Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I get the add-on stuff at least, like I'm sure as heck never going to pay for Viveport unless it gets a lot better, and I don't think they're getting kick backs on software sales from Valve, so after giving them my $800 for the HMD they haven't seen a dime from me. That's why the Vive is more expensive than the Rift in the first place, of course. If they want to try to introduce a bunch of add-ons in an attempt to get a continuing revenue stream from Vive havers then I'm okay with that as long as they're good, and the DAS and trackers both seem like they are (still haven't bought either though if that says anything).

Their customer service is loving atrocious though that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
So after contacting Vrcover and sending photos. It has been determined there's yet another version which has slightly different mounting something or another same with the pads. Guess mines old or something. I have no idea. Kick rear end support though.

So those should be here sometime in a month. Very cool they are just firing off a different version.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EbolaIvory posted:

So after contacting Vrcover and sending photos. It has been determined there's yet another version which has slightly different mounting something or another same with the pads. Guess mines old or something. I have no idea. Kick rear end support though.

So those should be here sometime in a month. Very cool they are just firing off a different version.

...They mixed up their product and are taking a month to fix it for you?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PerrineClostermann posted:

...They mixed up their product and are taking a month to fix it for you?

Haha no. It's just coming from overseas and it'll most likely take 14 days. I'm just being a dick about slow rear end shipping.

They replied super fast. So far supports really good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
So I just set my vive satellite stations up again after a long time, but I don't have the space for room scale right now, so I'm looking into seated and standing stuff. Thumper is great, and House of the Dying Sun is ok I guess. Distance is not marked as a VR game though it has a VR mode, but that thing is barf city.

Are there any games recommended for seated or standing play?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rez you can play either way

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Elite dangerous or any of the vr compatible driving sims (if you have a wheel and pedals)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Any of the walking sim/adventure games are good, though not as cool as when you have some roomscale to walk around.

Obduction, Wilson's Heart, Scanner Sombre, Solus Project, The Gallery, etc.

The older Oculus controller only game are also a good fit - Chronos and Edge of Nowhere are truly great games.

In fact, I'll talk up Scanner Sombre again in this thread, it's really one of my favourite experiences in VR. Incredibly atmospheric and immersive, and the ending is really something special that I don't know I would have gotten nearly the same experience out of in flat mode. Highly recommend playing through the whole thing in one sitting for full effect.. the very end, where you finally get out of the cave only to realize that your body is still at the bottom, watching the surface be slowly pulled away from you, going back through the caves you yourself have mapped dot by dot, realizing that this guy will never be with his family again, getting back to your tent and just... sitting down quietly and looking out into the cave system through the open flaps.. feeling very alone.. wow. Really cool stuff.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

duckfarts posted:

Are there any games recommended for seated or standing play?

People seem to like VTOL VR and Thumper, I enjoyed a couple of hours of Landfall when it had a free weekend, on the Rift side there is Chronos.

I've been enjoying Pavlov and it doesn't take too much space since it uses trackpad locomotion.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 23, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

There are no games but Echo Arena.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fooz posted:

There are no games but Echo Arena.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pavlov is pretty good

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://humblebundle.com just put up a new bundle that includes Alien Isolation for $6.66

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Stick100 posted:

People seem to like VTOL VR and Thumper, I enjoyed a couple of hours of Landfall when it had a free weekend, on the Rift side there is Chronos.

I've been enjoying Pavlov and it doesn't take too much space since it uses trackpad locomotion.

VTOL VR is really good if you like semi-realistic flight sims. It has a clickable cockpit, but it's simple enough that you don't need to study a manual to learn using it. Complexity-wise it feels a lot like old DOS flightsims, except you don't have to memorize any keyboard hotkeys, and you can get into the action pretty quickly. There isn't that much content out for it yet though, only 5 story missions and some tutorials and target range maps.

