Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The problem with IF is less a retcon than the audience's sheer inability to make any sense of what's going on whatsoever. Retcons are fine, often to fix dumb writing, but this is just the continued erosion of the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I've talked people's ears off about how lame the Hand is since they popped up in DDS2. Just the very idea of them grated on me because the Netflix series were otherwise down to earth, and they kind of ruined that for me. That, and nothing they did was as good or convincing as Hydra in Agents of SHIELD, which has been on an insane upswing for as long as Marvel Netflix has been on its downswing.

And, I hate to admit that I miss the sheer brutality and personable evil we got from Kingpin, Kilgrave, Cottonmouth, and Black Mariah - humans with human motives and flaws - as opposed to a fantastic league of ninjas in New York chasing the undead dragon.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I wonder if they've been so coy about Shou Lao because they didn't want to invite a comparison with Game of Thrones on CG quality.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

MiddleOne posted:

Immortal ninjas are just really lame. I've been telling you people this since DD S2, why did it take you this long to believe me?

bUt It'S fRoM tHe CoMiCs

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

They were clearly going for a personable evil with Alexandra and they tried to show her as vulnerable and human but they fumbled it because she was just kind of incompetent and pathetic and then got replaced with Elektra, who's never been very interesting and is mostly just a crazy bitch.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Toast Museum posted:

I wonder if they've been so coy about Shou Lao because they didn't want to invite a comparison with Game of Thrones on CG quality.
I mean, IF was completely devoid of mysticism, would't pin it on anything VFX-specific. Man in the High Castle has amazing VFX with a TV budget, and Netflix/Marel could make something great if they wanted to.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
All that elevator CGI was baaaaaad,like videogame unfinished fan movie bad.

But other than that I enjoyed the show,iron fist was a dick but at least everyone around him acknowledged it.

was anyone expecting all those dead guys in the warehouse to have been killed by the punisher? they all looked like gunshot wounds and I was wondering if he was involved but I guess not

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Why did Claire leave Misty Knight's amputated arm behind? That poo poo probably could have been reattached. Dumb idiot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Why did Claire leave Misty Knight's amputated arm behind? That poo poo probably could have been reattached. Dumb idiot.

building was about to go boom?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kegslayer posted:

Isn't that because the show runners don't have any idea what's happening on the other shows?

Yes, one of showrunners answered questions indicating that they don't coordinate much.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So Misty can get herself all Coulsoned up with a kick-rear end robot arm.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Shush you, I waited two series for Misty to lose her arm. Don't take this away from me.

(Though I would have been happier if it played out as something like this.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Misty gets a Stark tech robot arm, while the cast cringes and grimaces and breaks the 4th wall in embarrassment that they are on a comic book show related to the MCU.

seriously though this show would be ten times better if they just embraced the silliness a little bit and ran with the comic stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DrNutt posted:

seriously though this show would be ten times better if they just embraced the silliness a little bit and ran with the comic stuff.

Every time they do that people call it the worst thing ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrNutt posted:

Misty gets a Stark tech robot arm, while the cast cringes and grimaces and breaks the 4th wall in embarrassment that they are on a comic book show related to the MCU.

I feel like it is comic booky enough. Cage fought a man in a stupid space suit. Mystical ninjas. JJ is a mutant and fought a psychic man.

I mean it's a bit more lofi than the movies and stuff like Agents of Shield, but I like the tone they have set for a ground pounding street hero show. I wish their budgets were a bit bigger though because the effects on some stuff (Defenders) are dogshit.

e: phone changing my foughts to boughts :/

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 22, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
These Netflix shows have given and taught me two things anyway.

Until this thread, I'd never heard the term "showrunner" and had no idea what that was. I'd never heard of Jidenna either so most of Luke Cage's shortcomings are forgiven on that basis alone.

Agree with the dude a few pages back who pointed out how these series seem to be getting away from what loving everyone LOVED about DDs1 and how that grounding it so well really led to its relatability and success. Wives and girlfriends were digging this poo poo for once. gently caress the Ninjas, the hole, the stupid dragon and the Hand and all that mystical bullshit. I want Castle, Copperhead and Fisk owning the poo poo out of every scene their in and someone cool enough to play Bullseye when we get to that.

I want a competent Iron Fist and a Heroes for Hire where those two help people when the cops and the lawyers won't. I haven't watched JJ yet but it's been in my queue forever and reading the comments here has gotten me interested precisely because of the motivations I'm reading ascribed to the hero.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I feel like another downfall for Defenders is Alexandra. We spent a lot of time getting to know Cottonmouth, Black Mariah, Fisk, Punisher, and Kilgrave. Through a combination of character arcs and flashbacks. For Alexandra, almost everything we know about her is because either some character or herself talks us through it. I don't really feel like I got to know her in the same way that I got to know Fisk and Kilgrave. I would've liked to see some flashbacks to her time before she entered New York.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I dunno, take away the flashback episode from Daredevil season 1 and we know about as much about her as we would know about Fisk.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

I feel like it is comic booky enough. Cage bought a man in a stupid space suit. Mystical ninjas. JJ is a mutant and bought a psychic man.

