Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone is on the fence now is the time to buy a 1950x, EBAY has 20% off electrical goods

Scarecow fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Scarecow posted:

If anyone is on the fence now is the time to buy a 1950x, EBAY has 20% off electrical goods

Also in Europe? I don't use Ebay that much and have no clue where you even see what deals they are running.......

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Scarecow posted:

Link?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
woops sorry looks to be Australian ebay only https://www.ebay.com.au/

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it might be 2T at 2933, since ryzen by default demands 1T memory timings unless you update the bios to one with a newer AGESA version (not all of the mobos out now have it although new ones are shipping with it)

though 1T 2800 might be faster than 2T 2933 and if it's stable there after some stress runs i'd say go with it
The MB is an Asus Prime B350 Plus, and I upgraded to BIOS 806 they released not too long ago includes AGESA 1.0.0.6. The memory is sold as 3000MHz 15-17-17-35. It's set to 2800MHz 15-17-17-35 but seems to end up as 16-17-17-35 when it's actually booted.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
AMD Zen is different from other platforms in which it tries a multitude of ram timings prior to boot (you can configure the number of attempts) and then uses whatever works. It might take 3+ tries to get 2933+ running. You can set 15-17-17-35 and get 16-17-17-35 like you saw.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I think it's been mentioned a few times, but Ryzen prefers even-numbered CAS latency. 12, 14, 16, etc. So you'll have to figure out if you're better off with tighter timings or higher frequency, usually frequency wins though.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I am thinking about ordering the following parts and I was just curious if anyone sees anything wrong with them. It's been awhile since building my own system:

code:
ThreadRipper 1950x
Asrock Taichi X399
2 x G-Skill Flare DDR4 16GB
Samsung 960Pro M2 SSD
Corsair Hxi Series HXi 1000
Phanteks P400s
NZXT Kraken X62 Cooling
I already have a vid-card, so that saves quite a bit. Any comments or recommendation are welcome.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make sure its 3200cl14 or better ram
And since its quad channel get 32gb

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Make sure its 3200cl14 or better ram
And since its quad channel get 32gb

I thought the FlareX stuff was especially tested with the new AMD chips. And they are 4 sticks of 8GB, so it is 32 GB.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

code:
Samsung 960Pro M2 SSD

You could save a little money by getting the EVO instead of the pro. You'll never notice the difference between the two unless you run SSD benchmarks for a living.

Filthy scum
Jul 7, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I thought the FlareX stuff was especially tested with the new AMD chips. And they are 4 sticks of 8GB, so it is 32 GB.

Looks good on qvl.
https://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3200c14d-16gfx

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Krailor posted:

You could save a little money by getting the EVO instead of the pro. You'll never notice the difference between the two unless you run SSD benchmarks for a living.

The pro is much faster if you do enough writes to overrun the SLC buffer.. it is quite possible to notice the difference.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

redeyes posted:

The pro is much faster if you do enough writes to overrun the SLC buffer.. it is quite possible to notice the difference.

Sure, but a lot of people aren't going to do that and don't need it for a corner case they'll probably never run into.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

redeyes posted:

What kind of filesize threshold are we looking at here? I'm a nerd and l don't like it when my hard drives slack off when I need them the most (ie: large file transfers that take forever because they're already large file transfers)

edit: yeah sorry this is the AMD thread. But thanks cause that answers my question, not a huge difference but some use cases for it.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 19, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The "SLC Cache" is several gigabytes in size, iirc. A quick googling suggests the 128gb drives have 3GB of cache, the 500gb has 8gb, and the 1TB has 12gb. No idea if that's accurate, I'd ask the SSD thread.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PerrineClostermann posted:

The "SLC Cache" is several gigabytes in size, iirc. A quick googling suggests the 128gb drives have 3GB of cache, the 500gb has 8gb, and the 1TB has 12gb. No idea if that's accurate, I'd ask the SSD thread.

Yeah that sounds about right. The larger the drive, the more SLC cache.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I always thought the Pro versions were a little more durable, mind you this is from the Samsung 840 days that I have this info, I don't know if it is still relevant with the M2 versions.

I do have to say that both of my 840 Pro 256s are still trucking along, never had a problem with them.

QVL?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Pro is a lot more durable. Whether that matters or not depends on what you do.

I'd get a bigger capacity evo over a pro.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I always thought the Pro versions were a little more durable, mind you this is from the Samsung 840 days that I have this info, I don't know if it is still relevant with the M2 versions.

