Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I think you mean 7. With half of those being interactive walking cutscenes or the TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

veni veni veni posted:

Quantum Break really feels like it was made 10 years ago. Shooters have come a long way and QB seems to include just about every single lovely thing that shooters used to have but got rid of.

I am so ready for this game to be over but it just will not end.

That's what happens when you only make one game every eight years

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It might be 7 hours long but it feels like 40.

I started out thinking it was dope but I'm going to say at this point it's teetering somewhere between worth $15 and terrible. Maybe one of the lamest time travel stories ever told with some sloppy rear end gameplay sandwiched in between.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

veni veni veni posted:

It might be 7 hours long but it feels like 40.

I started out thinking it was dope but I'm going to say at this point it's teetering somewhere between worth $15 and terrible. Maybe one of the lamest time travel stories ever told with some sloppy rear end gameplay sandwiched in between.

The story isn't terrible. There are some interesting bits, like what exactly is Martin Hatch's deal, and the way the "rules" work and the somewhat clever way they can subvert them while still playing by them, that you only get in the notes laying about.

The problem is this hunting for things to read interferes with Iceman's Bullet Puzzle Adventure 2005.

Hatch, though... Hatch is really, really interesting. I'd like to know what you think of him after you finish the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I don't hate the actual story. it's a little bit corny but it's enjoyable enough. The time travel aspect of it just seems super lame and half baked, and even lamer in a gameplay context. All of his powers seems so loosely related to time travel and the non combat stuff is so canned it feels like a joke.

I probably missed a lot of exposition because the game talks over itself so much and piles every bit of lore on top of each other though.

hatch is already dead at the point I'm at. Tbh I didn't fully understand what his plan was maybe there is more coming up, but I am at what I'm pretty sure is the end boss. I was going to finish it tonight, but Serene's AOE attack was annoying the hell out of me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 13, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'd have enjoyed Quantum Break more if it hadn't been another overtly cynical (from a game business perspective) "story" game where everything about it is a hook for a sequel, one that in this case will never get made because of how poorly it sold. Another The Order 1886 scenario basically.

I've loved most of Remedy's few games (the Max Payne duology and Alan Wake's American Nightmare are incredible, OG Alan Wake is all right), but Quantum Break was disappointing drivel and I'd assume its existence is only because Microsoft really wanted to compete with Sony and their story based adventure games like Uncharted.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Yeah it's a shame when things like that happen.

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, I don't hate the actual story. it's a little bit corny but it's enjoyable enough. The time travel aspect of it just seems super lame and half baked, and even lamer in a gameplay context. All of his powers seems so loosely related to time travel and the non combat stuff is so canned it feels like a joke.

I probably missed a lot of exposition because the game talks over itself so much and piles every bit of lore on top of each other though.

hatch is already dead at the point I'm at. Tbh I didn't fully understand what his plan was maybe there is more coming up, but I am at what I'm pretty sure is the end boss. I was going to finish it tonight, but Serene's AOE attack was annoying the hell out of me.

That fight is not terribly hard (or even long!) the AoE starts near you so as long as you move to the other side of the area you should be fine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It wasn't that bad I was just burned out on playing and I kept getting snagged on a computer or something while trying to dodge it , so I figured it was best to call it a night.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe Halo is a 100gb download.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Should've gotten the disc version, then it only would have been a 52-gig download or thereabouts.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha

I actually would have done that but I realized I could just play it free with this game pass trial.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I've been playing Hitman on my Xbox One and have been enjoying it very much. Six games deep into the series and it seems like they've finally made the game that matches the original pitch.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

veni veni veni posted:

lots of things about the xbox one are unbelievable

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Halo 6 campaign is going to be really embarrassing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm going to email Danny McBride about this file size.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Halo 6 campaign is going to be really embarrassing

Can't be embarrassing if they poo poo the whole thing down before Halo 6 comes out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

They wont

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

That should have said "shut" but I'mma let it stand.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I take back what I said last night about the end boss fight of quantum break not seeming that bad. This is definitely getting my worst boss fight of the year award. I'd kill to be able to just bump it down to easy and watch the ending, but like most other things about Quantum Break, it's a relic of the PS2 era and doesn't let you switch difficulties.

This entire fight is a nightmare. I literally can't tell the difference between the AOE red attack and the red poo poo spreading all over the floor all the time, the camera auto pans to wherever it is, sticking it behind Jack, so when I try to run out of there he gets stuck on something I couldn't see, and of course has to do a very long and cinematic animation that gets me killed. The checkpoint is before the cutscene, which is hiding another load, so I have to watch two load screens to get back to the fight, which has no checkpoints, much like the rest of the over long battles in this game. I hate this game so much right now. Ive died like 30 times on this poo poo.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\/\You only need to actually shoot Paul twice. He yells when he does his AoE, if you stay at either end of the room and run across to the opposite end when you hear him yell it makes it way easier. Then it's just murdering goons. Don't let them draw you out, switch positions when the AoE starts.

HyperPuma posted:

lots of things about the xbox one are unbelievable

Punching up, I see.

So, Hatch.

Hatch is a shifter (like Dr. Kim, the one wandering around the last level murdering everyone) who found a way to claw his way back from that state; he keeps it under control with the same eye drops that Paul Serene uses. Those eye drops are only for people with Time Sickness or whatever it's called, to dull the symptoms. He absolutely wants the End of Time, where shifters can stop being driven crazy by existing in all timelines at once. That's why you can't kill a shifter, it just swaps in a double from a timeline where you didn't shoot it, and goes even crazier. The current Hatch is still Hatch, but he's not our Hatch.

