Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
#10 Most Loved - 31 points

Carl Edwards, Jr.
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: September 7, 2015

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 1
#3 votes: 2

What's to love? The Stringbean Slinger (do people actually call him this?) has been slumping pretty hard lately, but fortunately he has built up a metric ton of good will. He pitched in the tenth inning of Game 7 of the 2016 World Series and gave us all a heart attack by giving up the Rajai Davis homer, but it still turned out okay.

Of the many extremely short videos the MLB YouTube has posted of Edwards making hitters look foolish, I think I like this one the most, because of the intensity of his reaction. :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdFSVMszgU0

He also skipped out on a Trump White House visit to see the dinosaur museums instead. I like to think that it's because he hates Trump as much as the rest of us, but Arrieta declined the White House visit too so who knows? He seems like a cool dude though.

edit: He also wrote this, which goes into detail about his background and his best friendship with Will Bedenbaugh (his catcher in Little League and high school). Warning: tears will be jerked.

quote:

10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
14. Andrew McCutchen, Marcus Stroman
15. Kris Bryant
16. Willson Contreras, Anthony Rizzo, José Bautista
17. Dexter Fowler, Clayton Kershaw, Mookie Betts
18. Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sánchez
19. Roberto Osuna, Yoenis Céspedes
20. Kyle Hendricks, Buster Posey
21. Brandon McCarthy
22. Robinson Canó, Edwin Encarnación
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Very important CJ read: https://www.theplayerstribune.com/carl-edwards-jr-cubs-fly-the-w/

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
The #2 spot on both of my lists ended up in the #10 spot on both of the final lists. :stare:

I'm pretty sure I posted this earlier in the thread, but CJ Edwards' Players Tribune article is a must-read. And make sure you have some tissues at the ready. :cry:

Also, Matt Garza told Jeff Samardzija to pitch his way out of Chicago and look how well that worked out for him. :rolleyes:

e: beaten to the Tribune article by seconds from within my own household! :argh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I'm convinced that Google just hides poo poo like this from me when I'm trying to do posting research. Thanks for posting it.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't remember if I voted for Beltre or Stanton but those are good picks for a love list for sure. I haven't been responding because I've been busy but I am still reading the posts and enjoying the gifs!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

I don't remember if I voted for Beltre or Stanton but those are good picks for a love list for sure.

You didn't. :mad:

quote:

I haven't been responding because I've been busy but I am still reading the posts and enjoying the gifs!

I love posting GIFs (and people voted for a lot of really GIF-able players), and I would do nothing but compile GIFs all day if I didn't work in an open floor plan office.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

You didn't. :mad:

I love posting GIFs (and people voted for a lot of really GIF-able players), and I would do nothing but compile GIFs all day if I didn't work in an open floor plan office.

I did, but then forgot to submit.

So whenever Ichiro makes his appearance, everyone mentally add one more vote.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Many, many apologies for the impromptu 2-day hiatus! I don't even have an excuse, I just straight up forgot. All my nice neat write-ups are at home, and I am at work, so I will be back tonight.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Okey dokes, we're back in business. :toot:

#9 Most Hated - 38 points

Matt Bush
Team: Texas Rangers
Debut: May 13, 2016

#1 votes: 1
#3 votes: 1

What's to hate? Matt Bush nearly killed a guy driving drunk after being kicked out of a strip club for trying to get on stage, allegedly settled out of court for less than 5% of what the guy & his family were asking for.

source

quote:

When arrested 45 minutes later, Bush told police he thought he ran over a motorcycle.

"No," Tufano said. "That was me he ran over."

Ten of the 12 ribs on his right side and two on his left were broken. He fractured eight vertebrae. His right lung was collapsed and bruised. He fractured his right cheek bone, his left shoulder blade and his left hand. There was bleeding on his brain. He had road rash on his arms and back.

quote:

Tufano is 77 now [in 2016]. He takes 26 pills a day. Some are to stop the knocking in his head and ringing in his ears. Some are for the pain in his feet, the result of nerve damage. His chest constantly tingles where a tube was once inserted to clear his lungs. He said the sensation is similar to what you feel when your hand falls asleep.

To top it off, Matt Bush wrote a letter of apology to Tony Tufano, one Tufano described as self-centered and "BS".

Oh yeah, and there was ALSO the time he assaulted two literal children in a drunken rage while shouting his own name.

