Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Trying for trophy cleanup on my tails run. Is the boat one bugged on ps4? I've seen other people get it but even when I follow their routes it refuses to pop for me. Heck I've even ridden on extra boats in some cases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Evil Eagle posted:

faster metallic madness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZv4wAjIJFk

I wonder if sub 1 minute is possible...

This is super impressive, especially considering the number of hazards and possible route changes.

I will never be this good, even though I undoubtedly and objectively love Sonic more than you ever can or will.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Let's be entirely fair here, those rotating stairs in the rising Mega Mack section have claimed countless lives over the years. Now a new generation gets to experience my childhood pain :v:.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ceramics posted:

This is my first 2d sonic and I think I'm pretty bad, gotten at least half a dozen game overs in chemical zone haha.

Games gorgeous though and the soundtrack is amazing.

This happened to me a few years ago. Keep at it, it does take a little work to get the hang of Sonic!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Paul.Power posted:

Let's be entirely fair here, those rotating stairs in the rising Mega Mack section have claimed countless lives over the years. Now a new generation gets to experience my childhood pain :v:.

I kept dying at that bit too.

Oddly enough, this was the exact reason i never owned sonic 2 as a kid. I played a friends copy and loving hated chemical plant zone.

In hindsight it's a bit weird i had sonic 1 and 3&K but never 2 (which is considered amazing).

In short, gently caress chemical plant zone. loving undewater sections.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't understand why we're being mean to people who are new to Sonic?????

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Probably due to it being a reminder that more poo poo 3D sonic games have been made than great 2D original ones.

Sure Sonic might be stale as gently caress if we were on Sonic (2D) 20 by now like the loving mario games, but at least they've have probably been 20 good games.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Kin posted:

I kept dying at that bit too.

Oddly enough, this was the exact reason i never owned sonic 2 as a kid. I played a friends copy and loving hated chemical plant zone.

In hindsight it's a bit weird i had sonic 1 and 3&K but never 2 (which is considered amazing).

In short, gently caress chemical plant zone. loving undewater sections.

Labyrinth zone was my underwater section nightmare. Specifically the boss, when I was a kid I could never catch him, then the rising water would pretty much seal the deal if the little spears hadn't already.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Me, watching Polygon preview of Sonic Mania: Holy poo poo how are these guys so bad at a freaking Sonic game.
Me, after playing Sonic Mania for 30min: Holy poo poo how am I so bad at a freaking Sonic game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Titanic Monarch zone is bad

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Incorrect.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Everyone gushes about the Chemical Plant Zone boss but there's not enough love for the Hydrocity Zone boss

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
The Flying Battery boss is beating me and I only found that one Special Stage ring in Green Hill so far :smith:

Also holy gently caress I can't play Blue Spheres anymore (I want that 20 medal extra tho)

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Szmitten posted:

The Flying Battery boss is beating me and I only found that one Special Stage ring in Green Hill so far :smith:

I stood directly underneath it and it couldn't do a thing to me

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Trying for trophy cleanup on my tails run. Is the boat one bugged on ps4? I've seen other people get it but even when I follow their routes it refuses to pop for me. Heck I've even ridden on extra boats in some cases!

I got it for coincidentally riding 3 boats on my first run. :shrug:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

is clearly what a naive person would say because Titanic Monarch is in fact good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I am awful at these special stages :(

edit: There's a thing this game does that annoys me a little, and it's how it likes to booby trap item boxes. Either in terms of putting something that will hurt you right next to them or make it so you can easily fly right past a power up and not be able to stop and go back and get it.

Also gonna be real, I dunno why people wanted Lava Reef back. It's by far my least favorite zone so far, and I wasn't really a fan of it in the original game. I'd rather have had Sky Sanctuary or Sandopolis (yes pyramid and all)

These complaints don't stop the game from being phenomenal though

edit: Lol what is this Lava Reef boss wtf

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 20, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Sky Sanctuary Mania edition is a thought that is too pure for this world.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Macaluso posted:

Also gonna be real, I dunno why people wanted Lava Reef back.
I firmly believe that the entire zone was brought back just for the Knuckles boss fight.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I firmly believe that the entire zone was brought back just for the Knuckles boss fight.

I think that has to be the case too. Lava Reef was never one of my favorite levels but the rest of the selections make sense. Ice Cap is a very popular level but isn't included because legal reasons.

Frankly I was expecting the Death Egg as the last level and I'm a little surprised they didn't do it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lava Reef was worth a stage just for a Tee Lopes music remix.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

The only thing I truly didn't like in Mania was the OOZ 2 boss. I think that one goes a little beyond "git gud" and is really difficult to learn and beat. I thought all the other bosses were pretty fair.

