Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Is their plan to primary Straus or to primary enough of his supporters that he loses the next speaker race?

Their plan was to change the way they elect speaker in the House so that Democrats couldn't help, which shows how desperate they are. If you want my worthless opinion on how the next election is going to go, the D's are going to add seats this time and FC dudes are going to be real weak. State house races across the nation have seen D's in Trump districts massively out perform him in special elections, and I think you're going to have an extremely motivated Democratic base and an embarrassed and apathetic GOP base, which is not a recipe for strengthening your far-right caucus. I don't think the House is gonna flip but I don't think that the far-right is going to have a stronger hand in 2019. Rinaldi at least is toast. There's also the possibility that "normal" Republicans are going to say "enough of this bullshit" and purge their own party.
https://twitter.com/TexasMonthly/status/897896345989775385

Hotze seems to think it's worth spending a poo poo load of money in Strauss' district to try to unseat him, and they are for sure going to heavily spend to keep their guys and add new ones. I think Briscoe Cain of all people has the largest war chest out of anyone, and that's all Empower Texas money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Despite what appeared to be an ellaborate effort to show he is mentally unfit for trial, defense attorney Adam Reposa was denied a competency evaluation in his criminal contempt case.

Reposa arrived to Thursday’s hearing at a Travis County courtroom in cowboy boots, short white pants, a pink blazer, a sailor hat, and an untied bow tie — an ensemble seemingly meant to suggest he had gone off the deep end.

To drive home the point, Reposa, who interacted coherently with spectators and media before and during the hearing, feigned ignorance of the proceedings.

“I don’t understand any of this,” Reposa, who has been a licensed attorney since 2003, told the judge. “I don’t know what anyone is talking about. I don’t know who any of you are.”

No one was buying it, including Judge Paul Davis, who denied the motion for an evaluation. The ruling means Reposa will not be tested for competency and will be able to assist his attorneys in his case.

Reposa is accused by County Court-at-Law Judge Nancy Hohengarten of multiple infractions, including continuing to ask a question to a potential juror after she cautioned him to stop, and of telling the judge within earshot of jurors that it’s difficult to get a fair trial in her court. In a related legal matter, a grand jury will soon hear allegations that Hohengarten wrongfully restricted Reposa’s questions.

http://www.statesman.com/news/crime--law/dressed-impress-adam-reposa-denied-competency-evaluation-trial-set/DVlaO9qXZZmvpzkS1SmAuI/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLTW-KLdHA

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jbaugh/status/898334258254577664

Now I'm curious as to whether this happens a lot

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/jbaugh/status/898334258254577664

Now I'm curious as to whether this happens a lot

Whether elected officials file at all? Or whether they file after being told not to because it would be rejected?

On its face the article seems like a curiosity but little else, until you read the part where she doesn't qualify anyway, was told as much, and filled anyway.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
One day adam reposa is gonna get disbarred, and the world will be just a little bit dimmer for it.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Willie Tomg posted:

One day adam reposa is gonna get disbarred, and the world will be just a little bit dimmer for it.

Normally I'd agree but he went beyond the pale this time for me! He disrespected Judge Hohengarten whom I have a soft spot since she married me and my wife 11 and a half years ago during our lunch break! My wife and I agreed years ago that regardless of political affiliation(and we are on opposite ends of the political spectrum) we would always support Judge Hohengarten. That said, I love the idea of Adam Reposa driving his truck through people and prosecutors in his way!

edit: got rid of weird pseudo double post from phone

spoon daddy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 19, 2017

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Willie Tomg posted:

THIS IS MY TRUCK!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

https://twitter.com/PhilPrazan/status/898688171596062720

We shouldn't take down statues because we have other statues

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Ohhhhh, so the statues erected during Jim Crow weren't symbols of oppression - they were signs of solidarity from enlightened Southerners. My bad!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Lieutenant Dan learns history exclusively through statuary, please don't be mean

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dallas is growing up and becoming a real city. Long overdue.

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/899141205610639360

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

UT is taking down the rest of its confederate statues, apparently tonight.

https://twitter.com/marymhuber/status/899482486635466753

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

UT is taking down the rest of its confederate statues, apparently tonight.

https://twitter.com/marymhuber/status/899482486635466753

Yesss

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

All the people commenting on UT's Facebook post about this saying they're never going to donate again because of the DANG LIBS makes me almost want to donate, which is probably the most shocking thing that's happened to me this year.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Usually when I see this thread at the top it's bad news, but not today.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the maddest people I know are Aggies that are throwing out the t-sip line

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Good move. Now watch the legislature threaten their funding or some other petty bullshit because of it. Really I'm surprised there were so many there to begin with.

