Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I mean, let's not poo poo on him for wanting to practice.

Go check out some solo drills stuff on Youtube and do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
You've been training like 5 weeks? Cancel your vacation maybe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I honestly don't know why you'd even bother going back to class after taking a whole week off.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Pocket Billiards posted:

You've been training like 5 weeks? Cancel your vacation maybe.

Priorities, right?!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Newbie enthusiasm us cool. I suggest yoga and also consider supplementing your training once or twice a week with it when not vacationing. Helps with injury prevention and strengthens you in subtle ways.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

vaginal facsimile posted:

I'm going on vacation for a week. Are there any suggestions to keep from falling off too hard? Plan now is to keep up cardio, maybe do some yoga.

thats really all id do myself. do more cardio than usual if you have energy to spare. rent a bike in that case cos you can get injuries from suddenly running more than youre used to

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

JaySB posted:

I mean, let's not poo poo on him for wanting to practice.

Go check out some solo drills stuff on Youtube and do that.

Didn't mean to come off that way. Watching some vids is always good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Good to see this thread pop back up -

Who did cool things in the past few months? Do we have any new blues, purples, brown, or black belts? Anyone crush a tourney?

I can't even mountain bike until March. I need some happy or funny training stories as sustanence while I attempt loving yoga.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Who did cool things in the past few months? Do we have any new blues, purples, brown, or black belts? Anyone crush a tourney?

I can't even mountain bike until March. I need some happy or funny training stories as sustanence while I attempt loving yoga.

A whole ton of promotions including a guy who popped up in the martial arts thread to show his pictures of getting a black belt from jjm

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Captain Log posted:

I just went back to class last week for the first time in month and 1/2. Party due to shoulder injury I got during a competition In June and part being lazy.

Good to be back!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I'm rounding in on 10 years of grappling and I'm still a white belt and my knee hurts :toot:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Captain Log posted:

yoga is good, my dude

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

CommonShore posted:

A whole ton of promotions including a guy who popped up in the martial arts thread to show his pictures of getting a black belt from jjm

Who is the new black belt? I thought we only had two. Three would be awesome.

omg chael crash posted:

yoga is good, my dude

I've been an athlete since I was thirteen and struggle to touch my toes. It will sure as hell be helpful but I dread it more than sparring a guy with fifty pounds on me.

It's my lower back. It isn't messed up at all (I can switch kick at head level) but it's always extremely tight.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm rounding in on 10 years of grappling and I'm still a white belt and my knee hurts :toot:

My brother.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Same, but blue belt. :smith:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log posted:

Who is the new black belt? I thought we only had two. Three would be awesome.

I've been an athlete since I was thirteen and struggle to touch my toes. It will sure as hell be helpful but I dread it more than sparring a guy with fifty pounds on me.

It's my lower back. It isn't messed up at all (I can switch kick at head level) but it's always extremely tight.

My brother.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790003&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=40#post474872545

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

i went to very cool event in Austin this past weekend that involved two of my fav things, drinks & grapples. it was held at the back of a brewery, $20 got you two pints and 3 hours on the mat. very talented fightmen and dece booze. they might make it a regular thing and heck, ill try to be there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Wangsbig posted:

i went to very cool event in Austin this past weekend that involved two of my fav things, drinks & grapples. it was held at the back of a brewery, $20 got you two pints and 3 hours on the mat. very talented fightmen and dece booze. they might make it a regular thing and heck, ill try to be there.

that's cool

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I'm four years booze sober but I KNOW slightly buzzed me could wreck poo poo. For about thirty seconds until the gas runs out.

Don't spar hammered, friends.

(I'd so go to that event. I'm west coast now so I literally might start with Team Quest if my body heals correctly. They are pretty drat friendly.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

: saves picture in folder marked "Future Avs for Horrible Website" :

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Captain Log posted:

Don't spar hammered, friends.
We have a very well known "no drunk jiu-jitsu" rule at my gym. Sometimes we even follow it.

Today was a weird day. It just felt like I was trying to teach a mindset to a group of people that were there to learn techniques. I think I'm going to need to chat with some folks and see how today's lesson went down.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Crumps Brother posted:

Today was a weird day. It just felt like I was trying to teach a mindset to a group of people that were there to learn techniques. I think I'm going to need to chat with some folks and see how today's lesson went down.

Are you a new instructor?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

abstract concepts are much harder to convey to a large group of people than techniques. if you don't have a real gift for explanation, being able to verbalise the concept of 'mindset' so that a class of >3 will understand it might be tough.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Seltzer posted:

Are you a new instructor?
Nah, been teaching for many years now. Long enough to know I wasn't capturing their attention like I would have preferred. My main goal now is to roll with everyone that was in class today as soon as possible so they can get a feel for what I was talking about before it's completely off their radar.

Basically, I was trying to stress to them that "position before submission" is more than a cliche they hear at seminars. I then told them all the ways they're pissing away good positions because they're chasing subs. Then followed that with the non-sexy non-submission moves they're better off doing instead. We're in the middle of a series right now where a bunch of different upper belts are teaching all sorts of cool tips and tricks and I don't think people were ready for the abrupt change of pace for my turn in the spotlight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Crumps Brother posted:

Nah, been teaching for many years now. Long enough to know I wasn't capturing their attention like I would have preferred. My main goal now is to roll with everyone that was in class today as soon as possible so they can get a feel for what I was talking about before it's completely off their radar.