Also it's fully controllable with the Vive controllers and it works really well. You can rest the controllers on your lap while gripping the controls, so you don't have to keep your arms suspended in the air.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Rectus posted:

VTOL VR is really good if you like semi-realistic flight sims. It has a clickable cockpit, but it's simple enough that you don't need to study a manual to learn using it. Complexity-wise it feels a lot like old DOS flightsims, except you don't have to memorize any keyboard hotkeys, and you can get into the action pretty quickly. There isn't that much content out for it yet though, only 5 story missions and some tutorials and target range maps.

Also it's fully controllable with the Vive controllers and it works really well. You can rest the controllers on your lap while gripping the controls, so you don't have to keep your arms suspended in the air.

Isn't there a joystick emulator out there that lets you emulate a joystick with your Vive wands and then use it on flight sims that don't support the motion controllers and have them work similar to how VTOL works?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really hope everyone that loves Echo Arena so much is also purchasing Lone Echo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

iceaim posted:

Isn't there a joystick emulator out there that lets you emulate a joystick with your Vive wands and then use it on flight sims that don't support the motion controllers and have them work similar to how VTOL works?

Flyinside works like this with oculus touch controls.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

I really hope everyone that loves Echo Arena so much is also purchasing Lone Echo.

Hell yeah Lone Echo is great

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Hell yeah Lone Echo is great

I'm really taking my time with it. Met Atlas last weekend, thinking I'm pretty close to the end. Hoping the ship's origin isn't as obvious as it seems to be.

I love being a high as poo poo space robot. its the best.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

I love being a high as poo poo space robot. its the best.

Sold.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
DOOM 3 BFG Edition is £3.74 on STEAM, meaning there's no excuse not to get it and try out the amazing VR mod for it. . I never liked DOOM 3 that much when I first played it because I was a scardey cat little teenager and then later on realised it was pretty mediocre once I got past the 2spookiness of it, but as a VR title it's absolutely awesome and feels like it was intended to be played that way all along. It's really, really good and you can count it as a full-length game with high production values, something that's fairly rare on the market especially for its ridiculously low pricepoint.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Songbearer posted:

DOOM 3 BFG Edition is £3.74 on STEAM, meaning there's no excuse not to get it and try out the amazing VR mod for it. . I never liked DOOM 3 that much when I first played it because I was a scardey cat little teenager and then later on realised it was pretty mediocre once I got past the 2spookiness of it, but as a VR title it's absolutely awesome and feels like it was intended to be played that way all along. It's really, really good and you can count it as a full-length game with high production values, something that's fairly rare on the market especially for its ridiculously low pricepoint.

people need to be warned to get a savegame or something that skips the entire intro, it made me sick as poo poo with all it's stupid cutscenes. and it was only partially the horrible camera movements, mostly it was the terrible, terrible plot.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Chadzok posted:

people need to be warned to get a savegame or something that skips the entire intro, it made me sick as poo poo with all it's stupid cutscenes. and it was only partially the horrible camera movements, mostly it was the terrible, terrible plot.

Close your eyes through it or just get up and grab a snack/drink until it's finished if you can't skip it? :confused:

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Atomizer posted:

Close your eyes through it or just get up and grab a snack/drink until it's finished if you can't skip it? :confused:

it requires you to walk through it all

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chadzok posted:

it requires you to walk through it all

No it doesn't? You just start the game, and then it proceeds. Once you are in the game, you play as normal. Cutscenes are entirely independent of any action by you unless you have Flicksync on.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Ok, maybe I was doing it wrong. Whenever I walked into an area with a cutscene my 'head' left my body and became the camera flying around watching all the bullshit unfold.
I seem to remember the menu being pretty shoddy as well. By the time I got to having a gun and a torch I was so ill I just gave up on it. Maybe there's been updates since then, I'll give it another shot.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah, use the mod in my post. I think there was an older version that was a lot jankier, this one is really fully featured with a bunch of comfort settings. It's actually one of the most comprehensive VR games I've seen when it comes to giving player options - Sairento is doing incredibly well on that front too.

