Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I also forgot that college classes start back up this week and everyone in the drat country floods the towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

A Man and his dog posted:

I also forgot that college classes start back up this week and everyone in the drat country floods the towns.

Our store is the opposite; we're in a big summer-tourism area but in between a major city and a college town, both of which have their own stores. Ours is slammed between May and September, at which point all the river stuff and the water park close and we're dead for the rest of the year. For some reason they can't figure out how to staff our particular location so we're either running on a skeleton crew when it's busy as gently caress or have six people there and don't even do 2k for the day.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anygoon ever work in Napa County? I'm looking to transition to high-end poo poo there once I've got some more experience and was curious which places would be good to shoot for.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well this is loving lovely

(For those who don't want to read it, Susur Lee's restos have been essentially stealing the tips of their employess, in violation of the labour code)

Is this as widespread as I fear it is?

One of the people that posted that link in my newsfeed today followed it up with a story that basically said "I used to work with these dudes, good on them, I hope it brings about some change, I just wish it would have changed before I had to pay $200+ for the Yuzu incident LOL!", the "Yuzu incident" basically being she hosed up and spilled 4 shots, and then was not only made to pay for those, but for the guy's entire bill, including the things he ordered after the spill happened.

So hosed.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Uhhhhh yeah gently caress that.....

This Industry :suicide:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Working multiple jobs a different points gives me nightmares of forgetting to show up to a shift at a job I quit years ago.

I now work in a place where everybody shares cooking/serving/register duties and we depend on tips. Today the business earned more in taxes than it did in tips. I do like the actual work and my boss is a fantastic guy and the food is amazing, but I'm doing more and more every night since one manager keeps injuring himself to the point where he can barely lift chairs, and a co-worker girl comes in blasted on Benzies and does almost literally nothing all day (she's also loving said manager). I'm working with a friend I'd lost contact with in high school after kids staged a riot against him (Appalachian high school suuuucked) and we work great together but we're getting less shifts together so I'm spending more and more nights just doing practically everything and I'm burning out hard. I think I'm mostly just sick of closing. An hour of scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, and restocking after getting hit all night just to come in the next day and get chided for forgetting to refill one thing loving blows.

I'm going to be starting programming classes at the local tech school soon. I can't take this anymore.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

It's a 3 year old article, but this just got posted over in the PYF Dumb Marketing thread, and I thought my industry brethren would get a kick out of it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hedge-fund-presentation-on-olive-garden-is-a-masterpiece-2014-9

Unlike what Olive Garden serves, it's juicy, delicious, and done to a perfect roast.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

JacquelineDempsey posted:

It's a 3 year old article, but this just got posted over in the PYF Dumb Marketing thread, and I thought my industry brethren would get a kick out of it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-hedge-fund-presentation-on-olive-garden-is-a-masterpiece-2014-9

Unlike what Olive Garden serves, it's juicy, delicious, and done to a perfect roast.

I remember when this first came out, I read through half of the actual powerpoint itself. It was pretty interesting stuff.

Also interesting that after they took over Darden, their changes actually turned things around for OG.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Plan Z posted:

Working multiple jobs a different points gives me nightmares of forgetting to show up to a shift at a job I quit years ago.

I now work in a place where everybody shares cooking/serving/register duties and we depend on tips. Today the business earned more in taxes than it did in tips. I do like the actual work and my boss is a fantastic guy and the food is amazing, but I'm doing more and more every night since one manager keeps injuring himself to the point where he can barely lift chairs, and a co-worker girl comes in blasted on Benzies and does almost literally nothing all day (she's also loving said manager). I'm working with a friend I'd lost contact with in high school after kids staged a riot against him (Appalachian high school suuuucked) and we work great together but we're getting less shifts together so I'm spending more and more nights just doing practically everything and I'm burning out hard. I think I'm mostly just sick of closing. An hour of scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, and restocking after getting hit all night just to come in the next day and get chided for forgetting to refill one thing loving blows.

I'm going to be starting programming classes at the local tech school soon. I can't take this anymore.