Current Rankings

quote:

9. Matt Bush
10. Matt Garza
11. Yadier Molina
12. Chase Utley
13. John Lackey, Jung-ho Kang
14. Hunter Strickland, Jeff Samardzija
15. Addison Russell
16. Kyle Schwarber, Eric Hosmer, Mike Trout
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
19. Sean Rodriguez, Chris Sale
20. Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo
21. John Jaso, Jeurys Familia, Jonathan Papelbon
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez
25. Jason Heyward, DJ LeMahieu, Miguel Cabrera, Hunter Pence, José Bautista

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 24, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#9 Most Loved - 42 points

Bartolo Colón
Team: Minnesota Twins
Debut: April 4, 1997

What's to love? Bartolo "more like BartOLDo" Colón is still in the majors. That in itself is an accomplishment. He has done it all -- All-Star games, a Cy Young in 2005, PEDs, a secret family, you name it. He has lived the scandalous life of a pro athlete and he has a few accolades to show for it.

At the age of 43, Bartolo Colón murdered James Shields became the oldest player to record his first home run, inspiring one of the most impassioned calls I've ever heard. As an aside, I'm pretty sure he was the only Mets starting pitcher in 2016 not to spend any time on the DL. Don't quote me on that though, just watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVFsq9FQBlc

Colón struggled through 2017, earning a 8.14 ERA during his mercifully short tenure with the dastardly Braves. However, on August 4, he became the oldest pitcher since Nolan Ryan to pitch a complete game. Could be a dead cat bounce, could be the second coming of Jamie Moyer. Only time will tell.

Current Rankings

quote:

9. Bartolo Colón
10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
15. Kris Bryant
21. Brandon McCarthy
23. Adrian Gonzalez, Carlos Martinez, Jerry Blevins, Noah Syndergaard, Lorenzo Cain
24. Brandon Crawford, Justin Turner, Yadier Molina, Salvador Pérez, Carlos Correa
25. Kevin Pillar, Devon Travis, Adam Wainwright, Jean Segura, Starling Marte, George Springer, Andrew Miller

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Matt Bush is a true piece of human garbage

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Berzerker posted:

Matt Bush is a true piece of human garbage

I feel proud to have lobbied against him earlier in the thread. I hope I helped raise awareness of how much he sucks.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
He probably would have bumped Aroldis Chapman from the top of my ballot if I'd seen this thread early enough to submit one. What a loving scumbag.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

this is really far up there in my Favourite Baseball Things

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That entire video is beautiful from start to finish, I love it. Speaking of beautiful...

#8 Most Hated - 44 points

Trevor Bauer
Team: Cleveland Indians
Debut: June 28, 2012

#2 votes: 2

What's to hate? I'm going to start with the horrible, HORRIBLE rap. I loving dare you to get through an entire minute of this garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXIQYebH2pg

Trevor Bauer is also totally cool with Chief Wahoo, and it's okay because he has Native American friends.

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/829953955396513794

He's a birther too, and he had the nerve to declare that his teammates agreed with his pro-Trump views! :allears: (in all fairness, they MIGHT agree with him, but he still put their alleged beliefs out there publicly like a loving jackass)

His interactions with fans on Twitter are OCCASIONALLY not terrible, like when he helped a teenage girl with her math homework. His track record is still pretty terrible, as are his opinions.

Current Rankings

quote:

8. Trevor Bauer
9. Matt Bush
10. Matt Garza
11. Yadier Molina
12. Chase Utley
15. Addison Russell
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis
24. Kurt Suzuki, Darren O'Day, Brandon Crawford, Johnny Cueto, Derek Norris, Francisco Rodriguez

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#8 Most Loved - 47 points

Mike Trout
Team: Los Angeles Angels
Debut: July 8, 2011

What's to love? His greatness overwhelms humans and inanimate objects alike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN8zVfSwRHE

Much like Buster Posey, Mike Trout is blandly, consistently magnificent. He's won just about every award he's been eligible for since he got called up in 2011 (no Gold Glove, interestingly enough, but he's got plenty of time to add that notch to his belt). People compare him to Bryce Harper in part, I think, because they wish the more exciting, flamboyant (for lack of a better term) Harper was as good as him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrJyVV1JSM
seen here breaking his belt in an awesome way, unlike certain other players

Nearly six years into his MLB career, he went on the DL for the first time, for a torn thumb UCL. He has not seemed to miss a beat since his July 14 return to the lineup.

credit to shadok for making this image

Have a YouTube of Mike Trout giddily talking about a snowstorm with Jim Cantore of the Weather Channel for good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVg8-Y5t948

I think we can forgive him for not using "Millville Meteor" for his Players Weekend nickname just this once.

