Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My three perfect sons.

E: Also I need to watch more danged Godzilla movies. What are the best ones between the original and 2014?

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

My three perfect sons.

E: Also I need to watch more danged Godzilla movies. What are the best ones between the original and 2014?

Final Wars IMO but that's really a love it or hate it film. It's not the most serious of takes.

Original Mechagodzilla is pretty good.

The Return of Godzilla is boss.

I still need to watch vs Hedorah.

vs Mothra and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster are both great.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) owns owns owns. It's the last Godzilla movie with Ishiro Honda at the helm.

Also make sure you watch Rodan (1956) and Mothra (1961) even though they're technically not Godzilla movies.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 20, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It cannot be stated enough, if you're a fan of Shin and the original, check out Return of Godzilla.

I'm still not sure if Shin or Return is better, and I think it might be impossible for one to be better than the other.

They're equal but opposite movies.

EVERY direction one zigs, the other zags, while still remaining extremely good, extremely similar films.

Shin has only a leg up on it being more topical, and just give it a few years for that to fade away.

Otherwise they're both politically charged revival films where Godzilla is the sole threat, and it is about how the modern world responds to such an impossible threat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Burkion posted:

It cannot be stated enough, if you're a fan of Shin and the original, check out Return of Godzilla.

I'm still not sure if Shin or Return is better, and I think it might be impossible for one to be better than the other.

They're equal but opposite movies.

EVERY direction one zigs, the other zags, while still remaining extremely good, extremely similar films.

Shin has only a leg up on it being more topical, and just give it a few years for that to fade away.

Otherwise they're both politically charged revival films where Godzilla is the sole threat, and it is about how the modern world responds to such an impossible threat.

I have a huge soft spot for Godzilla '84, but it's definitely a flawed film. Though there's something about Godzilla and 80's Japanese skyscraper architecture that just works really well aesthetically. And I love how the whole film feels like it takes place at midnight.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Mantis42 posted:

That wasn't true for the original film though. Godzilla didn't become the savior of mankind until later and King Kong was always an exploited victim.

That's why I said modern incarnation you idiot

Beeez
May 28, 2012
How much of a "heroic defender" either one of them is is debatable anyway. Aside from Kong respecting Brie Larson's character after she tries to help that water buffalo, both Godzilla and Kong seem to be indifferent to humans for the most part. The Legendary Godzilla is a protector of the Earth, but not of people in particular.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla is slightly more than indifferent.

He actively saves Brody twice, which may or may not be tied into him being his dad (and possibly his mom) and never goes out of his way to harm humans or human things, even when they're attacking him.

The bridge destruction was almost entirely on accident, and he never retaliated when the humans did fire on him.

Meanwhile, Kong absolutely retaliated and went out of his way to do so in some cases. Kong is, weirdly enough, the anti hero of the two.

that's not to say Godzilla doesn't have a higher body count. Godzilla absolutely kills more people than Kong, it's just that none of it is directly. It's all a consequence of him acting, of him moving. Think of how many people die just because he made landfall to fight the male muto.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
According to the script, he does fight back at the Golden Gate bridge. The fact that it cuts away means that we can't be sure if that's true in the actual movie, but that was the intent in the script. Also, Godzilla isn't literally Joe Brody. I think SMG just means they're ideologically the same, and SMG's readings are just that, not something that can be taken as axiomatically true.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Godzilla seems nonplussed by the Golden Gate Bridge before he's attacked and it becomes the path of least resistance, there seems to be a subtle theme of him slowly becoming more aware of what the teeny things around him are doing, and that they are capable of affecting things on his scale, like destroying the MUTO nest.

On the other hand, Kong is paying attention to the humans from the start, especially when they start blowing up his home for no apparent reason.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Beeez posted:

According to the script, he does fight back at the Golden Gate bridge. The fact that it cuts away means that we can't be sure if that's true in the actual movie, but that was the intent in the script. Also, Godzilla isn't literally Joe Brody. I think SMG just means they're ideologically the same, and SMG's readings are just that, not something that can be taken as axiomatically true.

