Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Sanford posted:

Grange Hill had a two-year storyline with a major character descending into heroin addiction, in 1986-87.

There's an episode of The IT Crowd where Matt Berry's character finds out he's dating someone who "used to be a man". The revelation results in a fistfight. It's only a few years old and the whole episode is really really uncomfortable.

I was torn about this. Part of it was that Douglas is such a dumbass that he would screw up a wonderful relationship without even considering that maybe he should rethink his values and work it out with a woman he clearly loved, who was standing in front of him sobbing and begging him not to hurt her. That part got to me. It seemed like one of the few examples of honest emotion from someone on the show who wasn't terrible or an idiot. Of course then they both beat the poo poo out of each other so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Alan Moore varies pretty incredibly wildly in quality but his height, From Hell, is probably the greatest graphic novel ever written.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My Alan Moore story is that I disliked him ever since he bitched about DC's Blackest Night screwing with his one-shot take by expanding it into a thing that got me into reading Green Lantern (and comics in general).

Hell, this is (sorta) content, because Alan Moores take on it absolutely does not hold up for poo poo.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

I was torn about this. Part of it was that Douglas is such a dumbass that he would screw up a wonderful relationship without even considering that maybe he should rethink his values and work it out with a woman he clearly loved, who was standing in front of him sobbing and begging him not to hurt her. That part got to me. It seemed like one of the few examples of honest emotion from someone on the show who wasn't terrible or an idiot. Of course then they both beat the poo poo out of each other so who knows.

It also starts so well when you think he knows she's trans but doesn't care. At the end he misses her so I think their heart was in the right place but jesus they hosed the dog.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

EmmyOk posted:

It also starts so well when you think he knows she's trans but doesn't care. At the end he misses her so I think their heart was in the right place but jesus they hosed the dog.

He's such a pig-headed misogynist but also so obsessed with sex and hedonism that when he says he's okay with it, it's really surprising and funny but also makes perfect sense that he would go so far into "women are sexual objects" and "everything's okay if it gets you off" that he would loop back around to being open-minded and progressive. People who reach the right conclusion for the wrong reasons is always a great source for comedy and him not caring that his girlfriend's trans not because he's not a bigot but simply because the sex is good is an amazing twist. And then they ruin it by taking the easy way out.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Him freaking out about it made sense because he's a terrible shallow person. The weird part was that their relationship was a montage of stereotypically man stuff like watching football and chugging beers and eating pizza and then having a fistfight, because she's a bloke, get it. Not a woman. She's got nice tits but is actually a man, haha.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one were they sued over?

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. As far as I know it's the only movie based on his works that has his name in the credits.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. As far as I know it's the only movie based on his works that has his name in the credits.

I see. Do you know were they being sued because somebody held (or thought they held) the rights to one or other of the characters or was it by one of the other authors who'd done that whole metatextual crossover thing before LoEG?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

My Alan Moore story is that I disliked him ever since he bitched about DC's Blackest Night screwing with his one-shot take by expanding it into a thing that got me into reading Green Lantern (and comics in general).

Hell, this is (sorta) content, because Alan Moores take on it absolutely does not hold up for poo poo.

I really hope this doesn't sound snobbish, 'cos I love some really stupid and childish stuff, but someone really needs to take Moore aside and say "This stuff you're complaining about? It's stories about flying men in capes beating up aliens. Maybe you don't need to take it too seriously. Oh, and comics have been reinventing themselves since pretty much day one. Someone changing something you did or expanding on it isn't a personal insult."

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Choco1980 posted:

I always liked the episode all about vampires that had Luke Wilson as the Aw Shucks small town sheriff that Mulder makes fun of Scully for liking.

That's Bad Blood, yeah that was one of the best episodes they ever did. Fantastic ending and humor.

For something not aging well, Stargate SG1 season 7 episode, "Fragile Balance." In this episode team leader Jack reverts to being 15 years old. By the end of the episode, it turns out the 15 year old Jack is a clone, and the real version was in alien stasis. The 15 year old Jack has all of the memories and experience of his older self, and by the end of the episode he is still alive and healthy, and 50 year old Jack is also back.

That's when it gets weird. At this point in the show, Jack is the most experienced team leader the Air Force has in confronting existential alien threats. He's travelled further from Earth than any other human, is an Air Force Colonel with the highest clearances, and has friendships with advanced civilizations critical to saving humanity. Additionally, he has experienced major tramua including the accidental death of his son that was his fault, divorce, killing dozens of enemies, and being tortured.

So the Stargate program has the rare opportunity to make use of a "back-up" Jack whose only disadvantage would be his physical immaturity, which would cease to be an issue in a few years, and would become a plus as he would be able to stay with the program for an extra half century.

So is Jack 2 put in charge of his own team? Sent to be an ambassador to the Asgard or Tok'ra? Nah, he is shipped off to be a high school sophomore. Which might make sense if Jack 2 had really been 15 and needed a chance to live his life, but this character had the mental state of a 50 year old man and was completely willing to continue battling dire threats to Earth. Sending him off to high school makes no sense, he'd be bored out of his mind to no purpose. Additionally, as he was plucked out of nowhere he has no family, house, or social structure (other than a vague "the Air Force will provide.")

