Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Going by the MS docs rDMA has been server-only and Pro for Workstations is the only desktop SKU getting it.

Goddamnit. Why the hell does Powershell report it enabled to begin with.

code:
PS C:\Users\tomse> Get-NetAdapterRdma

Name                      InterfaceDescription                     Enabled
----                      --------------------                     -------
Slot06 x16 8              Mellanox ConnectX-3 Ethernet Adapter #4  True
Slot06 x16 7              Mellanox ConnectX-3 Ethernet Adapter #3  True

PS C:\Users\tomse>
:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

That reports hardware/driver support of the feature, licensing is a completely different matter.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

sharktamer posted:

The official steps to getting the linux subsystem is so confusing. Could someone make it real simple and let me know what exactly needs to be done? I think I'm almost there, I just need to actually get the insider preview update, but it keeps failing every time I've tried over the last few days so I guess I just have to wait for windows to stop being poo poo (forever?)

Settings, For developers, turn on developer mode.

Search start for "Turn windows features on or off", enable windows subsystem for linux.

Run "bash" in a command prompt.

Any instructions saying you need a preview version are old and wrong. Or they're talking about getting it "from the store" which is not important.

Also either one of those first two instructions might be unnecessary at this point, all the instructions are conflicting and I don't have a fresh system to test, but it only takes a few seconds to do them so whatever just hit those buttons.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 16, 2017

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dylan16807 posted:

Search start for "Turn windows features on or off", enable windows subsystem for linux.

Any instructions saying you need a preview version are old and wrong. Or they're talking about getting it "from the store" which is not important.

Also either one of those first two instructions might be unnecessary at this point, all the instructions are conflicting and I don't have a fresh system to test, but it only takes a few seconds to do them so whatever just hit those buttons.

When I did it, those exact steps worked.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dylan16807 posted:

You will definitely need a full reboot after turning on the WSL feature.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Dylan16807 posted:

loving christ, there were no instructions that said to do that. I already had linux subsystem enabled so there wasn't even any need to reboot, just change to developer and type bash. Thanks!

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

sharktamer posted:

loving christ, there were no instructions that said to do that. I already had linux subsystem enabled so there wasn't even any need to reboot, just change to developer and type bash. Thanks!

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/install_guide

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, this is just loving awesome. Windows installed the latest patches yesterday and now the goddamn OS crashes frequently in some DirectX service whenever Netflix is running. I'm so tired of this poo poo.

--edit: Gets unresponsive when idling over night now, too. Yay!

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 19, 2017

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is there a surefire way to actually "make Folder View->Apply to all Folders" work and lock across all folders in File Explorer? Win 10 just seems to change view settings at it's whim and It's driving me mad because I never had this problem back on Win7.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pretty sure the folder settings apply to that folder and its subfolders. So maybe make the changes to the highest level folders you can get.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Palladium posted:

Is there a surefire way to actually "make Folder View->Apply to all Folders" work and lock across all folders in File Explorer? Win 10 just seems to change view settings at it's whim and It's driving me mad because I never had this problem back on Win7.

Is this a thing with Windows, changing settings randomly between reboots? I'm having issues with it: un-checking "enhance pointer precision" and changing my audio devices, seemingly with every reboot. With the latter in particular, I actually have all devices disabled except the one output (SPDIF) and one input (USB mic) I want to use all the time, and Windows will re-enable other devices (e.g. a monitor, a headset mic) and make them default. Is there any way to fix this?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's something wrong with your windows config. You could try and make a new profile (login) and see if the same issues exist with it. Other than that, you could try a repair install and see if that fixes it. Last resort is a clean install.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Is there something in the Creators Update that would cause my install to start going incredibly slow on startup? I finally stopped hitting "snooze" on the update and it installed just fine but now it's taking for-goddamn-ever (like 3+ minutes) to get to a usable desktop. I tried turning off the new game mode stuff in case that did anything, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Magnus Praeda posted:

Is there something in the Creators Update that would cause my install to start going incredibly slow on startup? I finally stopped hitting "snooze" on the update and it installed just fine but now it's taking for-goddamn-ever (like 3+ minutes) to get to a usable desktop. I tried turning off the new game mode stuff in case that did anything, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

hold SHIFT while rebooting, you should get a prompt Continue to Windows 10 and some other options, choose continue to windows 10. Might work after that. (blame Fast Startup)