As far as the movie is concerned, they are effectively the same character.

The man Joe Brody dies, and is reborn with the power to right the wrongs against him.

Of course it's not literal, but in every other sense that is what happened. They make that super explicit.

It's why Joe Brody could not work in the rest of the movie. He would have NO purpose. Either Serizawa does everything he would do but better, or Godzilla is the one taking up his gently caress You Mutos cause. Godzilla and his son.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I'm not denying any of that, I haven't seen that movie in years so I don't remember all the details anyway. I'm just saying the fact that it's not literal means that it probably isn't guiding Godzilla's motivation as a character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Good subtext works perfectly well while also having perfectly plausible if boring actual explanations for why what goes on goes on in the movie.

The MUTOs seem to be very well received despite being quite different from the 'classic' kind of monsters, being of a more biology-informed design than the usual heavily thematic Kaiju. Which as a fan of weird prehistoric critters I have to say I love, but still. It helps that it informs their characterisation and behaviour, and even gives them a sympathetic moment with their affectionate meeting.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Inescapable Duck posted:

Godzilla seems nonplussed by the Golden Gate Bridge before he's attacked and it becomes the path of least resistance, there seems to be a subtle theme of him slowly becoming more aware of what the teeny things around him are doing, and that they are capable of affecting things on his scale, like destroying the MUTO nest.

On the other hand, Kong is paying attention to the humans from the start, especially when they start blowing up his home for no apparent reason.

Kong only attacks Sam Jackson and co in self defense, he is otherwise indifferent to humans. The reason why I called him a heroic character is specifically is comparison to older Kong movies. In Skull Island he's a protector of the natives while in the old films he's a feared god, worshipped and sacrificed to by savages.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The sad thing is, the original Kong doesn't even kill his sacrifices as far as we know.

It's just that no one can survive on Skull Island for more than a minute without some horror attacking them. It doesn't matter how well Kong treats you if the moment he turns his back on you six different super monsters want you dead for the crime of breathing.

I mentioned this in the comic thread, but the original Skull Island is hilariously murderous. The new one feels like an ecosystem, with things that just live there and there's only a few problem children hanging out besides the Skullcrawlers.

The original Skull Island is a horrific nightmare island where, if you go beyond the gate, you are almost certainly going to die because literally everyone wants to kill you. Nothing is benign, nothing is friendly, and all of it is always pissed off and hates you all the time.

You can't fall in a hole without finding fifty fresh horror spiders ready to tear you to pieces.

50 people enter that side of the island. Two of them come back. That might be why the new Kong is more heroic than the original- fucker can just relax for a few minutes without being constantly challenged by literally every motherfucker on the island.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Skull Island really draws way more on the Toho films, but even there he's less an 'anti-hero' or whatever and more just some poor schmuck who humans keep picking on.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Burkion posted:

The sad thing is, the original Kong doesn't even kill his sacrifices as far as we know.

It's just that no one can survive on Skull Island for more than a minute without some horror attacking them. It doesn't matter how well Kong treats you if the moment he turns his back on you six different super monsters want you dead for the crime of breathing.

I mentioned this in the comic thread, but the original Skull Island is hilariously murderous. The new one feels like an ecosystem, with things that just live there and there's only a few problem children hanging out besides the Skullcrawlers.

The original Skull Island is a horrific nightmare island where, if you go beyond the gate, you are almost certainly going to die because literally everyone wants to kill you. Nothing is benign, nothing is friendly, and all of it is always pissed off and hates you all the time.

You can't fall in a hole without finding fifty fresh horror spiders ready to tear you to pieces.

50 people enter that side of the island. Two of them come back. That might be why the new Kong is more heroic than the original- fucker can just relax for a few minutes without being constantly challenged by literally every motherfucker on the island.
Yeah the original Skull Island is amazing (I assume you're talking about the '33 version). I love how even a freaking brontosaurus starts chowing down on people. I don't know what kind ecosystem can support that level of killing but it must be a fascinating place :)

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!
Just a heads up for anyone that has Comet TV in their area. They're going to be doing a Godzilla marathon on Mon. Sept. 4th.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm watchin' vs. Mechagodzilla and oh boy, these old dubs.

