Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's no Neil Gaiman.

There was a guy on these forums who described Neil Gaiman as "someone who is such a good genre writer he has transcended it's limitations and become a very bad normal writer".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Josef bugman posted:

There was a guy on these forums who described Neil Gaiman as "someone who is such a good genre writer he has transcended it's limitations and become a very bad normal writer".

Sandman remains a masterpiece, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you ever need to lose all respect for Alan Moore in a hurry just peruse a summary of "Lost Girls". Actually physically holding and reading it rends you insane so dont do that.

Not a specific negative but its the only book i know of where a gay man rapes a straight man using only his butt

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
This is pretty old hat to point out but Nightmare at 20,000 Feet has aged really hilariously in almost every way, from people dressing up to go on an airplane to the plaid curtains to the fact that a dude is open carrying a revolver on a plane. And like pretty much everything made before the 80s the smoking game is insane.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's no Neil Gaiman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-KKYgmtqqg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:captainpop:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Comstar posted:

A hit Australian TV series that went for 7 years is never going to be shown again after the lead actor was convicted of two counts of sexual intercourse with a child, seven counts of indecent assault upon a person under the age of 16 and one count of committing an indecent act. The final episode everyone dies from a bank robbers bomb which is kinda dark for a sitcom (which the characters mentioned).

There's an American show called "Seventh Heaven" that will never be aired again for similar reasons. The show was long over by the time this came out, but it was a favorite of family/religious networks in reruns.

Oops.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Arthur is full of weird celebrity cameos that have aged terribly, whether due to irrelevance or death or controversy or how horrifying the animal-ized likenesses are.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guy Mann posted:

Arthur is full of weird celebrity cameos that have aged terribly, whether due to irrelevance or death or controversy or how horrifying the animal-ized likenesses are.

Backstreet Boys, ?, Lance Armstrong and ?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Philip Seymour Hoffman (I think) and Matt Damon.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Barudak posted:

If you ever need to lose all respect for Alan Moore in a hurry just peruse a summary of "Lost Girls". Actually physically holding and reading it rends you insane so dont do that.

Not a specific negative but its the only book i know of where a gay man rapes a straight man using only his butt

That might well be the stupidest, gooniest summary I've ever read. Embarrassing.

Guy Mann posted:

This is pretty old hat to point out but Nightmare at 20,000 Feet has aged really hilariously in almost every way, from people dressing up to go on an airplane to the plaid curtains to the fact that a dude is open carrying a revolver on a plane. And like pretty much everything made before the 80s the smoking game is insane.

I don't really know if I would count Nightmare as agin poorly. Since it's still well done and relatively entertaining it's more like a time capsule to me.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Backstreet Boys, ?, Lance Armstrong and ?
Don't know about the second but the last is Matt Damon lmao

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Second from the top's Roger Ebert, I think. Though I'd kinda prefer if it were Hoffman, tbh

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Rangpur posted:

Second from the top's Roger Ebert, I think. Though I'd kinda prefer if it were Hoffman, tbh

Good news, you're wrong and it was

(Why is there an Arthur fan wiki?)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

someone awful. posted:

Good news, you're wrong and it was

(Why is there an Arthur fan wiki?)

Everything has at least one fan wiki.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Why is one of the backstreet boys black in Arthur

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Backstreet's black, alright

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

There's an American show called "Seventh Heaven" that will never be aired again for similar reasons. The show was long over by the time this came out, but it was a favorite of family/religious networks in reruns.

Oops.

Are you being ironic or did you not know 7th Heaven was back on the air within a year of being shelved?

I hate the fact I even know this, but my wife likes the worst television and the adventures of the Camden family still occasionally pops up in our TiVo library.

I think Cosby is even back on some of those niche channels. It helps that it probably costs next to nothing to rebroadcast at this point.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Krispy Kareem posted:

Are you being ironic or did you not know 7th Heaven was back on the air within a year of being shelved?

I hate the fact I even know this, but my wife likes the worst television and the adventures of the Camden family still occasionally pops up in our TiVo library.

I think Cosby is even back on some of those niche channels. It helps that it probably costs next to nothing to rebroadcast at this point.

The only Cosby episode they should ever air is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDRwiSZSBg

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Actually, I was seriously unaware of that. What an extraordinarily depressing turn of events.

I did know that Cosby is still on, though -- I'll occasionally see it on the channel guide in the super-high cable numbers.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Guy Mann posted:

The Great Gatsby has aged horribly. A WWI veteran would not be that young!

Hamlet has aged horribly. No one says "thee" and "thou" anymore!

The Odyssey has aged horribly. No one uses wooden boats to travel that far!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The Great Gatsby has aged horribly. A WWI veteran would not be that young!

Hamlet has aged horribly. No one says "thee" and "thou" anymore!

The Odyssey has aged horribly. No one uses wooden boats to travel that far!

Look, I tried pointing out how silly things like complaining about Seinfeld not working if they had cell phones are but that ship has sailed so :dealwithit:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Actually, I was seriously unaware of that. What an extraordinarily depressing turn of events.

I did know that Cosby is still on, though -- I'll occasionally see it on the channel guide in the super-high cable numbers.

And TLC keeps trying to find a way to reboot the Duggars.

Peak TV indeed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Josef bugman posted:

Ahahahahahahaha.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It's not just the Duggars. Almost every show that follows a family on that channel ends up with something hosed up about them, and it's usually pedophilia.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bobjr posted:

It's not just the Duggars. Almost every show that follows a family on that channel ends up with something hosed up about them, and it's usually pedophilia.