They just added backflips which look and sound like they'd super gently caress you up but instead are just really awesome. I gotta say, after 12 hours I think this game has easily the best locomotion out of any VR game I've played. Wallruns, triple jumps, slides, backflips, slow motion on demand, it all works incredibly well. I've made a quick video where I run through a couple rooms - sound warning though because I think my volume is a little too high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7Lg8-ggGJA

Really love the ability to quickly flip melee weapons over.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo that's the best thing I've seen in years. They've really come along with the updates, I mean drat

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Chadzok posted:

Ok, maybe I was doing it wrong. Whenever I walked into an area with a cutscene my 'head' left my body and became the camera flying around watching all the bullshit unfold.
I seem to remember the menu being pretty shoddy as well. By the time I got to having a gun and a torch I was so ill I just gave up on it. Maybe there's been updates since then, I'll give it another shot.

Yeah, your viewpoint moves. But you don't need to do anything in the cutscenes so just shut your eyes if its an issue.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I just got through with my first Oculus Rift session, and FUUUUUUCKKKKK.... :fap:

But let's go back to the beginning, shall we? First, I started to set it up on my 1070: 3x DP, 1x HDMI, 1x DVI. I had two monitors already connected, 1 HDMI-HDMI and 1 DP-HDMI, so I unplugged the former and got another DP-HDMI cable, then connected the Rift. When I booted, that one monitor I reconnected, an Ultrawide with a native resolution of 2560x1080 was only showing up as FHD in Windows. As it turns out, all the DP-HDMI cables I have, and all that I could find only support FHD as the maximum resolution; as mentioned there's only the one HDMI port and the Rift needs it, and neither monitor has DP, so I was banging my head against the wall at this point. I ended up digging up one of those DVI-HDMI adapters, and that solved the problem. A half-hour wasted already!

Next, I tried to hunt for USB controller driver updates, because the Rift compatibility utility reported an incompatibility. Apparently Oculus doesn't quite understand the "U" in "USB" stands for "Universal" so any ports meeting the minimum version of the spec should be fine, but in the end it was all irrelevant as the Rift works fine. Another half-hour or so dicking around with this!

Next was the software installation and setup. I got to the sensor setup/calibration part and ended up wanting to throw those goddamn things against the wall; too close, too far, not centered enough, etc. I still don't know what the gently caress the software wanted me to do, because I ended up skipping that part and it works fine. Maybe another half hour spent here? I also spent some time installing SteamVR.

Now I get to wear the HMD for the first time! It didn't take that long to finally get it on, but I struggled to get it fitted with my eyeglasses on, and it barely fits. The only downside is that the by the end of the session, the Rift lenses got some skin oil on them from my eyebrows due to being pressed against my face. That's not exactly easy to get off and to get super clean if they only want me to use a microfiber cloth and no liquid cleaners whatsoever. (I think it's weird I can't even use lens cleaner that would otherwise be fine for eyeglasses and camera lenses. :shrug:)

Finally...it's alive! That intro environment, the workshop with the robot was loving awesome! It took a short while getting used to grasping things, and also not hitting the wall or the desk/monitor in front of me, but that was a fantastic intro to VR! Then, I configured my avatar thing and browsed for some software. The first thing I ended up installing was Google Earth for some reason (while browsing for games) and even though I've used it before, it was so much more, well, immersive! I visited my house, landmarks, cities, etc. Even though it was only loving Google Earth it was incredible! Even after ending the session, just sitting here typing this on my Chromebook I still feel detached, like my hands are floating and so is the display. I'm sure I'll return to normal soon.... :stare:

Now I guess I have to find some actual games to play in VR! :v: I have Elite Dangerous, which I've only played once or twice, so I might see how that goes in VR. I tried Minecraft, which I never really liked in the first place. I played the regular SuperHot, (which I highly recommend either way, btw) so I'll probably try that although it looks like I have to buy the VR version separately. :/ I'll also probably get Killing Floor and Eve, because I have experience with both of those IPs. Then I'd really like to investigate VorpX and try to get some regular games running if possible.

Am I missing anything else? Is there a way to use the Rift for other general-purpose stuff? Just navigating my desktop, watching regular videos, etc.? What about 3D videos?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just a reminder, you can ignore most warnings about sensor placement by hitting next. It's the only way to use 2 sensors in 360, or 4 sensors at all.

Also, check out Robo Recall (be sure to set it to 360 mode if you have such a setup). When you get used to VR, Pavlov is pretty great

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Atomizer posted:

Apparently Oculus doesn't quite understand the "U" in "USB" stands for "Universal" so any ports meeting the minimum version of the spec should be fine, but in the end it was all irrelevant as the Rift works fine. Another half-hour or so dicking around with this!

In all fairness to Oculus, it's not their fault the USB chipsets behind those ports that aren't hitting the min. spec.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Then I'd really like to investigate VorpX and try to get some regular games running if possible.

VorpX is really fun for New Vegas, Dishonoured, and Resident Evil 7. Resident Evil 7 on PC is pretty much has VR as good as the PSVR version when paired with VorpX.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Atomizer posted:

Now I guess I have to find some actual games to play in VR! :v: I have Elite Dangerous, which I've only played once or twice, so I might see how that goes in VR.
It is one of the best games in VR, in my opinion. It adds a ton to the experience.

Atomizer posted:

I played the regular SuperHot, (which I highly recommend either way, btw) so I'll probably try that although it looks like I have to buy the VR version separately. :/
SUPERHOT VR is an entirely separate game from the original. Don't feel like you are just buying the same version again, but in VR.

Atomizer posted:

Am I missing anything else? Is there a way to use the Rift for other general-purpose stuff? Just navigating my desktop, watching regular videos, etc.? What about 3D videos?
Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop are the big two for navigating your desktop and stuff. Bigscreen has less options, but lets you screen share with a bunch of people in a virtual room.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm just happy everything worked despite any warnings or potential incompatibilities. I can't wait for my next session, which won't be for a few days.

I guess I'm fortunate that my >4-year-old PC (upgraded) has a compatible USB controller despite not being recognized as such.

I checked out the compatibility for VorpX; there's actually a ton of stuff there that looks like it works, I already own, and should be pretty fun. CoD, Battlefield, Bioshock, Borderlands, Crysis, Dead Space, Deus Ex, Mass Effect, Metro, Portal, Payday 2. Then there's Duke Nukem Forever :stare: and Alien Isolation, the latter of which I started a while back and may or may not be too loving freaky to play in VR. :ohdear:

Nalin posted:

It is one of the best games in VR, in my opinion. It adds a ton to the experience.

SUPERHOT VR is an entirely separate game from the original. Don't feel like you are just buying the same version again, but in VR.

Bigscreen and Virtual Desktop are the big two for navigating your desktop and stuff. Bigscreen has less options, but lets you screen share with a bunch of people in a virtual room.

I'll give Elite a shot, but from what I experienced the first time I played, there's a ton to learn (and then remember) and I'm afraid I won't be able to devote much time to this game. I'm glad Superhot VR is actually a new experience. I installed (but didn't try) Bigscreen on Steam, but I'll have to check out Virtual Desktop.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Elite Dangerous is a mile wide and an inch deep. Some people like it, but I don't think it's particularly complex

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

My friend helped me out with Elite the first time, and there were a lot of menus and steps to go through just to do things like launch the drat ship, and then to land it, not to mention the nuances of combat and learning ships and equipment. I'd have to learn it all over again, and probably wouldn't be able to stay with it to keep familiar with how to play, but I digress.

I forgot to ask, how are the Oculus Earphones the IEM replacements for the stock on-ear monitors? The former are generally what I'd prefer between the two options, although I'll see if something like my A50s fit over the HMD maybe.

Is the Oculus Remote useful? It wasn't included in the Oculus + Touch package I got from Amazon, and it's probably deprecated now that Touch is standard.