Current Rankings

quote:

8. Mike Trout
9. Bartolo Colón
10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
15. Kris Bryant
21. Brandon McCarthy

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
With the last two on the hated list, we're getting into real piece-of-poo poo territory here. :munch:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

With the last two on the hated list, we're getting into real piece-of-poo poo territory here. :munch:

Really hoping Arrieta's the next one up on the hated list, just for the juxtaposition with this post.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

credit to shadok for making this image

I didn't make it, I stole it from beyondtheboxscore.com.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

Really hoping Arrieta's the next one up on the hated list, just for the juxtaposition with this post.

He and Chapman are both pieces of poo poo that helped my team win the World Series

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

shadok posted:

I didn't make it, I stole it from beyondtheboxscore.com.

Oh, well, thank you for reposting it in SAS so that I could more easily use it for my purposes. :keke:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Trevor Bauer also cut his hand repairing a drone which is pretty funny. Also he's a stupid idiot

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

The Berzerker posted:

Trevor Bauer also cut his hand repairing a drone which is pretty funny. Also he's a stupid idiot

That's why I figured people hated him. "Hey, I'm gonna pitch in the World Series! Time for me to fix that drone that I can do literally at any other time! :downs: "

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
When I was researching for his post, I quickly found that cutting himself open on a drone was one of the least offensive things he'd done. I found the crying Jordan face over his wound to be sufficient.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I long for updates. Validate my hatred!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

I long for updates. Validate my hatred!

You got it, buddy! :toot: Also, sorry for my sporadic-ness.

#7 Most Hated - 47 points

Rougned Odor
Team: Texas Rangers
Debut: May 8, 2014

#1 votes: 4
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate? Total dickbag whose error cost the Rangers the 2015 ALDS and who punched Jose Bautista for being awesome. gently caress this guy.

Current Rankings

quote:

7. Rougned Odor
8. Trevor Bauer
9. Matt Bush
10. Matt Garza
11. Yadier Molina
12. Chase Utley
15. Addison Russell
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
So who do you think is going to be the #7 most loved player?

#7 Most Loved - 49 points

Bryce Harper
Team: Washington Nationals
Debut: April 28, 2012

#3 votes: 2

What's to love? One weird trick to NL dominance -- pitchers hate him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jmec0WhuWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg2u3ssFAqM

Okay, that was two tricks, whatever. Anyway, Bryce Harper, 24-year old veteran, owns. He infuriates the mediocre, as tremendous bitch Hunter Strickland handily demonstrated. Even as a Mets fan, though, I can't bring myself to hate him because he's so fun to watch. And speaking of fun,

ESPN The Magazine posted:

“If a guy pimps a homer for a game-winning shot...I mean — sorry.”

[Harper] stops, looks around. The hell with it, he’s all in.

“If a guy pumps his fist at me on the mound, I’m going to go, ‘Yeah, you got me. Good for you. Hopefully I get you next time.’ That’s what makes the game fun. You want kids to play the game, right? What are kids playing these days? Football, basketball. Look at those players — Steph Curry, LeBron James. It’s exciting to see those players in those sports. Cam Newton — I love the way Cam goes about it. He smiles, he laughs. It’s that flair. The dramatic.”

Bryce Harper has the right idea. Also, just as a final aside, his hair looks way less stupid than it ever has.

edit: It is worth noting that Harper's ligaments are apparently made of titanium (this is not the video of his knee injury, just an article with pictures).

Current Rankings

quote:

7. Bryce Harper
8. Mike Trout
9. Bartolo Colón
10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
15. Kris Bryant
21. Brandon McCarthy

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 23, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Wow four 1st place most hated votes and he's only 7th on the list? I can't wait to see how many top votes guys like Chapman and Braun get. :munch:

Harper wasn't on my list, but I was still expecting him to be in the top 5.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Let's not forget Odor complained about dirty slides while being a huuuuge dirty slider and I don't mean the delightful Marcus Stroman kind

Bryce Harper is cool and baseball needs more personality

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

The Berzerker posted:

Bryce Harper is cool and baseball needs more personality

Random fun fact while I'm at work: Brent Honeywell, the dude with the magic screwball from the Futures game in July, took offense to Harper's comments about making baseball fun again. He wasn't quite an old curmudgeonly fuckface like Goose Gossage, but he seemed a little on the salty side. Hopefully he's lightened up a bit since then.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

He just missed.

