Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I can't find sleet wheat on my asteroid and all my dupes have been eating fried mush for cycles and cycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Bhodi posted:

I can't find sleet wheat on my asteroid and all my dupes have been eating fried mush for cycles and cycles
Its in the ice biome.

Got my pincha pepper farm started. Went horizontal because the lack of space north. Its easier than bristle blossom.

temple fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 25, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Only just got this. Seems like the key to a properly sustainable colony is finding a geyser for infinite water, because otherwise it's a struggle to keep up, but with water I can have both liquids and oxygen generation thanks to electrolysis. Though I notice that converting algae from slime also results in some polluted water, so I guess if I strain that out and purify it I could get some extra water that way too.

Chlorine gas currently has no use and just kills you right now, right? Hmm.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It’s the only way to make hand sanitizer which is not really important right now but the germ update coming up might make it more useful

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Dogen posted:

It’s the only way to make hand sanitizer which is not really important right now but the germ update coming up might make it more useful

That's bleachstone, not the gas. Unless bleachstone is just frozen chlorine but I don't believe it is

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Chlorine is harmless though it is unbreathable.

Hand sanitizer uses bleach stone which produces chlorine. It's counterproductive because dupes rarely think to use it, showers remove the dirty hands debuff (along with other negative effects), and it leaks chlorine gas into your base. Bleach stone comes in small quantities as well and not worth the effort. Even the devs criticize hand sanitizer and say that no one should use it atm.

Finished pp farm.

2pumps1geyser.jpg

This geyser was overcapacity. I've tried everything and this is the best solution. The solution I'm most proud of lol. It pumps to a back-up water basin.

In case you missed it....

temple fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 25, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just build your reservoir higher such that when the water gets too high the geyser stops producing.

Mine usually don’t get too high, I have one that supplies most of the electrolyzers and another that goes through a cooling system and refills the water reservoir at the bottom of the base and those uses seem to keep each one relatively empty.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

temple posted:

Chlorine is harmless though it is unbreathable.

Hand sanitizer uses bleach stone which produces chlorine. It's counterproductive because dupes rarely think to use it, showers remove the dirty hands debuff (along with other negative effects), and it leaks chlorine gas into your base. Bleach stone comes in small quantities as well and not worth the effort. Even the devs criticize hand sanitizer and say that no one should use it atm.

It's not so much that they rarely think to use it, it's that they specifically only use it before they eat. Meaning that if they've already showered by that point, they won't use the hand sanitizer because it's redundant, and any other time they just ignore it as an option.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I'm trying a modular base concept now. Going to have a kitchen area and "hospital" in the starting biome, then make these little bases in important areas. 4 dupes per base. This is the slime biome where I'm growing pincha peppers because its so far from my starting base. I'm also working with the mechanized doors because the next update will add those controls on all doors. Don't see anything good with them. I probably have to rewire the temp switch in the middle.

Dogen posted:

Just build your reservoir higher such that when the water gets too high the geyser stops producing.

Mine usually don’t get too high, I have one that supplies most of the electrolyzers and another that goes through a cooling system and refills the water reservoir at the bottom of the base and those uses seem to keep each one relatively empty.
That's a good suggestion and end game once my reservoir fills. I needed extra water for all the bristle blossom plants but one geyser seems to drain while this one doesn't. Plumbing is probably one of the hardest things for me to deal with in game. I wish they had large pipes for backbone infrastructure.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's not so much that they rarely think to use it, it's that they specifically only use it before they eat. Meaning that if they've already showered by that point, they won't use the hand sanitizer because it's redundant, and any other time they just ignore it as an option.
I didn't think of that. I've watched the hand sanitizer for a couple cycle and dupes never seem to use it. I've only built it twice over hundreds of hours and it rarely gets used.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

temple posted:

That's a good suggestion and end game once my reservoir fills. I needed extra water for all the bristle blossom plants but one geyser seems to drain while this one doesn't. Plumbing is probably one of the hardest things for me to deal with in game. I wish they had large pipes for backbone infrastructure.

Heating and cooling is the hardest thing for me. The biggest issue is cooling the geyser water to put into the reservoir, and the best solution I’ve found is to use cooled hydrogen gas in a pool in the ice biome. Also cooling a bunch of NGGs together is annoying but less important, I can usually get by with building them out of gold so they don’t break due to heat.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe this has had a thread for months and I haven't seen it. I've been playing this a lot, it's a great game.

Here's a few tricks if you're like me and like having a base just run for hundreds of cycles:

CO2 scrubbers are power and water hungry for what they do. CO2 also freezes at like -70 degrees. I have a co2 pit with 10s of tons of co2 in little bundles on the ground, just running 2 thermal regulators on ~20% duty cycle (so like 100W total) through it. My entire co2 production is routed in there, and it's being handled with ease.

If you play long, sand is an issue. If you're filtering excess polluted water or oxygen with sand, it'll become a problem. An easy way to clean oxygen is to liquify it, polluted oxygen turns straight into liquid oxygen. Similarly with water, polluted water boils at slightly above 120 degrees, turning into steam, which will condense into clean water when cooled down.

For extremely long playthroughs (thousands of cycles), your main enemy will be heat. Everything you do produces heat, steam vents produce shitloads of heat, but the only permanent cold source is the wheezewarts.

Dogen posted:

Heating and cooling is the hardest thing for me.

My favourite heating/cooling method is radiators (links because pics are huge):
https://udba.org/oni/Screenshot%20(8).png
https://udba.org/oni/Screenshot%20(9).png

The valve there is set to 200g/s, which means the thermo regulators cool one packet every 5s (they stop if they can't output their current contents). This is enough to convert all co2 from my base and also 4 constantly running natural gas generators into dry ice. Heating works the same way, but use geyser water and liquid pipes, since that heat is free. Granite pipes conduct heat very well, abyssalite pipes will prevent pretty much all leakage in places you don't want heat exchange.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

My water reservoir was already cold, around 20 degrees, geyser water eventually cooled as well. Temperature is weird in this game. I run abysslite pipes to my base for feeding geyser water straight into machines.

I really don't sweat making bases perfect because there are a lot of changes bound to come. I barely made it to 300 cycles on my current base because its gets so boring.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I bailed on a base once because the geyser water got to the point where it made everything uncomfortably hot in a way that snuck up on me such that the time where I could have easily fixed it was past.

I do use a coiled hydrogen gas granite radiator thing but it doesn’t seem to work as well as I’d like. I think temp transfer physics is still not working correctly.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I wish they would rework phase changes. Not being able to cool a gas to liquid without using hydrogen is annoying.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dogen posted:

I think temp transfer physics is still not working correctly.

It's too slow, because only 1g of fluid inside a pipe can affect its temperature per tick or somesuch, so the pipes barely get cooled by the thing inside. Dunno if this is intentional or not. Presumably no.

Honestly though, I'm having bigger issues boiling things than cooling them down. There's no easy way to boil even water, without using exploits, whereas cooling down everything is as easy as getting some hydrogen into a pipe loop.

Mr. Powers posted:

I wish they would rework phase changes. Not being able to cool a gas to liquid without using hydrogen is annoying.

I actually like not being able to just put something into a series of thermo regulators anymore, but I also played dwarf fortress pretty much exclusively to make dumb contraptions.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I don't have a lot of problems with temperature. Don't know why to be exact. Worse come to worse, I'd make 2 of core buildings and start alternating when they work or putting them on a thermo switch. I don't think the game is meant to be played for 1000s of hours, that seems to be extreme mode. I figure klei will add more tools for dealing with colony wide issues over time. There are many different directions the game could go.

I would like to see a manual pump for small quantities of liquids and gas. Longer night cycles, nocturnal dupes, more interaction with time. Stuff like seasons, more pronounced geyser cycles so alternative solutions are needed than the current infinite resources. More stress relief options, like a game room that requires 2 dupes to operate, dupes sleep any time they are tired, more control over when they eat. Medical stuff is coming next patch so that will resolve issues with sick dupes. I really want a better jobs menu so that related jobs are combined instead of individual tasks that can't be prioritized without turning things on and off. Like farming, digging, and cooking takes 2 tasks, it throws off the priority system. Its noticeable at small dupe numbers. Delivering should be specific to the job its supporting instead of delivery any and everything. There should be a new job like cleaning that handles sweeping, mopping, and now the bottle emptier.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Is there a good way to transport clean ice to your reservoir and turn it to water? I jammed it all in a storage bin, but it's not melting. I was hoping it would act like gas and leak out.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It’s real stupid, the whole amount has to hit 1C, then it all melts at once. If you have a lot of ice in there it takes a long time. Since there is infinite fresh water it’s not worth messing with.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Overwined posted:

Is there a good way to transport clean ice to your reservoir and turn it to water? I jammed it all in a storage bin, but it's not melting. I was hoping it would act like gas and leak out.

