Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I think in the books Jon tosses two of them in some frozen prison cells? Don't remember if it goes anywhere though. IIRC it ends before that thread resolves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

dont even fink about it posted:

It's not about books or shows. Dany has never been a good character or even had a good story in either medium.

A classic Mary Sue, her character is transparently hypocritical and no one else in the story realizes it, stupefied in her presence even if they are otherwise master plotters. As someone said upthread, she doesn't want to rule on her name or destroy Westeros, but her name is her only actual claim and she consistently falls back on destroying poo poo. Emilia Clarke plays her as an imperious stone-faced brat, which gets her criticism from people watching the show for the acting, but it's perfectly accurate to the book. The character is that bad.

At the same time, if the main plot is Earth, she is on Pluto, spinning her wheels for multiple books/seasons. I mean, lots of stuff happens, and we are told she becomes a Just Ruler, but this is never demonstrated in any way. She also remains supremely bratty, unwilling to listen to anyone. Where is the evidence that she is fundamentally any different than Cersei politically? So far Cersei has proven far more shrewd in every arena, actually--without the help of anyone.

If Cersei had total control of Westeros, what exactly would the problem be these days? Who is she competing with? The Brat Queen, Littlefinger, and a bunch of phenomenally incompetent Starks?

And bottom line, life at King's Landing has always been the center of the show, the most entertaining part of it, and the Lannisters the best-written and most entertaining characters. I therefore have been and remain on Team Lannister.

That's a good point. I mean Cersei will gently caress you up if you are her enemy, but if you are just some noble / commoner who had bent the knee she would probably not care about you one bit.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

If NK is a greenseer it does kinda bring up the problem of how you're gonna defeat an enemy who's basically omniscient. I mean you could obviously come up with some clever way around that, but I have zero confidence the writing team will do it. He'll just die to some bullshit he obviously should have seen coming if he's able to plan far and accurately enough to know that Dany would eventually deliver a dragon to him.

They've turned the Night King into a demigod with more power than all of the disparate semi-magical forces on the human side; Dany's dragons, Bran's lovely powers, Melisandre's res powers, poo poo, all of them together are no match. Hell, we don't even know what Bran can really do other than warg into raven's and simple minded humans. Bran won't even come out of his trance long enough to tell Arya and Sansa to shut the gently caress up and do something about their real problems.

They could not have screwed up the plot line of Arya and Sansa more if they had tried. Between them, they have been sold, raped, imprisoned, tortured, abused, stabbed, humiliated and played for fools and yet, they are right back to being 9 and 12 years old and constantly in a cat fight between sisters. I fully expect Arya to tell Jon, Sansa has been touching my things while you were gone.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 21, 2017

Zarlog
Dec 7, 2005

Zarlog, Protector of Baal

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

[tiny brain] wondering about travel times
[cosmic brain] wondering where the zombies got that huge chain

Hardhome... Depot

Sorry

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

radical meme posted:

They could not have screwed up the plot line of Arya and Sansa more if they had tried. Between them, they have been sold, raped, imprisoned, tortured, abused, stabbed, humiliated and played for fools and yet, they are right back to being 9 and 12 years old and constantly in a cat fight between sisters. I fully expect Arya to tell Jon, Sansa has been touching my things while you were gone.
"Sansa has been touching your things" you mean. But yeah, the way things are going, Jon making the Night's Watch and the Wildlings work together was just preparation for dealing with his sisters.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

"Sansa has been touching your things" you mean. But yeah, the way things are going, Jon making the Night's Watch and the Wildlings work together was just preparation for dealing with his sisters.

I swear to the old gods and the new, if Arya and Sansa don't join forces and feed Littlefinger to Ramsay's dogs next episode I may skip next season and let a couple of years pass before I even try to watch the end.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

I'm really hoping that Arya and Sansa are playing the long con but it really doesn't seem that way. There hasn't been any clues or dialogue that makes me think differently. I hope we get a reversal the next episode but it's not looking good.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope those dogs are okay. They did nothing wrong!