When I was a kid, the one TV channel in Israel had a show called "Family Connection", which was kind of a proto-reality show, with families coming on to talk to a therapist about their parenting issues. Eventually they would have actors play the parts instead of showing the family, for the sake of their privacy. (Kind of the anti-Jerry Springer, in that sense).

Since then one of the therapists on the show was convicted of molesting and assaulting some of his clients, while another turns out to have raped a minor under his care for 12 years, although this was exposed only after his death, so he was never put on trial. I don't think it's really been big in reruns, but I doubt I could watch the show the same way now anyway.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Oops.

It's okay, here's the only good part of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJngfdSj6s4

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ziv Zulander posted:

It's okay, here's the only good part of the show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJngfdSj6s4

The only thing I remember about the show at this point is that one of the daughters wanted out of her contract so badly she posed nude and the mom accidentally made Jewish mom eat something that wasn't kosher at a potluck.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Guy Mann posted:

Look, I tried pointing out how silly things like complaining about Seinfeld not working if they had cell phones are but that ship has sailed so :dealwithit:

That ship has sailed so hard it lost half it's crew to Scylla, got caught up in a hurricane and got thrown straight into Charybdis.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Amazing.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

54 40 or gently caress posted:

That might well be the stupidest, gooniest summary I've ever read. Embarrassing.
It's creepy and gross.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Ignoring how one feels about odd dialog choices or non-standard sexual behavoirs, the actual conceit and content of Lost Girls serves no interesting purpose and reads like a totemic tijuana bible. Reinterpreting a work like Wizard of Oz as an all you can handle fuckfest both reveals no new interesting areas of exploration when discussing the work since its based on literally nothing within the text but also actively diminishes a work with a female lead.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Aug 20, 2017

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Barudak posted:

Ignoring how one feels about odd dialog choices or non-standard sexual behavoirs, the actual conceit and content of Lost Girls serves no interesting purpose and reads like a totemic tijuana bible. Reinterpreting a work like Wizard of Oz as an all you can handle fuckfest both reveals no new interesting areas of exploration when discussing the work since its based on literally nothing within the text but also actively diminishes a work with a female lead.

At some point in the 90s Allan Moore jusT permanently relocated up his own rear end. So much of his early stuff is really great, then just one long wet 25 year fart.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The only Cosby episode they should ever air is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBDRwiSZSBg

The Cosby show used to creep me the gently caress out as a kid and now I'm just totally confused how no one else was picking up those vibes at the time. The dude was pretty obviously some sort of serial killer or rapist just from the content he chose to show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx09p2la90

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

The Cosby show used to creep me the gently caress out as a kid and now I'm just totally confused how no one else was picking up those vibes at the time. The dude was pretty obviously some sort of serial killer or rapist just from the content he chose to show

Maybe I’m just old, but Cosby was a huge part of my childhood with Fat Albert and Picture Pages. I never watched much Cosby Show because the Simpsons were on at the same time (which is a crazy thought). Still, in retrospect I don’t see anything alluding to his rapist self. He did a pretty fantastic job keeping that part of himself hidden. It sucks that it’s tainted everything else he did because I don’t think there was another mainstream TV Black actor/comedian as popular as he was in the 70’s and 80’s. Remove his stuff and you take away a significant chunk of all Black material from that time frame.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Maybe I’m just old, but Cosby was a huge part of my childhood with Fat Albert and Picture Pages. I never watched much Cosby Show because the Simpsons were on at the same time (which is a crazy thought). Still, in retrospect I don’t see anything alluding to his rapist self. He did a pretty fantastic job keeping that part of himself hidden. It sucks that it’s tainted everything else he did because I don’t think there was another mainstream TV Black actor/comedian as popular as he was in the 70’s and 80’s. Remove his stuff and you take away a significant chunk of all Black material from that time frame.

Well there was OJ Sim... gently caress

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Aesop Poprock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx09p2la90

Do you have some other clips to prove this aside from a dream sequence where he gives birth to a giant sandwich and a drink?

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing i know about Alan Moore is that he dabbles in the occult. He became a magician at the age of 40. I watched a Youtube clip of him talking about magic and art. I too practice sorcery so i have a soft spot for this. Havent read any of his actual works though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

LoEG is some extraordinary trash, but it did give us Jess Nevins, a research librarian who specializes in the pulp era that went from documenting all the references on Geocities to publishing books and writing backmatter for better works, and getting people to go back and read otherwise forgotten stories from the era Moore was dabbling in.

oldpainless posted:

Do you have some other clips to prove this aside from a dream sequence where he gives birth to a giant sandwich and a drink?

More like olddreamless.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I know this is two pages back, but... gently caress, this entire show was the first thing that popped into my head.

I watched Saved by the Bell for the first time as an adult about two years ago because of a podcast, and that show has so goddamn much, not including all the technology stuff (eg. Zack's brick cell phone).

A lot of stereotyping, sociopathy, gay panic, reefer madness, etc. Not to mention Jessie infamously becoming addicted to caffeine pills.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

funmanguy posted:

At some point in the 90s Allan Moore jusT permanently relocated up his own rear end. So much of his early stuff is really great, then just one long wet 25 year fart.
I find Moore absolutely hilarious because of his constant boo-hooing about Grant Morrison ripping him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I love that he loving hates The Watchmen film, which I believe he even boycotted despite it being a pretty faithful adaptation even though they made the ending better