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

redeyes posted:

hold SHIFT while rebooting, you should get a prompt Continue to Windows 10 and some other options, choose continue to windows 10. Might work after that. (blame Fast Startup)

I'll give it a try, thanks. If this is true, the irony is beautiful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey I didn't know and for anyone else that did, if you want over 1080p playback for Netflix, you have to use the Store app or Edge. Chrome only goes to 720p.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Even if you use the store app, you can't do 4K unless you have the latest intel procs I believe.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Magnus Praeda posted:

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Are you doing a shutdown instead of just throwing it in to standby a lot? A shutdown on Windows 10 dumps a bunch of stuff in to the hibernation file and pulls from that during startup. I know coming out of hibernation can be a bit of a dog and if you're hitting that with a slowish platter disk it could cause problems. A restart does a full clean initialization without the hiberfil.sys and MS is pretty much depreciating shutdowns in favor of standby.

What? Windows doesn't hibernate unless you tell it to, and hibernation is disabled by default in 10...

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
On that note, does anyone know why my windows 10 PC refuses to sleep sometimes? I'll use powercfg requests to check why it keeps waking up and there will be nothing in there, but it will still turn itself back on. Googling suggests that I try the system logs but they don't provide much information either. Is there a way to just say go to sleep and never wake up? Unless I use the keyboard or mouse to wake it up myself obviously.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jan posted:

What? Windows doesn't hibernate unless you tell it to, and hibernation is disabled by default in 10...

No really, "fast start-up" in Windows 10 means that the system really only shuts partially down, hibernates the rest, and then does a resume on the next boot, if possible. It just leaves itself in a state where it can still safely make a full boot in case e.g. the hardware configuration has changed.
(But a reboot is still a full reboot.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

nielsm posted:

No really, "fast start-up" in Windows 10 means that the system really only shuts partially down, hibernates the rest, and then does a resume on the next boot, if possible. It just leaves itself in a state where it can still safely make a full boot in case e.g. the hardware configuration has changed.

Oh, my mistake. I didn't know Fast Startup reuses the hibernation file. I disabled that early on so probably never experienced it. :downs:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

I've been seeing this after full shutdowns (I'm assuming they're not S4 hibernations since I see the bios self-test stuff during boot) but I've also seen it after restarts (though to a lesser extent), so I don't think it's related to the hiberfil.sys being huge and slow. I could be wrong, though.

I do need to bite the bullet and switch to an SSD for my boot drive rather than a platter, though. I'm sure that would help immensely in general, but it hadn't been quite so slow until after Creators hit.

edit: missed some intervening posts--I also didn't know Windows used hiberfil during startup from "shutdown." Still going to try holding shift during startup to see if it helps.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

Actually a reboot is not a full reboot from all the evidence of the SHIFT + restart working to fix glitches that persist after a normal reboot. Now I am curious if that is wrong though.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 21, 2017

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

nielsm posted:

Not that it's guaranteed to notice hardware configuration changes. It's failed to notice new drives on me.

Even better is that it can corrupt the hell out of removable storage if you remove, use, and reattach all while the system is off. (I'm 90% sure it was fast startup and not normal hibernation when this happened.)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So now with the Workstation edition of Windows 10, Microsoft seems to be shifting functionality around. The ability to create ReFS filesystems will be removed from cheaper editions with the Fall upgrade. I wonder what else will fall.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Combat Pretzel posted:

So now with the Workstation edition of Windows 10, Microsoft seems to be shifting functionality around. The ability to create ReFS filesystems will be removed from cheaper editions with the Fall upgrade. I wonder what else will fall.

MS has a list of removed features. I too question why ReFS is going away. Though it's proved remarkably long lived, it's clearly obsolete vs a modern filesystems, and MS needs to be getting a replacement into production ready status sooner rather than later. Unless they mean to develop it more at the top end then port the results back down, I can't see this as a good step.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
You guys can't possibly be insuinating that Microsoft doesn't know what the gently caress.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

bobfather posted:

You guys can't possibly be insuinating that Microsoft doesn't know what the gently caress.