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Confer posted:

I'm really hoping that Arya and Sansa are playing the long con but it really doesn't seem that way. There hasn't been any clues or dialogue that makes me think differently. I hope we get a reversal the next episode but it's not looking good.

Littlefinger recommending Brienne for protection and Sansa immediately sending her to King's Landing seems like a potential hint.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Filthy Casual posted:

Littlefinger recommending Brienne for protection and Sansa immediately sending her to King's Landing seems like a potential hint.

I thought that she was sending her to Kings Landing so that if she decided to take action against Arya then Brienne wouldn't be able to stop her, but I could see how it could be the opposite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Filthy Casual posted:

What?

Confer posted:

I thought that she was sending her to Kings Landing so that if she decided to take action against Arya then Brienne wouldn't be able to stop her

This is obviously what was implied.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I hope those dogs are okay. They did nothing wrong!
They bit the hand that feeds them. Not to mention the face.

Traitorous mutts!

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it's pretty weird that they're bringing in Lady Stoneheart for season 8 but w/e

1- you're a loving mongoloid

2- you're in the non-spoiler thread, cover that poo poo

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Constant posted:

Their purpose at the frozen lake was singular

Three spears for three dragons, I've seen this image a bunch of times and it looks like they all have spears but upon close scrutiny you can see only three do

Where is the shot of his sub-ordinate grabbing the second spear? I thought he grabbed it from a bundle of spears on one of the horses.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
This is one of the worst episodes I've ever seen of any show in recent memory. I don't watch stuff like Gotham or Arrow though, so there's that.

Who greenlighted this? How do you greenlight something like this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kawabata posted:

This is one of the worst episodes I've ever seen of any show in recent memory. I don't watch stuff like Gotham or Arrow though, so there's that.

These seasons being shorter when everybody wants more (including HBO) makes me think the show staff are exhausted from pulling off GOT for years and just want to end the thing asap.

Also D&D wanna wrap this poo poo up so they can do do their slavery show.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kawabata posted:

I think that's hyperbolic, but it certainly wasn't good. To answer your question, they probably felt like they needed a big season-end action episode like usual but there were still too many episodes left for them to have anything siginificant happen now, so they just set up a situation that they could get the characters in and out of as quickly and with as little setup as possible.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

cjg posted:

Where is the shot of his sub-ordinate grabbing the second spear? I thought he grabbed it from a bundle of spears on one of the horses.

I thought there was only one spear in a holder? Not multiple?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Confer posted:

I thought there was only one spear in a holder? Not multiple?

Yeah, I can't remember. I was hoping there was a screenshot.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

General Dog posted:

I think that's hyperbolic, but it certainly wasn't good. To answer your question, they probably felt like they needed a big season-end action episode like usual but there were still too many episodes left for them to have anything siginificant happen now, so they just set up a situation that they could get the characters in and out of as quickly and with as little setup as possible.

It's not hyperbolic at all. I think this is the episode that literally breaks GoT for most fans. This is not a "meh" episode, it's not about bad acting or a character arc the audience doesn't like (thought there's that too), this is a straight out terrible piece of entertainment with glaring logic/continuity errors and nonsensical deus ex machinas everywhere that should never have been released.

Like this is something that you would scrap waaay before thinking about filming it.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kawabata posted:

1- you're a loving mongoloid

2- you're in the non-spoiler thread, cover that poo poo

I think that was supposed to be a joke since so many people kept going on about Lady Stoneheart and it was a popular incorrect leak for several seasons after the Red Wedding.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kawabata posted:

Did you watch the Arya vs Waif episode?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Here's a fucken spoiler for you all: Lady Stonefart

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kawabata posted:

It's not hyperbolic at all. I think this is the episode that literally breaks GoT for most fans. This is not a "meh" episode, it's not about bad acting or a character arc the audience doesn't like (thought there's that too), this is a straight out terrible piece of entertainment with glaring logic/continuity errors and nonsensical deus ex machinas everywhere that should never have been released.