You could install a liquid tepidizer above the reservoir in a box, place the ice and some water in it. It should thaw after a couple a cycles (video).

If you have a really deep pit for the steam geyser, you can place the ice in a container under the steam vent and it will thaw pretty fast. That's silly, using water to make water but it works.

Steam is the best way to thaw ice honestly.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

New gameplay preview from Klei

It will be called the outbreak update. Due in another 3-4 weeks (said this last time 2 weeks ago). Its at a playable state but they are balancing it.

They answered a lot of questions related to other stuff. Most stuff people want is far off like gas storage, smelting, more uses of computer stations, cooling options, strength training. They read the feedback forum weekly, maybe more. Most of this update has addressed issues from earlier in the development.

Pathogens (germs) aren't as aggressive as they seem. They gather and die over time. Germs can be controlled by placing wash basins at important parts of the colony. Chlorine will kill germs. It can be used to sanitize an area if pumped into it. Hand sanitizer will no longer emit chlorine and kill pathogens outright (whereas the wash basin transfers them into polluted water). The disinfect job will clean pathogens from surfaces, takes time like moping, but can be used on any surface (like ladders). The immunity stat will create dupes that are super resistant to some pathogens (like how iron gut is supposed to work).

Ruins will be scattered in the world and they will explain some of the story to the game (not previewed). They will give boons of some form.

Aid is going to be a new skill to apply treatment when dupes are using the medical cot (affected by the medicine stat).

The liquid bottler will pump out as much water as needed for jobs. So if a machine needs 50kg of water, the dupes will pump that amount instead of running back and forth with smaller quantities. Water consumption is more noticeable with the liquid bottler. Water can be transferred without pumps by making a liquid bottler and bottle emptier and having the bottler emptier accept deliveries (new feature).

Aliens will have personality. The light bug will attract other light bugs.

Plants will produce seeds so no pressure with making sustainable farms. The quantity of seeds was not disclosed.

temple fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 28, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

drat, another 3-4 weeks? That's... pretty bad.

I mean I can understand the desire to balance things further, but the game is on EA for gently caress's sake. Just release it and get feedback from people who actually matter: the players.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

drat, another 3-4 weeks? That's... pretty bad.

I mean I can understand the desire to balance things further, but the game is on EA for gently caress's sake. Just release it and get feedback from people who actually matter: the players.

some player on release day posted:

*fourty minutes of fart noises*

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Also.... food can be preserved in a sterile environment like CO2 but it will not kill pathogens. Refrigeration will kill most pathogens. They can only thrive in certain temp ranges.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

New update stream Aug 3. Outbreak "upgrade" will be released Aug 24th. Not much exciting was demo'd. They said that dwarf fortress and world of sand were the inspirations for ONI.

Medicine
Medical cots have a range (sorta like the tiles when sneezing happens) that require a bathroom and food near it. A dupe will come and doctor the cot's inhabitant.

Art
The Multi-tool has a new animation and model for disinfection jobs. New masterpiece portraits are done but may not be in the update. There is new music and it changes based on zoom, pause, overlay, idle and beginning a new job. Geysers will look different and spawn in more intelligently (not covered in tiles).

Plants and Food
Plants or food can't be disinfected. Items in storage (like fridge) can be selected and marked for compost to get rid of contamination. The Plant UI is much more detailed and clear. Plants don't use the gas they are in.

Pathogens
Food poisoning makes a dupe vomit everywhere. Pathogens don't spread indefinitely, they either grow or die. They can increase their volume if they are in a growing medium. Otherwise, they will die out eventually. Pathogens spread on contact and conserve mass. So a building can have pathogens in it but will not spread (like the inside of a pipe). If you repair or de-construct the building, the colony will be exposed.

Corrections
The hand sanitizer will still leak chlorine but chlorine kills germs so it is a tradeoff.

Future plans
Steam power, random events, explosions.

temple fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 4, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

temple posted:

New update stream Aug 3. Outbreak "upgrade" will be released Aug 24th.

Three loving months for a content patch.

:cripes:

temple
Jul 29, 2006

New Outbreak update stream 8/17
100% positive the update will be out on Thursday 8/24

Old saves will work but will not have the update features.

New structures
Thermo Aquatuner uses a water input and output. Lowers the water's temperature while giving off heat. Must be in water. It uses 1.2kw so it must be connected to heavy watt wire.
Ore scrubber cleans ore of pathogens using chlorine.
Chlorine geysers are placed in the world

New feature
Games settings lets you set the immune system of dupes and their disposition. Disposition determines their stress tolerance. More settings will be added later.

