Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

poo poo, and here I am about to open a 1000 room resort hotel.

The anxiety meds I started taking a few months ago have really helped curb my drinking, haven't even felt the need in over a month now.

Honestly, half the people in this industry should probably be taking Lexapro and/or Cloneazepan.

Rock on. It is amazing what the right meds can do for people. I have a buddy that was so agoraphobic he had issues playing MMOs. The right meds? Bam, running his daughters around on errands and everything.

Glad to see it's going better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I, on the other hand, got a degree first and decided afterwords that I should take the opportunity to do something I love for a living instead of rotting at a desk while my body can still handle it.

Also, exciting times at my place of employ. Our best cook put in notice so he can move to be with his girlfriend and get out of the industry, and a good but sometimes to stoned to be good cook is highly suspected to be stealing from the till, but has been disguising it well enough that the cameras haven't given us concrete evidence. But all but one of the times the till has been short, it's been on his shift.

Speaking of things caught on camera, our best bartender by far burned the poo poo out of his hand a few nights ago. His story to the other employees was that he was cleaning a fryer and slipped and dunked it. The cameras show he was drinking with his friends after locking up and tried to cook himself something, and dunked his hand. The very next night, our very part time bartender (who has been working there since the bar's previous owner over 12 years ago IIRC) was also caught on camera drinking with people after lockup without paying, including with the manager's girlfriend, who didn't make it home until an hour after they left the bar together.

It's a regular shitshow, but none of it falls on me, and I'll probably get a few more hours out of it. Sad to see our best cook go though, he's a great guy.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

poo poo, and here I am about to open a 1000 room resort hotel.

The anxiety meds I started taking a few months ago have really helped curb my drinking, haven't even felt the need in over a month now.

Honestly, half the people in this industry should probably be taking Lexapro and/or Cloneazepan.

Out of the few culinary classmates I still talk to, I feel like maybe 10 or less still work in the biz, and only a few really "made" it, opening their own places.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Turkeybone posted:

Out of the few culinary classmates I still talk to, I feel like maybe 10 or less still work in the biz, and only a few really "made" it, opening their own places.

Really, I find that if you can't make it into management, it's never gonna work out for you and you should do something else.

Being a successful chef has very, very little to do with cooking ability.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Is it a bad or good sign that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having restaurant work nightmares?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Is it a bad or good sign that sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night having restaurant work nightmares?

That would be bad.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hey, something's gotta replace all those dreams where you're back in school with a bunch of classes you never attended.

Just kidding, those never go away. They do stop bothering you eventually, though.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Mezzanon posted:

awful bad. been out for more thsn three years snd still get nightmares of white-out weeds bartending that I can't catch up on until I get too anxious and wake up.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Being a successful chef has very, very little to do with cooking ability.

Being a cook is cooking, being a chef is management. I had no idea until I made the jump and it was loving hard and I'm still learning. Cooking helps, for sure, but cooking well won't make you a good chef.

CHUCK WAS TAKEN
Aug 1, 2004
this kid has heart

pile of brown posted:

Being a cook is cooking, being a chef is management. I had no idea until I made the jump and it was loving hard and I'm still learning. Cooking helps, for sure, but cooking well won't make you a good chef.

I'm poo poo at both, but here I am! Anyway, we got Sysco to hook us up with a refrigerated trailer to put like $7000 worth of extra inventory in for this weekend since a ton of people are coming up here for the eclipse. That bitch went down tonight and, thanks to 5 random diesel mechanics who literally just happened to drive/walk by and see our stupid asses loving with it, we found out that 3 gallons of water had gotten in to the fuel tank. Some seriously cosmic poo poo goin' on around here, man.

Edit: next time I am literally just gonna get all the beer out of the walk-in and just use that, cause if I hadn't gotten lucky I would've been ineffably hosed. Lesson learned! but then the walk-in would just go down so I mean

CHUCK WAS TAKEN fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 19, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

awful bad. been out for more thsn three years snd still get nightmares of white-out weeds bartending that I can't catch up on until I get too anxious and wake up.

Yesterday I left the office and took a nap before my serving shift. As soon as I fell asleep I immediately dreamt that my alar, hadn't gone off and that I was three hour late for my close, and my coworkers had just let three hours worth of tables Build up in my section and all the customers were furious at the delay and the fact that they were all squeezed into my section.

Then I woke up in a panic and my nap was not restful at all.

This week also marks the anniversary of me working 75 hours a week between my two jobs.

Upside: I'm almost done paying off my credit card and saving up for a new car. Then I can stop doing this to myself.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Hey goons, real quick life crisis. Flew out to la to NY for 2 tastings. Here are the options:

Small place but in an absolutely picturesque setting that you wouldn't mind driving to, but wouldn't look as good on the resume. But sit a bad job. Also pay is 3k more but title is poo poo compared to what I was so huge step down.also little.

Just finished a super long day in one of the most luxurious places I've ever stepped into. Would look loving killer on resume but job is harder. But not like crazy harder and it's more of a "chef" job than the other one. Pay not as good. Both have good benes. This place is really highly reviewes on glass door.

So chill cool job, or job that's better for future? Uhhhh. So conflicted. Need goon help.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

cods posted:

Small place but in an absolutely picturesque setting that you wouldn't mind driving to, but wouldn't look as good on the resume. But sit a bad job. Also pay is 3k more but title is poo poo compared to what I was so huge step down.also little.

I'm def. gonna need this edited so I can read it

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If benefits are the same at both places choose the place that pays you more.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

cods posted:

Hey goons, real quick life crisis. Flew out to la to NY for 2 tastings. Here are the options:

Just finished a super long day in one of the most luxurious places I've ever stepped into. Would look loving killer on resume but job is harder. But not like crazy harder and it's more of a "chef" job than the other one. Pay not as good. Both have good benes. This place is really highly reviewes on glass door.