#6 Most Hated - 51 points

Jake Arrieta
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: June 10, 2010

#1 votes: 2

What's to hate? Has a great rear end (don't click if at work), is a great rear end.

https://twitter.com/JArrieta34/status/796372720015523840

Has stupid opinions about batflips.

Jake Arrieta posted:

Some of that might have to do with the situation, the magnitude of the game and who was doing the bat flipping. If it’s a young guy, he might not have earned that right yet. Somebody might wear the next one in the ribs...One thing that can be negative is when you see kids in Little League doing it.

Is a cretinous loser who gets excited over unnecessary violence.

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634680513081344

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634844057382916

gently caress Jake Arrieta and people like him.

Current Rankings

quote:

6. Jake Arrieta
7. Rougned Odor
8. Trevor Bauer
9. Matt Bush
10. Matt Garza
11. Yadier Molina
12. Chase Utley
15. Addison Russell
17. Dustin Pedroia
18. Brian McCann
22. Carlos Gómez
23. Chris Davis

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 24, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
#6 Most Loved - 54 points

Josh Donaldson
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 30, 2010

#2 votes: 2
#3 votes: 0

What's to love? Handsome, good, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNMYZbRgYzc

Drops it like it's hot.

Obsessed with golf, which he has apparently been playing since he was 1 1/2 years old.

He also LOVES to talk about swings, and he's extremely knowledgeable and passionate about it. He did it last year on MLB Network twice. I don't think I posted the other video last year though. Honestly, I could watch this guy talk about hitting all day. Perhaps he'll be a coach one day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFIlxmlUq08

He keeps his sass levels high, even though his year hasn't been all that great.

https://twitter.com/BringerOfRain20/status/865382655382216708

He's been through some poo poo (his father was abusive toward his mother and ended up imprisoned for 15 years, he had a troubled adolescence as a result, etc.), but he's come out on top and seems to be a fairly well-adjusted human being.

Posting this timeless GIF for good measure.

Current Rankings

quote:

6. Josh Donaldson
7. Bryce Harper
8. Mike Trout
9. Bartolo Colón
10. Carl Edwards, Jr.
11. Giancarlo Stanton
12. Adrián Beltré
13. Yasiel Puig
15. Kris Bryant
21. Brandon McCarthy

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Donaldson is a cool dude and one of the (seemingly) few hitters who can discuss there swing in comprhensible terms. It seems to be a trend across baseball which is cool but he in particular seems to get the fundamentals of how and why his swing works.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Donaldson is a perfect baseball angel. I forgot about all the dumb idiot poo poo Arrieta said about the Strickland/Harper shitfest too.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

I forgot about all the dumb idiot poo poo Arrieta said about the Strickland/Harper shitfest too.

I knew absolutely nothing about it. I found out about it while I was Googling for his post-Trump election quote.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I didn't know about the history with his dad. Especially after reading Ankiel's book I feel like that may be more common in professional baseball than among the general population. Using a repetitive, ritualistic sport as an escape from a hellish childhood environment leading to monomaniacal dedication to the game, I mean.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Gonna guess that 3 of the 4 people who voted for Odor as #1 hated were the ones that gave Donaldson the #1 and #2 favorite votes.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
I must be the fourth because Donaldson didn't even make my favs. I just really don't like Odor.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Gonna guess that 3 of the 4 people who voted for Odor as #1 hated were the ones that gave Donaldson the #1 and #2 favorite votes.

:ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

He's been through some poo poo (his father was abusive toward his mother and ended up imprisoned for 15 years, he had a troubled adolescence as a result, etc.), but he's come out on top and seems to be a fairly well-adjusted human being.

I love Josh Donaldson whole-heartedly, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a well-adjusted human being. He's pure adrenaline-fueled Florida grade A trailer trash, and also one of the smartest scientific athletes baseball has ever seen.

I highly recommend this Toronto Life profile of Donaldson for anyone who wants a little more insight.

I'm reposting this GIF from 2015 because it's my favourite Donaldson GIF of all time, even though he has produced so many amazing ones over the past three years.

• Locked thread