Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

well why not posted:

Wii U is a bad purchase. they're not supported anywhere and any future Nintendo titles will not be on it. It's a dead console and has been for a year. it's fine to pick up if there's stuff you must have on there, but that doesn't seem the case.

I'm actually looking to sell mine, via eBay or SA-Mart, I never intend on getting a Wii U again but there's a lot of digital purchases on the console but I don't know how kosher it is to sell my account as well. Does anyone sell Wii U's with their accounts on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao the wii-u is dope and the game library is amazing there's really no reason not to own one, even if you own a switch

They'll probably slowly creep up in value

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On the other hand,

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
One day a child will ask their parents "how did you guys meet?"
The mother will respond with "Well, I sat next to your father on a plane and he had a Nintendo Switch. At that moment I knew I had to talk to him."

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lmao the wii-u is dope and the game library is amazing there's really no reason not to own one, even if you own a switch

They'll probably slowly creep up in value

Especially with homebrew which is extremely easy to set up. You can do crazy poo poo like natively play GameCube games over HDMI. There's all the Wii stuff too, of course.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Only the top picture and 2nd to last one are accurate :colbert:

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Spacebump posted:

One day a child will ask their parents "how did you guys meet?"
The mother will respond with "Well, I sat next to your father on a plane and he had a Nintendo Switch. At that moment I knew I had to talk to him."

It could happen! A friend of mine met his future wife when he was playing Civ4 on a plane next to her! Plus the Switch is actually cool :D

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Theta Zero posted:

A tic is just how many times per second a server updates a player's location. Games with low tic rates often translate into you getting hit by somebody when you round a corner or conversely a hit not registering because a player is moving too fast or irregularly, depending on the net code.

It doesn't quite matter as much for Splatoon since the movement speed is on the slow side and the game doesn't focus too heavily on combat as other shooters anyways.

Splatoon 2 also updates three times as often as CoD: IW or Blops 3.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Buddy of mine let me borrow his card of Splatoon 2.

I played for several hours, totally dug it. I want to buy it over digital, as I want digital only library - so will my 'save' that I had on my buddy's copy be picked up?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Mister Facetious posted:

Okay that's just sort of sad in that case. What's the numbers?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BoyBlunder posted:

Buddy of mine let me borrow his card of Splatoon 2.

I played for several hours, totally dug it. I want to buy it over digital, as I want digital only library - so will my 'save' that I had on my buddy's copy be picked up?

Yes.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Theta Zero posted:

Okay that's just sort of sad in that case. What's the numbers?

CoD updates 10 times a second (i.e., 10-tic). The framerate, as most players of the game know, is 60.
Six frames of animation per update. That's more than the input lag of basically every television made in the last ten years.
BF4/console Overwatch operate at 30. CS:GO - 60 and up.

As I recall, Splatoon 2 is 30. It was posted months ago in this thread somewhere.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 21, 2017

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if Splats 2 did try and match similar ranked people of similar connection quality, because there are 6 or 7 dudes I am matched up with day after day for the last 2 weeks.

Never had that happen in Splats 1, but happens all the time in this one.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but I read 16 for Splatoon 2 and 20 for Blops 3. e: And 10 or 20 for IW dedicated servers or PtP.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

I don't know where you're getting your numbers but I read 16 for Splatoon 2 and 20 for Blops 3. e: And 10 or 20 for IW dedicated servers or PtP.

That's how many milliseconds between updates.

1000ms/16.66ms = 60 updates per second. 30 up, 30 down.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Spent four hours playing Zelda today. Really fun game.

Early-game question, trying to avoid all spoilers so not going into the main Zelda thread or Googling guides but wanted to ask here:

I'm assuming the only way to get the warm coat from the old man to go to the 3rd shrine is to kill a pig to get raw meat to make the pepper/bass/meat dish. What's the secret to getting the pig to show up and the best way to kill it? They run away every time I get close so I'm guessing the bow but I'm awful with the bow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IllegallySober posted:

Spent four hours playing Zelda today. Really fun game.

Early-game question, trying to avoid all spoilers so not going into the main Zelda thread or Googling guides but wanted to ask here:

I'm assuming the only way to get the warm coat from the old man to go to the 3rd shrine is to kill a pig to get raw meat to make the pepper/bass/meat dish. What's the secret to getting the pig to show up and the best way to kill it? They run away every time I get close so I'm guessing the bow but I'm awful with the bow.

Try turning off motion controls on the Bow. You really need to learn to get good with it to progress in BotW for a bunch of reasons.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah the bow. But you don't need warm clothes to climb into cold areas. You could cook a meal with spicy peppers and another ingredient to have food that gives you cold resistance. You could carry a lit torch.

