Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone else picture this guy as every union rep in New York?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It looks so much like a screen cap from SNL

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I refuse to believe that is real. It just can't be.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

As a Bostonian who has seen this guy's occasional antics (he's a failed radio talk-show host, his show on a backwater station got canceled after 6 weeks), it is fake.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

I refuse to believe that is real. It just can't be.

Are you still in Miami Center? I may have talked to you recently on frequency. I got VFR FF through uncongested areas for a cross country flight but picking my callsign out of the enormous volume of frequency traffic sucked and I didn't bother on subsequent legs

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

Are you still in Miami Center? I may have talked to you recently on frequency. I got VFR FF through uncongested areas for a cross country flight but picking my callsign out of the enormous volume of frequency traffic sucked and I didn't bother on subsequent legs

Yup. If you talked to anyone on 127.2, 132.45, 135.17 or 134.55, it may have been me.

Where are these uncontested areas you speak of?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

MrYenko posted:

Yup. If you talked to anyone on 127.2, 132.45, 135.17 or 134.55, it may have been me.

Where are these uncontested areas you speak of?

Low level VFR west to Immokalee and then Naples. I definitely spent some time on 132.45 but it was relatively minimal because I didn't need anything on the way out, and didn't ask for FF (because of how hellaciously busy center and Approach were) on the way back

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

a patagonian cavy posted:

Low level VFR west to Immokalee and then Naples. I definitely spent some time on 132.45 but it was relatively minimal because I didn't need anything on the way out, and didn't ask for FF (because of how hellaciously busy center and Approach were) on the way back

If you went west south of PHK or so, we own down to the surface, but it's only a ~60nm wide corridor between Palm Beach and Fort Myers approach controls. As you get farther south, it gets even narrower. If you tune 135.17 and you hear a different controller from 132.45, that's how you know we're REALLY busy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Privatization seems to be dead for the moment after it was rejected by the Senate panel looking at it. I'm not at all surprised.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Paul was pretty certain it wasn't going to go anywhere this time.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Paul was pretty certain it wasn't going to go anywhere this time.

It's something I haven't really seen discussed that much, but I think that giving away the tens of billions of dollars in assets the FAA has is going to be a pretty big sticking point.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
He came to our local union meeting a week ago so we got to hear it straight from the source. It was a good talk. And I think he appreciated that we weren't screaming at him like some facilities tend to do.

D10 is too busy trying not to collapse under the weight of its trainees to worry too much about anything else.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tropical storm blowing its load all over your state? No fucks given. "Normal ops out the gates, we'll get you in-trail when it starts to get busy."

:shepicide:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Tropical storm blowing its load all over your state? No fucks given. "Normal ops out the gates, we'll get you in-trail when it starts to get busy."

:shepicide:

Your TMU sounds like it might be worse than ours. I still haven't been properly convinced that ours has lines out to do things, only lines in to take orders from everyone around us.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah overall it's an improvement. I learned the "old way" first but only had to undo a year's worth of habit vs. my coworkers that had said it the old way for decades.

They've recently added the requirement that runway crossings must specify the taxiway to use as well. Yes, even when aircraft are already holding short at the runway. This adds a layer of redundancy to ensure the aircraft is where the controller thinks they are.

Hell, it all changes all the time and no one tells anyone anything... Our line up procedures changed because of the US rules on landing lights on the runway...

Also, we do stop before runways out of habit too... I like US controllers (although 1 SAY AGAIN SLOWLY :P and 2 install loving CPDLC) - try Tanzania/Kenya... we used to double drop Mombasa and Kilmanjaro at around 0300... no lights no nothing... The controllers there did remember to warn us about the potholes though...

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

fknlo posted:

Anyone else picture this guy as every union rep in New York?

Don't laugh too hard - for those who remember be from Wisconsin goonps I am now a union council member... We are not all that big

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Some controllers I've worked with are much bigger.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Some controllers I've worked with are much bigger.

We have the usual assortment of fat guys but one of the FLM's in another area is massive. Dude used to be in the military and was also a black belt in some martial art as well. Good enough to almost make the olympics kind of stuff. He got the diabeetus not too long ago and maybe lost a little weight but it's still only a a matter of time.

There's another guy in TMU that has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pounds at minimum over the past year or two. He wasn't quite as big as the FLM but he was a big guy. It's an impressive amount of lost weight.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

fknlo posted:

We have the usual assortment of fat guys but one of the FLM's in another area is massive. Dude used to be in the military and was also a black belt in some martial art as well. Good enough to almost make the olympics kind of stuff. He got the diabeetus not too long ago and maybe lost a little weight but it's still only a a matter of time.

There's another guy in TMU that has lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pounds at minimum over the past year or two. He wasn't quite as big as the FLM but he was a big guy. It's an impressive amount of lost weight.

I'm definitely a big guy, 6'2" 265lbs. So of course, when four of the fire chiefs wanted to come over and watch from the tower cab as their guys did a simulated response, I was the one to show them around. I was the smallest of the 5 of us by far, and the tower elevator got crowded with 3 regular sized people in it. I've never had to suck it in so hard in my life, and I was not completely certain the elevator would actually make it to the top.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I am unreasonably excited:

Automated point-outs in EAD700.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I am unreasonably excited:

Automated point-outs in EAD700.

