Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Reality Winner posted:

Why is everything so bland? Why voice the main character when he is the most boring person imaginable? Why do all my companions get mad when i pick anything other than the goody two shoes line? Why do the radio stations have so few songs? Why is Preston Garvey making me the boss of the minutemen after knowing me for thirty seconds? Why tie everything in to my son who I personally do not give a poo poo about?

The Voice Direction in this game is stunning. The guy who played Kellog didn't even know he was in a Fallout game until someone asked him about it a few months after the game's release. Listen to Preston when you first meet him picking off raiders the Concord set-piece: HE EMOTES! IT'S WONDERFUL! And then you step insode and HE NEVER EMOTES AGAIN, EVEN AS HE'S TELLING YOU HE'S CONTEMPLATING SUICIDE. Brian T. Delaney's (Male Sole Survivor VA) delivery is so wooden that I'm convinced he either dropped after a cold read of the script and they just kept it anyway, they ran out of money and kept the cold reading, or the sound department done goofed and put the wrong files into the game. To her credit, Courtenay Taylor (Female Sole Survivor VA) does a MUCH better job, and even manages to salvage a few scenes though sheer force of charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I like male survivors little grunts and "Hello!" when he's drunk.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Even though she's just a pop-culture reference, Cricket should have been the main character.

Fallout 5: The Quest For More Jet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Do you mean to Men in Black's "Noisy Cricket" or something else?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, I think the next game should just have a personal overarching story that includes a journey across a world with lots of small areas with their own little stories rather than having a big, epic, regionwide effect. I genuinely don't think they can really handle bug stories.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 18, 2017

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Remora posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bethesda for the gameplay, Obsidian for the story and setting.

Actually, also obsidian for the gameplay.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Reality Winner posted:

The engine is really good. Combat is pretty good, modding is decent, workshops are not really my thing, but they're well done. Not having skill points was good, though I find a lot of the perks to be boring. The setting is okay, though I much prefer the desert settings of 1/2/New Vegas. They were so, so close to a really great game.

Fallout New Vegas in this engine would be amazing.

Yeah, I would love a better-written story in this engine. To wit:

quote:

Why is everything so bland? Why voice the main character when he is the most boring person imaginable? Why tie everything in to my son who I personally do not give a poo poo about?

I half suspect Bethesda had no idea about necessary deadlines for voice work and the system was still in flux when they canned the script for recording. They had no clue what the player would be capable of or excited about, so they were nothing.

The son was impetus to meet all the factions as quickly as possible, but they leaned way too hard on that. You can get, like, the entirety of the story going if you just wake up, your spouse is frozen and shot, the baby is gone, and you have no idea what the gently caress. You can still get pointed to Diamond City, have Nick recover an old camera feed in 111 and say "well poo poo, Kellogg" and then you keep going.

quote:

Why do all my companions get mad when i pick anything other than the goody two shoes line?

The critical-path companions are all of the Two Good Shoe variety, generally. Codsworth is expecting you to be Ward and/or June Cleaver, within the limits of what he's programmed to find outrageous, Preston is... Preston, Piper is plucky_girl_reporter.esp, and Valentine's got a heart of gold and several other metal-themed attributes. Cait, McCready, Hancock, and Strong are all a little shadier in their own particular way but they're not obvious. I expect you were supposed to make your actual choice of who you wanted to side with along with factions?

quote:

Why do the radio stations have so few songs?

I think there might be an occasional bug that makes some of them loop more frequently or puts some behind a plot lock that never clears? At the end of the game there are three dozen songs on Diamond City Radio and five more if you've found Magnolia, which is more than Fallout 3 and New Vegas put together. Though of course more radio songs are one of the easiest mods to make.

Unless this is about Radio Freedom, which is really more of a quest channel than a music thing.

quote:

Why is Preston Garvey making me the boss of the minutemen after knowing me for thirty seconds?

