Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ballz posted:

I haven't seen it, but there's a documentary on Rosa that mentions it in the description.

Edit: movie was completed years ago, but I have no idea where to watch/buy it outside of like, Denmark. I remember watching a brief clip online with an excerpt of an interview with Rosa and it was the saddest loving thing. Didn't think I could stomach 75 minutes of pure depression from one of my all time favorite writers.

I can't find anything about him suing or being sued by Barks outside of this link. I really have no idea what this is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Found the trailer. It's... yeah :smith:

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

One issue Rosa had was Scrooge having such a blatant Scottish accent, he always felt that since Scrooge left Scotland at a pretty early age and spent most of his life in the United States that he'd only have the slightest trace of a Scottish accent if he had one at all

Also while I don't agree with absolutely everything he believes, I do feel he is probably the second best Duck writer after Carl Barks, and part of that is due to how much love and thought he gives his work

They should just make it canon Scrooge retained his accent out of sheer stubborn pride.

Is that Goofy's station wagon on Webby's cork board? I swear it's from Goof Troop but GIS is failing me.

RIP Hortense McDuck's Little Orphan Annie hairstyle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want Scrooge to tell the story about how he met Teddy Roosevelt and at the end you see Webby calculating how old that would make Scrooge.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Funky Valentine posted:

I want Scrooge to tell the story about how he met Teddy Roosevelt and at the end you see Webby calculating how old that would make Scrooge.

They can always rely on his encounter with the Fountain of Youth to explain him being born in the 19th century, like he was in the Barks/Rosa stories.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Doesn't work unless Hortense (Donald's mother) is decades younger than Scrooge. I hope they just hand-wave the whole time thing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Funky Valentine posted:

I didnt read the comic but im having trouble trying to decide if he would be a Moose or a (teddy)Bear.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Nothing that crazy, the majority of Rosa's non-duck characters were human with dog noses and ears, Teddy included.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Just saw the pilot. I loved Donald's interactions with Glomgold and the mercenaries, those were the funniest parts of the episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like Donald is, as usual, unlucky and a bit of a klutz on top of a bad temper, but otherwise pretty competent. Wonder if this version will have him actually have been in the Navy. (And Della, in turn, in the Air Force)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

kefkafloyd posted:

Launchpad deftly swerves to avoid Arsene Lupin III and Daisuke Jigen.

I hope he's this guy's grandson and is a villain instead of a one-off visual gag. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Arpin_Lusene

Also could we maybe add one of the McDuck family trees to the OP?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

That's... an interesting variation I hadn't seen before. Clear view of Della's (still nameless) husband sporting a 50s-style buzz cut and Ludwig marrying Matilda. That one might actually get some play if Ludwig does indeed appear in DuckTales this season.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

dragon_pamcake posted:

I hope he's this guy's grandson and is a villain instead of a one-off visual gag. http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Arpin_Lusene

Molly Mallard looks absolutely miserable and her husband "Dirty" looks like he's to blame. Then again it might just be the terrible life of a Scottish coal mining family.

Also it's kinda funny that "Donald" is pretty much the only name which made it through the German translation and that's probably because he was known under that name longer than that.

In this version the McDucks have also just been called Duck, which makes the tree seem a bit stupid. Maybe Duck is just an incredibly common name like Nguyễn.
Also note that they decided to rename Gladstone to "Gustav Gans" (Gans means goose) and later on there was Gus Goose who they had to rename to Franz because Gus is just short for Gustav. Furthermore, Gladstones father was arbitrarily made a general just for that alliteration.

The longer I look at that the more strange things I notice. Donalds Grandma seems to be the only woman who changed her name to her husband's. And the guy on the upper right chooses to go by his mother's maiden name.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 19, 2017

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like how Daisy is just kinda there. She's not a relative (I hope) but not Donald's wife, so let's awkwardly stick her on the edge.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So Gus is only one third goose? I feel lied to.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

I like how Daisy is just kinda there. She's not a relative (I hope) but not Donald's wife, so let's awkwardly stick her on the edge.

Counterpoint: The nephews address her as Aunt Daisy. Her brother is Della's husband.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Decius posted:

She's not related to Donald by blood, no. I sort of figure the last name "Duck" is our equivalent of "Smith."

Another version Rosa did had Daisy and a few other ancillary characters off to the side. Here's how it appears in one of the Life & Times of Scrooge collections:

I kind of wouldn't mind Daisy being in the new show, although as a result it would probably mean giving Donald an even bigger speaking role than the one he already has and that... might be an issue.

Edit:

eatenmyeyes posted:

Counterpoint: The nephews address her as Aunt Daisy. Her brother is Della's husband.