Goondolences, Z. I'd hoped that place would be different. Glad you're getting out.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Okay, finally have all this sorted out. Accepted offer in Malibu. Could have gotten the other one but the timing didn't work and the job in Malibu was a sure thing, and I am moving across the country, so I didn't want to risk anything.

Having said that, where do I live if I work in Malibu? I don't mind a 45 minute commute in order to save on rent. I'm just not entirely sure where to start looking.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

cods posted:

Okay, finally have all this sorted out. Accepted offer in Malibu. Could have gotten the other one but the timing didn't work and the job in Malibu was a sure thing, and I am moving across the country, so I didn't want to risk anything.

Having said that, where do I live if I work in Malibu? I don't mind a 45 minute commute in order to save on rent. I'm just not entirely sure where to start looking.

Hahahahaha.

Nowhere near Malibu and you commute will be longer than 45 minutes.

You want cheap rent go up into the valley.

Alright having gotten that out of the way you have to decide.

What do you want? Can you live in a one bedroom or studio, park on the street and don't mind using a laundromat? You can get something in Santa Monica for around 2k or less.

If you need more space you have to move further inland and north.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 22, 2017

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
We are looking for cheap, 1br it studio, use laundromat, street parking, etc. We are trying to do the opposite of what we did here in NY and live a little below instead of above our means. What about Canoga Park area?

It's also our first year, so we are willing to really suck it up and save on cost/pay off some stuff.

cods fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 22, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

cods posted:

depending on where in malibu you might want to look into getting a place in oxnard and commuting down pch. traffic's bad on beach days, but generally decent and oxnard is by far the cheapest place i can think of remotely close to malibu. if you have to go really barebones for rent, south central area is going to be cheapest on the westside, but it'll probably be gentrified in few years anyway and you have to fight through the 10/405 interchange to get to malibu

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not sure about canoga park specifically, but woodland hills and calabasas are some of the priciest real estate in the region. also the commute through the canyons is unbelievably bad

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I am so glad I got out of cooking

It was a nightmare. Stressed out constantly, poo poo pay, had to deal with idiots, aggressive coworkers, a creepy, overbearing head chef. Managed to land a nice cushy desk job that pays nearly twice as much, gives me a decent schedule, benefits in a few months, and coworkers who actually know what they're doing and aren't assholes.

Never again.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

In the ongoing saga of Weird poo poo Happening At Work, we tend to hang out outside on the patio for a bit after we close, since the pizza place next door gets out around the same time and we're friends with a bunch of them as well. Apparently right after I left the other night, some incredibly crazy dude claiming to be a former Marine that shot up his apartment and was on the run from the cops in San Antone decided to come talk to the four (two of ours, two of the pizza place's) people still sitting outside chain-smoking. Nobody managed to get up the balls to leave until 45 minutes later, at which point our newest shift manager, who is infamously naive and will talk to anything with ears including corn, agreed to give the crazy dude a ride one town over (where every single one of us lives). The two from the pizza place tried to leave a few minutes before, but felt bad that our AGM was out there and clearly too nervous to get up and leave, and the new shift manager had no intention of stopping the weird-rear end conversation that apparently only he could understand.

Honestly I'm shocked one of them didn't just call the cops, but from what I could piece together from their recounting later they were all scared of the dude, for various reasons (there was only one white, straight person in the group and this dude did not give off the impression he was particularly fond of Different People).

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Verisimilidude posted:

Stressed out constantly, poo poo pay

Thread title pls.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

I remember when this first came out, I read through half of the actual powerpoint itself. It was pretty interesting stuff.

Also interesting that after they took over Darden, their changes actually turned things around for OG.

http://www.businessinsider.com/olive-garden-still-wont-salt-pasta-2016-4

Olive Garden still not salting its pasta water after the takeover

Although I vaguely remember Mark Ladner mentioning on the radio that the quality of a lot of pasta cooking equipment went to poo poo in recent years, using cheaper steel and welds rusting apart after a few months.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 26, 2017

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Gotta admit I'm a little baffled as to how salting your pasta water leads to such colossal equipment failure that Darden thought it best to skimp on that. Obv I get that salt + water + metal = rust (I'm from upstate NY and old enough to remember when rustproofing your car was routine maintenance), but are they not washing the pots or what? Are they buying pots made from the undercarriage of my dad's 1979 Chevette?