Because as far as he knows, as of those thirty seconds there are two (2) surviving Minutemen, him and Sturges. If you actually pull off the mission he sends you on, he will kill for you, and Sturges is already in Sanctuary to take orders.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I think the next game should just have a personal overarching story that includes a journey across a world with lots of small areas with their own little stories rather than having a big, epic, regionwide effect. I genuinely don't think they can really handle bug stories.

That's not Bethesda's style. They do huge plots that encompass the entire map (if it isn't used for a main plot it's left fairly empty). Also the player character is always The Chosen One.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Glazius posted:

I think there might be an occasional bug that makes some of them loop more frequently or puts some behind a plot lock that never clears? At the end of the game there are three dozen songs on Diamond City Radio and five more if you've found Magnolia, which is more than Fallout 3 and New Vegas put together. Though of course more radio songs are one of the easiest mods to make.

Unless this is about Radio Freedom, which is really more of a quest channel than a music thing.

Part of the problem is that a full third of Diamond City Radio's setlist is recycled from Fallout 3, and it's pretty easy to get sick of the radio when you've heard one out of every three songs a hundred times before. It doesn't help either that the announcer is a lot worse than either Three Dog or Mr. New Vegas.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
HEY EVERYBODY DID THE NEWS GET AROUND

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Part of the problem is that a full third of Diamond City Radio's setlist is recycled from Fallout 3, and it's pretty easy to get sick of the radio when you've heard one out of every three songs a hundred times before. It doesn't help either that the announcer is a lot worse than either Three Dog or Mr. New Vegas.

I like Travis. :unsmith:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
Radio Freedom is most useful for knowing when it is safe to go into a place you called an artillery barrage into :v:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mostly I'm really tired of Uranium Fever

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Personality is great, though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Travis is really good as long as you don't do his quest.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Travis is good because Sheng Kowalski.

Still tickles me that the best DJ is a computer simulation of a half asleep Wayne Newton.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
the thing I always find the most stupid is how the settlements and your abilities around them are not connected to the story at all

here you have a person with what is essentially a functional GECK; the bordering supernatural ability to construct/deconstruct, plant crops, all kinds of poo poo that could truly alter poo poo in a way nothing else has thus far

so of course our ability to alter things is limited to who on earth we want to shoot and blow up. We can't mediate, we can't subvert, we can't choose uncertain peace, anything but BLOW UP AND KILL BROSEF; WOOF WOOF

Floppychop posted:

That's not Bethesda's style. They do huge plots that encompass the entire map (if it isn't used for a main plot it's left fairly empty). Also the player character is always The Chosen One.
yeah, the problem with that is that pretty much 3/5ths of the map are empty, useless poo poo. Diamond City is even loving smaller and has less life than that boring place with the nuke in it in 3, while other, better games have introduced us to RPGs with actual living, breathing seeming cities. Like, it was bad how there were gently caress all for settlements in 3, but they somehow decided that rather than fix that they went with "WELL NOW THE PLAYER CAN MAKE THEIR OWN! WITH THEIR OWN HANDS THEY WILL MAKE THE GAME WE WON'T!"

like, it is pretty loving pathetic that their high-point to date remains Morrowind for world-building and verisimilitude but whatever. apparently no-one gives a poo poo

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Even comparing Fallout 4 to their most recent game before it, Skyrim, it kind of feels lacking.

Skyrim has different holds with at least one major town in each and your crime is tracked separarately for each hold.

Fallout 4 has Diamond city as the only major settlement with very few minor settlements. Only Covenant really comes to mind.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Someone want to explain to me, again, how these east coast jerks, who are apparently swimming in pre-war money, never mind how Fallout 3 was set where you could probably find the loving presses, still decided to use bottle caps, in spite of being removed by thousands of miles from The Hub?