I mean it's a bit more lofi than the movies and stuff like Agents of Shield, but I like the tone they have set for a ground pounding street hero show. I wish their budgets were a bit bigger though because the effects on some stuff (Defenders) are dogshit.

Yeah that stuff is in there, my point is how all the characters seem to be embarrassed about it. Luke Cage's incredulity toward Danny talking about dragons and chi is loving stupid in a world where an alien invasion was stopped by a fighting force that included a literal god.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrNutt posted:

Yeah that stuff is in there, my point is how all the characters seem to be embarrassed about it. Luke Cage's incredulity toward Danny talking about dragons and chi is loving stupid in a world where an alien invasion was stopped by a fighting force that included a literal god.

Ah yeah. This is why I like Danny. He's some lovely rich kid, but he says completely insane things like I AM THE IMMORTAL IRON FIST and "I have a vision of total victory in my mind" without a shadow of doubt that this is cool and normal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I wish they had spent all the money they spent on Sigourney Weaver on fight choreography.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

Until this thread, I'd never heard the term "showrunner" and had no idea what that was.

The first time I recall hearing it was the remake of Battlestar Galactica, with Ron Moore having that unofficial title.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
You know what? for all it's faults, I really enjoyed this. I liked Danny Rand playing the part of damsel in distress/main target and Jessica's reactions to all the crazy poo poo going on.

My only beef is, all the fight choreography in the world doesn't mean anything if the setting is in a dark lit room with very few lights in between it all.

DrNutt posted:

I agree almost completely. In the movies and in the netflix series, everyone is absolutely aware of the "incident" where everything you knew about the universe changed. Thing is, people are still going to work and worrying about rent because that's just the way the world still works. It's almost as if hearing about the "floating city" in Age of Ultron, or the guy with the "hammer" is just water cooler talk you hear about in google news, and not some life altering thing.

In any other medium (other than comics), that extraordinary thing is enough to rattle the whole world. Alien invasion, new power source, terrorist with world ending stuff. Comic universes as far as i know are the only ones where people know there's something out there, and is still kinda positive about it, if not ambivalent. As some regular jane/joe, you know there's like 100 heroes with different powers saving the world, competing with 100 villains trying to end it, and you're just trying to make rent.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2017

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why does Defenders not have the team fight actual ninjas at ANY point. All of a sudden all the mooks are dudes in suits for no reason.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Why does Defenders not have the team fight actual ninjas at ANY point. All of a sudden all the mooks are dudes in suits for no reason.

Hand agents can wear beach attire and still do the things they do

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Hand agents can wear beach attire and still do the things they do

They also sit in boardroom meetings in business attire, completed with telescopic batons just in case the Iron Fist walks in.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Nephthys posted:

Like most things, the Hand is a lot cooler when you know barely anything about it. They were the coolest in season 1 of Daredevil when we knew poo poo about them except that Gao was loving awesome and then Nobu shows up and whoops Matt's rear end. We didn't even know they were the Hand, just that a secret organisation was backing Kingpin and that Gao could punch Matt 10 feet backwards with no explanation. There was a real feeling of mystique and intrigue.

Then in DD 2 they're cool in that one scene where Matt can't hear their movements and he shits his pants. Or when Claire freaks out over them being zombies. But after that we find out who and what they are and they basically just become ninja mooks to be run through with some vague mystical motivations. Still a bit cool and they could lead to something badass.

And then Iron Fist we find out even more about them and they suck balls. They're just a kind of lovely cult. The only interesting thing about them in Iron Fist is that Gao and Bakuto honestly came off as far more reasonable and competent than Danny did and I was honestly rooting against him for most of it.

And finally in Defenders we know everything about them and they're just petty, boring assholes. Nothing intriguing or intelligent about them anymore. They aren't even ninja's anymore, just losers in face masks. Their leaders are just pathetic old exiles desperately clinging to life. How are they even threatening anymore? Kingpin was so feared a man stabbed himself through the eye just for saying his name. Meanwhile Danny just goes "c'mon" and tracks them down. loving Elektra is like a god to them. These guys are ants compared to the Avengers, or even just to Luke Cage.

Gao is the only cool thing about them and even she'd be totally ruined if not for the actress being so drat good.

Never meet your heroes.

