Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

you can't even tell it's really happening here until you look at it through the glasses, still seems perfectly sunny out and the thing is like half covered

It was 94% covered where I was. I probably would have guessed it was something like 40% if I hadn't had glasses to look at it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

precision posted:

lol i didn't even know We Happy Few had come out until i watched the new Jimquisition

I saw a thing about it on the playstation blog and in the UK the PS4 version is £55 digital/£60 retail :popeye: (and that's without the season pass/deluxe edition etc)

i thought it was like a 5 hour indie thing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I saw a thing about it on the playstation blog and in the UK the PS4 version is £55 digital/£60 retail :popeye: (and that's without the season pass/deluxe edition etc)

i thought it was like a 5 hour indie thing

Its a procedurally generated rogelike survivor game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Moon Monster posted:

It was 94% covered where I was. I probably would have guessed it was something like 40% if I hadn't had glasses to look at it with.

70% here and fully visible because of perfect thin cloud cover

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
All I remember about that game was the GB Unfinished of it made it look really unfun

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

I saw gearbox is involved so I'm blaming them for this

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

HARD PASS

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If your game isn't a turn-based RPG with a fine-grained turn structure (i.e. 1 step = 1 turn, not the D&D/XCOM model), permadeath, and randomly generated level layouts, your game ain't a roguelike.

And that's being generous and not even demanding an ASCII mode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or as I liked to say before Caves of Qud forced me to reconsider, "if people would pay money for your game, it's not a roguelike."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If your game isn't a turn-based RPG with a fine-grained turn structure (i.e. 1 step = 1 turn, not the D&D/XCOM model), permadeath, and randomly generated level layouts, your game ain't a roguelike.

its a roguelike if its on steam and has pixel graphics

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you can die and have a bad save system, you just might be a roguelike

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

There's a joke in here about how modern gaming has come to the point where the mere possibility that the player might actually fail needs a warning label. Which is fine, I just wish they hadn't appropriated the name of an existing genre to do it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

From now on we should call them Failgames

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It has the last two, which makes it a rogue lite at least.

Most of the time people say rogue like they mean lite but that's because no one worth mentioning really cares

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I love how gorgeous the background is and how lovely and stuff the character models and animations are

god bless shenmue, it's back!!!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

It has the last two, which makes it a rogue lite at least.

Most of the time people say rogue like they mean lite but that's because no one worth mentioning really cares

Actually, anyone worth mentioning calls their difficult platformer a platformer and then bathes in the tears of unsuspecting buyers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Or twin stick shooter or FPS or whatever other increasingly incompatible-with-procedural-generation genre you're going for.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

I feel like anything involving literally any of these phrases is now a hard pass for me if only because it is currently being done to loving death

Grapplejack posted:

I love how gorgeous the background is and how lovely and stuff the character models and animations are

god bless shenmue, it's back!!!

I was excited for Shenmue 3 back when I backed it on Kickstarter. But since I discovered Yakuza 0, I have almost zero interest in Shenmue. Yakuza now feels like the path Shenmue could have taken. That being said I am glad the guy can finish his series and I'll still definitely play it, I just hope those character models get a huge facelift

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 22, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i want to play dead cells

but i don't wanna play a game that's still in early access

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

homeless snail posted:

From now on we should call them Failgames

:yeah:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

When I started seriously playing fighting games (so like a few months ago) I realized that these were the first games I had played that were not designed to reward me with inevitable triumph if I put enough time into them, and if I were to enjoy them I would have to find fulfillment in a journey of struggle and learning without end. Like, even Dark Souls has a definitive end and test of mastery.

I guess it's actually probably a good time in my life to be internalizing that from a game

Edit: Oh, I guess I played Dota before. But there is no fulfillment to be found in there, only despair

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hate the arkbird mission in AC5

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When I started seriously playing fighting games (so like a few months ago) I realized that these were the first games I had played that were not designed to reward me with inevitable triumph if I put enough time into them, and if I were to enjoy them I would have to find fulfillment in a journey of struggle and learning without end. Like, even Dark Souls has a definitive end and test of mastery.

I guess it's actually probably a good time in my life to be internalizing that from a game

Hell yeah man, welcome aboard.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Despite what people say, Shenmue is a very different game than Yakuza. Yakuza is a game for people that hate all the weird poo poo that no other open world game has done that made Shenmue unique.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

I hate the arkbird mission in AC5

It was designed to be a symbol of hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY05PJhn5eA

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Steam says I've played Pillars of Eternity for 170 hours, but that's including loading screens and my wife playing for 30 or so hours

That's still by far the most I've played a single-player game with an endpoint since Persona 4 (think it took me 80 hours)

e: I could have chopped off literally 20 hours if I used console commands to teleport to hand in quests tho, i hope Pillars 2 has better load times or more specific fast travel (like "I want to go to this building in this district")

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

In Training posted:

This disappointed me so loving much after the promising initial reveal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Despite what people say, Shenmue is a very different game than Yakuza. Yakuza is a game for people that hate all the weird poo poo that no other open world game has done that made Shenmue unique.

Gone Home is more of what I remember and love about Shenmue than Yakuza, if that makes any sense.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Oh, I guess I played Dota before. But there is no fulfillment to be found in there, only despair

The lasting lesson of fighting games is that sometimes you'll just always be terrible and you should give up hope. Mobas have the same lesson, except instead of just you it's everyone.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The age old tactic of complaining about it online meant I cleared it on my next try

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DLC Inc posted:

I was excited for Shenmue 3 back when I backed it on Kickstarter. But since I discovered Yakuza 0, I have almost zero interest in Shenmue. Yakuza now feels like the path Shenmue could have taken. That being said I am glad the guy can finish his series and I'll still definitely play it, I just hope those character models get a huge facelift

I just want to know what the gently caress happened in that cave. I'd also like to play a remastered shenmue 2 so I can see Kowloon walled city with 2017 graphics

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nachos posted:

I just want to know what the gently caress happened in that cave. I'd also like to play a remastered shenmue 2 so I can see Kowloon walled city with 2017 graphics

most people would benefit from a Shenmue 2 re-release or remaster because god only knows what the gently caress happened

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Gone Home is more of what I remember and love about Shenmue than Yakuza, if that makes any sense.

I almost said the same thing when I posted, so yeah, that is 100% accurate

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Actually, Yakuza is a game for people who enjoy fun gaming experiences and not tedious and boring ones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to this day i'm not quite sure how shenmue garnered such a cult following. it was weird and unique, sure, but it was also repetitive and not particularly fun or interesting? was 2 a lot better or something

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Weird and unique are good qualities, sometimes enough to carry the entire project.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Weird and unique are good qualities, sometimes enough to carry the entire project.

It also felt extremely earnest, which can also carry less than good games. See: swery's entire career

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I remember being able to play a videogame inside a videogame in Shenmue really blew my mind at the time. It also had a really great soundtrack.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cowcaster posted:

to this day i'm not quite sure how shenmue garnered such a cult following. it was weird and unique, sure, but it was also repetitive and not particularly fun or interesting? was 2 a lot better or something

Shenmue made virtual tourism a thing in like 1999. That poo poo was mind blowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Shenmue is one of the few open world games that actually fully created it's works. There's more stuff to interact in just the house of the main character in this Dreamcast game than most modern open world games put in their entire city. It's janky as hell and extremely slow paced but if you can get sucked in by it's magic, there's nothing else like it. Yakuza is a good game but they are not going for even close to the same thing despite some surface similarities.

• Locked thread