So, for the extremely unlikely Season 2 of Iceman's Pullet Puzzle Adventure 2005, Iceman would find a way to bring a quantum version of Beth who didn't die back, as well as maybe a non-evil version of Littlefinger, since they exist in some timeline. The End of Time is going to happen still, Hatch will see to that, but Merry would probably figure out some way to go after the End of Time to start it back up again, probably using stuff salvaged from the Lifeboat Protocol, which isn't a terrible idea to begin with.

The title "Quantum Break" has a little more to do with the story than just sounding cool.

Too bad about the reception and gameplay.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 13, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know what I'm technically supposed to do. It's more a matter of finding the fight incredibly visually disorienting and jacks tendency to do long dramatic stumbling animations every time he makes contact with one of the 1000 objects strewn around the room. This technically shouldn't be hard at all but here I am like 2 hours later. The worst part is that my deaths feel totally random. Like, I'm just standing there fine and he drops dead.

Does Xbox have share play? I'd pay someone like 5 dollars to just beat this for me lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 13, 2017

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
i had a lot of trouble with that fight too for the same reason of not being able to tell wtf was happening and got super sick of watching the cutscene over and over

luckily i was on pc and just turned on invincibility

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

All in all it took me like 2.5 hours to get through, and then the ending was a 1 minute long lame cliff hanger. Any tiny bit of love I had left for that game was drained during that fight. Already traded it in. What a pos.

It has potential and some good qualities, but there was just so much wrong with it I'd never recommend it to anyone.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That's the anger talking... but you're not wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha yeah. I guess it was worth playing through once.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Gamescom press conference right now bringing the biggest Xbox news:

4K remaster of Kinect Disneyland Adventure coming to the xb1

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wanted to play that game without Kinect so I'm down.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I would bet a good amount of money that they're done with Kinect.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I’ve got a 4 year old who’s getting into gaming so I’ll pick those up.

I wish they would announce the Xbox One X preorder poo poo so I can go make a dumb purchasing decision at GameStop

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Pre-orders are up btw.

https://smile.amazon.com/Xbox-One-X-1TB-Console/dp/B01GW8VG7O/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1503262163&sr=1-3&keywords=xbox+one+x

http://www.gamestop.com/collection/xbox-one-x

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
After getting REAL MAD about PS4 Pro coming out so soon after PS4 (and also my latest GPU upgrade to a GTX 1080) I swore I was done with non Nintendo consoles.

I impulse bought this thing today when it went up for preorder on Amazon.

Will I have regerts? Are the Forza games still good/can you still LS swap into other cars? I really appreciated how Forza catered to white trash REAL Americans like myself. Gran Turismo always pissed me off with the lack of drag racing, LS swaps, and stupid dyno queen Japanese cars like Supras being faster around a road course than a Corvette.

Are the XBOX One Gears of War and Halo games any good?

I'm basically only going to be exclusives (anything not on Steam counts as far as I'm concerned) since everything else is better on a good PC.

I just bought a $500 Minecraft box for my kid, didn't I.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You bought an Xbox over a PS4 for exclusives?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah, pretty much.

Microsoft doesn't have "exclusives" anymore, all of their games for the past like 2 years (and all games going forward) at the very least are also available via the Windows 10 app store with true 4K60 support if you have a powerful enough system to pull that off. And this is a loving tiny list, too, it's pretty much Forza/Halo/Gears like you said with seriously nothing else, and all of those series have taken a serious quality downgrade (with Forza maybe coming out the "best" out of those three).

It is a 100% downgrade from your PC because every game that would theoretically benefit from the Xbox One X you can get on PC and actually run at 4K60 instead of pretend 4K60.

The PS4 Pro, despite making you hella-mad for daring to come out 3 years after the PS4 launch, does actually have a fat library of true not-on-PC exclusives.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

You bought an Xbox over a PS4 for exclusives?

I already have a non-Pro PS4. Also I need a 4k Blu Ray player.

And I will probably buy a Pro too anyway since I'm a hopeless capitalist stooge. If there are any kind of Black Friday bundles they've got me hook, line, and sinker.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you want to play Forza, get it on PC in a couple months. You have a high end gaming PC, and PS4, and it sounds like maybe you have a Switch, you don't need an xbox. Xbox has nothing to offer you. Just get a PS4 Pro.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Chris Christie posted:

And I will probably buy a Pro too anyway since I'm a hopeless capitalist stooge. If there are any kind of Black Friday bundles they've got me hook, line, and sinker.

Ah, gotcha.

Personally I just bought a pro and traded my old PS4 for a bone on Craigslist. Figure id get the best of both worlds that way. I've struggled to find much to play on it tbh.

I'm personally looking forward to PU battlegrounds and cuphead but that's about it. I'm playing the new Halo right now and it blows.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Are Halo reach and ODST BC? I got that Halo collection and realized that the two I actually wanted to play were the ones that weren't on there lol.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Chris Christie posted:

Depending on your UHD Blu-ray wants, you may be better off with a dedicated player (e.g. if you want Dolby Vision), and may also want to consider the hella-cheaper Xbox One S (especially since many upgraders will be off-loading theirs) and just get all the Xbox games you want on PC.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Are Halo reach and ODST BC? I got that Halo collection and realized that the two I actually wanted to play were the ones that weren't on there lol.

Halo Reach is BC, yes. It was wonky at first in terms of performance but I think they mostly fixed it.

ODST is available as paid DLC for MCC, AND the 360 version is planned to come to BC before the end of the year along with the rest of the 360 Halo's, because MCC has been such an unmitigated disaster that never got fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah you can literally get a Xbox one s brand new for $200. That gives you a uhd player and access to Xbox games. Do you really need to spend 300 extra to make them look a little bit nicer?