Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that the story of 5 is that you are such a goddamned amazing pilot that a 3rd party spy organization is trying to sabotage your unit specifically because they want the war to continue, and if you keep flying you would single-handedly end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

A full fan translation of 3 came out earlier this year, and it owns owns owns.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you play 5's arcade mode you return to Usea and the briefing guy is like "Statistics show that Mobius One has the combat effectiveness of an entire fighter wing" and then you dismantle the Erusean insurgency by yourself in a half hour

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked the story as well. What would the story be called? 2nd person? I dunno. I just liked that Mobius 1 remained this anonymous ace who helped turn the tide of the war and that the in-between cutscenes are about a kid trying to live during the Strangereal version of the German occupation of France while you're off doing your missions. It's good for showing just how Mobius 1 isn't the only one doing fighting, but also showing how his skills are definitely ruffling peoples' feathers and inspiring some to soldier on.

I liked Zero's storytelling which was also indirect like 4's, all the inter-mission cutscenes are basically clips from a History Channel-style documentary about the war years later

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 20, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spoderman posted:

A full fan translation of 3 came out earlier this year, and it owns owns owns.

Oooo I'll have to check this out once I finish Zero

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The war never ends, for war dogs.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Is there a rundown on Sonic Mania's controls somewhere? I didn't grow up with these games so I'm not sure how to do things like get Tails to pick me up and so on

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Tails never picked you up unless another player and controller were present in olden times.

Press Up and Jump and Tails will do that in Mania.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
What happened here?
https://twitter.com/PackBenPack/status/899364365316481024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
physics bug with moving blocks

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Natural causes. Sonics really old dude, it happens

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you jammed your head into the sharp corner of a stone block you'd probably get hosed up too.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ben no this is how they brought down nick

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Sonic runs into some spikes and rings pour out of him. They bounce once before spelling the words "SEND NUDES".

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
why is twitch starting their own steam service. who asked for this.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've noticed that twitch has also started running a lot more ads for themselves on channels, which makes sense but seems kind of hosed up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Reality Winner posted:

Amazon, probably.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Reality Winner posted:

Absolutely no one. A better solution would have been to sell digital keys that you claim on Steam, Xbox, or PlayStation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Amazon, probably.

Amazon does this which is why Twitch's solution is so weird.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

This happened to me in the last world a lot more than I can usually bear.

The game is rather aggressive with crushing players.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That is the spot of why I hate Chemical Plant. I would rather meet the mantis in Metropolis.
You can fall to your death in between the ground section that is shaped like a sideways 8 that has the background platform mirroring the foreground.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 20, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Reality Winner posted:

I noticed at e3 that microsoft started their own twitch called mixer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I noticed at e3 that microsoft started their own twitch called mixer

they bought Beam and renamed it and made it worse

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mixlr is still a thing and a mixer is also an actual tool that someone who uses Mixer might also have, causing an additional layer of confusion

Why is Microsoft so bad at naming things

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Well, QUBE was fun for a couple hours but I guess I'm done now.

This is far worse than any other puzzle I've encountered in the game. Activating the magnets pulls all the cubes in that direction. You have to get the four cubes under the four lasers. Of course, the small cubes move faster than the big cubes. Each of those red blocks can be extended out of the wall up to 3 block-lengths.

Olive! fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 21, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That reminds me, I still haven't beaten CrossCells. Around the halfway point the puzzles become much harder than HexCells or SquareCells ever were.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Puzzle games seem like they must be really hard to design well -- every one I've ever played (barring stuff like Portal where it's all intentionally very easy and guides you every step of the way) eventually reaches a point where it gets too hard, especially in the form of "I might be able to solve this but it would take exponentially more time than the previous puzzle" and I give up. But at the same time someone who was more proficient could easily be bored by the same puzzle, and unlike other genres where you can easily tune difficulty by changing a few variables, an easier or harder puzzle is by definition a completely different puzzle. There's no way to adjust an otherwise identical experience, you just have to create a whole new thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The way Riven's puzzles all tell the story blew my freaking mind when I was twelve and I haven't yet seen a game that so elegantly weaves puzzles and storytelling 20 years later.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

exquisite tea posted:

The way Riven's puzzles all tell the story blew my freaking mind when I was twelve and I haven't yet seen a game that so elegantly weaves puzzles and storytelling 20 years later.

Ghost Trick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Puzzle games seem like they must be really hard to design well -- every one I've ever played (barring stuff like Portal where it's all intentionally very easy and guides you every step of the way) eventually reaches a point where it gets too hard, especially in the form of "I might be able to solve this but it would take exponentially more time than the previous puzzle" and I give up. But at the same time someone who was more proficient could easily be bored by the same puzzle, and unlike other genres where you can easily tune difficulty by changing a few variables, an easier or harder puzzle is by definition a completely different puzzle. There's no way to adjust an otherwise identical experience, you just have to create a whole new thing.

You ever play Picross?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

In Training posted:

You ever play Picross?

I haven't. Is it a contrary example to what I said?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Speaking of puzzles, I solved another shrine and then figured out how to save Yunobo. I'm feeling all right about this game again as a strong puzzle game with bad combat interludes and wearying distances between puzzles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I haven't. Is it a contrary example to what I said?

Idk. It's just a good puzzle game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exquisite tea posted:

i'm johnathan blow reading this and doing the terran acadamy scream

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Who

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

i'm johnathan blow reading this and doing the terran acadamy scream
nice try blow-san but The Witness wasn't that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Witness is like the opposite of that

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009