Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, I feel it's insulting to shrug the whole thing off. I'm a huge Madusa fan and her speech plus so many others got me teary-eyed.(I wasn't following wrestling at the time but I did make sure to check out her speech as soon as I head about it a few year sago) It just feels wrong when you try to discredit or demean the whole event as meaningless because that means these people are taking pride in and crying about something that is worthless.

Although I honestly didn't realize until today that British Bulldog hadn't been inducted yet. What the hell.

That's cool and all but if you got dozens of wrestlers in your Hall of Fame who aren't among even the top 200 stars of all time while tons of huge names are absent, then it's pretty worthless as a measure of who's important or not. Fwiw no one's saying worthless as a celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Web Jew.0 posted:

That's cool and all but if you got dozens of wrestlers in your Hall of Fame who aren't among even the top 200 stars of all time while tons of huge names are absent, then it's pretty worthless as a measure of who's important or not. Fwiw no one's saying worthless as a celebration.

That's completely fair.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
We should have a Hall of Fame.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jack Anderson posted:

We should have a Hall of Fame.

Induct Moose Bigelow.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If WWE didn't treat people as completely disposable the Participation Trophy Hall of Fame wouldn't be needed. WWE chews people up, spurns them for years, then decides "oh hey we can make a little money off that guy" and puts them in the Hall of Fame. Look at Madusa, they cared so little about her that they released her as champion, then blackballed her for 20 years because of a dumb angle that wasn't her idea and meant absolutely nothing in the big picture. Then because their ego was still bruised 20 years later they put her in the Hall of Fame so they could redo the stupid spot.

At least in her case she really appreciated it, as do most so hey, it's a payday and a nice night for people. Cool.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 20, 2017

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As long as you view the WWE Hall of Fame as a window into what Vince thinks is worthy and will sell product it can be fun. Trying to treat as a legit hall of fame for even just the WWE is a way to madness though.

Wonder who they'll try to induct this year to try and pass it off as being legit besides the Undertaker. Maybe the Great Muta?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

As long as you view the WWE Hall of Fame as a window into what Vince thinks is worthy and will sell product it can be fun. Trying to treat as a legit hall of fame for even just the WWE is a way to madness though.

Wonder who they'll try to induct this year to try and pass it off as being legit besides the Undertaker. Maybe the Great Muta?

There seems to be a tag team and a female wrestler per year? That's the formula I've been told about anyway.

I'm kind of curious why Sable hasn't gone in yet. Her husband is their top guy right now so maybe next year will be her time.

As for the tag team....Dudleyz?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

There's a POC quota too

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dudley's aren't going in as long Bully Ray is working ROH

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I mean the obvious choice would be Tatanka, right?
Like, the right balance of in legends contract/unlikely to do anything in the future that will embarrass the company/just a dumb enough pick that online smarks will be like "wait what?"/still recognizable to a slice of the nostalgia market.

It should be one or both of the Natural Disasters tho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry I got another question 'cuz I was rereading some of the responses I got on my ECW question. People asked ifI was squeamish about "unprotected chairshots." Is a protected chairshot just when the person holds up their hands?

What was The Rock's legendary bashing of Foley's brains out with the chair? Is that an unprotected shot and what I could expect from ECW?

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
The Rock/Foley thing was unprotected yes, and in the end it did more damage than the HiaC.

In ECW you can expect chairs bending and literally being destroyed over people's heads to the point it was even a central part of a wrestler's gimmick. It gets ugly.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Here's a big dumb question for you

How do you get "Osca" from Asuka when pronouncing her name? Where did the U go

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Shut up

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

well you see different regions pronounce certain letter groups differently. so in europe the au sounds like os to us

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This might blow your mind but there never was a U in Asuka. There's no A, S or K either.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The "u" in Japanese is pronounced more like the "oo" in "book," and the pronunciation of the name is such that you're meant to sort of glide over it.

It's like asking where all those letters go when you pronounce "Chestershire" as "Chester."

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Shinsuke must really be a mindfuck for you to then.