Basically, I was trying to stress to them that "position before submission" is more than a cliche they hear at seminars. I then told them all the ways they're pissing away good positions because they're chasing subs. Then followed that with the non-sexy non-submission moves they're better off doing instead. We're in the middle of a series right now where a bunch of different upper belts are teaching all sorts of cool tips and tricks and I don't think people were ready for the abrupt change of pace for my turn in the spotlight.

i've posted this in the ufc thread recently, but chris weidman truly acknowledging the 'position before submission' concept led directly to subbing kelvin and making it look loving easy. here's the breakdown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JbVYedTgnA

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've thought this since I started with MMA stuff in 2008 but there really needs to be wrestling schools or some sort of intermediate step.

The body economy requires to do a Jiu Jitsu well can realistically take years to master.

If I heal up decently, I'm literally going to look for some wrestling exclusive instruction. The only gym I ever went to that focused on wrestling was waaaaay too chute box in their approach to things to start a career there.

Do any sports outside of football and judo transfer to BJJ decently?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Do any sports outside of football and judo transfer to BJJ decently?

anything where you wrestle a dude in some form or another seems to give you a leg up.

from there i see not much difference between soccer players or karate dudes to normal people except for being naturally fitter and more athletic / aware of their bodies.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Crumps Brother posted:

I didn't mean to sound rude I was just curious. My instructors occasionally talk about mindset which I enjoy, they'll use a concept as a framework and then use moves and reactions as the examples of the concept. I thought maybe you were getting at that. For instance we might do a whole thing with offbalancing as a concept or deception/feinting as a concept and drill around that. It usually goes down well, I don't think position before submission is that advanced of a concept?

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Seltzer posted:

I didn't mean to sound rude I was just curious. My instructors occasionally talk about mindset which I enjoy, they'll use a concept as a framework and then use moves and reactions as the examples of the concept. I thought maybe you were getting at that. For instance we might do a whole thing with offbalancing as a concept or deception/feinting as a concept and drill around that. It usually goes down well, I don't think position before submission is that advanced of a concept?
It's all good. I didn't think you were being rude. I know I don't really post in this thread much (just counted! gonna be 5 posts after this one) so it's not like I have a rapport with you guys. It certainly isn't an advanced concept or anything like that. I've been chatting with some of my guys tonight and I'm kinda settled on the idea that if we were in the middle of a "cool tricks" series then everything would have felt better. My entire game is basically trickless so it was going to be different even if I had the extra day of prep.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Crumps Brother posted:

It's all good. I didn't think you were being rude. I know I don't really post in this thread much (just counted! gonna be 5 posts after this one) so it's not like I have a rapport with you guys. It certainly isn't an advanced concept or anything like that. I've been chatting with some of my guys tonight and I'm kinda settled on the idea that if we were in the middle of a "cool tricks" series then everything would have felt better. My entire game is basically trickless so it was going to be different even if I had the extra day of prep.

Keep posting! I love hearing the coaching side of things. I've taught women's self defense but only legit coached fencing. I like to absorb things from a coach standpoint because my BJJ is just a stalling game.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Crumps Brother posted:

as mentioned above, position over submission is a basic concept but black belt world champion chris weidman went on a three fight losing streak partly because he wasn't adhering to this 'basic' premise. what are your thoughts on position > submission? what did you want to get across to your class?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I like forcing scrambles or movement to catch guys in transition just about as much as I do securing a position and grinding away to a sub.

Here's a cool d'arce variation/detail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUNVvR6xy-U

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
A couple examples from yesterday. First being back mount. Watching and rolling with my students leaves me with the impression they think they need to hit that choke right now before their opponent escapes. But they totally ignore how much control they have back there if only they were to slow down a bit and solidify that position before rushing off for a sub. If a person is able to get on their hands and knees then you should be working to flatten them back out using hip pressure and concentrate on not falling too far up their body instead of giving up on the position and trying to grab an armbar as you fall over their head. I talked about seatbelt and how to properly rest your choking arm so you can maintain the back mount longer without blowing up your grips.

I had a student ask me about a particular choke. Hell if I know a name for it, but from side mount when you slide your own lapel cross body, grab it with your top hand that's under their head, then post at their inside hip and pivot your body so you can lower your head to their side while applying pressure with that arm that's holding the lapel. Anyways, that choke is pretty easy to stop if you know it's coming and just get an arm up inside their lapel. So anyways, the student wants to know what to do if the person gets their arm in there. I tell him to just go back to side mount.
"But what can I do to finish the choke?" (still chasing subs on a hope and a prayer)
"You lost the choke. Now you're two feet away from your opponent and at best you *might* be grabbing their pants at the hip, but probably not. Go back and make sure you still have your side mount."