They've made mistakes like this in the past (longhorn) and decisions like that are felt long into the future. It likely won't hurt Windows 10 now, but in a few years a good deal of performance and reliability will be left on the table as solid state storage and hybrid ram solutions can't be used as cleanly or easily as their competitors.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

Could this be why I get unexplained 100% disk usage for 5 or 10 minutes when I open my laptop? I've tried just about everything to fix it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EoRaptor posted:

They've made mistakes like this in the past (longhorn) and decisions like that are felt long into the future. It likely won't hurt Windows 10 now, but in a few years a good deal of performance and reliability will be left on the table as solid state storage and hybrid ram solutions can't be used as cleanly or easily as their competitors.

Uh, you're talking where the "competitors" is primarily Apple which seems to want to stick to ancient HFS+ indefinitely on their laptops and desktops (they have an evolved variant called Apple File System now but it's still "experimental" on those systems, although active on iOS devices).

Remember the tablet market continues to shrink too for the third year in the row, and Chromebooks are continuing to avoid having much in the way of relying on local storage so theoretically better file systems don't matter much there either.

bigis posted:

Could this be why I get unexplained 100% disk usage for 5 or 10 minutes when I open my laptop? I've tried just about everything to fix it.

You may have hybrid sleep enabled, where when it sleeps the computer it also writes out a hibernation file in case the power gets pulled completely. In that situation it'd be able to do a cold boot and return to where you left off.

On some systems, even though it stayed in sleep mode, it still tries to pull a bunch of data from the hibernation file on waking, which can tie up your disk usage for some minutes.

Try temporarily disabling hibernation, and see if your problem still occurs.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 22, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Hey you know what would be great... if Win 10 Pro didn't pop up reboot reminders in the middle of the loving screen on our dedicated videoconferencing NUCs.

I though setting "Active Hours" was supposed to fix this poo poo?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Hey you know what would be great... if Win 10 Pro didn't pop up reboot reminders in the middle of the loving screen on our dedicated videoconferencing NUCs.

I though setting "Active Hours" was supposed to fix this poo poo?

Is this an ":argh: the IT department" or are you the IT department in this scenario?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

Is this an ":argh: the IT department" or are you the IT department in this scenario?

I'm the IT department, unfortunately.

We solved updating issues with an embedded video wall PC by simply unplugging the thing from the loving internet, not really an option for the video conferencing PCs though. They are behind-the-tv NUC machines with no keyboard or mouse plugged in (people use a linked iPad to start the meeting), supposed to be idiot proof but I guess Microsoft can always build a better idiot. Maybe editing host Microsoft.com to loopback will kill updates, I know that used to work.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 22, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Option 1:

Settings: System > Notifications & actions > Hide notifications when I'm presenting: ON (also Get notifications from these semders > Settings: OFF)
Settings: Update & security > Change active hours > (big enough to cover business hours)

Option 2:

Use SCCM and WSUS like a human.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Delivery Optimization process is strictly just the one option of the same name under update advance settings, right? Where it downloads updates from other sources but also uploads updates to other people. I have it running sucking in my bandwidth but I go to check the options and it's turned off, it's never been turned on but here it is taking up bandwidth.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

fishmech posted:

Uh, you're talking where the "competitors" is primarily Apple which seems to want to stick to ancient HFS+ indefinitely on their laptops and desktops (they have an evolved variant called Apple File System now but it's still "experimental" on those systems, although active on iOS devices).

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Option 1:

Settings: System > Notifications & actions > Hide notifications when I'm presenting: ON (also Get notifications from these semders > Settings: OFF)
Settings: Update & security > Change active hours > (big enough to cover business hours)

Option 2:

Use SCCM and WSUS like a human.

Option 3:
Update the loving thing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nice, spinner Macs will have HFS+ and newer stuff, APFS. How fun. I cannot wait for the conversion corruption issues.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

I'm the IT department, unfortunately.

We solved updating issues with an embedded video wall PC by simply unplugging the thing from the loving internet, not really an option for the video conferencing PCs though. They are behind-the-tv NUC machines with no keyboard or mouse plugged in (people use a linked iPad to start the meeting), supposed to be idiot proof but I guess Microsoft can always build a better idiot. Maybe editing host Microsoft.com to loopback will kill updates, I know that used to work.

What I actually did was convert my Pro boxes to Enterprise and use a hack to activate it. Its hosed but these goddamn machines have a real license and yet I can't control how they update without changing to Enterprise.