Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Every time I see this convo on SA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXgFAvdQWY0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It would be interesting if Rick's very nature- the fact that everyone he interacts with on a long term basis turns into the worst parts of him (Morty becoming smarter, but also a vengeful rear end in a top hat; Summer becoming increasingly detached and violent; Beth crawling into a bottle) wound up biting him in the rear end, when he realises that the reason that Beth doesn't even try to stop him taking her kids of dangerous adventures is not out of trust, but apathy. She has lost all ability to care - about Rick. He has lost the only thing in the multiverse that actually matters to him, because Beth no longer looks at him as a father, but as a drunken houseguest who has long outstayed his welcome.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That was my original thought as well, but then I remembered that I am not a guy who regularly thinks about having a vagina.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying where Morty's personality is landing this season. He is so done with all of Rick's poo poo, while at the same time has spent an inordinate amount of time with him, that he is almost reaching Rick's level of competence. He may not be as brilliant as Rick is, but he has seen enough that he can get poo poo done regardless.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://youtu.be/X1XJ1wsFQxA

Poopy :neckbeard: :smith:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hahaha holy poo poo I just noticed that the "Ants in My Eyes Johnson" commercial is on at the end

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
-Rick was breast-feeding the alien guy because he creates and nurtures his own problems
-Bird-Person and Beth are on the mantlepiece because they are trophies of people who's lives got into his crossfire
-The goat-headed people are Jerry and Beth and represent sacrifices to Rick's perceived godhood, while at the same time they probably wouldn't have attracted one another if not for Rick's leaving Beth
-"I have poo poo on my aaasssss..." even god-like beings can poop themselves and trying to analyze anything in this segment is probably a dumb idea to begin with but it's too late now

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Rexides posted:

This episode was really low on the jokes (though customer support tricking Beth into releasing them was a good one), but I loved the character work. Definitely one of the "important" episodes.

The vagina jokes were transphobic and sexist and I really don't understand why goons are getting upset for mentioning it. The very punchline depended on the viewer believing that a man thinking about having a vagina makes him a lesser person. Personally I found it funny, and I know what kind of messages society has given both me and the writers that allowed the structure of the joke to work, but I can't pretend that it wasn't wrong.

Was it funny? Then it wasn't wrong.

hth

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't know if I agree with Rick's analysis of Jerry. The way he's been characterized, he doesn't come across as a clever manipulator who plays on pity; he comes across as a dude who is just not all that capable and as such is pitiable.

The possibility that I feel for Jerry because I feel like I resemble him more than anyone else in the cast burns in my mind.

Its not a conscious manipulation on Jerrys part but emotional blackmail is a pretty common way of life for some people.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

ElCondemn posted:

I'm not arguing that it's nuanced so it's not transphobic or whatever, but I took the joke differently. I thought it was "haha look at jerry struggle with being accused of wanting something he doesn't and becoming transphobic in the process of defending his point of view"

the joke isn't that complex. it was literally the guy giving jerry poo poo about wanting a vagina, and jerry being insecure about it. It wasn't even one of the funnier jokes in this lack luster episode

I don't know about anyone else, but this season seems pretty disappointing to me. I was hoping for more comedy and less ham fisted drama

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

My Linux Rig posted:

the joke isn't that complex. it was literally the guy giving jerry poo poo about wanting a vagina, and jerry being insecure about it. It wasn't even one of the funnier jokes in this lack luster episode

I don't know about anyone else, but this season seems pretty disappointing to me. I was hoping for more comedy and less ham fisted drama

Maybe not, but that's how it came off to me, it was pretty funny that he was so defensive about it, really made him look like a bad guy.

I'm really enjoying this season, I think they probably could've spent less time on it and it would still be pretty cool though.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I can't figure out the rules for when they can and can't say "poo poo."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe these are all breadcrumbs for the return of Evil Morty.