E: Who would have thought that the monster in the prophecy would be the monster that we're all aware exists already.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the 2006 Skull Island apparently being literally crumbling and shrinking (makes sense with how the geography is portrayed) from its original size, according to supplementary material, causing all the megafauna to enter a brutal death spiral of natural selection at its worst, not to mention the humans on the island literally clinging to the edges as it falls apart.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So, all the Godzilla movies I've seen have either been the original or separate reboots, so it was kinda weird to see a movie where everyone just knows who Big G is and that he and Anguirus are friends.

Anguirus.... :smith:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Anguirus.... :smith:

you should check out Godzilla Vs Gigan.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

SleepCousinDeath posted:

you should check out Godzilla Vs Gigan.

gently caress yeah.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:v:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't get it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I don't get it.

He's using the same phrase which Pope John Paul II was received on his first visit to Mexico. The phrase roughly translates to "Godzilla, Brother, you're already Mexican"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They were filming for King of the Monsters in Mexico City.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Ah Okay I was aware of everything but the Pope connection.

Now I'm imagining the Dia de los Muertos scene from BvS but with Godzilla.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kong really doesn't ever attack the humans in Skull Island unless they are a direct threat to him or the island. He only takes out the choppers at the beginning because they are dropping bombs and Kong is worried they'll wake up the crawlers.

And he obviously let Reilly's character and the Japanese pilot live in the prologue scene, he's got them dead to rights and they ended up surviving so he must have decided they were no threat to him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Kong really doesn't ever attack the humans in Skull Island unless they are a direct threat to him or the island. He only takes out the choppers at the beginning because they are dropping bombs and Kong is worried they'll wake up the crawlers.

And he obviously let Reilly's character and the Japanese pilot live in the prologue scene, he's got them dead to rights and they ended up surviving so he must have decided they were no threat to him.

Yeah though my point was, Kong does interact with humanity in aggressive ways when he needs to.

Which is good, but it's in contrast to Godzilla whose only direct interactions with humanity are to save Brodey twice and to share a knowing look with him.

Kong is the one most likely to go rogue and be the instigator in Godzilla VS Kong

Plus there's the sacred time honored tradition of the Hero of the movie coming first in a VS title. Americans don't understand that rule too often, but the Godzilla films definitely did.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Burkion posted:

Plus there's the sacred time honored tradition of the Hero of the movie coming first in a VS title. Americans don't understand that rule too often, but the Godzilla films definitely did.

:colbert:

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I had avoided Gamera the Brave because I'd heard bad things about it, but now I want to see it and apparently the blu-ray that I passed up for $10 a thousand times is now out of print and impossible to find :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RichterIX posted:

I had avoided Gamera the Brave because I'd heard bad things about it, but now I want to see it and apparently the blu-ray that I passed up for $10 a thousand times is now out of print and impossible to find :(

:same:

You figure they would have reprinted it in 2014.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The primary name that movie is known under is Mothra VS Godzilla

You would have a point with Godzilla VS Mothra Battle for Earth though, but that's because the true hero, Battra, is not in the title at all

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Batman v Superman gives the real hero second billing, so I think it's just a matter of whatever the producers think rolls off the tongue better/looks better on a poster, as does Freddy vs Jason.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

One thing I'm dreading about Godzilla VS Kong is hearing lots of people say "verse" instead of "versus." Fuckers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

K. Waste posted:

Batman v Superman gives the real hero second billing, so I think it's just a matter of whatever the producers think rolls off the tongue better/looks better on a poster, as does Freddy vs Jason.

That's probably more to do with Batman being more popular than Superman. The moneymaker goes first.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

One thing I'm dreading about Godzilla VS Kong is hearing lots of people say "verse" instead of "versus." Fuckers.

vee ess

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Godzilla v. Kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'll take that over verse.