We have just one at A&M, a statue of Sul Ross, but though he was a confederate general the statue is there to commemorate his tenure as an influential early president of A&M. Also he's evidence of the incredible failure that was reconstruction, because he was also governor of the state for a time after the war, and what the gently caress were they thinking allowing confederate military officers to hold office. But anyway, eh, I don't have any strong feelings against the statue.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Good move. Now watch the legislature threaten their funding or some other petty bullshit because of it. Really I'm surprised there were so many there to begin with.

We have just one at A&M, a statue of Sul Ross, but though he was a confederate general the statue is there to commemorate his tenure as an influential early president of A&M. Also he's evidence of the incredible failure that was reconstruction, because he was also governor of the state for a time after the war, and what the gently caress were they thinking allowing confederate military officers to hold office. But anyway, eh, I don't have any strong feelings against the statue.

Similarly, in Houston they renamed Sidney Lanier Middle School to Bob Lanier Middle School but although Sidney Lanier was a soldier in the Confederate army, he was known for his work as a poet/musician/writer and not for anything to do with the Confederacy itself as far as I can tell. It was at the same time that they renamed six other schools that were far more closely associated with the Confederacy in general, so it seems like Lanier got caught as part of broad brush strokes to help clean up but oh well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the maddest people I know are Aggies that are throwing out the t-sip line

Gah the Longhorns' one weakness....

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

What's the t-sip line?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

Yep, as far as I know Sully is a sculpture of an influential former school administrator (who happened to be a confederate soldier) and not just a confederate not attached to the school in any way. SPLC says to consider the history of these things to determine how to act.

https://www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/whoseheritage_splc.pdf page 36 posted:

It’s important to find out the history of the symbol in your community. The popular lore about why the symbol is displayed may not reflect the true history. Even historical markers and brochures for some displays may not accurately tell the story. This means taking the time to conduct research online, at the library or state archives.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/21/us/houston-confederate-statue-attempted-vandalism/index.html

So this happened in Houston Saturday:

"A 25-year-old man is in custody after he was found with explosive materials near the Dick Dowling Confederate monument in Houston.

Andrew Schneck faces a charge of attempting to maliciously damage property receiving federal financial assistance, according to a criminal complaint filed Monday in a US District Court. It's a federal case because Hermann Park, where the Dowling statue is located, receives federal funding for its maintenance. Dowling had been hailed as a Confederate war hero in Houston during the Civil War, serving in the Jefferson Davis Guards.

According to the criminal complaint, a Houston park ranger spotted Schneck kneeling in the bushes near the Dowling statue on Saturday.
The ranger saw Schneck holding two small boxes, including "what appeared to be duct tape and wires," FBI Special Agent Patrick Hutchinson wrote in the complaint.
"While placing the boxes on the ground, Schneck took a clear plastic bottle appearing to be full of a clear liquid from one of the boxes," the complaint said. "Scheck then proceeded to drink from the bottle, then immediately spit the liquid on the ground ... Schneck then proceeded to pour the contents of the bottle on the ground next to him."

An analysis of the liquid later revealed it was "most likely nitroglycerin," which is "one of the world's most powerful explosives" when undiluted, the FBI agent wrote."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

What's the t-sip line?

Something like the Aggies fought ww2 while the longhorns stayed home and sipped tea.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I grew up in Bryan and lemme tell you Post Oak Mall sure had a lot of stores that sold shirts quoting generals about how good aggies are at war.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ReidRansom posted:

Sul Ross was... actually an okay to good governor, to my understanding.

Which is why UT isn't stuffing their own statue of him into the Traitor States Memorial Back Grotto. :v:

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

ReidRansom posted:

Basically what we did in germany, worked out pretty well. Meanwhile what you are suggesting is similar to what happened in Iraq when bush disbanded the army.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even though we have our own dark history w/r/t slavery (like the fact that the Republic of Texas exists is due to Mexico banning slavery), Texas doesn't have that connection to deep South culture that the rest of the CSA states have. We never had a massive plantation culture and of the Confederate states we had the lowest per capita slave population (30% compared to 55% in MS). This is not to exculpate Texas from its shameful past as a slave state, just that you'd think that appeals to the genteel and honorable Southern way of life wouldn't wash here. There are parts of East Texas that are certainly the Deep South but the rest of the state is different, in my view. That is to say, that it should be easier to get rid of Confederate monuments here than elsewhere.

e: Also I haven't been to Six Flags in years but it sounds like it's getting fairly lit
https://twitter.com/eramshaw/status/899996575468068864

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 22, 2017

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Never heard of Pat Fallon but I guess add him to the "piece of poo poo" list

quote:

Last month, Rep. Pat Fallon filed legislation to protect motorists who hit demonstrators “blocking traffic in a public right-of-way” if the driver exercises “due care.” House Bill 250 would protect drivers against civil liability only but would not lessen criminal penalties for deadly hit-and-runs, a second-degree felony in Texas.

quote:

Rep. Fallon pitched a fit when people pointed out his bill and the potential it had for making life easier for someone who might feel the need to dish out a little four-wheeled havoc.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I live a few miles away from Robert E Lee park in Dallas where there is a statue of him and a recreation of his plantation house. I've never quite understood why it's there.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Quandary posted:

I live a few miles away from Robert E Lee park in Dallas where there is a statue of him and a recreation of his plantation house. I've never quite understood why it's there.

