Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
From the ashes, we rise

Twelve years ago, the mighty school known as Hogwarts was devastated by a battle the likes of which has not been seen in centuries. Evil sorcerors, persecuting good witches and wizards, politicians, teenagers and children, and thirsting for power at any cost (at least as long as the cost was to someone else anyway!)
Hogwarts, along with the rest of the wizarding world, seared away part of itself that day – cauterising the wounds of war, strife, thirst for power, and the resentment of craven wizards being thwarted at every turn.
But life moves on. Wizards slowly resurface, families are brave enough to resume a normal life, and children are born. And it is for these children, born to magic and majesty and the promise of the future, that Hogwarts was rebuilt. Voldemort, Death Eaters, these names are once again slowly fading away. And that’s how it’s going to stay.

The present...
Finally, after twelve long years since Hogwarts was scarred, the dawn once again touches the venerable home of centuries of England’s budding witches and wizards. A dozen, dozen months of tireless work from a good many strong witches and wizards has led to this day. They have mended the frayed ties between communities riven apart; cried with friends and loved ones from the death, fear and paranoia that gripped the world. And eventually, placing stone on stone (via handy spells of course!) to rebuild homes, and Hogwarts itself.
For today, Hogwarts is open once again, and the makeshift homeschooling once approved by the Ministry of Magic for the interim has been revoked for all new students. It’s time for a new generation of witches and wizards. Fresh young faces, full of wonder and excitement at being able to experience the magic, mystery and camaraderie that is always present within Hogwarts’ grounds.

You disembark the Hogwarts Express, and enter the great hall along with 28 other plucky children. Adults – your four Professors – usher you into the great hall, and the first Sorting in a dozen years begins.
Name after name is called, and the children are sorted into houses. The Sorting hat splutters along, joking with the younguns and putting them at ease as their life is about to be focused into education. Fun too, but most of all shaping the next generation of wizards to become the best they can be, and freeing their spirits to dream.

Professors:
Professor King Burgundy – teaching Defence against the Dark Arts; Transfigurations
Professor Ernie VivaNova– teaching Herbology; Potions
Professor AnAnonymousIdiot – teaching Charms; Astrology
Professor Podima – teaching History of Magic; Care of Magical Creatures

Students
Gryffindor
Grandicap
chaoslord
Covok
redneck nazgul
CCKeane
Quidthulthu
Bowmore

Slytherin
DuckHuntDog
Eponymous
KhediveRex
Mordiceius
Murmur Twin
Tobbs Gnawed
The Lord of Hats

Hufflepuff
Alasdair
Asssna
bahamut
FewtureMD
MinutePirateBug
wheredashimapansat
xiw

Ravenclaw
Hal Incandenza
Meinberg
peramene
PMush Perfect
Radio!
The Ninth Layer
Tommunist

Rules thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830731
Discord invite to the Hogwarts Express for players and spectators. PM me there to get approved. https://discord.gg/aCktKVS

busb fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
The House Cup
Students are competing for the House Cup – success at learning, examinations and Quidditch (as well as outstanding efforts and feats) will mean one House will be victorious above all! Which House will work best together to be the best First Years of New Hogwarts?

Current standings:
Slytherin: 585
Gryffindor: 505
Ravenclaw: 375
Hufflepuff: 355

Quidditch Cup:
[The Quidditch formula is Effort * (Bravery + Flying) + current HP]

pre:
		W	L	D	P
Gryffindor: 	5 	1		15
Hufflepuff: 	4	2		12
Slytherin: 	3	3		9
Ravenclaw:  		6		0
Quidditch schedule:
pre:
		Month
Gryffindor: 	1		3		5		7			10	11	
Slytherin:  	1			4		6		8	9		11	
Hufflepuff: 		2 	3			6		8		10		12
Ravenclaw: 		2		4	5		7		9			12

busb fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 7, 2017

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

:siren: Month 1 of Term begins now! :siren:
Students wishing to participate in these events must allocate Effort for the month.

(d10=4) Event 1: POTIONS - Group Challenge
During class, Professor Ernie tasks each house with brewing a Cure for Pustules Potion!
This event will test your house's Cunning, Pureblooded background, and Studiousness and Potions (of which nobody has any yet)
(Effort x Cunning) + 2points for speciality + Potions skill. All of a House's contributions are added together - this is not an Individual Challenge
The winning house receives +20 points.