When I was dishbitch for the Army, you best believe they had the cheapest, thinnest, weakest aluminum pots imaginable, but I never had one rust or break a weld, despite the volume of cooking for 2000+ soldiers a day. And hooboy did those cooks like to salt the ever-living gently caress out of everything, so that clearly wasn't a factor.

:iiam:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Gotta admit I'm a little baffled as to how salting your pasta water leads to such colossal equipment failure that Darden thought it best to skimp on that. Obv I get that salt + water + metal = rust (I'm from upstate NY and old enough to remember when rustproofing your car was routine maintenance), but are they not washing the pots or what? Are they buying pots made from the undercarriage of my dad's 1979 Chevette?

When I was dishbitch for the Army, you best believe they had the cheapest, thinnest, weakest aluminum pots imaginable, but I never had one rust or break a weld, despite the volume of cooking for 2000+ soldiers a day. And hooboy did those cooks like to salt the ever-living gently caress out of everything, so that clearly wasn't a factor.

:iiam:

It wasn't that Darden was worried about the damage but that they could save money on the warranty agreements by promising to not salt the water. It was one greedy business skull loving another greedy business and the customers got lovely, poorly salted food as a result.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Aluminum can corrode for other reasons, but it doesn't rust. Be aware that many online sources talking about aluminum cookware erosion are pseudoscience Mercola-type stuff.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gods help me, double today :suicide:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Lunch shift then Sunday drinks! Woo!

Sorry io :(

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

Called out yesterday because I'm not driving 20 miles down the freeway in edge-of-a-hurricane winds and rain, but can't really get away with it today. If I miss any more hours we're gonna have trouble paying bills. At least the wind died down some. :( Texas folks, I hope y'all and/or your restaurants didn't drown!

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

We had one of those "acid bins" (I don't really know what it was) at my hotel job for the dishwashers. It was great for cleaning steel stuff and could strip the nastiest burns and sludge from a pot. But once in a while the memo wouldn't go out that you couldn't put aluminum sheet trays in the thing and you'd just have someone pull out a stack of rectangular wire frames because the rest of the thing was just gone.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I have to work with a women all day who is going to be fired at the end of the night...

Woof.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I have to work with a women all day who is going to be fired at the end of the night...

Woof.

maybe she'll be willing to get down after she's been fired

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Woof.

Had to do that yesterday. Hard to smile back at them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Woof.

does she know? You should tell her. I would want to know.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

JawKnee posted:

does she know? You should tell her. I would want to know.

I'm not sure "You're fired, enjoy your shift." goes over that well. It's more "You're fired, enjoy... Hey wait, where are you going? You've got work to do!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The fact that he knows before her means management hosed up big time.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Not disagreeing with that, cause yeah. I'm just saying telling somebody they're fired at the start of a shift is just going to lead to having to do all their work too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The General posted:

Not disagreeing with that, cause yeah. I'm just saying telling somebody they're fired at the start of a shift is just going to lead to having to do all their work too.

Yeah definitely, it's a situation where there's no polite way to handle it. Best case is you tell her and she uses her last shift to try and keep her job, but even that is cruel because it almost certainly wouldn't work.

I wouldn't tell her.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, if the decision to cut someone loose was made say, that day, and you haven't had time to cover the shift, you don't say poo poo until after.

The fact that anybody else other than management knows is hosed up though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've put up an effortpost of resources for anyone in the Harvey-effected area here.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The General posted:

right, and I think that's selfish

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ow my everything

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Well this is loving lovely

(For those who don't want to read it, Susur Lee's restos have been essentially stealing the tips of their employess, in violation of the labour code)

Is this as widespread as I fear it is?

It currently even happens where I work

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, for the record, I knew someone was getting fired before they were all of... twice. First one was as they were coming in (I had a feeling they were), the other was someone who was really flaky on doing their work and showing up on time during training and never made it out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
5 concussions in 3 months means I need an EEG, MRI, and neuropsychologist evaluation. Good thing I'm not doing poo poo til the new place opens in October, lol