:aaa:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 19, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

dragon_pamcake posted:

Done, along with a high res copy of Webby's Charlie board.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

eatenmyeyes posted:

I want to say that calling someone an aunt can be just a thing of close affection. But on the other hand, assuming they were married, Della's husband would have to be called Duck too. (Taking the wife's name was rather rare back then.)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My sis is coming over to watch the pilot, what else should we watch?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

RandomPauI posted:

That's kind of an open question. Especially since we don't know what you or your sister like and know. Gravity Falls is good, I guess.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Can we swap Bobby Fish in for Danny?

(Joke option, Ward. He stands around being shady but doing the hard poo poo the heroes won't)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RandomPauI posted:

I mean if Ducktales is the theme for the night, there's always that 2 parter where they do the Odyssey.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The first five episodes of the original series. It's basically a ~2 hour adventuring movie cut in to 5 parts

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll go with the first five episodes idea.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Inescapable Duck posted:

They haven't focused greatly so far on Scrooge's stinginess, possibly because it's not exactly an endearing quirk for the rich in this day and age, though I imagine Launchpad stays employed because Scrooge figures it's cheaper to pay for relatively occasional damages than hire a competent chauffeur/pilot/skipper.

Scottish people being cheap was a legit racist stereotype back in the day so I imagine Disney is trying to downplay that aspect of the character.

It's also how Scotch tape got its name and why the packaging uses a tartan design :v:

dragon_pamcake posted:

That reminds me that one thing I've enjoyed so far is how well the show has managed to have all the different anthropomorphic animals look distinct both across and between species while still being part of the same art style. The old comics kind of had the problem of the ducks all being a race of similar white fuzzy creatures and everyone else being humans with weird noses and ears.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Scottish people being cheap was a legit racist stereotype back in the day so I imagine Disney is trying to downplay that aspect of the character.

It's also how Scotch tape got its name and why the packaging uses a tartan design :v:

That reminds me that one thing I've enjoyed so far is how well the show has managed to have all the different anthropomorphic animals look distinct both across and between species while still being part of the same art style. The old comics kind of had the problem of the ducks all being a race of similar white fuzzy creatures and everyone else being humans with weird noses and ears.

I think the "humans" were actually supposed to be dogs, or they were in the old cartoon at least (Ducks and Dogs seem to be the only intelligent species that exist in this universe, unless I'm not remembering something).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The demographic breakdown was ducks, all white with orange beaks, along with some bird-people with the same colors but maybe have a different-shaped beak that maybe means they're a different species, then there were the dogmen who look nothing like dogs, then the pigs, and the occasional weasel. Pete the cat also made a few appearances.

And then since there are so few species, sometimes you start making uncomfortable comparisons to race.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Most disturbing question of all:

Why does Gyro Gearloose have human feet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

[quote="“Ballz”" post="“475554776”"]
Most disturbing question of all:

Why does Gyro Gearloose have human feet?
[/quote]

Asking why a chicken man has human feet is the kind of question you just have to not ask. Like why only ducks are the only people that consistently walk around pantsless.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inkspot posted:

If I had to guess, we'll get more of Launchpad's story when Darwking shows up and offers alternative employment.
I think it's gonna be the other way round, and that Darkwing is gonna be Launchpad's backstory/previous employer.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

X-O posted:

Asking why a chicken man has human feet is the kind of question you just have to not ask. Like why only ducks are the only people that consistently walk around pantsless.

The reason is that ducks are kinda gross.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Chev posted:

I think it's gonna be the other way round, and that Darkwing is gonna be Launchpad's backstory/previous employer.

That could be interesting, but he was an okay pilot/mechanic by the time he was in Darkwing. Better to learn the ropes on a near infinite supply of vehicles than a one-of-a kind Thunderquack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, Launchpad and Darkwing, oddly enough, are both basically replacements for aspects of Donald Duck; in the original Ducktales, Launchpad generally replaced Donald's role as the adult assisting adventurer/voice of reason between greedy Scrooge and overconfident triplets on their adventures, while Darkwing Duck is considered an animated equivalent to Paperinik by at least some people. (though Darkwing is pretty different from what I heard, since Donald's style of vigilantism is basically just beating the poo poo out of people like a G-rated Rorschach)

Donald's role in the first episode as not actually working for Scrooge but getting caught up in his adventures anyway might be an interesting take; he still clearly distrusts Scrooge, and may have good reason to, but doesn't have anyone else to rely on to take care of the kids. And even if Scrooge is willing to put the kids up for room and board, I imagine Donald would rather find literally any other employer than Scrooge.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

If I wanted to get into the duck comics, is there like, a big old compendium or TPBs or something out there?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Sockser posted:

If I wanted to get into the duck comics, is there like, a big old compendium or TPBs or something out there?

Short answer: Yes!

Longer answer: A lot of stuff is now out of print so it can be a little confusing about what to look for and how much money you want to drop on it.

The one thing that will probably be repeatedly referenced in this thread is Don Rosa's "Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck." It's a multi-part series Rosa did in the 90s (and won him an Eisner Award) that follows Scrooge from being a Glasgow pauper to richest duck in the world. The new DuckTales series is taking inspiration from a lot of this, although it's not an adaptation.

There've been a couple of trade paperbacks devoted exclusively to this series, but they're out of print, so they tend to be overpriced. If you want the original comics, you'll find it in Uncle Scrooge #285 through #296. Go digging in your local comic store's back issues, they'll probably be fairly cheap (incidentally you'll find a few of my letters to the editor in a couple of those issues :shobon:)

But good news, there's an easier way! Fantagraphics is releasing a 10-volume hardcover collection compiling every Don Rosa comic. I think we're up to volume 7 now, and each go for about 20 bucks. If you're looking for just the original Life of Scrooge series, it's in volumes 4 and 5. But seriously just get all of them, all of his stories are excellent.

Next we go to Carl Barks, the "Duck Man" who created Scrooge, Glomgold, the grand-nephews, Magic De Spell, etc. etc. etc. Barks wrote hundreds of comics from 1943 to 1967. There's a metric fuckton of his work available in all kinds of collections and compilations. If you want to go the pricey collector route, there's a 10-volume 7,000+ page giant hardcover collection from the 1980s called the Carl Barks Library. That'll only set you back about $2,000 on eBay.

But like the Don Rosa Library, Fantagraphics is again doing their own complete compilation. But whereas the Rosa collection is 10 volumes, Barks was a bit more prolific and when finished, will be in the neighborhood of 30 books. I don't think we're even at the halfway mark for it.

If you don't know where to start for Barks, I recommend Only a Poor Old Man (the beginning of the "classic" era of Scrooge comics) or Lost in the Andes arguably the single best comic Barks ever wrote. It was certainly his personal favorite.

btw the above is obviously from a North American collector's perspective. Lord knows what you can get in Europe, where Barks and Rosa are basically celebrities.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 20, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Inescapable Duck posted:

IIRC, Launchpad and Darkwing, oddly enough, are both basically replacements for aspects of Donald Duck; in the original Ducktales, Launchpad generally replaced Donald's role as the adult assisting adventurer/voice of reason between greedy Scrooge and overconfident triplets on their adventures, while Darkwing Duck is considered an animated equivalent to Paperinik by at least some people. (though Darkwing is pretty different from what I heard, since Donald's style of vigilantism is basically just beating the poo poo out of people like a G-rated Rorschach)

Donald's role in the first episode as not actually working for Scrooge but getting caught up in his adventures anyway might be an interesting take; he still clearly distrusts Scrooge, and may have good reason to, but doesn't have anyone else to rely on to take care of the kids. And even if Scrooge is willing to put the kids up for room and board, I imagine Donald would rather find literally any other employer than Scrooge.

Launchpad and Fenton were the Donald Replacements. Darkwing was more his own thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I never really got the sense that Launchpad is a stand-in from Donald, outside of filling the slot in the cast Donald did in some adaptations of classic stories. Launchpad is just a fundamentally different character; he's as likely to enable Scrooge as he is to be the voice of reason, with the former being more common. Launchpad's not really as down to earth or practical or prone to standing up to Scrooge is either, and a lot of the time he has a pretty weird way of interpreting reality. They may walk some similar paths but as characters they're very different.

Fenton is also a lot more insecure and neurotic, so he comes off being pretty different too. I dunno if I'd really consider them both to purely be "Donald stand ins". Like, I get being mad that Donald being replaced in a story he originally appeared in borrows some fans, but to say they're both literally copies of him like I've seen some parts of the fanbase get into just confuses me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

cant cook creole bream posted:

I want to say that calling someone an aunt can be just a thing of close affection. But on the other hand, assuming they were married, Della's husband would have to be called Duck too. (Taking the wife's name was rather rare back then.)

Yeah, it may not be as common these days, but my mom had more "aunts" and "uncles" than ones she was related to by blood. I also had an aunt like that who was my mom's lifelong friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TFRazorsaw posted:

I never really got the sense that Launchpad is a stand-in from Donald, outside of filling the slot in the cast Donald did in some adaptations of classic stories. Launchpad is just a fundamentally different character; he's as likely to enable Scrooge as he is to be the voice of reason, with the former being more common. Launchpad's not really as down to earth or practical or prone to standing up to Scrooge is either, and a lot of the time he has a pretty weird way of interpreting reality. They may walk some similar paths but as characters they're very different.

Fenton is also a lot more insecure and neurotic, so he comes off being pretty different too. I dunno if I'd really consider them both to purely be "Donald stand ins". Like, I get being mad that Donald being replaced in a story he originally appeared in borrows some fans, but to say they're both literally copies of him like I've seen some parts of the fanbase get into just confuses me.

Not copies of him they are quite different from him but they are stand ins for him, partially taking what his role is.