D10=9 Event 2 – DUEL *special*
A minor tiff over who gets to eat the first warm croissant at breakfast breaks out between Meinburg and CCKeane, Slytherin, believing that CCKeane was well within his rights to eat the first croissant can offer assistance in the duel. Hufflepuff despise this clumsy powergrab by CCKeane, and offer Meinberg their own surreptitious assistance in the duel.

This duel is between CCKeane and Meinberg. The winner of the duel will permanently receive a boost to 1 stat of their choice.
This event will test your Bravery, Cunning and Duellist background

This event tests the two duellists’: Effort * (Bravery + Cunning) +4 for Duellist .
Anyone else may assist the duellists in secret with (Effort+Cunning), which will be added to the duellist’s score.

If CCKeane wins, Gryffindor and Slytherin will receive +20 points.
If Meinberg wins, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff will receive +20 points.
If it is a tie, every house receives +10 points, but there is no duellist bonus awarded.

Professors are also now able to publicly send students to detention for bad behaviour, or reward Houses with points for good behaviour!

Have a safe school month everyone!

busb fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 22, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

:munch:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
By rights, that croissant belongs to all of us! Keane's consistent evil in this fashion is not to be approved of, lest he become yet another tinpot tyrant parading about without any fear of opposition. But worry not, my friends, I have the strength to defeat our most perfidious foe, the courage and the insight needed to triumph in this duel. All I need to be certain of victory is the assistance of the good people of Hogwarts. Stand with me, and oppose the evils that Keane represent. Stand with me, and bring glory to all of your names.

Stand with me, and free the croissant!

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
keane blows TBH

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
To clarify how i would like things submitted:

Ideally, this thread is used for formal discussions about events, special actions, and other challenges that may present.

For Effort allocation, preferably:
1) One member from each House is responsible for PMing me all Effort allocations for that house
2) Individual members can PM me Effort if they wish to change their Effort on a last minute/case basis
3) Do NOT submit it in public either in Discord or here. Well you can if you want to lie or trick people i guess, but i won't take that as a formal allocation.

Typically you can say whatever you want in public, but for me to take it as a formal action i need it PMed (eg galleon transfers), or said in this thread publically with the relevant action (eg ##Detention Birbstrike)

busb fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Aug 22, 2017

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are these the only events for this month?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

No summer break eh?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Quidditch Round 1
[The Quidditch formula is: Effort * (Bravery + Flying) + current HP]

vs

Lions against the snakes, who will win this seasons opening game? Cheer your house on!

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Meinberg posted:

By rights, that croissant belongs to all of us! Keane's consistent evil in this fashion is not to be approved of, lest he become yet another tinpot tyrant parading about without any fear of opposition. But worry not, my friends, I have the strength to defeat our most perfidious foe, the courage and the insight needed to triumph in this duel. All I need to be certain of victory is the assistance of the good people of Hogwarts. Stand with me, and oppose the evils that Keane represent. Stand with me, and bring glory to all of your names.

Stand with me, and free the croissant!

I am not interested a single bite of someone else's croissant, thank you. Especially when you are getting it all cold by tearing it into shreds. It is not even the only croissant! There are other perfectly good by English standards croissants to eat! You say this is for égalité, but really what you are saying is that if you cannot 'ave the 'appiness from that first croissant, nobody can. Grab the second croissant and enjoy it, do not rip the pastry from Keane's 'ands.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm currently thinking of setting a deadline 48 hours from now for Month 1.

But i'm unsure how long this first turn will take for people to work out strategies so i'm happy to make it longer for this first one if people wish.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Should anyone require an explanation and/or a refresher on the rules of Quidditch, I'll be in the Library after classes and on weekends. Should any Hufflepuffs wish to buddy-up for friendly practicing, ditto.

It seems little surprise that Barius found himself in crosshairs over a drat pastry.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What if we can't get word from everyone in time? Do the people who don't just default to resting? Or studying? Or whatever? 72 hours feels like a kinda short time, but I guess it's kinda like the timeframe for a big Mafia game.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

PMush Perfect posted:

What if we can't get word from everyone in time? Do the people who don't just default to resting? Or studying? Or whatever? 72 hours feels like a kinda short time, but I guess it's kinda like the timeframe for a big Mafia game.

i'm happy for one person in each house to be 'nominated' as Effort Submitter, so if people are absent they can still contribute. But yes if common feeling is that is too short for a month cycle then i'm happy to make it a bit longer.

It's going to take quite some time my end to process a month. and i don't want a month cycle to take longer than a week - or we'll still be playing this game in 3 months time!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Gryffindor can suck it!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Mordiceius posted:

Gryffindor can suck it!

Ravenclaw are nerds!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Covok posted:

Ravenclaw are nerds!
I don't even know what house you're in, but it sucks!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't even know what house you're in, but it sucks!

Oh wait, Mordeius is Slytherin... Slytherin is a house of dark wizards! Don't forget he who shall not be named came from there! Shame! Shame!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You can say Voldemort, you know.

Voldemort, Voldemort, Voldy Voldy Voldemort.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Covok posted:

Oh wait, Mordeius is Slytherin... Slytherin is a house of dark wizards! Don't forget he who shall not be named came from there! Shame! Shame!

Look Slytherin is just a house full of ambitious wizards who go on to do great things, and every house has a dark past. Slytherin did nothing wrong, y'all.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Slytherin is going to Make Hogwarts Great Again.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Yes, the House with the most pureblooded members of any other House is going to support the most vulgar and new-Galleon-desperately-trying-to-be-old-Galleon politician in recent memory. :rolleyes:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Slytherin is going to Make Hogwarts Great Again.

Personally, I voted for McGonagel as new headmaster.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Tinkers with a strange contraption
Huh what? is someone disparaging me? let me just fix this silly thing in peace

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

busb posted:

Tinkers with a strange contraption
Huh what? is someone disparaging me? let me just fix this silly thing in peace

god ur lame

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Covok posted:

:ohdear:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
more like dank wizards

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

D10=9 Event 2 – DUEL *special*
A minor tiff over who gets to eat the first warm croissant at breakfast breaks out between Meinberg and CCKeane, Slytherin, believing that CCKeane was well within his rights to eat the first croissant can offer assistance in the duel. Hufflepuff despise this clumsy powergrab by CCKeane, and offer Meinberg their own surreptitious assistance in the duel.

Let's make this one a bit more interesting, shall we?

I am now accepting bets (in 5-Galleon increments!) on the outcome of this duel!

Please let me know in the West Wing (Room 23B) if you'd like to place a wager. After the duel ends, the pool (minus half a Galleon for every 5 bet, rounded up) will be divided between the winners based on their bets.

Good luck, one and all!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima posted:

Let's make this one a bit more interesting, shall we?

Please let me know in the West Wing (Room 23B) if you'd like to place a wager. After the duel ends, the pool (minus half a Galleon for every 5 bet, rounded up) will be divided between the winners based on their bets.

Good luck, one and all!

Dude, that's a 10% house cut. That's an absurd margin of profit. The house rake is usually less than 1%.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Grandicap posted:

Dude, that's a 10% house cut. That's an absurd margin of profit. The house rake is usually less than 1%.

And by dude, I mean Professor Dude. No disrespect meant.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Can't do fractional Galleons (I checked) so that's really the best I can do while keeping the barrier to entry as low as possible, I'm afraid to say. :( Also I plan to use the 'profits' to reward students' future hard work, so.... distinguish yourself!

(Not to be flip, but I did give it some thought before deciding on this approach so that people can participate even if they don't have as many Galleons as others.)

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Podima posted:

Can't do fractional Galleons (I checked) so that's really the best I can do while keeping the barrier to entry as low as possible, I'm afraid to say. :( Also I plan to use the 'profits' to reward students' future hard work, so.... distinguish yourself!

(Not to be flip, but I did give it some thought before deciding on this approach so that people can participate even if they don't have as many Galleons as others.)

Well, its a better payout than scratchoffs.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I was always told that gambling is bad and I shouldn't do it :ohdear:

(:j:)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grandicap posted:

Grandicap posted:

And by dude, I mean Professor Dude. No disrespect meant.

Credit where due to Grandicap for this well-reasoned feedback, once again. I had a good think this afternoon and have updated the betting pool rules accordingly to increase everyone's potential winnings:

quote:

Please let me know in the West Wing (Room 23B) if you'd like to place a wager. After the duel ends, the pool (minus 5%) will be divided between the winners based on their bets.

Good luck, one and all!

Grandicap, look out for a token of gratitude from me via owl later today. To the rest of you, take this as a lesson - nobody is above occasional questioning, not even your professors... as long as it's delivered with respect! Continue to excel, and your efforts will be rewarded.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

And here I thought Hogwarts was going to be just stuffy classes and dusty libraries. But gambling? That's a vice I can get behind!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Wait until you see the "special" room of the Slytherin Dungeon.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
That room is restricted! No first years allowed!

Also Asiina has been replaced by Kashuno

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is it where you all shove the sticks up each other's bums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

PMush Perfect posted:

Is it where you all shove the sticks up each other's bums?

Is that what happened to asiina? :ohdear:

• Locked thread