New Vegas should have made more of an argument about currencies beyond "bottle caps are the most stable-set because water."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Someone want to explain to me, again, how these east coast jerks, who are apparently swimming in pre-war money, never mind how Fallout 3 was set where you could probably find the loving presses, still decided to use bottle caps, in spite of being removed by thousands of miles from The Hub?

New Vegas should have made more of an argument about currencies beyond "bottle caps are the most stable-set because water."

I thought the back story to NV was that NCR scrip used to be the predominant currency, but their war with the brotherhood damaged their economy to the point that people started using the water backed caps again.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I thought the back story to NV was that NCR scrip used to be the predominant currency, but their war with the brotherhood damaged their economy to the point that people started using the water backed caps again.

less damaged their economy and more brotherhood blew up their gold reserves.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

Yeah, the Brotherhood of Steel managed to destroy all of the gold that was backing NCR's economy, so the currency defaulted to the value of water, which was still being traded for in bottlecaps. Because, somehow, the NCR never incorporated The Hub, water supplies or any traders.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Plus the Mojave doesn't have a currency infrastructure so they're still on the water trade established by caravans before the ncr showed up

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, seeing as the player has access to all three currencies it's actually a kinda neat blending of gameplay and story integration

F3 and 4 had bottlecaps because they're cargo cult Fallout~

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Yeah, the Brotherhood of Steel managed to destroy all of the gold that was backing NCR's economy, so the currency defaulted to the value of water, which was still being traded for in bottlecaps. Because, somehow, the NCR never incorporated The Hub, water supplies or any traders.

The Hub is canonically an NCR state by Fallout 2, it's just that the water traders have so much political power that the NCR authorities could never really do much to rein them in. The Crimson Caravan is able to get away with straight-up indentured servitude in NV. You can expose some of their criminal dealings and drag them through NCR regulatory courts for years, which probably helps make the situation a bit better in the future, but it still makes total sense that the companies who run most of the country's infrastructure are able to more or less do whatever they want, including minting and issuing what amounts to company scrip. Think of it like railroad companies in the 1800s.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Keeshhound posted:

...but New Vegas has pure water in Lake Mead, so they don't need the water traders. (The Colorado River feeds into Lake Mead, so presumably it's uncontaminated, ergo Vegas has all the water they need.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gynovore posted:

...but New Vegas has pure water in Lake Mead, so they don't need the water traders. (The Colorado River feeds into Lake Mead, so presumably it's uncontaminated, ergo Vegas has all the water they need.)

Vegas has an abundance of clean water, which makes them ideal caravan trading partners with the Hub. Since the Hub has well established trade routes, it makes sense that the region would adopt a shared currency.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Vegas has plenty of fresh water, but that doesn't mean all of NCR territory does or that the Lake Meade supply would be enough for all of New California (California is already dealing with water shortages today, in real life, and tapping distant water sources such as Lake Meade in order to supply fresh water to Cali is a pretty hot-button issue). I'm pretty sure tapping the Colorado to ship the water back to California is one of the major reasons the NCR wants the Dam so badly, along with the electricity. If anything, having to rely on the water corporations for economic stability would give the NCR even more reason to want Vegas, because the water supply from the Colorado could go a long way towards breaking the water merchants' stranglehold on the national economy.

As for why Vegas uses a water-backed currency even though water is relatively easily available there - it requires both labor and risk to harvest it in significant quantities, it needs to be transported places, it has weight and volume, there is a real cost to obtaining it, and it's stable over the long term. It's certainly worth less than it would be in Death Valley or wherever, but its value is still greater than zero there. A commodity-backed currency is not a great idea by modern economic standards, but it's understandable why they'd do it, and why the NCR might have some difficulty convincing them to accept fiat currency after they've been using a water-backed one for going on 200 years now. Caps are also used as scrip by the Hub trading corporations, who are the biggest players in what passes for international trade in the Fallout-verse, so it makes sense that areas they trade with would have an incentive to use their currency.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
It makes me sick how much potential was wasted with Drumlin Diner.

Number one. If you get the speech checks, Wolfgang and Simone basically hang out with Trudy and Patrick. They still never say a word to each other. Are you telling me you can't even develop the faintest hint of a storyline between the drug dealers and the diner owners? You can't develop the smallest iota of a plot?

Number two. When Carla hangs out there, you can have as many as three separate merchants in one place. That's more than most of my settlements in each of my playthroughs. And there's a perfectly good settlement nearby, Starlight Drive-In. Why the hell can't you, like, annex Drumlin Diner? Start building residential settlements around the obvious good trading post for a while in most directions?

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
all the effort of plot for Fo4 was used in far harbor so yeah

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Reality Winner posted:

Why is Preston Garvey making me the boss of the minutemen after knowing me for thirty seconds?

This bothered me a lot. It would have made more sense if the guy was too old or wounded or something but nope, a perfectly able bodied military man submits to a complete stranger minutes after meeting him.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MoreLikeTen posted:

This bothered me a lot. It would have made more sense if the guy was too old or wounded or something but nope, a perfectly able bodied military man submits to a complete stranger minutes after meeting him.

It makes more sense once you learn he's suicidally depressive, but they do that so poorly it doesn't fit in.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

If Preston actually sounded like he was thirty seconds from putting his laser musket in his mouth, yeah, some of his decision process would make sense.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

horse mans posted:

Number one. If you get the speech checks, Wolfgang and Simone basically hang out with Trudy and Patrick. They still never say a word to each other. Are you telling me you can't even develop the faintest hint of a storyline between the drug dealers and the diner owners? You can't develop the smallest iota of a plot?

Number two. When Carla hangs out there, you can have as many as three separate merchants in one place. That's more than most of my settlements in each of my playthroughs. And there's a perfectly good settlement nearby, Starlight Drive-In. Why the hell can't you, like, annex Drumlin Diner? Start building residential settlements around the obvious good trading post for a while in most directions?

I'm of the opinion that rather than give you, what is it 40? different settlement locations they should have just given you one, and then had you collect settlers from all over like with the vault-tec guy and the special vendors.

Gynovore posted:

That's irrelevant to it's utility as currency; there's a town in Columbia that used bricks of cocoa as their medium of exchange after the military drove out the FARC before they could sell it. All that matters is that people value it, and all the better if that value is stable.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 20, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

I'm of the opinion that rather than give you, what is it 40? different settlement locations they should have just given you one, and then had you collect settlers from all over like with the vault-tec guy and the special vendors.

Eh, there's a certain amount of frustration already about finding cool places and not being able to build there.

But another reason is that they wanted you to have smaller settlements because the engine couldn't really handle big ones that well. Vault 88 had it easiest on limit because it removed you from the regular worldspace entirely.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I kinda want to play this again since I never managed to finished it, but hell if I want to do all the necessary .ini fiddling again to make shooting feel all right. Like turning off VSync, fixing the uneven sensitivity across x/y axes and so on.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

horse mans posted:

Drumlin Diner is so half-assed. Trudy has no eat-sleep cycle, she just stand behind the counter 24/7.

I get the feeling that, late in development, they decided that the northern area needed a decent merchant and slapped it down.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Gynovore posted:

Drumlin Diner is so half-assed. Trudy has no eat-sleep cycle, she just stand behind the counter 24/7.

I get the feeling that, late in development, they decided that the northern area needed a decent merchant and slapped it down.

Also, she's really happy that Wolfgang is dead, and wants to make sure you know about it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The whole game is like that. You can blame ambition if you're kind and incompetence if you're not, but the game has almost no clever moments, no depth, no soul.

It feels like a game that's only just left Beta, tbh. And the fact that they never bothered to go back and fix it the way they did 3 is seriously pathetic.

I mean, Far Harbour shows that they have the ability to do better; they just don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bethesda? More like Beta-testa

• Locked thread