Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Darchangel posted:

So, ran across this, of all things, on Pinterest:

Believe it or not, that's an S13 with a 1JZ.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1701-speed-warhouse-91-nissan-240sx-the-deathkart/

Wrong thread only because the front mount IC and that two-inch-clearance bumper bar are going to be toast the first time it leaves pavement. Move those somewhere sane, and I'd daily it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

MrYenko posted:

Wrong thread only because the front mount IC and that two-inch-clearance bumper bar are going to be toast the first time it leaves pavement. Move those somewhere sane, and I'd daily it.

So a wide open turbo inlet doesn't scare you at all?

Car is dumb.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not Automotive Sanity :frogout:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm more concerned about the defensive ability of a gun that can only for pretty much straight forward. Gimme a pintle mount any day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That just means you need ken block behind the wheel to mow down enemies. Sounds pretty awesome to me.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm more concerned about the defensive ability of a gun that can only for pretty much straight forward. Gimme a pintle mount any day.

I'm more concerned about a gun in a pivot mount as that appears to be, except with no action installed. Or barrel, for that matter.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Octopus Magic posted:

Car is dumb.

Cars without an air filter really bother me. Also big turbos with a tiny, restrictive filter.

Here's a pretty good intake

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Apologies if this has already been posted:

https://twitter.com/dijkstracula/status/899470952865476608

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
A manual gearbox on an electric engine is a really odd choice.

Also, the wooden beams are a really concerning choice.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Darchangel posted:

So, ran across this, of all things, on Pinterest:

Believe it or not, that's an S13 with a 1JZ.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1701-speed-warhouse-91-nissan-240sx-the-deathkart/

the Strut towers and firewall are pretty much the only s13 bits left but it sorta scares me that I was able to pick that out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Memento posted:

It's pretty common on conversions. A lot don't have clutches either. if you're pooting around town you leave it in 2nd or 3rd. hitting the highway leave it in 4th

If you want metal powder, you floor it in high gear at low speed.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Memento posted:

I think a sports car with an electric motor mated to a 6/7 speed manual box would be a fun low volume toy. I'm imagining a ~300ft/lb electric motor with a completely customizable torque curve. If you want a flat curve with max torque at 2000 RPM you can have that, but with a few sliders you can have a simulated K series with a torque peak at 8000.

Or you can simulate 80s turbo lag and have nothing below 4000 RPM before it takes off.

You'd have to manage the spin up/down speed of the motor to simulate inertia or shifting would feel like poo poo, but it'd be fun if not useful.

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 21, 2017

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Previa_fun posted:

I think a sports car with an electric motor mated to a 6/7 speed manual box would be a fun low volume toy. I'm imagining a ~300ft/lb electric motor with a completely customizable torque curve. If you want a flat curve with max torque at 2000 RPM you can have that, but with a few sliders you can have a simulated K series with a torque peak at 8000.

Or you can simulate 80s turbo lag and have nothing below 4000 RPM before it takes off.

You'd have to manage the spin up/down speed of the motor to simulate inertia or shifting would feel like poo poo, but it'd be fun if not useful.

You realize what you're basically advocating is like Sport Mode on a CVT right

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The A3 Etron has a transmission on the electric motor, but I think its because it only has 100 hp, plus the gas engine needs it.
It also has paddle shifters, and no tach for the electric (or much engine noise from the gas), so Im not sure what good it is other than it was left over from the normal A3.
(shifting it in electric is no fun at all)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Powershift posted:

It's pretty common on conversions. A lot don't have clutches either. if you're pooting around town you leave it in 2nd or 3rd. hitting the highway leave it in 4th

If you want metal powder, you floor it in high gear at low speed.

Yeah, they look like the perfect thing to have in conversions (like Karmann Ghias or Bugs). Feel like shifting and getting mad acceleration? Drive like a normal car and shift through the gears. Feel like just having an auto? Leave it in 2nd or something and just drive.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Octopus Magic posted:

Car is dumb.

Car is actually built for drifting. Off-road buggy look is mainly coincidental, but could be effective if raised a bit, and sub-optimal heat exchange and filtration addressed.
I definitely cringed at the lack of air filter. I'm going to assume that it was removed for the photo shot because the compressor inlet "looks cool.", or the owner gets his rocks off form FOD and replacing turbos. the gun is silly, but I get the aesthetic. No worse that the fabricated Gatling on whichever goon's bug that was.
Add intercooler defense, filter, and crank the coilovers up a bit, and go rallying.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yeah, they look like the perfect thing to have in conversions (like Karmann Ghias or Bugs). Feel like shifting and getting mad acceleration? Drive like a normal car and shift through the gears. Feel like just having an auto? Leave it in 2nd or something and just drive.

It also has the advantage of not requiring a custom driveshaft, though of course, it does require a custom flywheel, or at least a hub or coupler.
But basically, yeah - you select the gear for the type of driving you intend to do, and leave it there, most of the time.