DrNutt posted:

They... did, though. There were ninja. Lots of ninja. Didn't you see the ninja? They had some kind of immortality dust, and followed the Inverse Ninja Power Rule (the fewer the ninja the more powerful they are) and there was a lot of punching and stabbing.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Those ninja costumes get smelly.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If "embracing their comic roots" means borrowing dragon bone sets from Power Rangers I think I'm good.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The Netflix series may be falling into the same trap that the Arrow shows did. That show was great because it was grounded, dark and realistic. But the Flash came along and even though the first season of that show was great everything became very comicbooky and the tone became pretty goofy, even on Arrow. Superpowers and magic started to undercut the feeling of the show. I couldn't feel any tension or investment in the show any more. The tone shifted and they couldn't get the immersion factor back. I think the same thing is happening here.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

They... did, though. There were ninja. Lots of ninja. Didn't you see the ninja? They had some kind of immortality dust, and followed the Inverse Ninja Power Rule (the fewer the ninja the more powerful they are) and there was a lot of punching and stabbing.

Implicit in the request is the rider "and do it well", I know you're still struggling with this idea.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Dark and gritty works for Daredevil because that's the type of character he's been for most of his existence - struggling with the ethics of vigilantism and Catholicism, constantly knee-deep in poverty and street crime, and grappling with the shortcomings of the legal system. He's a blind man whose superpower is largely "not actually blind." But what makes a good story for Daredevil does not necessarily work for characters like Luke Cage (whose roots are, and still remain, in blaxploitation) or Iron Fist (whose best stories involve embracing camp and mysticism.)

The reasons why the first season of Daredevil was so good and the later shows were considerably less good have less to do with being grounded and gritty, given that they attempted to do that with all of the characters to a greater or lesser degree - I agree with other comments that the shows at times seem actively embarrassed about being comic book shows - and more to do with the fact they've been so much lower budget than they should have been. Plus losing Daredevil's first season fight choreographer, that was a hell of a blow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This show was good and I agree with the poster who said they were asking "Where's Jessica?" every time she wasn't on screen.

Nephthys posted:

The Netflix series may be falling into the same trap that the Arrow shows did. That show was great because it was grounded, dark and realistic.

Lmao I quite enjoyed Arrow but it was never any of those things!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

marktheando posted:

Of course it was, did you see how many bodies Oliver dropped? That's the true mark of "grounded and realistic"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Daredevil season 2 was always going to be about magic ninjas.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I think the finale would have been better if each hero had their own fight,when you have one hero who's not a good fighter (iron fist) one guy who's a tank,one who's a super ninja with enhanced senses and one punchy lady against an old lady (who can only do a bit before the stunt double comes in) and two other guys(and later on add in ten extra guys) it turns into a clusterfuck.

The end felt rushed just like all the endings have up to now (only Daredevil season 1 had a clean ending that felt right).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

McSpanky posted:

Implicit in the request is the rider "and do it well", I know you're still struggling with this idea.

Ninja are inherently lame, though. I know you're struggling with this idea.

Aphrodite posted:

Daredevil season 2 was always going to be about magic ninjas.

Pretty much, yeah.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
It's kind of interesting that the Defenders is usually Dr. Strange's thing. And I kind of wish AOS didn't do Ghost Rider. He'd be cool to see on a Netflix show, even if he isn't grounded at all. Just love GR.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AoS had a much higher per-episode budget than a Netflix Ghost Rider show would ever have.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

marktheando posted:

Obviously I meant relative to the medium, aka for a comicbook show. It was like that in the same way Batman Begins was, since it was so drat similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Arist posted:

AoS had a much higher per-episode budget than a Netflix Ghost Rider show would ever have.

Really? I mean maybe they got a bit of a boost to do GR but they also have to spread their budget out over a traditional network season of 20-some episodes.

To me, what makes The Hand a unique threat in the comics isn't any individual member. Sure, it is interesting when a notable character takes control of The Hand. Elektra, Fisk, Bullseye, even Daredevil all have histories of leading The Hand. What makes them unique, to me, is that they are similar to a force of nature. Most Hand appearances in the comics they are just a huge horde of never ending ninjas who just kind of disappear once they're killed. I'm talking hundreds or thousands. So seeing, like we saw in DD S2 and Defenders, what, 15-30 people? most of whom have no powers? That isn't a huge threat. Especially for 4 people either highly skilled or with super powers.

And of the individual Hand members, we know almost nothing about them and they seem to be handled quite easily. We don't really see them building influence in the various criminal or legitimate businesses they're involved in like we saw with Fisk. There was no Wesley type character out there building bridges and breaking legs. We're just kind of told The Hand has active influences everywhere and we're just supposed to believe it.