I do have to say that both of my 840 Pro 256s are still trucking along, never had a problem with them.

QVL?
Unless you're constantly writing terabytes of data to your Samsung SSDs every day, you're not going to see any Samsung SSD die unless there's been some catastrophic failure/mishap that would be covered under warranty.

Click the QVL tab on that page. QVL = Qualified Vendor List, it contains all the motherboards that G.Skill can verify they've tested that RAM at the DOCP (preset memory profile) speeds listed on the packaging.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Risky Bisquick posted:

AMD Zen is different from other platforms in which it tries a multitude of ram timings prior to boot (you can configure the number of attempts) and then uses whatever works. It might take 3+ tries to get 2933+ running. You can set 15-17-17-35 and get 16-17-17-35 like you saw.
It does seem to do a cycle before it starts to boot proper, so I thought for now I'd set the timing to 16 and leave further investigation for later. However it turns out it can't boot if I set it to 16-17-17-35 and it eventually gives up and reverts to stock.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
the last time i looked, the pro had a 5 year warranty and the evo was 2

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

the last time i looked, the pro had a 5 year warranty and the evo was 2

It's actually 5 years on the EVO line and 10 on the Pro line. My 128gb 840 Pro only has 1340 days powered on so I guess if I don't like these reallocated sectors I can get an RMA sometime in the next 6 years.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Unless you're constantly writing terabytes of data to your Samsung SSDs every day, you're not going to see any Samsung SSD die unless there's been some catastrophic failure/mishap that would be covered under warranty.

SSDs are hilariously over-provisioned. That test from 2014? Link. showed that it took ~300TB of wear on the smaller 840 EVOs before hash checks started failing, yet didn't fully die until somewhere around 800TB (!). They started in June 2014, and it took until March 2015 for the last of the drives to die.

eames
May 9, 2009

Yup. The german heise c't magazine did a similar test, 850 Pros lasted 2.1-9.1 Petabytes written, a 750 Evo lasted 1.2 PBW.
It's going to be hard for the average consumer to hit those limits, even with Spotify going rogue and thrashing 40GB/day into its cache we're looking at a lifetime of over 80 years in the case of the 750 Evo. :v:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
My 850 EVO died in 2 years never buying Samsung again. Sticking with Kingston or Corsair.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

My 850 EVO died in 2 years never buying Samsung again. Sticking with Kingston or Corsair.

Baby, bathwater etc.? Or am I falling for :thejoke:?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
100% baby, bathwater, burn the house down and salt the earth.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

You must mean stick with Intel or Western Digital (sandisk) since Kingston and Corsair don't make NAND.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 21, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

eames posted:

It's going to be hard for the average consumer to hit those limits, even with Spotify going rogue and thrashing 40GB/day into its cache we're looking at a lifetime of over 80 years in the case of the 750 Evo. :v:
I'd still rather not.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The coders at Spotify should be forced to use a low end netbook with a spinner until they fix that garbage.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought it was fixed a long time ago?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

I thought it was fixed a long time ago?

It (supposedly) was.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It was never really writing 40 GB a day, due to how disk caches work.

eames
May 9, 2009

I only used that as an example because I couldn't think of any other average computer user workload that generates 40GB of writes per day.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eames posted:

I only used that as an example because I couldn't think of any other average computer user workload that generates 40GB of writes per day.

Using it as a cache drive can thrash it pretty hard, depending on how much turnover it's getting.

ShadowPlay can also generate a large volume of writes if Instant Replay is enabled, since it's basically writing at its capture rate any time you are playing a game (or any time the computer is running, if Desktop Capture is enabled). It's not going to kill a drive by itself, but all these things do add up, and if you throw in some 10x-100x write amplification (small random writes, or running a drive that isn't sufficiently overprovisioned very close to full) we are now talking about enough data to potentially burn up the flash within a relevant timeframe (years).

I wouldn't put major effort into minimizing writes but if there's obviously stupid things that are spamming writes then it's worth taking 30 seconds to turn them off.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

fishmech posted:

Can you elaborate on this, as it seemed like there was a decent bit of confirmation that it was continuously overwriting locally stored files. I'm honestly curious.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yet Samsung Magician noticed over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yet Samsung Magician noticed over here.

Yeah I checked a friends computer and it was in fact writing way way too much. Maybe the new metro app fixes it?