definitely *CAN* afford to give him the good-tasting wet food if he wont eat dry anymore.

I don't like wasting food, so I'll wait for him to finish the dry he's got now the next couple days, but I think I'll let him retire in elderly wet cat food bliss after that.

edit: dont worry, im not starving him into eating the dry, I plan to mix in that wet taste sensation packet that they sell, which for sure will get my old cat to eat the last of his dry food,

Rigel fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 29, 2017

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Is this Crave food garbage?
http://www.cravepetfoods.com
We got a coupon for a free bag and the cats love it like it's got crack in it.
We looked over the ingredients and it looks mostly good from what we can tell.
We were feeding them blue buffalo before and mixed this new food in with what was left of the old bag of bb and they would pick out the pieces of the crave first before they would touch the bb.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Not sure if this is quite the right thread, but does anyone have experience with food bowls that are supposed to slow down eating?

Our puppy right now inhales hers 120g of Orijen Puppy Large in less than a minute and since we will be transitioning her to 2 meals/day (and thus increasing the amount she eats in one sitting) soonish, I am thinking that it might be a good idea to slow her down a bit. So far it looks like there are two basic choices, the boring and practical one, which have protrusions on the bottom so that the dog doesn't have that easy access to food, and a labyrinthian one, that looks more fun but is less practical -- the ones I've found in local shops are light plastic and would likely easily slide around on the ground, or be picked up and upturned.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Rigel posted:

feeding him mostly Wellness Core

Did you notice if the kibble size changed? I tried getting Wellness Core off of Chewy this Summer, but the bags they sent me looked different and the kibble was less than half the size as it always was.

None of my cats, or any of my family's cats, will touch it. Now I notice PetSmart is carrying the same type of bag with the extra small kibble.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Xarn posted:

Not sure if this is quite the right thread, but does anyone have experience with food bowls that are supposed to slow down eating?

Our puppy right now inhales hers 120g of Orijen Puppy Large in less than a minute and since we will be transitioning her to 2 meals/day (and thus increasing the amount she eats in one sitting) soonish, I am thinking that it might be a good idea to slow her down a bit. So far it looks like there are two basic choices, the boring and practical one, which have protrusions on the bottom so that the dog doesn't have that easy access to food, and a labyrinthian one, that looks more fun but is less practical -- the ones I've found in local shops are light plastic and would likely easily slide around on the ground, or be picked up and upturned.

Just bought my pup one of the labyrinth ones. It helped A LOT. Puppy was inhaling food then harassing the older dog. It is a cheap plastic one though. My 15lb pup can't flip it, but she does push it around the floor when it is empty.

This thing has made my morning routine so much better. Instead of a minute, it takes the puppy 10 to eat giving me a chance to get my poo poo together before we play morning fetch. The older dog enjoys being able to eat in peace as well.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Anyone else get that free bag of dry food email coupon from PetSmart? I picked up a bag of Wellness Complete Health Grain Free Salmon, gonna switch my cat over from Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon. After hearing about their recalls and the fact that they're essentially a marketing company, I don't like Blue Buffalo anymore.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
It looks like Petco has a store-brand, grain free food with decent ingredients, at a pretty good price. Anyone have experience with this Wholehearted brand? https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/wholehearted-grain-free-lamb-and-lentils-formula-dog-food

quote:

Ingredients
Lamb, lamb meal, lentils, chickpeas, peas, pea flour, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), fava beans, flaxseed, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salmon oil, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, yucca schidigera extract, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid (preservative), vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 25.0% Minimum;
Crude Fat 14.0% Minimum;
Crude Fiber 5.0% Maximum;
Moisture 10.0% Maximum;
Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum;
Selenium 0.35 mg/kg Minimum;
Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum;
Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% Minimum;
Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% Minimum;
Total Microorganisms* 1,000,000 CFU/lb Minimum (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri in descending amounts)

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I'm going here. We have a roughly 2 year old rescue mutt. She has visible collie elements but everything else is a mix. She is pretty small for collie at 18ish kg and gets about 1.5 to 2 hours on lead walk a day with 2 days in dog daycare. (This is to give an idea about exercise) initially.we fed Wainwright but her poo.was yellow and sloppy. We moved to fishmonger finest which she loved.for ages but then abruptly went off. Skinner's was a no.go ( ex starving stray and refused to eat it) and now on step up to natural. However she has developed a bit of a scratch habit and has had a.more.grumpy than usual nature that day care has noticed. Senate now.on Millie's wolfhart alert mixed with the natural. Is.tjis ok? I.worry.she is.sad

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

My puppy came from a foster home and we tried to transition him to one of Blue Buffalo's lines of grain free food and it gave him super bad diarrhea. The vet said that BB is often too rich for dogs, especislly puppies with sensative stomachs, and put him on Hills Prescription Diet to transition onto a different food. She recommended Purina Pro Plan's Savor line and we tried that, and he did better than on BB but still got the shits once he was fully on it. The vet put him back on the Hills for a couple months and recommended a slow transition to another less rich food around 8 months old. We are ready to switch and she recommended a different Purina food but I don't remember which. She's far and away the most popular vet in town so it can take a while to hear back on non emergencies, so I figured I would ask you fine folks what your recommendations are. I would still like to do grain free and affordable.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

My puppy came from a foster home and we tried to transition him to one of Blue Buffalo's lines of grain free food and it gave him super bad diarrhea. The vet said that BB is often too rich for dogs, especislly puppies with sensative stomachs, and put him on Hills Prescription Diet to transition onto a different food. She recommended Purina Pro Plan's Savor line and we tried that, and he did better than on BB but still got the shits once he was fully on it. The vet put him back on the Hills for a couple months and recommended a slow transition to another less rich food around 8 months old. We are ready to switch and she recommended a different Purina food but I don't remember which. She's far and away the most popular vet in town so it can take a while to hear back on non emergencies, so I figured I would ask you fine folks what your recommendations are. I would still like to do grain free and affordable.