I would take an Ice Cap with redone copyright-safe music. Especially if it were Tee Lopes. I'm not sure if other fans would be as understanding, though.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I absolutely loved what he did with act 2.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

azurite posted:

The only thing I truly didn't like in Mania was the OOZ 2 boss. I think that one goes a little beyond "git gud" and is really difficult to learn and beat. I thought all the other bosses were pretty fair.

See I thought OOZ's boss was great and a cool evolution to the original. Lava Reef's required a lot of waiting and the space you have for hitting the guy was pretty small I felt. You either hopefully hit him when he's charging or you have to try and hit between the swinging ball and his... badnikcycle? Overwall Lava Reef was a huge disappointment, music aside. Also one of the secret rings I went into the room only to have the floor collapse so I couldn't jump into it. Booby trap!!! :mad:

Metallic Madness Zone though :aaa: I love the foreground/background gimmick

edit: UM THE ACT 2 GIMMICK :swoon:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I am awful at these special stages :(

Same. :( I've got four of the seven emeralds. Stage five is kicking my butt. Any tips?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

THE FINAL BOSS OF THIS STAGE :swoon: :swoon:

edit: :lol: This fight is AMAZING

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 20, 2017

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

End boss spoilers:

I was disappointed at the extra boss you get for collecting all the emeralds. Like, it's just one boss and that's it. And the boss isn't even that great! I was hoping for an extra level or something cool. The ending wasn't really good either, not that the plot of this game was substantial but I felt unsatisfied afterwards.

I guess I wish there was more to this game. I despise the blue sphere levels and once I clear the final one I will not be replaying them. The only thing I haven't done is played through as Knuckles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

azurite posted:

Short of it bugging out, I literally don't know how anyone finds this boss hard. What is there to learn? It's basically the same as the old oil ocean boss. Just take out the shooters and don't be greedy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bizarre deformity posted:

End boss spoilers:

I was disappointed at the extra boss you get for collecting all the emeralds. Like, it's just one boss and that's it. And the boss isn't even that great! I was hoping for an extra level or something cool. The ending wasn't really good either, not that the plot of this game was substantial but I felt unsatisfied afterwards.

sonic forces is coming soon and i'm sure will have all the overwrought writing and bad voice acting you want lol

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't played the game yet, but it kinda pisses me off that for the second new Sonic game with a solid influx of nostalgia, they still didn't include the objectively best robotic Sonic, Mecha Sonic, the one from Sonic 2.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

CowboyAndy posted:

Same. :( I've got four of the seven emeralds. Stage five is kicking my butt. Any tips?

5 was the roughest for me if it's any consolation. For better or worse, the only real tips are the same for all of them:
- Collect a lot of rings early
- Get blue spheres until mach 3 and then ignore them
- Cut as many corners as possible, even if you need to clip the grass a bit

Alternatively:
- Do the bunny hop thing that one video upthread had and get all of the emeralds in under 2 minutes total

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

MikeJF posted:

I like the Act 1 version if Lava Reef. About halfway through you get this super 80s synth.

Studiopolis and Metallic Madness are probably both my favorite levels and have my favorite music. I really like the bosses in Studiopolis too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't played the game yet, but it kinda pisses me off that for the second new Sonic game with a solid influx of nostalgia, they still didn't include the objectively best robotic Sonic, Mecha Sonic, the one from Sonic 2.

They sorta did

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Short of it bugging out, I literally don't know how anyone finds this boss hard. What is there to learn? It's basically the same as the old oil ocean boss. Just take out the shooters and don't be greedy.

Recovery from that is a right pain in the arse though and it's kinda hard to feel that things are fair when "Greedy" consitutes getting a single hit in without getting hit by the vulcans

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

That doesn't count, that thing can't possibly kill you dozens of times like Mecha Sonic can. :colbert:.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah but thats the 8bit master system mecha sonic

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The crt filter modes were a pleasant surprise.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Emerald tips:

Collect blue spheres early. You don't want to let the UFO get away. Then start boning up on rings. Jumping lets you take turns higher. At Mach 3, going off-road isn't a big deal.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

corn in the bible posted:

sonic forces is coming soon and i'm sure will have all the overwrought writing and bad voice acting you want lol

Hey Generations was an excellent game, if Forces is its successor then I am looking forward to it.

I wasn't mad that the plot was non-existent, just that the reward for getting all the emeralds was lackluster.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Does Ice Cap have a copyright problem? I thought it was just based on that Jetzons song, and I can't see them being that expensive to buy off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also knuckles can't jump high enough to reliably get back on the platforms which is annoying