Also on that note, is there any point in connecting a controller (that I already have?) I know the Rift used to come with an Xbox controller before Touch came out, but now is there anything I'd need a real controller for (and I have an Xbox, PS4, and Steam controller if necessary) or can Touch do everything?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Atomizer posted:

I forgot to ask, how are the Oculus Earphones the IEM replacements for the stock on-ear monitors? The former are generally what I'd prefer between the two options, although I'll see if something like my A50s fit over the HMD maybe.

Is the Oculus Remote useful? It wasn't included in the Oculus + Touch package I got from Amazon, and it's probably deprecated now that Touch is standard.

Also on that note, is there any point in connecting a controller (that I already have?) I know the Rift used to come with an Xbox controller before Touch came out, but now is there anything I'd need a real controller for (and I have an Xbox, PS4, and Steam controller if necessary) or can Touch do everything?

The earphones are good, although I found myself often forgetting they were in my ears when I took the headset off.

The Oculus Remote isn't very useful anymore. I guess they figured it would allow people to easily port GearVR games over, but nobody really did that. I've very rarely ever used it.

If you want to play a controller game, there is a good chance you will be required to connect a controller. The Touch controllers CAN be used as a control device, but because of differences between the controllers, games have to explicitly allow it. The Touch controllers don't have enough buttons to emulate the d-pad, so devs have to choose between a few different emulation options. Plus, the X/Y buttons are on the same hand as the left stick, so that may pose significant gameplay problems. There is also the restriction that it only works through the Oculus SDK, so any Steam game that provides Oculus support through SteamVR won't work.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 24, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Atomizer posted:

Now I guess I have to find some actual games to play in VR! :v: I have Elite Dangerous, which I've only played once or twice, so I might see how that goes in VR. I tried Minecraft, which I never really liked in the first place. I played the regular SuperHot, (which I highly recommend either way, btw) so I'll probably try that although it looks like I have to buy the VR version separately. :/ I'll also probably get Killing Floor and Eve, because I have experience with both of those IPs. Then I'd really like to investigate VorpX and try to get some regular games running if possible.

Lone Echo is one I'm quick to recommend. Its not an action game, theres no guns or anything (though it does require dexterity and agility in a lot of parts), but its a pretty amazing experience all around. Robo Recall is another stand out, and something you got free as well so check that out, its like being put inside the craziest 90's lightgun arcade game ever made. The Lab is another cool and free experience to check out, and if you like shooters, someone else mentioned pavlov (which is fun), and also onward is recommended a lot. If you're looking for a more traditional experience that you can just sit down and play, check out Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, and Lucky's Tale (this last one is free as well).

It was already mentioned that you had it, but bigscreen is exactly what you want. They have theater environments that are the best way to watch 3d movies, and the key thing is its also multiplayer so you can hang out with 3 other people watching movies, someone playing a game, or whatever. As much as I like virtual desktop, I have a hard time recommending it with bigscreen being free. It doesn't exactly do a lot more that bigscreen doesn't for its cost.

Atomizer posted:

If you want to use your own headphones theres a little plastic tool (or, well, any screwdriver the right size would probably work) included with the box that unscrews the headphones so they can be removed, and then you can just wear your own. I find it a lot nicer having something stable connected to you than throwing on headphones, but you can certainly do it if you want. I've never tried the in ear replacements they've sold, but when I have heard them talked about people seemed to really like them :shrug:

Atomizer posted:

The remote doesn't do anything the touch controller can't do. Its basically a d pad + A button, + oculus button + volume up/down and thats it. But all of that is on the right touch controller anyways, and you can adjust volume right from the oculus pop up menu. As far as the Xbox pad, the majority of games that used it have been adapted, or can straight up be played with touch acting as a gamepad, but a few games that really use all the buttons like Chronos, Edge of Nowhere, Eve Valkyrie and probably a few others do need a gamepad still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
The Remote is super, super useful if you have a significant other. I showed my partner where it was and showed her the Oculus button and now instead of risking getting punched in the face by me she can find the remote and safely bring me to the home screen.