Worst of all, when Jack 2 was dropped off at high school and asked if he would be ok, he checks out some female students and confirms he will be alright. He's a 50 year old man who's been in the body of a 15 year old for a week, he really really shouldn't be attracted to children.

drat, season 6 was fantastic. I dunno about 7 so far, hope it gets better.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The original even recognizes the look and encourages him. Clearly we are meant to infer that Jack is a child molester.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

They might as well have called the older brother 'instant drama' because the only reason they wheeled him into a scene was so they could do another Very Special Episode without much setup. In fact, I don't recall a teenage/twentysomething alcoholic in any sitcom I watched that wasn't just an opportunity to have a shorthand Very Special Episode waiting in the wings in case the show needed a quick Emmy. I think Mr. Belvedere had one, even, just so Bob Uecker could pretend to act.

As the show went on, the older brother character got to be much less of a gimmick and much more of just another wacky family member. Though they got to revert him back to "very special" status by giving him a black girlfriend eventually, which thinking about it is actually kinda daring for mid 90s sitcoms...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I was out sick a week or two ago, and I started watching old episodes of MXC on YouTube. A few days ago I watched the college episode (with special guest team captain Tony Hawk), and my God did that episode have so many "homo says what?" jokes.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. Do you know were they being sued because somebody held (or thought they held) the rights to one or other of the characters or was it by one of the other authors who'd done that whole metatextual crossover thing before LoEG?

Kinda tha latter. They wanted to adapt a screenplay with a similar concept but did'nt have the rights so they made some superficial changes, slapped LoEG on it (which they had the rights to) and made it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tiriganiaq posted:

Kinda tha latter. They wanted to adapt a screenplay with a similar concept but did'nt have the rights so they made some superficial changes, slapped LoEG on it (which they had the rights to) and made it.

There's a surprising amount of movies that are made like this (though not always due to rights issues). I'm pretty sure most, if not all Die Hard movies were originally an unrelated screenplay that was adapted to Die Hard.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mojo1701a posted:

There's a surprising amount of movies that are made like this (though not always due to rights issues). I'm pretty sure most, if not all Die Hard movies were originally an unrelated screenplay that was adapted to Die Hard.

Almost all.

Die Hard 2 is 58 Minutes.
Die Hard waV was a film called "Simon Says", intended for Brandon Lee.
LFo Die Hard was "WW3.com", a cyberterrorism film that was shelved after 9/11.
AGDt Die Hard was actually a Die Hard movie, but was supposed to be a crossover with "24".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

mojo1701a posted:

I was out sick a week or two ago, and I started watching old episodes of MXC on YouTube. A few days ago I watched the college episode (with special guest team captain Tony Hawk), and my God did that episode have so many "homo says what?" jokes.

Yes, and there are various entire episodes and individual bite like that mixed in so its not just that episode. Still love the concept and would watch a new version in a heartbeat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Besesoth posted:

Almost all.

AGDt Die Hard was actually a Die Hard movie, but was supposed to be a crossover with "24".

The first Die Hard was originally a sequel to The Detective, a Frank Sinatra movie.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm glad I was wrong about Chandlers mom!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

The first Die Hard was originally a sequel to The Detective, a Frank Sinatra movie.

Heh.... I had no idea

quote:

It is based on Roderick Thorp's 1979 novel Nothing Lasts Forever, the sequel to 1966's The Detective, which was adapted into a 1968 film of the same name that starred Frank Sinatra. Fox was therefore contractually obligated to offer Sinatra the lead role in Die Hard, but he turned it down. The studio then pitched the film to Arnold Schwarzenegger as a sequel to his 1985 action film Commando; he turned it down, as well, and the studio finally and reluctantly gave it to Willis, then known primarily as a comedic television actor.

Bolded part hilarious. Obviously he would turn it down as he was into his 70s at that point and was almost entirely retired from any serious work, and he almost certainly knew the offer was just a contractual obligation made with the understanding he would pass, but alternate reality Die Hard: elderly Frank Sinatra version is funny to think about. But of course if for some dumb reason he actually had accepted, it just wouldn't have been made. For ~reasons~. Also funny that it could have ended up as Commando 2. The things you learn.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Besesoth posted:

Almost all.

I knew about the others, but I had no idea about that one.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tiriganiaq posted:

I see. I'm pretty sure Philip José Farmer popularised the idea about 30 years before LoEG was conceived (in the appendix to Tarzan Alive), but I suppose that's how it goes.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I see. I'm pretty sure Philip José Farmer popularised the idea about 30 years before LoEG was conceived (in the appendix to Tarzan Alive), but I suppose that's how it goes.

He did, and I wish I could remember some of the TV shows that end up tying into the Wold Newton Universe as a result.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Boy there are a lot of poo poo opinions about Alan Moore in this thread. Neil Gaiman is better? The Watchmen movie was better than the book? What the gently caress is wrong with you people

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

He did, and I wish I could remember some of the TV shows that end up tying into the Wold Newton Universe as a result.