I'd like to convert one of my non-running RX-7s to electric someday, but right now, the cost of the motors + controller +batteries for something reasonably close to the original HP/torque and a bit of range is a couple times more than rebuilding a rotary (which I find amazing. Rotaries aren't cheap, even NA.)

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Attended a nearby 1940s War Weekend last weekend which mainly consisted of American things and not all from the 40s (not that I'm complaining)
If you liked Willys Jeeps it was the place to be.

It's always staggering how massive US vehicles are. It seems almost silly when you look inside and the back seats don't seem to have more legroom than my Polo

A couple more here

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

freelop posted:

It's always staggering how massive US vehicles are. It seems almost silly when you look inside and the back seats don't seem to have more legroom than my Polo

But trunk space! Plus, that long hood, under which a manly substitute for virility resides. Or so I've heard.
(My '70 Oldsmobile Cutlass is 17' 3" long, and with the front seat all the way back - necessary for my own comfort - there is maybe 6-8 inches between it and the back seat. The car is all hood and trunk, er, bonnet and boot.)

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Darchangel posted:

But trunk space! Plus, that long hood, under which a manly substitute for virility resides. Or so I've heard.
(My '70 Oldsmobile Cutlass is 17' 3" long, and with the front seat all the way back - necessary for my own comfort - there is maybe 6-8 inches between it and the back seat. The car is all hood and trunk, er, bonnet and boot.)

Jalopnik article

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shelby is making the Coupe again?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I will post some photos I took at the car show this weekend. I was teaching my kids in the way of cool cars so prepare yourself for photos of my kids :lol:

A Valencia Orange 1M with less than 10K miles. One owner, European delivery. He has an E30 M3 with less than 80K miles too.

No description needed

A+ for being committed to taking it to 11.

A buddies imported E30 wagon that is cleeeean (and slow)

this pic makes me :3:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What'd he pay all said and done to get the wagon into the country?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

:golfclap:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Okay that's legit

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

:drat:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
What am I missing on this VW?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Programmer joke.

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Door Frame posted:

What am I missing on this VW?

Hand in your nerd card.
Has someone shoved a stick up one of the exhausts?
Also is that 'scoop' thing on the back facing the wrong way? I know nothing about bugs but I thought I used to see them facing up to get 'extra' air into the engine.
E: nevermind. Google says no, it's a rain deflector. I swear I've seen them the other way decades ago locally. but it was probably a dumb 1990s thing to do thinking it would get more cooling air in the bay.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Aug 22, 2017

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Fo3 posted:

Nah, that's on the ground. Higher res would be more obvious, it's offet just a little and you can see the hole in the exhaust pipe still.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVaaAQSGuOw

Found this pretty cool.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BlackMK4 posted:

What'd he pay all said and done to get the wagon into the country?

Good question. I typically don't ask people what they paid for their cars. I don't know if he was the one that did the importing or if he bought it from someone else. He has had probably half a dozen E30's but he has held on to this one for a long time.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fo3 posted:

Hand in your nerd card.
Also is that 'scoop' thing on the back facing the wrong way? I know nothing about bugs but I thought I used to see them facing up to get 'extra' air into the engine.
E: nevermind. Google says no, it's a rain deflector. I swear I've seen them the other way decades ago locally. but it was probably a dumb 1990s thing to do thinking it would get more cooling air in the bay.

I think the scoop-type typically goes on the upper vent, above the lid. I believe that's where the cooling fan gets it's fresh air. Not intimately familiar with ACVW, just a passing interest.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Found this pretty cool.

Initially wasn't going to watch it because it's so long, but I found it very interesting. Thanks!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

Nah, that's on the ground. Higher res would be more obvious, it's offet just a little and you can see the hole in the exhaust pipe still.

But you can see in the shadow that there's something sticking out of the right exhaust pipe.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Darchangel posted:

I think the scoop-type typically goes on the upper vent, above the lid. I believe that's where the cooling fan gets it's fresh air. Not intimately familiar with ACVW, just a passing interest.

Nah, the scoop thingy is on right. Google "vw rain deflector".
It's me, I'm the bug feature that always causes derails. There's something in the exhaust pipe, the scoop things is right, but this will go on :(

E: and I'm watching this bit by bit
Usually skipping 5-8 min at a time though because it's so long.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 22, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdMGrQJoa8Y

:anime:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Okay if we're posting some youtube videos, this just came out today. Ken Block's latest gymkhana but this time it's all on sand/dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33A0zZ5qb1Y

Even if you aren't a fan of his videos, skip to 3 minutes in and watch that part.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

But you can see in the shadow that there's something sticking out of the right exhaust pipe.

I found a higher res photo with Google and it's literally the inner steel mesh / baffle that's coming out lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
can i just mention the fiesta st is straight up the most fantastically fun goddamn car. i have like 488 miles on it so far, but goddamn. its just fun to drive. its honestly better than the rsx-s and i love that drat car.