Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

precision posted:

Has anyone figured out if anything happens if you just keep fighting infinitely at the end?

Not as far as I could tell, I kept going for as long as I could and the voices just repeated the same advice every knockdown. The screen effects got pretty extreme by the end, every time I screwed up the image turned into a silhouette of Senua, her enemy, and a spray of blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hooray - they got that patch out.

Finally I can finish the game :)

http://www.hellblade.com/hellblade-patch-1-01-released-for-playstation-4-pc/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not only are all the bugfixes great, the combat balance tweaks sound really good too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife gets severe migraines that can cause visual hallucinations, so I asked her to play a little of the game over the weekend to get her thoughts on it. After about an hour: "so she hears voices that say you suck and you're gonna die. Big deal, I get those all the time!"

peonic
Jun 14, 2006
SysAdmin of the Apocalypse

exquisite tea posted:

My wife gets severe migraines that can cause visual hallucinations, so I asked her to play a little of the game over the weekend to get her thoughts on it. After about an hour: "so she hears voices that say you suck and you're gonna die. Big deal, I get those all the time!"

If you ever come home to your wife wearing blue warpaint and wielding a huge sword...... run like the loving wind and never look back!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

peonic posted:

If you ever come home to your wife wearing blue warpaint and wielding a huge sword...... run like the loving wind and never look back!

That doesn't sound very supportive :colbert:

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

peonic posted:

the warpaint was after everyone she loved was killed by Aryan invaders, dumbass. did you even play the game???

now if people come in ranks with norse runes on their clothing and shouting about the death and enslavement of those they think lesser, then you should be worried.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 17, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hooray - they got that patch out.

Finally I can finish the game :)

http://www.hellblade.com/hellblade-patch-1-01-released-for-playstation-4-pc/

Actually no I can't because this patch hasn't fixed poo poo for me. Still stuck with an invisible torch and no way forward

:negative:

peonic
Jun 14, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Actually no I can't because this patch hasn't fixed poo poo for me. Still stuck with an invisible torch and no way forward

:negative:

PC or PS4?

Let me know as exactly as you can where you are, and I'll try and get you a save game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

peonic posted:

PC or PS4?

Let me know as exactly as you can where you are, and I'll try and get you a save game.

PS4 unfortunately, but thanks anyway.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Kick can be used during the Surtr trial to shove enemies into fire and again in the final area to knock them off the bridge although the angle needs to be fairly precise for it to function properly.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

You can kick dudes off a lot of things, including the bridge to Hel, and I gotta say that IDK what that means for them in a cosmological sense. Are they now tapped between the land of the living and the dead? Maybe!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

https://twitter.com/NinjaTheory/status/898825397441318913

I think Ninja Theory have mentioned they would need between 300k-400k copies sold to begin making a profit. Steamspy has them around ~110k after 10 days on PC, so if the usual ratios between PS4 + PC players hold they may have already crossed that benchmark. I do hope Hellblade ends up being a success and encourages more studios to strike out on their own with inventive concepts like this.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hope it does well, not only because it's a good game but because I think the half price model for this style of game is fantastic.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Fuuuuuuuuuuck this game was/is good.

I wanted more gods to fight, and there were definitely bits that got waaaay too disorienting in the dark, but it's just killer moment after killer moment. The story is incredible. The character performances are incredible. I wonder how much better it looks on a PS4 Pro... seeing as it was already one of the more gorgeous games I've seen for PS4.

So if I'm reading this right:

Senua's mother claimed to have a "sight" that her father resented that she passed down to her daughter, who was plagued by mental illness that became stigmatized as "being cursed." One day, a plague came and killed a lot of people that Senua may have had a premonition about because of her sight, so her father blames her curse for the plague and locks her indoors. She escapes his captivity and goes to live in the woods, becoming beset by darkness and insanity made worse by her isolation, at which time the Darkness manifests as a result of her fear and resentment about her father. She finds Dillion and falls in love with him after watching him train from afar, but he and everybody else are killed when Vikings invade and burn their village. Senua's mother is burned by the Vikings [I may be wrong here - is the implication that she was killed by her husband?? The voices during the pyre sequence seem to suggest this] and Dillion is ritually sacrificed by the Vikings [blood eagle sequence.] She sets out with Dillion's severed head in tow to go reclaim his soul from Hell.

Surtr is very representative of the fear of the brutality of the Vikings, Valravn is representative of being a social outcast and having no one understand you, and Fenrir is the shadow of her father who speaks in his voice. She defeats each of these to try to get Dillion's soul back, but can only succeed by letting go of her grief. We see Hela, the death goddess, cradling the head, then shifting into Senua who drops it - implying that her fear of death is also let go along with her grief.

So, in the very first enemy encounter - we see her being cut down by a shadow enemy much like the kind you fight later in the game. It is stated that only the dead can enter Hell. Are we seeing a pure journey through the afterlife, in that case? Or some kind of limbo state? Or is it more like Senua's soul is darkened/killed, and she has to vision quest her way back from that defeat by darkness by venturing down into the depths of her trauma and finding resolution?

The game is obviously super magical-realist, so the blurring of these boundaries is definitely the fun part. It's bits of all these theories all at once.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 20, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

strangemusic posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck this game was/is good.

I wanted more gods to fight, and there were definitely bits that got waaaay too disorienting in the dark, but it's just killer moment after killer moment. The story is incredible. The character performances are incredible.

So if I'm reading this right:

Senua's mother claimed to have a "sight" that her father resented that she passed down to her daughter, who was plagued by mental illness that became stigmatized as "being cursed." One day, a plague came and killed a lot of people that Senua may have had a premonition about because of her sight, so her father blames her curse for the plague and locks her indoors. She escapes his captivity and goes to live in the woods, becoming beset by darkness and insanity. She finds Dillion and falls in love after watching him train, but he and everybody else are killed when Vikings invade and burn their village. Senua's mother is burned by the Vikings [I may be wrong here - is the implication that she was killed by her husband?? The voices during the pyre sequence seem to suggest this] and Dillion is ritually sacrificed by the Vikings.

So, in the very first enemy encounter - we see her being cut down by a shadow enemy. It is stated that only the dead can enter Hell. Are we seeing a pure journey through the afterlife, in that case?

You have things a little out of order.

Senua's mom was burned at the stake by her father Zynbel when Senua was five years old. She repressed this memory and believes her mother killed herself to save Senua from her curse. Fearing his daughter has the same curse, Zynbel keeps Senua out of sight and rarely permits her to leave the house. As a teenager, Senua encounters Dillion training for the warrior trials. The two enlist together and fall in love. Dillion's support gives Senua the strength to ultimately leave her father. A few years later, a plague sets upon the town killing many people, including Dillion's own father. Zynbel publicly blames Senua for bringing this curse upon the village, and Senua believes it herself. She sets out into the woods in hopes to cure her darkness. While living in exile she encounters a badly burned man named Druth, who tells her stories of the Northmen and his own darkness before succumbing to his wounds. Senua returns to her village only to find its inhabitants massacred, and Dillion displayed in a gruesome Blood Eagle formation. This is what triggers Senua's full psychotic breakdown. Informed by Druth's stories, she concludes that Dillion has been sacrificed the Hela, the Viking god of the dead. Believing the head to be the seat of the soul, Senua takes Dillion's skull and travels to Helheim to bargain for his immortal life. It's suggested that Senua can enter Hel because she can see the world of both the living and the dead, or what Druth calls the Sight.

As for "what if it was all a dream / she was dead the whole time?!" speculation, I think the game would rather us conclude that everything Senua experiences is indeed real, because to her there is no difference between objective and subjective reality. Everything we see and do is from the viewpoint of Senua's own mind, and since we are never allowed to see it from any other perspective, it's probably safest to take everything at face value.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Game keeps topping PSN's sales chart and even got up to #2 on Steam at one point. I'm so happy this game is doing well, probably do a second playthrough tonight on Hard to see the balance changes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Anyone who did the first part of the trial in the darkness with your eyes closed raise your hand.

The script was overwrought at points and it uses the word "darkness" so much that Tetsuya Nomura might sue, but overall this was solid. I never liked Ninja Theory so I'm glad they finally gave me a reason not to write them off entirely.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

From what I understand (endgame spoiler) without Druth everything would have been different for Senua. Her culture is quite different, if it werent for Druth she would not have that information on northern mythology. Not only did it provide a form and fuel for her psychosis, it also gave her the illusion of an objective to chase. She was glad she met Druth but in the long run it ended up being detrimental.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mindblast posted:

From what I understand (endgame spoiler) without Druth everything would have been different for Senua. Her culture is quite different, if it werent for Druth she would not have that information on northern mythology. Not only did it provide a form and fuel for her psychosis, it also gave her the illusion of an objective to chase. She was glad she met Druth but in the long run it ended up being detrimental.

Well, also she outright says she would have died if she hadn't met Druth in the wilds, and that he suffered from psychosis as well and is the one who helped her understand that she can fight it off

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sucked up my game-breaking bug woes and played through the game again and finally finished it. Loved the hell out of it - and I could not get enough of the photo mode.

Anyone else get any neat shots?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mindblast posted:

While I think you could make that argument, I would say that Druth's stories help to give Senua a sense of purpose in the depths of her despair. In many ways it's Senua's own fantastical thinking that allows her to order her reality into some achievable quest, even if it's one that she eventually must abandon in order to move on. I think Senua's Sacrifice strikes at the heart of why we have myths in the first place. They imbue a greater cosmic purpose to a chaotic and uncaring universe where bad things happen without reason. By mythologizing her own grief, Senua can externalize her fractured psyche into an enemy that she can fight, and ultimately triumph over. The end of Hellblade was reminiscent of the proposition in The Life of Pi. You can believe a grieving woman suffers a psychotic breakdown with the death of the only man who ever loved her, or you can believe a warrior fights to the gates of hell to save her lover's immortal soul. Both realities might be true, but which would you prefer?

peonic
Jun 14, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Sucked up my game-breaking bug woes and played through the game again and finally finished it. Loved the hell out of it - and I could not get enough of the photo mode.

Glad you got there in the end - your sacrifice wasn't for nothing!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

peonic posted:

Glad you got there in the end - your sacrifice wasn't for nothing!

Ta - and cheers for your help trying to get me out of the jam.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Started my Hard Mode replay and the balance changes are great, it makes me wish there was an "endless arena" mode. I'm seeing combos I didn't know existed still!

Also got the Platinum. Turns out the ONE Runestone I missed is one I hadn't actually missed at all, it just hadn't triggered before for some reason.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just brought it and going in blindly. Can't wait to see what all the hype is about :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

Just brought it and going in blindly. Can't wait to see what all the hype is about :)

Wear headphones.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Snak posted:

Wear headphones.

You weren’t kidding. drat this game is hard to play

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I missed one of the runes. Do I need to go back?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Over There posted:

I missed one of the runes. Do I need to go back?

Do you mean the lorestones? They're totally optional, the only thing that unlocks with 100% of them is an achievement and a 30-second cutscene that doesn't affect the main story.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just finished. Holy poo poo that was an amazing game. Silent Hill 2 was one of my favorite games as a kid and it gave me so many of the same vibes. It was absolutely terrifying at some points.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

veni veni veni posted:

I really hope the permadeath thing is actually a bluff because I have died like 8 times in this burning house.

Same :v:

I started this last night and was totally hooked. The voice acting, the combat, everything. This maze part kinda frustrated me because it's been the only time I've died so far and the first 2-3 times I was totally panicked from being so immersed, with the latter few times being more gamey frustration.

This game is incredible though. I really hope it sells well because I'd love to see more mid-priced games with this kind of focus and length.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't say anything more without spoiling it for you, but what people interpreted as a permadeath message is not what it seems.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well this game is just cool as poo poo. Barely started but i'm really feeling it so far.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finished it this afternoon after two sessions that were about 4 hours each. My thoughts are kind of scattered but a few things stand out.

- The sound design is incredible. Binaural audio obviously works very well if a character is hearing voices, but it added so much to the whole experience. The voices gradually become less doubtful and mocking, more reassuring and confident as the game progresses. Hearing them cheer you on every now and then during combat was wonderful.

I love the sound of clashed steel during a perfectly timed parry.

- The combat, while not very deep, was incredibly satisfying. Almost every fight feels like a grueling struggle. It only started wearing thin to me on the bridge before you reach Hela. Fighting like a mad demon in the end and having a lone voice in your head reassure you that you can't lash out in fury forever was a nice way to cap it since the player is as exhausted as Senua by that point.

- While the use of live action actors helped reinforce the unreality of the whole experience, the effect was much better with Druth than Dillion or the Shadow since Druth had an opaque ghostly filter. It was just jarring having Dillion lying opposite Senua in that one sequence near the end.

- Shadow of the Colossus and Silent Hill 2 jumped out at me while playing as being good thematic and tonal companion pieces to this game, but it also reminded me a lot of the most recent Tomb Raider reboot. Tomb Raider tried to do a serious treatment about a woman who forges herself through violence and emerges as a survivor - even using some of the same imagery like rivers of blood - but its execution was infantile compared to this game.

Really glad I paid full price for this, if only so it helps convince publishers that $30 passion projects have a viable market.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

I can't say anything more without spoiling it for you, but what people interpreted as a permadeath message is not what it seems.

Is there something I'm missing on this? Was there a deeper meaning to it?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Over There posted:

Is there something I'm missing on this? Was there a deeper meaning to it?

Think about what happens at the end of the game. As Senua battles before Hela, the darkness reaches her head, but she no longer needs to fight it. She's accepted the past, and is moving on to the next story, she stands up, and you, or at least the camera, float away as she walks on. Your journey with Senua is over. Like a lot of things you and Senua were taught, it's not something to fear, in actuality.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like to imagine that all the stuff about going to Helheim actually literally happened. Senua is a warrior in a world of myth and magic, but also suffers from psychosis so you get this blend of genuinely fantastical things along with her mental illness making them even weirder.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I like to imagine that all the stuff about going to Helheim actually literally happened. Senua is a warrior in a world of myth and magic, but also suffers from psychosis so you get this blend of genuinely fantastical things along with her mental illness making them even weirder.

The psychologist Julian Jaynes famously proposed a theory in the 1970s that suggested before ~1000 BCE, humans did not have an internalized consciousness, that is to say their brains were compartmentalized into one section that spoke and another that obeyed. Schizophrenic behavior would therefore have been commonplace in the ancient world, as most or all people would have heard voices outside their own commanding them to do things, so it's not hard to imagine interpreting those voices as God or a pantheon of gods in the case of Norse mythology. It's easy to see the parallels between psychotic behavior and the mythological sort of thinking that gives us our folklore and religion. In this sense, Senua's mental illness is her way of ordering an unjust and cruel world into a purposeful quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the final gauntlet where Senua refuses to let her psychosis define who she is and suddenly becomes a death blender capable of one shotting basic enemies and fighting three bosses at once without breaking a sweat while beautiful music plays is one of my favourite video game experiences ever.

• Locked thread