Evil Morty was a Morty Bot who became sentient and refused to be killed and replaced

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

am0kgonzo posted:

Was it funny? Then it wasn't wrong.

hth

You can have good jokes that carry and perpetuate bad messages. It's not that complex.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Other than the vagina jokes this ep was great. I love what they're doing with Morty.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
No one in the episode cares about it except a chronically insecure chickenshit and a guy who was introduced as a chef who wanted to commit literal murder over a demotion.

There's a difference between characters in a show having an opinion and the show espousing that opinion.

Several characters use murder to solve trivial inconveniences, is the show promoting that?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Faustian Bargain posted:

Originally, and for a long time, you could never say poo poo.

Then, for a short while, you could say it only as an interjection. You could say "Oh, poo poo!" or "That's lovely," but not "I took a poo poo" or "go eat poo poo," because the latter was using the word to refer to feces which is, somehow, considered more offensive.

But now you can just say poo poo whenever you feel like, I guess. I don't think they've censored it since Interdimensional Cable 1, which was the first time I noticed the uncensored use of it on the show. I don't watch very much live TV anymore so I don't know how it goes on other shows or networks.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Funkmaster General posted:

Then, for a short while, you could say it only as an interjection. You could say "Oh, poo poo!" or "That's lovely," but not "I took a poo poo" or "go eat poo poo," because the latter was using the word to refer to feces which is, somehow, considered more offensive.

I was about to post a South Park video again. The one with Garrison singing.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What I really liked in this episode is how it showed that every one of them is a lot like Rick, except Jerry. Jerry is the only one who accepts his lovely fate at any point. Beth refuses to admit that she needs Rick's help, despite very obviously needing it, because she's too prideful - just like Rick. She doesn't want to ask for help, she wants to be the one who fixed it, the hero. Morty showed how much like Rick he was by being rude to their neighbor Gene, in the way he talked to Beth, and loving up Summer's ex. I mean, that wasn't right what he did, it was super hosed up, but it was highly rickish, and all of it is behavior he got from hanging out with Rick so much. Summer didn't like something about herself, so she tried to change it. Both she and morty showed that they can use Rick's devices and such and figure them out, and clearly do have some of the spark that makes rick the genius and the monster that he is.

Brilliant episode really.

Oh and beth also literally turns herself into a monster to better relate to summer, which also seems pretty ricky to me.

Jerry was able to have drinks with Rick and make him laugh at how some weird alien looks like jeff goldblum, which might be the closest they can come to relating to each other.

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 21, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I think this was my favorite so far this season. Great all around, and great point that it shows that all of them except Jerry are a little bit like Rick. Hell, Morty faked concern for his dad to get Rick to leave him alone for a bit.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I also liked that Rick grudgingly did give Jerry some respect throughout this episode, and he put a cap on it with his approving head nod when jerry said he didn't want to be seen as the pity guy anymore. I don't think rick actually wanted him to come in, but was being uncharacteristically nice, and jerry made the right choice refusing and actually did a lot for himself with regards to rick's opinion of him in that exchange.

also subtext - rick is only honest about poo poo like sabotaging their marriage when he's been drinking.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

He blames Jerry for getting Beth teen-pregnant, but I was expecting Jerry to fire back that without him he wouldn't have Morty and Summer. Maybe it's just an unspoken thing. I think the ending smile he gave to Jerry before the defenses came on-line was really neat, even though it undercuts my prediction Jerry's going to commit suicide.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Funkmaster General posted:

Originally, and for a long time, you could never say poo poo.

But now you can just say poo poo whenever you feel like, I guess. I don't think they've censored it since Interdimensional Cable 1, which was the first time I noticed the uncensored use of it on the show. I don't watch very much live TV anymore so I don't know how it goes on other shows or networks.

Speaking of which, should we expect another episode of interdimensional cable this season?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Man I wish I'd gotten high before watching this latest episode. It would've been so good.

Also [insert way too detailed analysis of a cartoon here].

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bloom posted:

Man I wish I'd gotten high before watching this latest episode. It would've been so good.

It would have definitely made the wormhole part super awesome.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

Speaking of which, should we expect another episode of interdimensional cable this season?

I hope not.

It seemed like they only grudgingly did the second one, and that was one of the weakest episodes of the series.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/JustinRoiland/status/899724156844990465

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I was distracted because I kept looking for the twist where we find Rick orchestrated everything, from the assassination attempt to his own drugging, either to further humiliate Jerry or as setup for his "awesome" execution.

Then it turned out, nope, Rick had been sincere the whole time, so I then had to rewatch so I could stop thinking and enjoy the drat episode.

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

I'm really enjoying where Morty's personality is landing this season. He is so done with all of Rick's poo poo, while at the same time has spent an inordinate amount of time with him, that he is almost reaching Rick's level of competence. He may not be as brilliant as Rick is, but he has seen enough that he can get poo poo done regardless.
Oh god, Morty is literally a time-displaced Young Rick and he's his own grandpa, isn't he? :ohdear:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Rexides posted:

The very punchline depended on the viewer believing that a man thinking about having a vagina makes him a lesser person.

The punchline is that Jerry makes what he thinks is a lame off-handed joke, and everyone decides he's The Wants-A-Vagina Guy forever. He specifically explains this in the episode.

Faustian Bargain posted:

I like how they have to censor "*** dammit."

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Ein cooler Typ posted:

not really feeling episode 5. didn't get any laughs

and it was hell of transphobic how they kept making fun of Jerry for imagining what it would be like if he had a vagina
Don't watch Rick and Morty if you get offended by well... anything.

Sorry, but this episode was brutal as gently caress in many ways, but you have to cling to transphobic?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

vermin posted:

He blames Jerry for getting Beth teen-pregnant, but I was expecting Jerry to fire back that without him he wouldn't have Morty and Summer. Maybe it's just an unspoken thing. I think the ending smile he gave to Jerry before the defenses came on-line was really neat, even though it undercuts my prediction Jerry's going to commit suicide.

Rick would have no problem telling Jerry his only value was as a sperm donor. In fact a sperm donor would be of more value because they wouldn't be an emotional parasite on others.

I want cookies and a 90min cut of Avatar!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Falken posted:

Don't watch Rick and Morty if you get offended by well... anything.

Sorry, but this episode was brutal as gently caress in many ways, but you have to cling to transphobic?
He's trolling. But he does, without irony, believe women writers ruined the show.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

vermin posted:

-Rick was breast-feeding the alien guy because he creates and nurtures his own problems
-Bird-Person and Beth are on the mantlepiece because they are trophies of people who's lives got into his crossfire
-The goat-headed people are Jerry and Beth and represent sacrifices to Rick's perceived godhood, while at the same time they probably wouldn't have attracted one another if not for Rick's leaving Beth
-"I have poo poo on my aaasssss..." even god-like beings can poop themselves and trying to analyze anything in this segment is probably a dumb idea to begin with but it's too late now

But what does the scene of Rick and Jerry having sex mean?

...oh, wait, Rick hosed Jerry over. I get it now.

Also, despite Rick's earlier claims that Jerry is a predator the scene of lion Rick eating gazelle Jerry shows how in reality Rick is the one who feeds off of others.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They both do.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CelticPredator posted:

They both do.
Yeah, we saw jerry's hallucinations, rick's probably had a really pathetic lion tackling his daughter.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

vermin posted:

A really insightful post lost in a sea of people climbing over each other to reach the moral high ground.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The temporal hallucination sequence reminded me of The Wall. Some pretty Gerald Scarfe type poo poo in there.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

The Glumslinger posted:

I believe Roiland and Harmon have confirmed that while they did want to do one (and another Meeseeks episode) it didn't happen this time around

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so did rick create the immortality field? and if so, did he do it to win a bet, or prove a point?

Seems like a solid way to prove that whole "no god, no afterlife" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I could go for a meeseeks episode.

Course the best episode of the season is jerry centric.