Are you near a Petsmart? Our Simply Nourish line is grain-free and affordable (and as a bonus it doesn't contain pea protein). There's also Nulo and I've heard good things about Krave.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

dovetaile posted:

Are you near a Petsmart? Our Simply Nourish line is grain-free and affordable (and as a bonus it doesn't contain pea protein). There's also Nulo and I've heard good things about Krave.

As long as a dog with a historically sensitive stomach can keep it down without making GBS threads wet lava I am willing to try anything, thank you for the recommendations!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My cat is making GBS threads wet lava on wellness core shredded but he's a di k about eating pate. Anything similar that might not cause the litter box to be all mini diarrhea clumps?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

KidDynamite posted:

My cat is making GBS threads wet lava on wellness core shredded but he's a di k about eating pate. Anything similar that might not cause the litter box to be all mini diarrhea clumps?

I've tried a bunch, and the only thing that I ever found that came close as far as "my cats inhale this food" to the Wellness core shredded was Authority. You could also try switching proteins, maybe? I know the Core shredded has a few different protein options.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Try actual meat if they're miserable on the dry stuff, there's a big chance their bodies will know what to do with it.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
So I'm planning on moving my cat from dry food to mostly wet food (dry would be for feeding when I know I won't be home that night or long weekends where I can't get someone by to give her food).

I am thinking of trying out Tiki Cat food, but I'm a bit confused on how much she should be getting each meal/day. Right now I feed her 1/4 cup twice a day of Innova EVO, and she's a little overweight, but not to a point of concern for my vet (she's at about 10-11 pounds right now). Do I give her one of the 2.8oz cans per day, or per meal? Looking at the kcal information on the site, I'm guessing it would be 1 2.8oz can per meal, or maybe divide a 6oz can in half if I find those?

Any help would be appreciated since I'm pretty new to canned food these days and want to do it right.

E: disregard. Did research and figured this out. Now to find good wholesalers for the brands I liked.

Bremma fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 12, 2017

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
HI guys. I haven't been on SA in Awhile. Dig-Dug is now 18! And I have moved to feeding her the refrigerated logs that look and smell like bologna. lol. HOW can I deny my little Jack Russell? She is 18 years old and completely blind, I think she has a bad tooth but I wasn't going to take her to get put under anesthesia at 17, so I'm not doing it now.

She had a seizure the other day and it freaked me out so much that I didn't talk to anyone for a couple days because they were going to ask me, "What have you been up to?" etc. and I just didn't feel like doing a whole explanation about the entire day that I was snuggling my dog like a crazy cat lady.

Diggy was sitting on the ottoman while I was eating my lunch on the couch and she was MEH begging, like not being an rear end, but she was interested.. she's so drat old I let her do whatever.

I was watching tv and I had a fork in my left hand and a water glass in my other hand and she was sitting up on her butt and out of nowhere her eyes went weird and she just slow-mo toppled backwards. It feels really funny now like it did look super weird and it would be funny to watch. At the time though, what I saw was Diggy just toppled backwards for no reason with all her legs out like a dead cow, and she hit her head on the end table and then toppled to the carpet and started screaming. It lasted less than 2-3 seconds, because I threw everything I was holding and jumped down there and by then she'd stopped screaming. Then she got up, poo poo on the floor real fast and ran away outside like she was still trying to be a good girl and go outside :?

If my Biblically old dog is having seizures, is she having them when I'm not here, and is that why there is poop in the kitchen now? And OMG my dog is SO OLD and confusing.

I know this is a food thread. SO i would like to add that even at her advanced age, she is totally down for a little bit of hot dog and a little bit of NOT_TOO SPICY cheeses, a bite or two of any sausage, but she can take a little bit of scrambled egg with ham mixed in, but not a whole egg or she barfs everywhere every time. So much barf. It's SO MILKY! Gross

She will eat that refrigerated stuff in the log, but she prefers the cheaper chicken to the beef and she prefers the crappier cheaper drugstore flats to the more expensive ones (but i have to cut up the pate ones into chunks) I would feed her straight bacon at this point if it agreed with her, but I unfortunately still have to comply with some basic food laws lest she puke all over the place. :downs:

Good luck to all other old-dog people. I am just doing my best man and I love her more than I love rainbows and poo poo. Shut up and don't make me get all feely on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Umm. I'm kind of sorry about that sad and rambly off-topic post there. I hadn't talked to anyone in a few days and my dog of 18 years that I've had for the majority of my life had a seizure in front of me and I had to ramble about it somewhere, and you guys took the hit. Please don't be too mad. Thanks. :downs: