Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Nintendo?
This poll is closed.
Nintendon't 45 22.73%
Nintendoomed 22 11.11%
Nintendrone 13 6.57%
Nintendovahkiin 55 27.78%
Nintend'oh! 63 31.82%
Total: 198 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its good that you actually use your fighting skills you collect in yakuza more than like 5 times but shenmue is still cool anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The thing that I really love about Shenmue is its celebration of the mundane. You live in a normal Japanese suburb in the 80s, you do completely normal things like eat pizza or play darts 95% of the time. You can choose to do nothing all day except follow people around and they all have their own boring lives. In the second half of the game you have to get a job, for christ's sake. Nothing else before or since has ever quite matched that feeling.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The thing that I really love about Shenmue is its celebration of the mundane. You live in a normal Japanese suburb in the 80s, you do completely normal things like eat pizza or play darts 95% of the time. You can choose to do nothing all day except follow around and they all have their own boring lives. In the second half of the game you have to get a job, for christ's sake. Nothing else before or since has ever quite matched that feeling.

yeah I remember needing to call it a day and go to sleep, wake up, get my fucken allowance, and pay attention to when and where characters traveled to, and not many games even now will put that much thought into specific frames of time and place for NPCs.

Doing oddjobs and getting an allowance reminds me of how No More Heroes 1+2 (more specifically 1) literally made you do menial labor and part time poo poo to fund your side-life of being a dumb otaku warrior.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

to this day i'm not quite sure how shenmue garnered such a cult following. it was weird and unique, sure, but it was also repetitive and not particularly fun or interesting? was 2 a lot better or something
Shenmue 2 is a lot better, both mechanically and in terms of story pacing. The first one tho, is just a weird semi-autobiographical game about how Yu Suzuki felt about a certain time and place and there hadn't been a game before and hasn't been one since that is as evocative. So imo its pretty understandable that it inspires a lot of strong feelings in people because they're responding to its earnestness and intimacy. Its like the Forrest Gump of video games except instead of baby boomer poo poo its about the mundanities of post-miracle Japan.

The story arc in the first two Shenmues and Ryo's in particular is probably my fav arc in video games, tbh. Ryo's on the precipice of a changing culture, grew up in a dojo son of a karate master, but he'trades in his gi for a sick leather jacket and a coca cola and spends all his time hanging out with motorcycle-riding delinquents. When his dad is murdered by a mystical Chinese wizard, Ryo's forced to cross the threshold from our modern world to a world of myth and magic. The ending of Shenmue 2 is where Ryo has finally after like 40 hours finally crossed over and is fully immersed in the mythical and its loving nuts

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn't know people owned Dreamcasts

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don't wanna be friends with anyone that coulda owned a Dreamcast but didn't

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Dreamcast is real and it is powerful, my friend.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let's go make some crazy money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us8OhI-OTHg

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

They didn't which is why there wasn't a Shenmue 3

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

They didn't which is why there wasn't a Shenmue 3

Well that and every awesome series Sega brought to the early Xbox lineup sold like poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ok i died with about 5 seconds left on the last mission of AC5 and its 20 minutes long and I dont wanna do it again

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I can't wait, for Rez 2

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I don't know if this will be a controversial thing to say, but bring back Power Stone!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I don't know if this will be a controversial thing to say, but bring back Power Stone!

they did, and it was called One Piece Grand Battle

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

I can't wait, for Rez 2

There pretty much already was one

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The Dreamcast is real and it is powerful, my friend.

Yeah Uzume is good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

There pretty much already was one
I forgot Child of Eden even existed until just now. Its okay but it doesn't do it for me like Rez, not really the same. Area X in Rez Infinite is dope though and my good friend Mizuguchi will turn it into a brand new game worthy of the title 「Rez 2」.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

bring back rival schools and power stone, in the same game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

bring back rival schools and power stone, in the same game

I dont want to play an esports modern capcom powerstone. I'll just emulate psp until they put out another collection

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hideaki itsuno still works at capcom, if he still has the resources to make good games there a new power stone + rival schools could actually be not terrible

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if they made a new Power Stone in 2017, even odds it would end up being a dota

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This morning YongYea uploaded a video titled "Should Casey Hudson Come Back to Mass Effect" and between then and now he changed the title to read: "There May Be Hope Yet for Mass Effect"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5rwnLUxuPA

which is funny, because Casey is the one who poo poo the bed on the ending to 3 and soiled the brand forever

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/VOOK64/status/899805361116291072

It keeps happening.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Quick question, do we currently have an active Planetside 2 thread, cause I can't seem to find it if we do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Campcom better than capcpom in pantheon of not proofreading the company name

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

but that one is more a case of a not entirely uncommon translation

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm pretty sure the only natsume-translated harvest moon games that didn't come out clunky or with any game-breaking issues were the wii games and rune factory

and now natsume makes knock-off harvest moon games with minecraft elements

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

the hosed up thing about that one, is that was added by an American company. Natsume Inc is based in California and is totally independent of Natsume japan. Can't even spell their own loving name lmao

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
remember when friends of mineral town had a bug where a character would randomly speak to you in german

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

This cafe I'm at is playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt594nYBPQA

I've never been more determined to drink this fuckin brew.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MechaSeinfeld posted:

This cafe I'm at is playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt594nYBPQA

I've never been more determined to drink this fuckin brew.
Of all the P5 songs to play at a cafe that's a pretty fast paced one. I probably would have gone with one of the Beneath the Mask variants.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

remember when friends of mineral town had a bug where a character would randomly speak to you in german

That sounds like a perfectly believable HM character quirk tbh

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Those tracks wouldn't have made me feel as powerful tho.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oddium posted:

gently caress I want to play back to nature now

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drrockso20 posted:

Quick question, do we currently have an active Planetside 2 thread, cause I can't seem to find it if we do

There's a thread for the Goon outfits in PGS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720505

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

homeless snail posted:

if they made a new Power Stone in 2017, even odds it would end up being a dota

I'm surprised nobody has tried to create a Power Stone clone, besides that one piece of poo poo game on Steam. Nintendo should turn Smash Bros into this so we get something new plus murder the competitive Smash scene, killing 2 birds with 1 stone (heh, Stone)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are a couple power stone clones on steam and one of them looked sort of ok i guess but i forgot its name, and the other is combat core

i don't think i'd play either of them over just playing actual power stone though

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

I'm surprised nobody has tried to create a Power Stone clone, besides that one piece of poo poo game on Steam. Nintendo should turn Smash Bros into this so we get something new plus murder the competitive Smash scene, killing 2 birds with 1 stone (heh, Stone)

Nintendo should turn smash bros into like eight different games up to and including a power stone clone.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The Colonel posted:

One of the HM games I think was Hero of Leaf Valley, had to whitewash a kid and he didn't even buy the stuff he wanted you to trade him.

Natsume also brought us Chulip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I don't know if this will be a controversial thing to say, but bring back the Chao garden!

:yeah:

• Locked thread