Nothing unreasonable about being excited about that. The less I have to talk to people the better.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Sorry for the double post but just ran some dysim problems with our new CPC-IT from Albuquerque. She's adamant that terminating radar service for a guy on approach at a non-towered airport is the same thing as cancelling their IFR. I will admit I throw in unnecessary verbiage and redundancy with "radar service terminated, frequency change approved" since they both do the same thing and I guess maybe that's what threw her off? I even talked with a couple of different controllers to make sure that I haven't been doing it wrong the whole time(outside of the redundancy) and no one has said anything to me about it and they all agreed that I've been doing it properly. I wasn't completely sure I'd gotten her to believe me even after talking to other people and that was confirmed after a friend overheard her saying "but that's cancelling their flight plan, you can't do that" to someone else after I'd left. I guess someone else is going to have to go over that with her?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

quote:

I guess someone else is going to have to go over that with her?

I guess so.

Radar services are not the same thing as IFR clearances. It takes some mental gymnastics to gently caress that up, but I've definitely heard it before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
One of the towered airports in my airspace is apparently one of the prime eclipse viewing spots. It and the other towered airport 10 miles away are expecting as many as 200+ airplanes to fly in. :suicide:

They're supposedly going to get us one extra body though!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I swear. All I want is for this person at aerospace medicine to call me back and tell me whether my medical has been signed off or not. I fully understand that I'm not going to be the only person calling, but I'm not going to just give up.
The sooner they tell me "yeah your medical and drug screen are all good and done," the sooner I stop calling them every week and start poking at my HR rep.

fknlo posted:

One of the towered airports in my airspace is apparently one of the prime eclipse viewing spots. It and the other towered airport 10 miles away are expecting as many as 200+ airplanes to fly in. :suicide:

They're supposedly going to get us one extra body though!

My cousin at PDX said they were talking about opening a temp tower at one of the airports nearby to accommodate all the extra traffic force the Portland area.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

its all nice on rice posted:

My cousin at PDX said they were talking about opening a temp tower at one of the airports nearby to accommodate all the extra traffic force the Portland area.

VUO? They've done it before, most notably when PDX's south runway was closed and all the traffic was on the north runway and thus closer to Pearson.

Madras Municipal/S33 is also dead center in the totality zone and will have a temp tower for a few days due to the Solarfest nearby which is something like 15,000 people. They even wrote up a NOTAM for it.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

The Ferret King posted:

I guess so.

Radar services are not the same thing as IFR clearances. It takes some mental gymnastics to gently caress that up, but I've definitely heard it before.

And I have to say that confusion my friends is why I know of no European long haul pilot who is ever visual in the US.... gently caress non IFR go-arounds...

We are explicitly told in our manuals to NOT declare visual in any circumstances unless there is no other traffic... Not because of the approach, but because of the shitstorm of the go around no longer being as published.

hjp766 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 12, 2017

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

aunt jemima posted:

VUO? They've done it before, most notably when PDX's south runway was closed and all the traffic was on the north runway and thus closer to Pearson.

Madras Municipal/S33 is also dead center in the totality zone and will have a temp tower for a few days due to the Solarfest nearby which is something like 15,000 people. They even wrote up a NOTAM for it.

Can't remember which airport she mentioned. She and her husband are both super duper excited about all the extra traffic flying in to Portland for the eclipse, though.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

hjp766 posted:

And I have to say that confusion my friends is why I know of no European long haul pilot who is ever visual in the US.... gently caress non IFR go-arounds...

We are explicitly told in our manuals to NOT declare visual in any circumstances unless there is no other traffic... Not because of the approach, but because of the shitstorm of the go around no longer being as published.

In my airplane, I set TPA, press toga, "go around flaps 2, pos rate, gear up. HDG. Flight level change speed 210. Flaps 1. Flaps 0." usually at that point atc is giving you instructions either back to a downwind or something else and you spin the heading knob over. It's assholes and elbows sure and I could see that you would want to avoid that after a long haul flight from europe, though... but not really too different from us calling FMS nav for the published missed, which sometimes has alts that have to be complied with, etc.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The area just came to the conclusion that of the 15 controllers and trainees plugged in a few minutes ago, 12 have full beards.

:reject:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Fantastic. All is according to plan

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

FK can share his with the other 3

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

15 controllers and trainees plugged in a few minutes ago

Holy poo poo that's a ton of people! Excluding the mid we have 18 controllers and trainees total for the morning and evening shift today.

To be fair, you guys work way more traffic than us.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Holy poo poo that's a ton of people! Excluding the mid we have 18 controllers and trainees total for the morning and evening shift today.

To be fair, you guys work way more traffic than us.

We had training on literally every single open position, with several D-sides that probably wouldn't be staffed if they weren't training. And I was counting myself, and I was in the process of getting a low pass.

My beard remains supreme. I know you were all wondering.

:bigtran:

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

The Ferret King posted:

Fantastic. All is according to plan

The virus is contagious? Do you all use your beards as a combined neural network or something?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
This is pretty loving insane. It's great to hear the multiple OM's talk about how they weren't expecting this.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

This is pretty loving insane. It's great to hear the multiple OM's talk about how they weren't expecting this.

We're getting shithammered too, and we're a couple hundred miles from totality. Everyone with an airplane is using it, today.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

MrYenko posted:

We're getting shithammered too, and we're a couple hundred miles from totality. Everyone with an airplane is using it, today.

:getin:

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
I got pulled out of our training department (already got an R-side class) to D-side because my area probably has the best eclipse viewing in the country. Holy poo poo, I've never seen our strip bay that full. It is bonkers right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

It's so stupid. I actually lost the picture for the first time today. Switched out with my D-side real quick, he kicked some serious rear end.