Wrestling question : Adam Cole's head is huge, like alien huge. It makes the rest of his little body look even littler. Not much of a question I guess.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
B.A in English w/ Japanese minor here:

"Asuka" sounding more like "Aska" is a result of palatalization in Japanese dialect.
Typically, in most colloquial Japanese, the "u" (pronounced like "oo" in English) is unstressed unless it occurs in the beginning of a word:
--u.na.gi ("OO-nah-gee")
--su.shi ("SOO-shee")

In the middle or ending syllable of a word, the "u" is less stressed, if not silent, when placed after a palatalized consonant.

By "palatalized", we mean sounds which are produced primarily using the tongue on the hard palate of the mouth.

To demonstrate, open your mouth and place your index finger on your tongue in order to keep it from moving.
Next, try to pronounce "you", and then "Sue". You'll immediately notice the difference in how your tongue wants to move.
Thus, it's actually impossible for you to pronounce "Sue" because the "s" is a palatalized consonant.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how do you get osca out of 明日華

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Endorph posted:

very carefully

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Endorph posted:

明日 can be read either as "ashita" (most commonly when referring to "tomorrow") or "asu" (when in a given name or meaning "bright")
華 of course means "flower"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

thsi might be a dumb question but who Put the ram in the rama lama ding dong

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Cavauro posted:

ding a ding dang, my dang a long ling long

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cavauro posted:

me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Why do we park in the driveway and drive in the parkway?????

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Cavauro posted:

Mickey Rourke

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

The Rock/Foley thing was unprotected yes, and in the end it did more damage than the HiaC.

You know I don't think I've ever heard Rock's side of this story. From how Foley describes it in his book, the plan was for there to be 4-5 chair shots max, spaced a couple of minutes apart, to build up the tension so the shots seemed worse than they were. But then Rock decided to change minutes to seconds, and hit an unsuspecting Foley so many times he forgot how to dress himself properly (I'm just assuming that's how it happened whenever I see a picture of him in a fanny pack and a leopard skin sweater).

Has Rock ever mentioned what happened from his pov?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You know I don't think I've ever heard Rock's side of this story. From how Foley describes it in his book, the plan was for there to be 4-5 chair shots max, spaced a couple of minutes apart, to build up the tension so the shots seemed worse than they were. But then Rock decided to change minutes to seconds, and hit an unsuspecting Foley so many times he forgot how to dress himself properly (I'm just assuming that's how it happened whenever I see a picture of him in a fanny pack and a leopard skin sweater).

Has Rock ever mentioned what happened from his pov?
Not really but chances are that he got a concussion early on and just said "Keep em coming" or something

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Occasionally on other wrestling forums there'll be cryptic comments about Mick Foley's wife [Collette?] being evil in some way, usually before a moderator/legal team drops in from orbit and deletes everything. Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Disgusting Coward posted:

Occasionally on other wrestling forums there'll be cryptic comments about Mick Foley's wife [Collette?] being evil in some way, usually before a moderator/legal team drops in from orbit and deletes everything. Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

This has me curious

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Who's the locker room leader now Undertaker is gone?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
The Big Dog and Owner of the Yard, Roman Reigns.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Fuji was a 5 Time Tag Team Champion at a time where they didn't hot shot belts around like they do today. Of course he belongs in the hall of fame.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

tnimark posted:

The Big Dog and Owner of the Yard, Roman Reigns.

Really though?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

magnum_valentino posted:

Really though?
He actually is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Disgusting Coward posted:

I honestly have no idea, all I can think of is that people used to completely take out of context the fact that back when Foley was actively wrestling, she insisted that Vince pay him extra if they wanted him to do big, dangerous sports. People used to characterize it as her coldly negotiating hardcore wrestling spots with Vince in exchange for a payday, as opposed to her knowing that Mick would happily do stupid poo poo for a pop and that Vince would take advantage of that if he could get away with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

She collects creepy dolls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

colette tried to make sure foley got extra for the stupid poo poo he did and tried to make sure her husband didnt really kill himself so of course she's an evil nag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maybe she thought she could pressure Vince into not letting Mick do stupid poo poo by demanding money?