Also I think the dish he wants might be a specific meat.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You might wanna keep in mind that air shots have a slowdown effect that can make aiming easier.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

That's how many milliseconds between updates.

1000ms/16.66ms = 60 updates per second. 30 up, 30 down.

Nope, I'm talking updates per second.

I'm on mobile, but here's a link. Scroll down to the graphs.

https://octo.im/2017/07/31/splatoon-2-online-multiplayer-analysis/

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 21, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Modus Pwnens posted:

Yeah, I stand corrected. Confirmed with a Google search. That's lovely.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Try turning off motion controls on the Bow. You really need to learn to get good with it to progress in BotW for a bunch of reasons.

Disagree. Motion controls in Zelda rock.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Crawfish posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Splats 2 did try and match similar ranked people of similar connection quality, because there are 6 or 7 dudes I am matched up with day after day for the last 2 weeks.

Never had that happen in Splats 1, but happens all the time in this one.

I think it prefers regional distance. Evidenced by my IP once being geolocated in Mexico and my getting paired up with a suspiciously high percentage of Hispanic names. Same thing happened to me in Destiny.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I finally got myself one of these terrible toy consoles for children. Is there any particular audio-jack-to-bluetooth adapter y'all might recommend?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep practicing. Didn't even think about carrying a torch (you can climb with a lit torch?)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

Cool, thanks guys. I'll keep practicing. Didn't even think about carrying a torch (you can climb with a lit torch?)

Nah, Link will sheathe it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

IllegallySober posted:

There are also other ways to acquire the same coat, if you get through the cold area by some other method. On my first playthrough, I didn't find the hut until about a hundred hours in when I saw it discussed here.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh, also, if you make it to the top without the coat he will show up and be like "here have a warm coat" so that's another option if you want to cram food down your maw repeatedly

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's footpaths.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Yea so in short the evidence doesn't bear out the idea that Splatoon 1 online was vastly worse than Splatoon 2

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Modus Pwnens posted:

I agree with that dude 100% but I hate to say it's just not going to happen (dedicated servers for Splatoon 2.)

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

enojy posted:

I agree with that dude 100% but I hate to say it's just not going to happen (dedicated servers for Splatoon 2.)

Yeah. For what it's worth I don't find it that bad in practice. The high risk of double splatting in head-to-head fighting feels intended and I haven't been splatted around a corner yet.

Once a paid subscription (no matter how cheap) is part of the equation I might have higher standards.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Welp, the problem un-fixed itself. It once again disconnects from every single game of Splatoon 2 I attempt, but rather than right at the beginning it now lets me get to the 1 minute mark or so then DC's.

I really don't get it. Yeah, yeah, "your internet sucks", but no, that's horseshit. I played this a shitton since release and this never had more than 1 DC or so in a long session until two days ago, and now it happens constantly. Can't finish a single match. Never had this problem with Splatoon 1 either. Guess I'm done with this game. I'd be more willing to buy that it was my internet if Splatoon 1, Smash 4, Mario Kart 8 and literally every other game I play over wifi had this problem, but it's just Splatoon 2 and it's just since Friday.

To put it short, I am very angry about squids. Thank you, that is all.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think Sonic Mania is better then almost anything Mario has put out 2D wise since... SMW? Like it's kind of hard to even judge in that regard because the two games are so vastly different in how they play the only comparison that can be made is "you can jump on things"

Mario can rest easy though when it comes to like, Forces vs Odyssey lol.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think Sonic Mania is better then almost anything Mario has put out 2D wise since... SMW? Like it's kind of hard to even judge in that regard because the two games are so vastly different in how they play the only comparison that can be made is "you can jump on things"

Mario can rest easy though when it comes to like, Forces vs Odyssey lol.

I like the NSMB (well U mostly) games and I agree. If there has to be another non-Maker 2D game, I hope it's in a pixel artstyle. 2D platformers just don't work as well with 3D models imo.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man sonic is dope as poo poo and we live in a society where i can make these sick rear end games that are triplle a af and play them is awesome were in the best timeline for videogames fam

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean like a key for all the content like a season pass that gives me all dlc and all 3 games whenever they release like a preorder but for people too lazy too buy some poo poo every few months

Meowsdower
May 25, 2005
I'm an imaginationless drone who can't make his own fun, should I get Minecraft for local co-op? What do you actually do?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Meowsdower posted:

I'm an imaginationless drone who can't make his own fun, should I get Minecraft for local co-op? What do you actually do?

Wait for Dragon Quest Builders 1/2. It has actual objectives and looks cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Meowsdower posted:

Exploring random maps can be pretty fun. I don't know if you can download premade adventure maps on the console versions but that can be fun as well with friends.

• Locked thread