Farmer was fairly prescriptive about who was included in the Wold Newton family - all pulp heroes and Golden Age detectives - but I believe fans and followers of his like Win Scott Eckert and Rick Lai and Jean-Marc Lociffier etc. who came along and played in his sandbox expanded it a lot into a more general crossover universe.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

wikipedia posted:

In 2003, Larry Cohen and Martin Poll filed a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox, claiming the company had intentionally plagiarized their script Cast of Characters. According to the BBC, the lawsuit alleged "that Mr Cohen and Mr Poll pitched the idea to Fox several times between 1993 and 1996, under the name Cast of Characters,"[12][13][14] and that Fox had solicited the comics series The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as a smoke screen.[12][13][14] It noted that the films shared public domain characters who did not appear in the comic book series.[15] Although Fox denied the allegations as "absurd nonsense",[14] the case was settled out of court, a decision Alan Moore, according to The New York Times "took ... as an especially bitter blow, believing that [he] had been denied the chance to exonerate [himself]."[16]

The idea is ancient, I'm sure, but the lawsuit was about the script.

Tiriganiaq has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Aug 22, 2017

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
I came here to post Jessie Spano and the Truck Stop Caffeine Pill Freakout but since it's already been posted, have another Very Special Episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWKQzgob8
Not sure if the full episode is around anywhere except dodgy streaming sites, but the early 90s attempt to talk about AIDS is so ham-handed and offputting. Admittedly it was before HIV drugs and before anyone knew much about HIV, but shoehorning it into random toy commercial cartoons was still dumb as hell

Unrelated but Blazing Saddles, while being pretty progressive on the race front (for the mid 70s) would never, ever be made today. Even if someone came up with the idea, even if it was Mel Brooks himself, it would completely lose any humor it had by virtue of not being 1974 and a lot of the humor being dependent on being a product of its time

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebOKo96HfEM

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm filing suit against Larry Cohen and Martin Poll on behalf of Apollonius Rhodius, author of the Argonautica.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

TheKennedys posted:

Unrelated but Blazing Saddles, while being pretty progressive on the race front (for the mid 70s) would never, ever be made today. Even if someone came up with the idea, even if it was Mel Brooks himself, it would completely lose any humor it had by virtue of not being 1974 and a lot of the humor being dependent on being a product of its time

Oh they'd make it if they thought there was a buck in it. It would star Jonah Hill, Dax Shepard (Fred Armisen?) as Hedley Lamarr and a Wayans. The campfire fart scene would be 27 minutes long.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Boy there are a lot of poo poo opinions about Alan Moore in this thread. Neil Gaiman is better? The Watchmen movie was better than the book? What the gently caress is wrong with you people

Sandman series is up there with Watchmen I think but I wouldn't call Gaiman better

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheKennedys posted:

I came here to post Jessie Spano and the Truck Stop Caffeine Pill Freakout but since it's already been posted, have another Very Special Episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWKQzgob8
Not sure if the full episode is around anywhere except dodgy streaming sites, but the early 90s attempt to talk about AIDS is so ham-handed and offputting. Admittedly it was before HIV drugs and before anyone knew much about HIV, but shoehorning it into random toy commercial cartoons was still dumb as hell

What's weird is that my brain somehow combined this episode with some live action show I can't remember the name of where a kid with AIDs is on the swimteam of a highschool (i think) and he cracked his head open in the pool and everyone panics and flees and all the parents are angry and reacting like the kid's a monster etc. Does anyone know what the hell show I'm talking about? Cause for a while I thought captain planet had an aids kid bleeding in a pool and I was trying to remember how they got around the censors for that. I also remember thinking "I'd probably get the gently caress out of a pool a kid was bleeding heavily in regardless cause gross"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesop Poprock posted:

Sandman series is up there with Watchmen I think but I wouldn't call Gaiman better

I don't think that Gaiman's ever written anything better than Sandman. Sad, really.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think that Gaiman's ever written anything better than Sandman. Sad, really.

I mean, there aren't many comic writers who have either.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Otoh gaiman doesn't like 90% of the time have lady characters just to have them be raped for the narrative so he's got that over alan moore

:shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Zack Snyder's films are flawless pieces of cinema, that cannot be criticized in any way. Go to Cinema Discusso if you need proof of that.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

Zack Snyder's films are flawless pieces of cinema, that cannot be criticized in any way. Go to Cinema Discusso if you need proof of that.

Not counting SMG (I'm assuming)there can't possibly be anyone who defends Sucker Punch can there

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of people in CD defend it. You see, it works on two levels because the viewer is also sucker punched by their expectations of the movie.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not counting SMG (I'm assuming)there can't possibly be anyone who defends Sucker Punch can there

Wasn't Sucker Punch the film where SMG posted his usual pages and pages of ramblings and theory before admitting he hadn't actually seen it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aesop Poprock posted:

I remember seeing one fairly determined defence of it in the Internet Critic thread in Rapidly Going Deaf but don't remember who posted it.

Recently it was announced that Joss Whedon will be getting a directing credit alongside Snyder on Justice League.

Discussions about that movie will certainly be "fun", won't they?