It seems like a lot of them are totally ok with having every failed submission attempt end in a scramble and just assuming it will work out. I'm certainly not against a good scramble, but if you originally had control and now you don't it means you screwed up somewhere.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Great discussion going on here. I was at a grappling seminar a few months back and I was definitely in the "gotta catch subs" mindsets and see the attractiveness of the bag of tricks way of grappling. The instructor of the camp made the "old school" or unflashy grappling style kinda cool to me by saying that basically, his plan, when grappling now, is to basically manhandle guys and crush them. He was a submission guy in the early part of his career and can still catch a bunch of flying whatever's but comes at grappling with a mindset of "I'm going to make you feel like i'm huge and you're small". The way he explained that vision of grappling made it very alluring and has helped in making me focus more on getting on top and flattening guys out as you (Crumps Brother) explained.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

On the flip side, my instructor very rarely teaches subs. I don't hit subs very often, and when I do, it's from a YouTube video.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I want my instructors to teach more bottom game - escapes, sweeps, and guard recovery stuff.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Odddzy posted:

Great discussion going on here. I was at a grappling seminar a few months back and I was definitely in the "gotta catch subs" mindsets and see the attractiveness of the bag of tricks way of grappling. The instructor of the camp made the "old school" or unflashy grappling style kinda cool to me by saying that basically, his plan, when grappling now, is to basically manhandle guys and crush them. He was a submission guy in the early part of his career and can still catch a bunch of flying whatever's but comes at grappling with a mindset of "I'm going to make you feel like i'm huge and you're small". The way he explained that vision of grappling made it very alluring and has helped in making me focus more on getting on top and flattening guys out as you (Crumps Brother) explained.
If you have control, you should not give it away to 'get' the submission. At least that's my opinion on this.

Ideally you should keep the control while getting the submission but if that is not possible yet, I think it is much safer to keep the dominant position. As in Judo, if you have Kuzushi, (unbalancing in the literal sense but also "initiative" as well) you loving keep it.

I think both Judo and BJJ are the same in this regard. Yes, you have the submissions and the throws. However these are both based off of "positional dominance" for lack of a better term. Without it, you have.... techniques without substance.

Which is frankly what happened to a lot of sub-par Aikido guys. However their case has some very complicated issues involved, well beyond "not training aliveness".
(Ueshiba's personal changes to curriculum and his personal objectives pre and post second world war. Ueshiba's son, Kisshomaru, decision to try and reach a considerably wider audience and the associated change in training. As well as Takeda Sokaku's students potentially being shown 'techniques' but not... given the solo training exercises that led to the development of 'power' used as the basis for them.)

I am kind of sort of tempted to get back into grappling but gym drama truly puts me off.

First instructor had issues and bankrupted the gym.(A year and a half or 2 years with him) 2nd instructor was okay but moved after about a year. 3rd instructor seemed okay, I moved cross country after a few months for work. 4th instructor was a pretty cool dude, but not a whole lot of other students to train with. I went from training 3-4 days a week to maybe training 2x a week that was for about 2 years. I have not trained in the last ohhh... 2.5 years due to working over seas.

Then one day I read the local paper and found out instructor 3 was fiddling with a student. Fffffffffffffffffffffffff. (He's in jail or on parole now.)

Sounds like 3-4 old fellow students (under instructors 1, 2, 3, and others) have taken up the reigns.... I can't believe its almost been 8-10 years of training for them at this point.

I doubt any of us would have imagined things would have turned out like they have.

Decisions decisions....

Living in the past is never a good thing.
However, some times it is best to leave good memories as-is and not ruin them with the harshness of present reality.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 23, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Life is too short for "what if" thoughts. You've got the itch, go for it! Trust me, your body will let you know when you aren't up to snuff.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Captain Log posted:

Life is too short for "what if" thoughts. You've got the itch, go for it! Trust me, your body will let you know when you aren't up to snuff.
The problem is not training.

It is how to handle asking morally hard questions like "How did you guys handle that Coach XYZ was a molester? What are you doing different to ensure it does not happen again." (He is long gone, the gym name changed, a different owner, a different coach. But the tarnished reputation will remain for some time.)

5-6 years of hard work developing their gym as a community, gone.

Since I know the new owners/coaches, I suppose I will approach the question in private...

But there are only 2 possible responses, 1 of which is acceptable and 1 which is not.
(They own up and say he is persona non grata and that they've taken additional measures to prevent this from happening again in the future with someone else. Or they white wash the incident and say "Its not his fault...")

Those are literally the only two possible outcomes.

A good reminder to everyone in the thread that for a number of reasons, you should always have at least 2 independent adults present when minors are involved in training or in the gym. Even if they're (the adults) just watching, that is enough.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Crumps Brother posted:

It seems like a lot of them are totally ok with having every failed submission attempt end in a scramble and just assuming it will work out. I'm certainly not against a good scramble, but if you originally had control and now you don't it means you screwed up somewhere.

Could you start with the submission and work backwards? Maybe you can grab their attention that way. Tell them "we're doing back attacks today" but just teach them the rear naked choke in 30 steps instead of 5, and as you're teaching downplay the importance of the actual finish and play up the importance of the control steps.