They played the game and answered questions

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Thank god for water cooling options.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dogen posted:

Thank god for water cooling options.

I know, right? We have all these hot water steam geysers and nothing to cool it with so our dupes don't get burnt.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

enraged_camel posted:

Three loving months for a content patch.

:cripes:

I love Klei but this game seems like it'll never be as good as Don't starve, and they're also working on griftlands right now which frankly looks better than this one too. Maybe everyone wants to work on griftlands instead of this, but, since they're already selling this they can't just close off the project and refund everyone.
edit: I hope I enjoy this but for now it's not really fun. I hope it gets more fun...

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Chlorine geysers sound pretty nightmarish.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Chlorine geysers sound pretty nightmarish.
Its so chlorine will be a renewable resource for disinfecting. Like pump chlorine into a slime biome to kill all the pathogens.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah honestly it's not as if it's hard to just seal off a geyser area to prevent gas escaping. If it goes overpressure it just stops producing gas, it won't break your walls/doors or anything.

(Also I think Chlorine is still harmless for now - they can't breathe it but that's the only negative effect, so it's functionally equivalent to CO2)

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 23, 2017

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Saw in announcements on the oni discord server the next content packs won’t be so far apart and they’re going to have scheduled releases. I’m looking forward to getting back into it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The germ update is going to change the game in a lot of ways. People won't be able to let polluted oxygen flood their base and build stuff any where. Water will be directly managed. Plants will be more demanding in ways different than yield. Ruins will give provide a reason for exploring. Its been a while (I started with the ag update) but it will make the game more "gamey". Colonies will be more thoughtful and bigger.

temple fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 23, 2017

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dogen posted:

Saw in announcements on the oni discord server the next content packs won’t be so far apart and they’re going to have scheduled releases. I’m looking forward to getting back into it.

This post showed up on Steam:

quote:

Hey Everyone!

This Thursday, we will be launching our next big content update since the Agricultural Upgrade. The “Outbreak Upgrade” introduces a whole host of things, including new buildings, points of interest to discover, revamped farming, quality of life improvements, bug fixes, tweaks, and of course a whole new disease system for your Dupes to enjoy.

We also understand that it’s been quite a while since our last large content update. While we’ve been releasing hotfix updates and giving information on our progress via things like the Rhymes With Play devcast[twitch.tv], we understand that it’s been almost 3 months since the last big content release. The reason for the length of time is because adding a new system like Disease touches every part of the game, and it took us quite a while to balance and fix things as it was introduced. However, we believe that iteration time was too long, and we’ve decided to commit ourselves to a tighter loop.

Some of you may know from Don’t Starve, Don’t Starve Together, and Invisible, Inc. that we often have an Update Timer to inform you when the next big update will be arriving. We’ve decided to implement that for Oxygen Not Included: starting Thursday, the timer will be set to 6 weeks. This gives us enough time to develop good features for a systems-heavy game like ONI, while also providing a concrete time frame for our community.

In the upcoming upgrades, you’ll see us flesh out the content and tech tree, create more variety in the world, add more interaction between the Dupes, and begin filling in the lore of the world.

So yeah, they know they have been sucking, which is good. We'll see if they'll be able to stick to a 6-week release cycle. It's still too long IMO but I'll take it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Update downloading :awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzqGcL7g1M

temple fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 24, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So you need to build a bottling pump over a pool of water in order for dupes to move it around into cooking stations and terrariums, They can't just beam it straight into their backpacks, fortunately it seems the liquid bottler has a really long pipe beneath it so it automatically fits deep or shallow pools.

The handwash station doesn't need chlorine, but it does need to be emptied of polluted water occasionally, and it doesn't use pipes, so you have to unbottle it with an unbottling machine. Probably should put that behind closed doors, over a cesspit.

Fortunately it seems like disinfecting stuff is pretty fast overall. You just need to stay in top of it.

The UI got improved. You can see at a glance what crops are growing or ready to harvest, and there's a handy attack tool. Seems like the item description box got updated too.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

You can't mop bodies of water any more. Only spills, small amounts.
Plants are a lot easier to grow

Revised tech tree

*ominous music*

temple fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 25, 2017

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I noticed that too. Weeeeirrd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I was dicking around, trying to remember how to play. I thought "time to get some geysers". Then it hit me. "Oh that's where all the germs are...."