Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I like the Japanese personalities laid out there because it sets up a dynamic that's really different from Callie and Marie, and also emphasizes that Marina's a newcomer to the squid world. Also, her body language matches that more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Zelder posted:

They completely changed Marina's AND Pearl's personality. I am not happy with it honestly.
Pearl in jp is much more awesome, cute, more feminine and peppy in a positive way than the english bratty one we're getting.(probably why we're getting shittons of fanart from the jp side...) And Pearl is awesome for accepting Marina, who is an Octoling which are like sworn enemies of Inklings. Girl is open minded.
Marina is actually polite, shy, and an endearing ditz genius instead of rude. She often forgets stuff and is very scatterbrained and adorable. If anything I'd say she's kinda moe in personality in a sexy DJ appearance. What the hell happened?!
And they totally missed out on the senpai kouhai dynamic the two has in jp version, Pearl actually seems like she was, leading Marina and showing her the ropes.
TLDR; Yes, I am very salty about the personality changes.

Edit: To clarify, I can read japanese and played both jp and US splatfests.

Please check your abbreviations. "jp" is considered offensive to nihonjin (Japanese people.) The proper nomenclature is "jap".

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

demota posted:

I like the Japanese personalities laid out there because it sets up a dynamic that's really different from Callie and Marie, and also emphasizes that Marina's a newcomer to the squid world. Also, her body language matches that more.

It's pretty obvious in the English as well. I like how Pearl plays the heel.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

enojy posted:

You fuckers be nice to best girl Pearl-sama

Incidentally, that amount of "Pearl is a garbage baby" stuff I have seen has dropped a lot. And it's ok, I don't want Pearl to be just rehashed D.va. She also has massive forehead.

demota posted:

One thing that annoys me about Marina is that when Grizz co. ad comes, she always says that Pearl is shilling. But it's the loving sponsor. Pearl actually does shill a lot of products but this is their sponsor. Whyyyy. Thank you for listening.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The shill line is great? Pearl is a great shill.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the writing for Pearl and Marina is great, I don't know why people always freak out when a localization isn't a direct translation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Honestly my only concern was that Treehouse would have gotten lazy and turned Marina into Marie 2.0 from what I saw from the splatfest game lines. Though that obviously isn't the case now that the game has been out for a while. I'm honestly pretty fine with it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ this one

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Marina isn't rude! It's just a natural reaction to Pearl's dumbassery.

Honestly her teasing feels very older sibling-y, although I'm sure they're probably the same age

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
it's a work

they're reading from teleprompters

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

dragon enthusiast posted:

it's a work

they're reading from teleprompters

I bet you don't believe in visits from Santa on Squidmas either.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
santa went extinct much like the rest of mammalian life

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

an actual dog posted:

It's pretty obvious in the English as well. I like how Pearl plays the heel.

Huh. I always kind of read it as like... Pearl is a spaz and Marina reflexively tears her down at every opportunity.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
Switch won't work on uni wifi :negative:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

dragon enthusiast posted:

santa went extinct much like the rest of mammalian life

Are you saying Father Squidmas doesn't exist? :ohdearsass:

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
People in Profreshional still have a strange aversion to killing Flyfish, even after a month of play. Is their thought process that you should just dodge them and focus on more important targets?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Fossilized Rappy posted:

People in Profreshional still have a strange aversion to killing Flyfish, even after a month of play. Is their thought process that you should just dodge them and focus on more important targets?
Depends on the situation, but there have been plenty of times where a FlyFish spawns pretty close to the edge of the map with 40 seconds left in the round and I decide to simply focus on killing all the mobs closest to the bin and pocketing the eggs while avoiding the airstrikes and simply surviving.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Fossilized Rappy posted:

I think so, but that's me. Unless I've got a bomb super or they're really conveniently located, I skip them -- there is just too much poo poo spawning at Profreshional to worry about saving up ink for a bomb and aiming up, just to take out half of it. It helps that they're one of the easier bosses to avoid completely.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

On the topic of salmon run, please tell me that people learn to bomb Maws eventually. I'm almost out of Overachiever and like every fourth game I see someone else do it. :negative:

Or at least, acknowledge it exists because I'd be fine with everyone ignoring it if people didn't always inevitably being eaten by it.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 22, 2017

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Kalsco posted:

On the topic of salmon run, please tell me that people learn to bomb Maws eventually. I'm almost out of Overachiever and like every fourth game I see someone else do it. :negative:

Or at least, acknowledge it exists because I'd be fine with everyone ignoring it if people didn't always inevitably being eaten by it.
The biggest problem with Profresh seems to be Mothership. Sometimes the weapon selection is just trash for it (you need a ton of range) but it seems like people don't understand you need to shoot down the crates before they land. Also USE YOUR SPECIALS. I'm loving sick of getting swarmed by small frys when trying to finish off a griller while the guy with the splashdown just lets everyone die.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People are very good about bombing maws at profreshional. It actually becomes a bit of a problem; instead of letting your lure maws back to the basket people will bomb it the first time it pops up at the edge of the map. Which helps if you're being overwhelmed but most of the time just robs you of 3 easy eggs one person can cash in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

throw to first drat IT posted:

Incidentally, that amount of "Pearl is a garbage baby" stuff I have seen has dropped a lot. And it's ok, I don't want Pearl to be just rehashed D.va. She also has massive forehead.

One thing that annoys me about Marina is that when Grizz co. ad comes, she always says that Pearl is shilling. But it's the loving sponsor. Pearl actually does shill a lot of products but this is their sponsor. Whyyyy. Thank you for listening.

Sponsorships are also shilling

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also if you've never playfully given your friends poo poo, you haven't had true friends.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The banter was real during Mayo v ketchup. Looking fwd to pearl's pitch for flying v invis

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wish the post match stuff was skippable. Or at least shorter

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally switched to motion controls w/ split joycons. Holy gently caress, what the gently caress was wrong with me?

edit: of course now I just got steam-rolled on tower control. At least I topped the loser's leaderboard.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

dog nougat posted:

Finally switched to motion controls w/ split joycons. Holy gently caress, what the gently caress was wrong with me?

edit: of course now I just got steam-rolled on tower control. At least I topped the loser's leaderboard.
The endgame leaderboards in ranked matches are sorted by current ELO, which doesn't change based on your performance in the current match, so the order of the list doesn't really matter as much as the k:d ratio.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

throw to first drat IT posted:

Marina's being sarcastic because Pearl's shilling is a half-hearted "Go work for them :effort:".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It's a localization error. Marina's supposed to say "krill".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bill Barber posted:

The endgame leaderboards in ranked matches are sorted by current ELO, which doesn't change based on your performance in the current match, so the order of the list doesn't really matter as much as the k:d ratio.

Ohhhh that's what the order is? Neat

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

Ohhhh that's what the order is? Neat
You can tell because if you're on a big winning streak you'll always be top ranked at the end of the match, regardless of how good you do. Same goes for if you carry your team after a long losing streak you'll still be on the bottom.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A lot of people don't realize that sting ray can be the best special in Salmon Run if used properly. Sad.

Every time I got glowflies tonight, I stood by the basket and spammed this way. One of the times the whole team joined me after about fifteen seconds and we got 30+ eggs. Another time they didn't and we nearly wiped and barely got 20 eggs. Dudes with the glowflies kept running off on their own like idiots. I wish there were custom options for things to say with like, left and right on the dpad

Edit: what's ELO? And also what determines the "power" level that's displayed at the beginning of ranked matches?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

bizarre deformity posted:

A lot of people don't realize that sting ray can be the best special in Salmon Run if used properly. Sad.

Every time I got glowflies tonight, I stood by the basket and spammed this way. One of the times the whole team joined me after about fifteen seconds and we got 30+ eggs. Another time they didn't and we nearly wiped and barely got 20 eggs. Dudes with the glowflies kept running off on their own like idiots. I wish there were custom options for things to say with like, left and right on the dpad

Edit: what's ELO? And also what determines the "power" level that's displayed at the beginning of ranked matches?

ELO is your matchmaking rating, or in a more crude way of describing it, how good the game thinks you are. The average of all the player's ELOs is what displays the squid power level at the beginning of the match.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Ranked score used for matchmaking. Splatoon calls it "power" and you can see it visualized during the start of ranked matches or during league/splatfests.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can't see your own power except during Splatfest though, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can't see your own power except during Splatfest though, right?

It also shows it in League mode since the whole thing is structured around the power level leaderboards that reset for each 2 hour period

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Fun fact: it’s spelled Elo. It’s named after the dude who came up with it.
(:goonsay:)

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired

pokeyman posted:

Fun fact: it’s spelled Elo. It’s named after the dude who came up with it.
(:goonsay:)

Jeff Lynne?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sponsorships are also shilling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

DalaranJ posted:

P. S. We regret to inform you that brain remixing results in permanent brain damage.

That's Callie's excuse. What about Blake?

In Training posted:

Her characterization makes me think she's older than marina and short

I hate myself for checking in on this artist. Their art never improves, and yet I hope.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 22, 2017