So chill cool job, or job that's better for future? Uhhhh. So conflicted. Need goon help.

I have no idea what any of this is actually saying but go for the one closer to me in the South Bay so I can come eat.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
All I wanna say is that i was slammed busy yesterday.

I did not stop moving from 10-10. Even got bitched at cause I needed a break for 15 minutes from 4 to 4:15.....

Holy poo poo. Let's do it again today!!!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

How much experience do you already have on your resume, and how important is career progression to you vs. Relaxing?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Been in the industry almost 15 years now.

I work everyday doubles. I don't make much but I love the work outside the little bullshit.

Why? What's up?

I love this thread cause we are all pretty much regulars here and know the business.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm pretty sure he was talking to the dude drunkenly asking for career advice

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I think most of us ex-industry folks have a similar story. I quit at age 25 after an absolutely miserable experience opening a restaurant and was completely burned out. I had finished up my undergrad already so I took a job in software sales just to get the gently caress away from the industry - there are certainly days where I miss certain aspects of it, but yeah, life is much easier in general since getting out.

Bailed out in my early 30's here after the third place stared the death spiral of late checks followed by closing. Three years later I'm making 4x my old hourly wage working in IT shif management and can actally take time off to do things.

If you have the skills to manage in food, you can manage anywhere, for vastly better money.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's not all about you, AMAHD. We'll call you when someone wants to get down.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Naelyan posted:

It's not all about you, AMAHD. We'll call you when someone wants to get down.

That reminds me that on Friday night I took a random Uber ride 20 mins away from downtown to the beach and oooh boy.

The two girls were wasted and we were all making out and having fun and yeah.

They ended up disappearing and I went home alone. Good times.

The most somber moment was when the wasted girl asked the old uber driver what was up and he was like My Wife Just Died....

:aaa:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A Man and his dog posted:

That reminds me that on Friday night I took a random Uber ride 20 mins away from downtown to the beach and oooh boy.

The two girls were wasted and we were all making out and having fun and yeah.

They ended up disappearing and I went home alone. Good times.

The most somber moment was when the wasted girl asked the old uber driver what was up and he was like My Wife Just Died....

:aaa:

You are a walking potential sexual assault charge. Be smart and safe dude.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Sorry, I was having a freakout on the on the runway in the runway typing that before I had to go into airplane mode.

Basically I think I want to chose the douche place because a im douche, and it will pay off in a couple of years. While the other one wouldn't be bad, and it would be a much more chill job, I just cant take poo poo too easy on myself.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My job didn't pay the rag guys...

So they asked me if I could walk down the street carrying a 10 LB garbage bag and a gallon of bleach to the Laundry Matt...

It looked like I just committed a double homicide.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
TEN POUNDS?!?!?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Bailed out in my early 30's here after the third place stared the death spiral of late checks followed by closing. Three years later I'm making 4x my old hourly wage working in IT shif management and can actally take time off to do things.

If you have the skills to manage in food, you can manage anywhere, for vastly better money.

Otoh I'm close to 70k as a cdc(heh), the sous all make 80-100, and the exec is around 250. This is a 1000 room place though, with close to 50mil revenue scheduled for our opening year. And it'll only.go up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

cods posted:

Sorry, I was having a freakout on the on the runway in the runway typing that before I had to go into airplane mode.

Basically I think I want to chose the douche place because a im douche, and it will pay off in a couple of years. While the other one wouldn't be bad, and it would be a much more chill job, I just cant take poo poo too easy on myself.

Where is the douchey place? And where is the chill place?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Haha, AMAHD said "Laundry Matt".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Otoh I'm close to 70k as a cdc(heh), the sous all make 80-100, and the exec is around 250. This is a 1000 room place though, with close to 50mil revenue scheduled for our opening year. And it'll only.go up.

And you just got fired from your last dream job for taking prescribed medication and being involved in a workplace injury.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Liquid Communism posted:

And you just got fired from your last dream job for taking prescribed medication and being involved in a workplace injury.

Still think he should've sued, then he'd own a loving hotel and could give all of us our dream jobs.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It wouldn't have lasted; there's always that one goon gotta gently caress things up for everyone else, because 'it'd be funny'.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Well, there is that. And the inevitable lawsuit. But hey, Fairmont probably treats their people better than Compass Group.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Well, there is that. And the inevitable lawsuit. But hey, Fairmont probably treats their people better than Compass Group.

Heh, I have a friend who just got a job there. No start date yet though, and I'm not even sure what she's doing.

Skwirl posted:

Still think he should've sued, then he'd own a loving hotel and could give all of us our dream jobs.

Now that he has a new job it would be a much better decision.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Well this is loving lovely

(For those who don't want to read it, Susur Lee's restos have been essentially stealing the tips of their employess, in violation of the labour code)

Is this as widespread as I fear it is?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yup. The house dipping into the tip pool is absolutely endemic. This is just a particularly lovely version of it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Not allowing spills even? Jesus. Mistakes happen, that's unreal. I worked at one club that didn't bother with a blind closeout, just made the tills match the ring. But it was a very professional staff (who would turn each other in for stealing, twice that I saw) and everyone (including staff) was making money hand over fist so nobody cared if an extra hundred bucks came out of tips. If the till was heavy it went to the staff, so at least it was fair.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Is this a high a volume place?

I'm at a smaller shop and we just handle our own cash.

I can't imagine the poo poo show that is a high volume bar / restaurant. I mean cash and cards are just going everywhere.

And everyone is drunk. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

What I was describing was high volume, yes.