Like this is something that you would scrap waaay before thinking about filming it.

I completely agree, the show has been given a lobotomy but also plastic surgery. It is now incredibly stupid, but incredibly good looking.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

These seasons being shorter when everybody wants more (including HBO) makes me think the show staff are exhausted from pulling off GOT for years and just want to end the thing asap.

Also D&D wanna wrap this poo poo up so they can do do their slavery show.

I'm kind of with them on this. I love the show but it's gotten exhausting. The whole thing has a feel to it that GRRM set up a great fantasy world but never really knew where he was taking it and I don't really trust the writers to do any better.

I think HBO really needs to reexamine their plans for an alternate universe confederate series before they put any more money into it. How'd you like to be an actor permanently labeled as "slave owner" for the rest of your career.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

radical meme posted:

I think HBO really needs to reexamine their plans for an alternate universe confederate series before they put any more money into it. How'd you like to be an actor permanently labeled as "slave owner" for the rest of your career.

Well I mean it's a role. And if the series does really well I don't see why it would bother anyone to be remembered for playing the role well.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

bloom posted:

Here's a fucken spoiler for you all: Lady Stonefart

I mean, funny post bro, is this not the non-spoiler thread anymore though?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah I agree. I mean the Mountain is dead now anyway and is just a big frankenstein thing at this point. I don't really care about seeing him fight Hound or not. But people are convinced it's gonna happen and that they want to see it. If it happens fine, it could be good, i'm just not dying to see it personally.

I wasn't really kidding when I said I wanted to see that subverted and the Hound to realize the man who pushed him into the fire is flat out gone, so he teams up with his new bro in the last season, Clegane + Clegane, Double Dragon style.

It's be way more entertaining. After all if Cersei gets the axe it'll probably just wait to comply with new orders.

Plus then we could see Science Zombie vs Magic Zombie.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

radical meme posted:

I'm kind of with them on this. I love the show but it's gotten exhausting. The whole thing has a feel to it that GRRM set up a great fantasy world but never really knew where he was taking it and I don't really trust the writers to do any better.

It doesn't help they've left out tons and tons from the books that acted as very notable foreshadowing towards what seems to be the logical conclusion of things.

I am 100% convinced that the end of the series will have Jon kill Danny with Longclaw to turn it into the magic sword to kill all the white walkers. Why? Because of an important book part that I didn't read, but HBO thankfully included in the extra animated universe stuff on the HBO DVDs. I know they've brought up the whole prophecy hero before but it's been so limited and incomplete on the show, it won't really have been set up to pay off.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Confer posted:

Well I mean it's a role. And if the series does really well I don't see why it would bother anyone to be remembered for playing the role well.

It will not be a thoughtfully or sensitively executed show. It will be tone-deaf Whedon-level oblivious white liberal drivel.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

a helpful bear posted:

I think that was supposed to be a joke since so many people kept going on about Lady Stoneheart and it was a popular incorrect leak for several seasons after the Red Wedding.

Yup.

Also the Night King is the Waif.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember when Lena Heady intentionally trolled fans during Season 4 when she tweeted out a photo of a heart shaped rock?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when Lena Heady intentionally trolled fans during Season 4 when she tweeted out a photo of a heart shaped rock?

:discourse:

I love her as much as I hate Cersei.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but suddenly having Heat Seeking Dragon Killing Ice Spears when those would be really handy when we've never seen them before is some terrible Deus Ex Machina writing.

That didn't bother me. The spear had like this magical ice aura around it.. I can buy "it's magic" in this case, because, well.. it's actually magic.

Zaphod42 posted:

Also Coldhands showing up at JUST the right time was lmao. He was just chilling off-screen watching them the whole time, waiting for his moment.