It was part of the New Deal works program.

Also racism.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Even though we have our own dark history w/r/t slavery (like the fact that the Republic of Texas exists is due to Mexico banning slavery), Texas doesn't have that connection to deep South culture that the rest of the CSA states have. We never had a massive plantation culture and of the Confederate states we had the lowest per capita slave population (30% compared to 55% in MS). This is not to exculpate Texas from its shameful past as a slave state, just that you'd think that appeals to the genteel and honorable Southern way of life wouldn't wash here. There are parts of East Texas that are certainly the Deep South but the rest of the state is different, in my view. That is to say, that it should be easier to get rid of Confederate monuments here than elsewhere.
I agree but would complicate the reasons for this. I think the big difference in Texas is the relative power of corporations. Texas is culturally different but I'd also argue that it was once more Southern than Texans generally tend to think ... and it was made less Southern by the deliberate effort of big business in the 20th century.

It was Dixie as all getout for awhile but the bidnessmen who struck it rich with oil wanted to quietly pivot the state's "brand" away from the Klan. The Alamo (restored in the 1930s) and cowboys and the optimistic, bootstrap-pulling "West" filled in the gap, but that's mostly a recent invention as a cultural identity. In Houston, they built a rodeo because they decided "we're Texan therefore we need a rodeo" rather than the other way around, because Houston never had cattle drivers. Fort Worth is different, though.

Here's an interesting article about it: http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/is-texas-southern-western-or-truly-a-lone-star/

My suspicion is the big drive behind cities and UT wanting their statues gone is a crash attempt to avoid another Charlottesville. And it should be easier if business is breathing down their necks about it. Having Nazis or militia gunmen rallying to "save" statues, or anti-fascists sneaking up in the middle of the night to blow them up, is not a good look.

Edit: Anyways a new dorky fascist group (which I think is probably a splinter of Vanguard Texas) popped up in town. Guess the state and the cities are not the only ones in a rebranding mood post-Charlottesville:

https://twitter.com/TheDentonite/status/899029999684136960
https://twitter.com/NationalBlocTX/status/898914315994112001
There's a photo of the guy in there with his face covered and he practically looks like a kid to me. Well he scared the hell out of a bunch of college girls in lieu of getting laid by them. Mission accomplished I guess.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 22, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quandary posted:

Economic anxiety that just happened to flare up post-Reconstruction or in the Civil Rights Era.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Economic anxiety that just happened to flare up post-Reconstruction or in the Civil Rights Era.

Well it was dedicated by FDR in the middle of the Great Depression so there was some economic anxiety going around.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/900049148967358465

:whitewater:

So it's going to be her or the other Huffines twin....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fL8UAr3xU

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 22, 2017

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

ReidRansom posted:

Littlefield was an oil millionaire who was also a Confederate officer. Shockingly, when he donated the fountain and the statues in the 1920s, he was still real loving racist.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Things are never going to get better in Texas. This is the kind of garbage in the pipeline to national politics. What happened to all the compassionate conservatives that caused them to get replaced by true believers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/chucklindell/status/900469039427932160

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/900469236480573440

Ehehehe

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 23, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Things are never going to get better in Texas. This is the kind of garbage in the pipeline to national politics. What happened to all the compassionate conservatives that caused them to get replaced by true believers?

It's going to get better. They can't depress voter turnout forever.
https://twitter.com/cbsaustin/status/900477375263256579

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Texas House district 106 isn't exactly what I'd call voter suppressed. It's suburb/exurb hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Edit: Anyways a new dorky fascist group (which I think is probably a splinter of Vanguard Texas) popped up in town. Guess the state and the cities are not the only ones in a rebranding mood post-Charlottesville:

https://twitter.com/TheDentonite/status/899029999684136960
https://twitter.com/NationalBlocTX/status/898914315994112001
There's a photo of the guy in there with his face covered and he practically looks like a kid to me. Well he scared the hell out of a bunch of college girls in lieu of getting laid by them. Mission accomplished I guess.

Git outta my town ya varmints! :argh: