Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Well that's.... a good run of cards.

It's almost like I expect one bad card due to law of averages but Gedo and Jado just don't care about that rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

could be making it up but i'm sure YTR does the RVD mannerisms because he beat him on one of the TNA/NJPW crossover shows somewhere between 05-07 maybe one of the tokyo dome shows, and then stole the gimmick and continued to use it for 10 years

e: ok 2011 and he lost but still stole it

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 21, 2017

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Man September 7th is a long time away.

On the plus side my NJPW withdrawal has led me to check out the archives a bit. The two recommended Vader matches I've watched so far were disappointing, but Liger vs. Sano was good and shockingly violent for what I expected in a jr. match from 1990.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I love that ZSJ has included Labour as his Faction affiliations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

I love that ZSJ has included Labour as his Faction affiliations.
ever since i heard him cut a promo on neo-liberalism, i was in love.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

handsome only face posted:

could be making it up but i'm sure YTR does the RVD mannerisms because he beat him on one of the TNA/NJPW crossover shows somewhere between 05-07 maybe one of the tokyo dome shows, and then stole the gimmick and continued to use it for 10 years

e: ok 2011 and he lost but still stole it

I hope YTR punched him in the dick at least.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Those cards feel a bit middling to me, only a couple exciting match ups per card.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's cool that my first live NJPW experience is gonna be Kenny defending the US belt against Juice and all, but part of me was hoping that Tana/ZSJ would be Kobe's main event just so I could be the one hapless foreigner in a ZSJ shirt surrounded by a sea of GO ACE

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
I really enjoy NJ's elimination matches so those cards have me steamed up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Johnny Landmine posted:

It's cool that my first live NJPW experience is gonna be Kenny defending the US belt against Juice and all, but part of me was hoping that Tana/ZSJ would be Kobe's main event just so I could be the one hapless foreigner in a ZSJ shirt surrounded by a sea of GO ACE

Be the only guy in the crowd wearing Juice merch.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gaz-L posted:

Be the only guy in the crowd wearing Juice merch.

Ew, no

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really hope that Taguchi Japan gets a clean sweep against those Suzukigun DORKS

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Thauros posted:

yep, I assumed Okada was gonna face EVIL there and they'd go back to having an IWGP title match on that tour. You'd think they'd want a non all gaijin title match on that show for additional support

So that would mean the Evil match is the only IWGP title defense left this year. Kind of surprised, but Okada's earned an easy schedule the back half of the year so it's fine. This is their soft off season now anyway.

As for the Kobe show, here's hoping for a good house but that seems like a tough sell. Juice has momentum and he's cool, but headlining a 6000 seat show? Seems quite early for that. Would be a major feather in his cap at this stage in the game if that somehow sold out though.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Suzuki and KUSHIDA are missing the Kobe show to work the ROH show. I think this is the first time Suzuki wrestles in the USA? I know he wrestled in the UK last year but I can't find any record of him wrestling in the US.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron Corbyn posted:

Suzuki and KUSHIDA are missing the Kobe show to work the ROH show. I think this is the first time Suzuki wrestles in the USA? I know he wrestled in the UK last year but I can't find any record of him wrestling in the US.

Is there a link to this anywhere? if it's on the East Coast I gotta buy tickets

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Minoru Suzuki heads to the US so he can bully Ken Shamrock some more. And maybe work a Ring of Fascism show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Is there a link to this anywhere? if it's on the East Coast I gotta buy tickets

It's in Las Vegas. For whatever reason, it's only been announced on the Japanese NJPW website, and not their English website or ROH's site.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

poo poo i didnt even know there was a roh show coming here

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

coconono posted:

Minoru Suzuki heads to the US so he can bully Ken Shamrock some more. And maybe work a Ring of Fascism show.

A Ring of What now?

Has Jim Cornette come back to Ring Of Honor?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gonzo McFee posted:

A Ring of What now?

ROH is Sinclair, and Sinclair is trying desperately to become State Media by locking down local news markets so they're ideologically compatible with Trump's strongman policies.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

No, he's in GFW

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
How long does it usually take NJPW World to divide up individual matches for their shows? It would make it easier for me to catch up on the G1 matches I missed.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jack Anderson posted:

How long does it usually take NJPW World to divide up individual matches for their shows? It would make it easier for me to catch up on the G1 matches I missed.

It's usually been quick in the past, so if they haven't done it yet, they might now. Usually you can go to the 1:30 or 1:45 point in the show and find the first block match of the night (he says, after doing that for almost all the G1 nights).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Taichi posted:

Hey REAL pro-wrestling fans! Taichi here to give you a hot scoop! Did you know that my Suzuki-Gun brother, TAKA Michinoku, and I have our own awesome pro-wrestling event every year?! That’s right, we’re on Season 2 already! You might’ve finished watching the finals of the G1 Climax and thought, “Well, that sucked! Suzuki shoulda won that! Well, now what?!” I’ll tell you “what”! TAKA & Taichi Productions Season 2, punks! August 28th at Shinjuku FACE!

This year’s main event sees us throw down against those lame rear end wannabe cholos from Los Ingobernables de Japon, Hiromu & BUSHI! But that’s not all: we got tons of talented wrestlers ready to show fans all over the world what real (that’s “HON MONO” in Japanese!) pro-wrestling is all about! You’ll bear witness to awesome female pro-wrestling talent, the totally insane (or is it insanely BADASS?!) Jun Kasai, a dinosaur and more! And in case you were wondering: OF COURSE The Boss, Suzuki Minoru, is gonna be there!

All pre-sale tickets are sold out (what did ya expect from legends like TAKA and me?!), but a limited number of standing room tickets will be made available on the day of the event for 4,000 yen. Suzuki-Gun fans only though, got it?! Just kidding, I’ll take any ol’ chump’s money!

Don’t worry if you can’t make it down to Tokyo though, cause the fine folks at NJPW World will be live streaming the whole event! Watch online ONLY on NJPW World, got it?! I don’t wanna see any unofficial streaming crap! And go ahead, yell “Go home Taichi!” all ya want…I won’t have to hear it this time, haha!

The event will be live-streaming on NJPW World! Sign up to watch http://njpwworld.com/

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I don't like taichi but the lameass wannabe cholos line is good

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of why I can't get as into Suzuki as a character as I'd like to is that I fundamentally can't respect a guy who chooses to hang out with Taichi on purpose

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Probably the same reason people hang out with Yujiro

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Can't for the life of me figure out why people are telling this guy to go away.

Giant Murderbaby
Dec 16, 2012

VJeff posted:

There is something repulsive about him, yet I can't quite put my finger on what exactly. I disliked him more than any wrestler on the NJPW roster before I knew about the "Taichi go home" chant.

EDIT: That promo for the event is making me warm up to him though.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

He bullied Hiromu >:[

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSLkiPpQRkc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So from the comments, he was showing him the Young Boy Tights to remind him of back in his Young Boy days when Taichi used to make his life a living hell?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Giant Murderbaby posted:

There is something repulsive about him, yet I can't quite put my finger on what exactly. I disliked him more than any wrestler on the NJPW roster before I knew about the "Taichi go home" chant.

I think it's the soft, kind of doughy look of his face.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

I think a lot of why I can't get as into Suzuki as a character as I'd like to is that I fundamentally can't respect a guy who chooses to hang out with Taichi on purpose

his character is "the man with the worst personality in the world", that's definitely a moniker I'd attach to someone who'd call Taichi their friend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

So from the comments, he was showing him the Young Boy Tights to remind him of back in his Young Boy days when Taichi used to make his life a living hell?

I'm not sure what Hiromu was singing in the beginning, but think back to the G1 Finals when Taichi had his full pop star-ish entrance - it reminds me of that, plus the next day was/is the Hiromu vs Taichi match.

And then Taichi pulls out the young boy tights and "bullied" isn't quite the right word. Looks like Hiromu got two barrels of PTSD from that - he's sitting down going "NO NO NO STOP STOP STOP IT NOW!!!" basically. Almost unnerving to be honest.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Hiromu is definitely singing Taichi's theme, or at least to the tune of it. I don't know Japanese to say it's the same lyrics.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jenny Angel posted:

The combo of TAKA and Taichi is best kept in front of you. Devious motherfuckers.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

It's like ZSJ says, the best part of being in Suzukigun is never having to wrestle against Taichi.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's like ZSJ says, the best part of being in Suzukigun is never having to wrestle against Taichi.

Yeah, but, a match with Taichi lasts maybe 10 minutes. Being allied with him means you have to hang out with him the entire 3- to 5-hour show.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Germansimp posted:

Yeah, but, a match with Taichi lasts maybe 10 minutes. Being allied with him means you have to hang out with him the entire 3- to 5-hour show.

someone's gotta fetch the beer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Germansimp posted:

The only person I see hanging out with Taichi regularly on social media is Kanemaru. Which probably explains the bottle of whisky he's constantly taking swigs of to maintain his sanity.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/901157376320876544

Who's even going to be in this tournament?

• Locked thread