I know people keep saying he died at the end but all we saw was him dog piled. I don't buy he's dead, not after all that mysterious bullshit. I think he's like immortal or can't be turned into a walker or something from the hints we've been given.

Zaphod42 posted:

Nothing is built up like the old seasons anymore, things just happen at just the right moment out of nowhere because Rule of Cool.

This is a huge problem though.

Game of Thrones never had me going "What the gently caress?" as much as last night. All the cool moments were far less interesting to me because it was all.. so.. cliched.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
My thoughts re: pacing and ensuing stupidity

S06E08 - Holy poo poo, this show really just keeps going on. I'm still with it, but given my experience with other shows, going past a 7th season to tie everything together GoT is probably gonna peter out horribly with all these plot lines all over the world going on.

S06E09 - Welp, I guess blowing up like 3 major plot lines and many named characters is one way to speed things along. Oh, only a 7th season is confirmed? gently caress. That means the show is going to go super fast super stupidly. May as well make a movie to finish things up.

Season 8 announced: OK, happy medium - I can suffer through inevitable rushed lovely plot movements and suspend a lot of disbelief as long as the show does a lot of cool poo poo.

This season hasn't been too stupid (i.e. stupider than I was expecting) and I have really enjoyed the action. I still watch and overall like GoT, but I don't drunkenly hate-watch it like TWD.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not as good as that time Nikolaj Coster-Waldau randomly found a child's toy duck in a lobby and then held it up in an interview and went "this won't be a spoiler for those of you have read the book but here's a hint for you TV viewers about what's coming up in the new season" and the internet went nuts with fan theories.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I guess the ice spears are basically necessary to prevent Dany from just killing the entire white walker army right now though. So that way Jon's Northern Alliance isn't ultimately pointless.

What's funny is in Spoils of War her reaction to being shot at? Turn around and straight up nuke the cart immediately.

Her reaction to getting ice speared? Run away.

If Dragon #3 said "Oh fuuuuuck you" and just turned on the guy who chucked the spear in the like 2 minutes he was getting another one ready the plot would have been over as the Night King and all his clustered buddies could get taken out in a single blast.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

learnincurve posted:

Not as good as that time Nikolaj Coster-Waldau randomly found a child's toy duck in a lobby and then held it up in an interview and went "this won't be a spoiler for those of you have read the book but here's a hint for you TV viewers about what's coming up in the new season" and the internet went nuts with fan theories.

Wait, what? Are you being funny or die this really happen?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

learnincurve posted:

Confer posted:

Wait, what? Are you being funny or die this really happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJQQhL-Dvw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctivitis posted:

This season hasn't been too stupid (i.e. stupider than I was expecting) and I have really enjoyed the action. I still watch and overall like GoT, but I don't drunkenly hate-watch it like TWD.

If GoT was current TWD the whole season would have been:

"We have to kill Cersei at any cost."
*Cersei shows up at the front door doing a taunting dance*
"We have to kill Cersei."
*Cersei dances around then clubs another Stark to death*
"We have to kill Cersei"
*Cersei walks through Winterfell with only one guard, hands Jon a sword and dares him to cut her head off*
"We have to kill Cersei"
*Arya gets her sword right to Cersei's heart, but doesn't stab her "because the plot would end"*
"We have to kill Cersei"
*Cersei guts Sansa in the middle of Winterfell while cracking jokes about the red wedding*
"We have to kill Cersei"
*Every character that hates her has a crossbow and she's alone in the middle of the room stabbing more Stark bannermen to death, but don't kill her*
"We have to kill Cersei"

..... yeah that was a repetitive as gently caress post but anyone who watched the last TWD season will probably get it. loving Fear the Walking Dead is better than the main show by a mile now. It's insane.

Even now there's not enough plot armor in all of Westeros to equal Negan's.

• Locked thread